My TV popularity should not drive my film roles

veenisha thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Aamna: My TV popularity should not drive my film roles

A fortnight back, Aamna Shariff was seen in ALOO CHAAT. The film didn't go on to do much at the box office and Aamna Shariff too was deprived of a platform that could have touted her as the next big thing from the world of television. Even though Aamna has moved on, she defends her choice of the film.

''When I signed on ALOO CHAAT, it was done with all the confidence. There are no regrets attached to my choice. When the makers approached me for the role, they did so like they would have had done for any newcomer. Frankly, I liked their attitude because they didn't want me to do the film just in order to cash in on my TV popularity. They took me on because they felt that I could truly do justice to the role'', says Aamna who is guarded about her upcoming films which are in the pipeline.

''One thing is for sure though that I will never allow my TV stint to be a deciding factor for the film makers. They have to approach me for the parts that they believe would suit me'', she adds, ''I am open to glamorous roles as well but then the fact is that audiences have seen enough of glamour. Now the trend is changing and people want to see good content based film. That's the kind of movies I wish to do''.

Now that her first film has released, how does she feel her transition from TV to Bollywood has been?

''Honestly, it wasn't very easy or tough for transition. I never thought on those lines'', she smiles, ''But yes, it was good to be a part of 'naach-gaana' routine. I continue to get compliments for my songs like 'Dhadke Jiya' as well as RDB's music video of 'Aloo Chaat'. It has been fun so far.''