Will your PC be hijacked on April 1? mod note pg2

Posted: 15 years ago
Moderator's Note:
Guys

This was meant to be an INFORMATIVE POST - To protect your Pc's from such Viruses. Like i have said down below - Just because its near Apeil 1st - every post we make isn't a prank.

Link below - go search the Virsu yourself - i dont think thousands of websites would all do the same Prank Joke would they?

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2239327/cool-conflicker-panic-say

No joke in April Fool's Day computer worm

CNN - ?Mar 24, 2009?

Will PC worm turn nasty on April Fool's Day?

Times Online - ?Mar 23, 2009?

So we can PLEASE get off this 'oh its a joke' topic please - because others would all get on the bandwagon and this VIRUS IS REAL - So people might not be fully protected and so dont be ignorant as I-F users who aren't protected can be at risk.

MILLIONS of computers around the world could go into meltdown on April 1 because of a deadly virus.

The Windows worm called Conficker could give a hacker unrestricted access to every infected machine on the planet.

And the aggressive bug could be hiding on your PC at home right now, waiting to kick in.

For the hackers, it's like having a virtual army at their fingertips.

The criminals behind it have the power to launch a tidal wave of junk emails, bringing computers grinding to a halt.

They could also plunder information, including your bank details.

But the truth is that the best techie brains in the business just don't know exactly what the hackers have in mind.

Infected

Virus expert Mikko Hypponen, from the firm F-Secure, said: "It is scary thinking about how much control a hacker could have over all these computers. They would have access to millions of machines."

Microsoft, who developed the Windows computer operating system, have slapped a 175,000 bounty on whoever is responsible, so far without success.

The sophisticated Conficker bug ' also known as Downadup or Kido ' targets systems via the web and can be spread on memory sticks.

More than nine million computers were infected at the bug's peak last month.

And if Conficker is still on your system come Wednesday, you could be in trouble.

Once inside your PC, it sets up files and starts downloading information from a controlling "boss" server.

Finding that website and the mastermind behind it all is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

That is because the bug creates hundreds of bogus addresses every day to put investigators off the scent.

The infected PCs then form a network and "talk" to each other, updating and evolving.

The bug even attacks anti-virus software and other files on your computer to strengthen its position.

And it resets "restore" points, making recovery of your old system even harder.

The first of three Conficker strains was discovered in November last year.

A second, more aggressive strain followed in December and a third this month. This contains the all-important April 1 trigger.

Trigger

To avoid infection, Windows users must download a special free update "patch" from the Microsoft website. But that isn't enough ' you also need good anti-virus software too.

Many businesses around the world are thought also to be at risk after failing to update systems.

Graham Cluley, from computer security firm Sophos, warned: "Microsoft did a good job of updating people's home computers.

"But the virus continues to infect businesses that have ignored the update."

He also stressed the need for strong passwords on your computer, adding: "If users are using weak passwords ' 12345, QWERTY etc ' then the virus can crack them."

F-Secure's Mikko warned potential problems with Conficker would be highlighted wildly before April 1.

But he said he didn't foresee an attack, despite the fears and mystery surrounding the problem.

He said: "There's always hype ' just think of previous cases.

"There is not going to be a 'global virus attack'. We don't know what they are planning to do, if anything.

"I think the machines that are already infected might do something new on April 1."

Let's hope, for everyone's sake, that it turns out to be an April Fools' Day hoax.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/article2344144.ece TEST your system's safety for free by attempting to go to f-secure.com. If you can't, you can download the patch at microsoft.com to disinfect your PC.

Q and A @ fsecure - very useful - like this.

Q: How do I know if I'm infected?
A: Try to surf to www.f-secure.com. If you can't reach our website you might be infected, as Downadup/Conficker blocks access to security vendor's websites. Don't tell anybody, but users who can't access f-secure.com because of this can surf to ****Edited by me not sure if they would want actual webby posted everywhere but just PM me***** instead.
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001636.html

Originally posted by: anon

Here's some details, basically it is media hype - because this virus is already out there but the update of the virus is there. Read below

Q: So, what will it do on April 1st?
A: So far, Conficker has been polling 250 different domain names every day to download and run an update program. On April 1st, the latest version of Conficker will start to poll 500 out of 50,000 domains a day to do the same thing.
: But doesn't that mean that if the bad guys wanted to run something on those machines, they don't need to wait for April 1st?
A: Yes! Which is another reason why it's unlikely anything major will happen on April 1st.

: So, should I keep my PC shut down on April 1st?
A: No. You should make sure it's clean before April 1st.

: I'm confused. How can you know beforehand that there will be a global virus attack on April 1st? There must be a conspiracy here!
A: Yes, you're confused. There is not going to be a "global virus attack". The machines that are already infected might do something new on April 1st. We know this because we have reverse engineered the worm code and can see that this is what it has been programmed to do.
Q: And they could download that program not just on April 1st but also on any day after that?
A: Correct. So there's no reason why they wouldn't do it on, say, April 5th instead of April 1st.

All courstesy of fsecure.

• to those thinking its some trick from me
    Honestly, its not my trick - tbh April 1st wasn't on my mind - just saw the news article and thought to share. Even if it turns out to be April 1st trick - then that wasnt my intention lol and im NOT from IT sector so i dont have a clue about virus names/how they work and where to find Info - NEWS ARTICLE IS REAL.

If you guys want news article link let me find it - why would i go to so much effort to write a news article 😆 and copy/paste info was real - link is there - go check it out. 😳
  • Edited by anon - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Dakoo_Minzy* thumbnail
    Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
    thnx for the info!

well......wat if a Linux user? Do tey hav prob too?....
    Edited by *Dakoo_Minzy* - 15 years ago
    Originally posted by: *Dakoo_Minzy*

thnx for the info!

well......wat if a Linux user? Do tey hav prob too?....

Not sure im not IT expert, but read this.

: I just checked, and my Windows machine is clean. Is something going to happen to me on April 1st?
    A: No.

Q: I'm running a Mac, is something going to happen to me?
    A: No.

So i doubt it 😊
    sanober. thumbnail
    Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4

Whts imp on 1st April y only that day?

Here's some details, basically it is media hype - because this virus is already out there but the update of the virus is there. Read below

Q: So, what will it do on April 1st?
    A: So far, Conficker has been polling 250 different domain names every day to download and run an update program. On April 1st, the latest version of Conficker will start to poll 500 out of 50,000 domains a day to do the same thing.
    : But doesn't that mean that if the bad guys wanted to run something on those machines, they don't need to wait for April 1st?
    A: Yes! Which is another reason why it's unlikely anything major will happen on April 1st.

: So, should I keep my PC shut down on April 1st?
    A: No. You should make sure it's clean before April 1st.

: I'm confused. How can you know beforehand that there will be a global virus attack on April 1st? There must be a conspiracy here!
    A: Yes, you're confused. There is not going to be a "global virus attack". The machines that are already infected might do something new on April 1st. We know this because we have reverse engineered the worm code and can see that this is what it has been programmed to do.
    Q: And they could download that program not just on April 1st but also on any day after that?
    A: Correct. So there's no reason why they wouldn't do it on, say, April 5th instead of April 1st.

All courstesy of fsecure.

Edited by anon - 15 years ago
    Aahaana thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Thanks Anon...!

Last week the police departments nettwork was infected by Conficker and had to close some of their offices like the passport offices🤢 and investigators had to work with no access to important papers..so this orm is very dangerous..!

Let me stop using Xp abd go over to Mac for the upcoming week eventhought i have upgraded my F secure.
    sunidhifan4evr thumbnail
    Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
    guys this  a early april fools but nice
    Aahaana thumbnail
    Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
    Originally posted by: NeevPrachi4evr

guys this  a early april fools but nice

Like the millenium thingy for many years ago everyone was scared for their systems😆

the orm is true as it has infected many users world over...but i doubt the april 1st thing....😕
    phoenix_blogger thumbnail

:) maybe someone befooling us :)

-aditi- thumbnail
    thanks for informing:) right now thinking about the person who developed that malicious thing. The person deff would be having great brain for creating such worm than without a doubt. wonder why 1st april being chosen.Have F-secure and updates are on.Still hope the its just a hoax or may be what if the developer(s) people might consider it that way. Even if its true hope the mncs wont get affected and try to get a solution because earlier when such attacks had been done IT has faced lots of problems followed by millions of loss!