1987Roso thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
One thing I noticed in this show, that they don't wear Manglasutra's like anyother saas bahu shows? Is here a reason?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

evonora thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Maybe it's a Rajstani custom where you don't have to wear the Manglsutra…In RKAGB they don't wear Manglsura as well and that show also has Rajastani back drop…

shalgo thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i belong to rajasthan....and in rajasthan it is not essential to wear mangalsutra after marriage....Mnagalsutra is more like a jewellery accesory and can be worn on choice
mehraan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
thanx 4 the info on tis, i thought mmangalsutra is supposed 2 b wored by every bride, i didnt kno in  sme rajasthani customs its not allowed!anyways thanx 4 lettg kno !
1987Roso thumbnail
that is kinda kool its similier to punjab then
roshaaan thumbnail
yeh amy be in rajsthan they dont wear mangalsutr
sushmac thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I don't wear mine everyday either - just on special occasiona - when attending marriages or for karvachauth
1987Roso thumbnail
i didnt see a karva chouth in this show either even though it passed it
gawker thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

the mangalsutra was never worn in earlier days in rajasthan, bengal, punjab and most of the north. the sindoor was considered the real mark of a married woman. in maharashtra they wore the mangalsutra, but no sindoor. in the south, esp. karnataka, the toe rings are even more important than the mangalsutra.

the mangalsutra has only come into fashion in a pan indian way recently. nowadays communities that never wore it also wear it, including some muslims. but its worn as a matter of choice, not a trational requirement.
Desdemona thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
In Andhra, married women must wear  Mangalasutra all the time.  As it is the indication of husband's life It is inauspicious to remove that anytime.  But Mangalasutra here is not the black beads chain with locket . That is actually   added to the main mangalasutra which means   two gold small discs of   50 np coin size  with little   flower pattern engraved on the top ( the weight of each disc varries below 10 grams of gold depending on the family custom)  tied   to  a gold chain weighing atleast 3 sovereigns of gold.
The two gold discs are  to be presented to the bride by their mother and mother-in-law during the marriage ritual  after  the precise muhurat.  At that time it is tied by the groom  with  a 22" long 9 layered white thread   smeared  completely with wet turmeric paste  with 3 knots. For each knot there  is an oath taken by the groom.  Everyone bless the couple throwing akshithas (dry  rice grains dipped in wet  turmeric paste)  There are are many more customs follwed . All   the marriage ritauls   are  witnesed  by each and every one who attend the marriage.
  On the 16th day   after the marriage a  festival feast is to be organized to  the near and dear ones at the sasural. Then the girl can change  and tie the discs in  a new gold chain  which she should  wear lifelong.
 I feel It is high time somebody show the south Indian marriage rituals in our serials in Hindi serials also.
Edited by Desdemona - 15 years ago