Zareena thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
Hairdressers Assoc wants Billu Barber's title changed

By: Upala KBRDate: 2009-02-07
Mumbai:

Doesn't quite have the same ring... and yet, The Salon and Beauty Parlors Association wants the title of the film changed

These days every new release seems to be running into trouble. Last week, it was MNS bristling over the Pakistani players in Victory, this week the Salon and Beauty Parlors Association are agitated because they don't like the title of SRK's Billu Barber, which releases this coming Friday.

The association finds the word 'barber' objectionable. This, after SRK tied up with over 500 'barber' shops across the city and has sent them vinyls of the film, and cassettes and CDs of the film to be displayed and played at their shops.

Galat perception?

Suresh Amre of New India Hair Art in Andheri, says, "The President of our association (Maharashtra), Uday Takke, has sent us letters saying: 'Yeh log hum pe galat film bana rahe hai. Hum sab February 12 ko special screening dekhne jaa rahe hai Chandan theatre mein.' "

Uday adds that if they find anything offensive in the film, then they will decide what action to take. He confirms, "We have been given vinyl posters and CDs to put up in the shops."

Uday Takke adds, "We want Billu Barber to be called Billu Hairdresser as barber is a derogatory and insulting term. We choose hairdressing as a profession because it is an art. Also there are many women hairstylists if Billu Barber becomes a hit, women hairdressers will be called barbers too!"

Why the delayed reaction?

Takke continues, "I was out of Mumbai attending seminars in Jaipur which is why there's a delayed reaction to the issue. Our association secretary has spoken to Shah Rukh Khan's secretary who has promised to have a special screening for us on February 12.

But I want it to be held on February 9, so that if there's anything objectionable in the film, we can get it changed. If they don't, the association members will take to the streets to protest against the film. There are 27000 association members in Mumbai and 3.5 lakh in Maharashtra."

No disrespect

When told about Takke's stand. Shah Rukh send a text message saying, "Oh wow! So much for freedom of expression. We have not made this film to disrespect anyone. As a matter of fact, when a title of the film is kept after the protagonist, it is only to honour that character.

If some people want to check the film because they feel better they are most welcome to do so. I am sure they will get a screening. My office must be keeping tabs on that. The film is about love and friendship... about relationships... and it is a very sweet and touching film.

Whoever, especially the women, when they saw Billu Barber, cried on being overwhelmed. There are only positive thoughts in the film. I'm sure the associations and the audience will appreciate our endeavour."

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2009/feb/070209-MNS-Beauty-Parlors-Pakistani-players-Victory-Billu-Barber-Suresh-Amre-Uday-Takke-Shah-Rukh.htm

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Zareena thumbnail
Shah Rukh assures to change 'Billu Barber' to 'Billu'

Spicezee Bureau

Mumbai, Feb 08: Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan has reportedly announced that he would get the title of 'Billu Barber' changed, as requested by 'The Salon and Beauty Parlours Association'.

SRK's decision is in response to the demands of the hairdressers' association, which finds the word 'barber' offensive. They expressed their objection when Shah Rukh tied up with over 500 barber shops across the city and sent them the cassettes and CDs of the film to be displayed and played at their shops.

Uday Takke, the President of a hairdresser association, had said, "We have been given vinyl posters and CDs to put up in the shops. We want 'Billu Barber' to be called 'Billu'. Hairdresser as barber is a derogatory and insulting term. We choose hairdressing as a profession because it is an art. Also there are many women hairstylists, if 'Billu Barber' becomes a hit, women hairdressers will be called barbers too!"

Well, 'Billu Barber' or 'Billu' is slated for release this Friday.

http://www.spicezee.com/articles/story22687.htm--
Zareena thumbnail
this is complete non sense. These barbers shouldn't be invited to the premiere. Barber isn't a abusive or down market word. I am sure these barber would be from some high society who doesn't want to compare themselves with village barber's. I'm just glad overseas prints are already sent, it would been so annoying to hear a beep while watching a movie.
sanober. thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 4
Lol... i really dont know whats wrong with teh title is abs fine...
Mrs-KaranKundra thumbnail
well
dnt know wat to say
lavienrose thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
oh no
now I'm usual to say Billu barber
Zareena thumbnail
SRK to drop 'derogatory' term 'Barber' from film posters

8 Feb 2009, 2129 hrs IST, PTI

NEW DELHI: After courting controversy days ahead of its release, Shah Rukh Khan's latest film 'Billu Barber' will see the term 'barber' dropped from
its hoardings and posters across the country following objections from an association of hairdressers, terming it "derogatory".

The actor-producer, who spoke to representatives of the Salon and Beauty Parlors' Association over the issue, on Sunday said his production house Red Chillies Entertainment will ensure that the term 'barber' is removed from all hoardings.

"We will put a piece of paper on the word barber wherever it can be done in India. We will send teams," Khan said.

"Posters and hoardings belong to the production, which is Red Chillies. It is a little expensive to try to change the posters, so, that we couldn't have done," he told a news channel.

The association had earlier objected to the title of the film, terming the use of the word 'barber' "objectionable and derogatory".

The association president Uday Takke had reportedly threatened to take to streets if the film, that is set to hit theatres next Friday, was released with some objectionable content.

Khan, who has a cameo in the Irrfan Khan-starrer, said though his company stood by the fact that there is nothing wrong with the use of the word 'barber', they did not want to offend anybody.

"I had a discussion with the association of hair dressers and salon of Maharashtra and elsewhere on phone. It think may be we were never wrong using the word barber because that is what we stand by, but they have their own take on that," the superstar said.

"Billu has been made with good feelings about love and goodness. If it is hurting somebody, let me not do it," the actor said.

Directed by Priyadarshan, the film which is a re-make of Tamil movie 'Kuselan' starring Rajnikanth, is roughly a take on the friendship shared by Krishna and Sudama.

Shah Rukh Khan's home-production is a story about a village barber, played by Irrfan Khan and his superstar friend, played by Shah Rukh himself. The film also stars Lara Dutta.

Asked if he made attempts to negotiate with the protesting party or to explain to them that there was nothing derogatory in the film's title, Khan said there was no such attempt and he was sure he did not want to render anybody "unhappy".

"If they understood that (that the title was not derogatory) they would not have an issue. In this case, I was very clear there is no legality involved and I would like to make sure that people are not unhappy.

"Also. I am unwell and going for a surgery and did not want to hurt anyone, so I took a decision without asking anyone else," said Khan.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/SRK_to_drop_term_Barber_from_film_posters/articleshow/4095854.cms

----
anna143 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Are you serious? These barbers havent even watched the movie yet and thr demanding such things. This is way too stupid.
Zareena thumbnail

Originally posted by: anna143

Are you serious? These barbers havent even watched the movie yet and thr demanding such things.This is way too stupid.

i agree, wonder what will they demand after watching the movie 😡
preetysadia thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
No comments............They should have waited for the movie..........