Anant Mahadevan says Ghar Ki Baat Hai

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Anant says Ghar Ki Baat Hai

After directing not-so-successful films like Anamika and Aksar, Anant Mahadevan has moved on to TV. He talks about Ghar ki Baat Hai, TV audiences and Red Alert.

How did Ghar Ki Baat Hai happen to you?

One day I got a call from Red Chillies' Idiot Box and they wanted me to direct this one. We had a talk about the entire idea of Ghar Ki Baat Hai and things fell into place easily

Is it because you are on good terms with SRK?

That could be one of the reasons but it can't be entirely because we have known each other since we did Circus together. But I also need to display my abilities with this task on hand.

Which is Ghar Ki Baat Hai, right?

It is not easy to hold the attention of the TV viewer. One needs a lot of talent and creativity to make viewers stick to the show. Ghar Ki Baat Hai is not about what happens in daily life in family but it's a different tickling sort of story where people live in apartments and peep out of their windows and notice funny things that happen. Each character has been defined to look funny and natural.

You have worked with SRK in both films and TV. How do you find him as a person?

SRK is a very good human being and we know each other since we did Circus together. It's good to work under his production when I am celebrating the 25th year in Bollywood. Ghar Ki Baat Hai is the best gift to celebrate with. I am really lucky that way. A good thing about him is he always thinks about the future like what will work in the long run and that's why he is successful.

How different is TV direction from film direction?

For a film, you have the audience and the screen and there is nothing in between to distract them. For a TV show, you have to grab the attention of the viewer through an empathetic and entertaining script because people have so many distractions at home like cooking and looking after children. If the viewers connect with the show, then you are successful. I think Ghar ki Baat Hai is connecting with viewers very well.

What will happen to your upcoming movie Red Alert? What is it about?

Yes the movie's shooting is over and the post production is on. It will release in the summer vacation this year. It is a Naxalite stpry starring Suniel Shetty, Sameera Reddy, Bhagyashree and Naseeruddin Shah with many other people. It tells the story of a common man who gets trapped by he Naxalites and how he escapes.

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/February/News_20090203_16