Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

'I am concentrating on Sitcoms and reality shows'

Decrease text sizeIncrease text size
January 31st, 2009
    Email this supplementary
  • Printer friendly version
I am concentrating on Sitcoms and reality shows

Q You had described your comeback as KBC host on television as 'homecoming.' Now, as television producer is it your second homecoming?
I started my career on TV with Fauji but I would have been nowhere had it not been for Aziz Mirza who asked me to come to Mumbai to work in his show Circus and then encouraged me to get into films. While I was busy with films Sameer (Nair) was the first person who brought me back on television as host. I am thankful to both Aziz and Sameer and I am happy to be working with them as producer. The idea is to make different but commercially viable stuff. We want to innovate and as producer I will give it my best shot. I am sure we will not let anyone down.

Q Do you think at a time when the GE market is fragmented, it is advisable to venture into TV production ?
Of course the market is fragmented but we don't mind taking a risk. In television programming, there is no such thing called opportune time. It is all about good content. If your show is good, it will work.

Q The key word is innovation. Will you bring in your vast cinematic expertise for innovating television content?
I have been making films since the last nine years and have got some expertise, which I will try to bring into television. The idea is to add more cinematic value to television content. We will do shows in different genres and every show will be unique.

Q Why did you choose to do a sitcom which is inspired by Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi? Is Ghar Ki Baat Hai a sequel to the classic sitcom of the 80s?
I love watching comedies and sitcoms. If you look at some of the best international sitcoms like Three's Company and Friends, they are quite similar to each other. The newness is in characters, situations and presentation. Ghar Ki Baat Hai is neither a sequel nor inspired by Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi. It is an original show. It's a tribute to Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi.

Q What's your level of involvement in the show? Did you decide the cast?
I am in the background but whenever I have the time I do like to discuss and debate on ideas. I think discussion and exchange of thoughts bring out the best result. When I have Aziz who was associated with Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi as creative head of the show and Anant (Mahadevan) as director, I don't need to
bother about the finer details. I am aware of what they are doing. As for the cast, I didn't have any say in it. All the actors of Ghar Ki Baat are of high calibre.

Q Will you be making special appearances in your sitcom?
Yes, I will make special appearances. Besides there will be other film celebrities walking into the serial each week.

Q What other shows are you planning?
I am concentrating on sitcoms and reality shows. The First Ladies is already on air and Ghar Ki Baat Hai is being launched this week. Our next production is Cheerleaders, a reality hunt for six cheerleaders for my franchise Kolkata Knight Riders, which will go on air in mid-March. Knights & Angels is another reality show, which will be launched on NDTV Imagine by the end of this year.

Q Will you host a show for Imagine?
I am under contract with Star for KBC and Paanchvi Paas. So hosting a show for Imagine is ruled out till I am done with my Star contract.

Q So will you be doing the new season of either KBC or Paanchvi Paas this year?
We are yet to decide on that.

A.L. Chougule

Edited by subha2601 - 15 years ago