Article: Salil Ankola It’s a new day

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Bollywood

It's a new day

Vickey Lalwani meets two troubled stars and comes away impressed with their determination to beat their private demons

By Vickey Lalwani
Posted On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 at 02:19:24 AM

Parineeta and Salil Ankola
He is not on the field anymore but he has tasted victory. Cricketer-turned-actor Salil Ankola has emerged a winner. Ankola is back from the rehabilitation centre in Pune where he had to be treated for alcoholism for four-and-half-months.

It may be recalled that Mumbai Mirror (November 8, 2008) was the first to break the story on Salil's alcoholism. Salil started as a social drinker, but soon became an addict. Thereafter he had severe depression and he required intensive medical treatment.

Looking fresh and relaxed, Salil recalls his experience, "Alcohol had become a habit with me for nearly three years. I really can't pinpoint how this addiction started. Certain things can't be explained in life."

He adds, "After reading your story, several people from the industry and the cricket world called and wished me a speedy recovery. I was in a rehabilitation centre in Pune for four months and was not allowed to meet anyone for one-and-half month. That was a restless period. But slowly things started changing for the better. I tell you, it was a disease and thank God I am fine now."

During this period, Salil's relationship with his kids had soured. He stopped giving time and attention to his 13-year-old son Karan who has been training for cricket in Pune. He would get exhausted after little work. Says Salil, "I used to accompany Karan on the field while he trained, but that stopped happening. Parineeta (Ankola's wife) asked me what I was up to. Having been a cricketer and a fitness freak, I realised that I was losing stamina. I used to get tired even while shooting on the sets."

He says, "I reached a point when I realised that I had to do something about it. It was also telling on my looks and work."

Parineeta, who joined us, said that there was a point when she had become very nervous and didn't know where Salil was heading. She is now so relieved. "I just had faith in God and I guess it worked."

Explaining how he overcame the addiction, Salil says, "I think I owe it to my wife who stood by me through thick and thin, and of course my doctors. Anyone else in her place would have left me. I must also thank my sister Kavita and her husband Raja and my parents-in-law for their moral support."

The healing process required Salil to be left in isolation. He says, "That made me think only about myself. There was nobody around me and I knew I had to win this battle. And I did. Believe me, recently many people who are suffering from alcoholism have called to ask how I managed to give it up.

There are many people who are suffering from alcoholism but have no idea where they are headed." So has he totally given up alcohol? "No drinks for me please, not even cigarettes, never."

Salil has now limped back to normalcy and he is back to work. He has started shooting for Balaji Telefilms' Karam Apna Apna where he plays a businessman and Iqbal Khan's father. He doesn't forget to express his gratitude to Ekta Kapoor. "A big thank-you to Ekta for not bumping off my character."

As a caring father, he is back to motivating Karan on the 22-yard pitch. "Karan is a an all-rounder and I hope that he will play for India one day."

•   I tell you, it was a disease and thank God I am fine now – Salil Ankola

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thnx 4 sharing... but ths has nothing 2 do DQ
CrazyNoori thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

i signed up for dev team so guys pray i b atleast i get mod plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz n i agree dis has nufin to do wid dancing queen dis topic shud b trashed from this section or closed

vasantha_rao07 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

I know that 😆😆 I was wondering why an article on Ankola is posted on this forum😕is he the guest?
Usman. thumbnail

Originally posted by: akkyzwife

i signed up for dev team so guys pray i b atleast i get mod plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz n i agree dis has nufin to do wid dancing queen dis topic shud b trashed from this section or closed

all da best dear!!
Usman. thumbnail

Originally posted by: vasantha_rao07

I know that 😆😆 I was wondering why an article on Ankola is posted on this forum😕is he the guest?

lolss 😆..
vasantha_rao07 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

😆 😆😆 oh!