cdesai12 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Longhorn 'to come in seven versions'

Jo Best
silicon.com
January 18, 2005, 14:05 GMT

The Windows user market will be catered for by seven versions of the next operating system, says a Microsoft analyst

According to one Redmond watcher, the next version of the Windows operating system, Longhorn, will be ready for manufacturing in May 2006 and will ship to the public in seven different versions.

Paul Thurrott, who runs the SuperSite for Windows Web site, says the seven editions will each be designed to cater for a different Windows user market.

The seven versions will include the Longhorn Home Edition, Longhorn Premium/Media Center Edition, Longhorn Professional Edition, Longhorn Small Business Edition and Longhorn Mobility/Tablet PC Edition.

It seems Microsoft is also hoping to bookend the user market by aiming for both the very high end and those OS buyers with less to spend.

According to Thurrott, Longhorn will also be available in what Thurrott calls Longhorn beredition and will offer all the functionality of the Home, Premium, Professional, Small Business and Tablet versions in an all-in-one package.

At the other end of the scale, Redmond will be launching a Starter Edition: a stripped-down, lower-cost version of the operating system. It's a strategy that Gates and co have already been pursuing in several countries with Windows XP.

Microsoft declined to comment on the likelihood of a multiple Longhorn release. A Microsoft spokeswoman said: "We have not announced details regarding the specific versions of Longhorn we will make available."

However, she added that Microsoft will "continue to support the usage scenarios our users require and will support new scenarios as appropriate".

Microsoft currently has Home, Professional, Tablet and Media Center iterations of its OS on the market.

The spokeswoman said no decisions had been taken as to which editions would make it through the gates of Redmond although Thurrott believes it's just names that need to be rubber-stamped.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cdesai12 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

The Road to Windows "Longhorn" 2005

For three years now, I've been charting the progress (or lack of progress) Microsoft has made with its next generation Windows operating system, code-named Longhorn. It all started back in January 2002, when I released my first iteration of The Road to Windows "Longhorn": What we know about the next version of Windows. The goal was to separate fact from myth. In that article, I exposed numerous Longhorn frauds and discussed some of the features Microsoft was then known to be including in Longhorn. Some of these, like WinFS (then identified only as a "SQL Server .NET-based file system) have since been canceled and will appear in a future Windows version. Others, like Windows Movie Maker 2 and a Windows Media Player refresh, have since shipped independently of Windows because of Longhorn's ever-increasing delays.

In May 2003, I followed up this original Longhorn preview with The Road to Windows "Longhorn" 2003, which featured concrete Longhorn information culled from that year's WinHEC trade show. It also included Microsoft's first public Longhorn release schedule (RTM in 2005, ahem), a detailed look at the product's componentization, and an overview of the Desktop Compositing Engine (DCE). However, in an August 2003 update, I revealed Longhorn's Aero user interface for the first time.

Then, in August 2004, I wrote the third installment, logically dubbed The Road to Windows "Longhorn" 2004, after Microsoft publicly revealed that it would delay WinFS and ship Windows XP/2003 versions of key Longhorn technologies, such as Avalon and Indigo. Microsoft also committed to a final release schedule for Longhorn, noting that the software would be delivered in 2006. Not late 2006, mind you, but mid-year. In November 2004, I updated that article with detailed Longhorn and Office 12 beta schedules which highlighted many of the milestones those releases would experience en route to their May 2006 final releases.

for more info pls visit this site:

http://www.winsupersite.com   and

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2005 .asp Edited by HUMM - 19 years ago
HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the info!! ... waiting for the new windows!😃😃
*Anjali* thumbnail
Thanks for the info, cdesai! can't wait for the new version to come out