Gurpurab Memories!!

simran1285 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Ok I know many of you have grown up outside India but still thought I might ask the following question?

How did you celebrate Gurpurab? What are you Memories?

Having lived in Punjab for 8 years of my life I have many fond memories of Gurpurab! We used to wake up extra early, and get ready and head out to our Bus Stand to have a Sweet Water Stand which we served to all the passerby's and Busses. The Sweet Water was called "Shabeel" and it was made of milk, sugar and some other flavoring. Then we used to make A LOT of Pakoras and pass them out as well. Then we would wait for Baba ji's Palki to go by and join in the hundreds of people walking around town singing shabads. One year my cousin was lucky enough to be a "Panj Piyara"

Gurpurab in India was a day filled with activity, everywhere we went people would give out "Dal Roti" and the Dal used to be the best I ever tasted. In America we simply go to the gurduwara, listen to Shabads, eat langar and come home.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rainydays. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

My mom would let me and my siblings miss school and we use to go to the gurdwara and stay there till night. Once me and my sister did kirtan at the gurdwara as well

simran1285 thumbnail
Originally posted by: ravioli_11

My mom would let me and my siblings miss school and we use to go to the gurdwara and stay there till night. Once me and my sister did kirtan at the gurdwara as well

Wow you did Kirtan that's awesome!😛 my Bhua ji's family is really religious and our always doing kirtan and had gotten me involved once, but I don't think my voice was very soothing😆
rainydays. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
No I used. Then I quit because I didn't have time to go to the gurdwara and learn. Plus I think I have a crappy voice😆 My mom is very religious and she made me go. Used to go the gurdwara every week and spent my summers there as well.