cdesai12 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

@ Sending BIG attachments

Almost all Internet Service Providers limit both the size of individual emails you send or receive and the overall size occupied by all your incoming email on the mail server (that's why it's important to download your email regularly if you receive large amounts, so your server-based mailbox doesn't become clogged).

The per-item limit is usually around two megabytes with the total allowance around 10 megabytes, although it differs from ISP to ISP. Even if your ISP has a more generous limit (mine lets me send and receive 5 megabyte emails), you should remember that your recipients may not be so fortunate. Unless you have specific knowledge of your recipients' mailbox limits, you should usually try to keep each email under 2 megabytes in size.

So, what do you do when you need to send an attachment you know is going to exceed the limit? There are all sorts of ways around the problem, including using instant messaging clients, FTP, folder synchronization utilities or an online file storage service. There are pros and cons to each of these approaches. I prefer to use a file splitter such as Dariolius File Splitter to divide the attachment into smaller chunks, and then send each of those chunks in a separate email. This way, I still get to use my email program for the job, the recipient need not be online when I send the email, and there's no need to guide a recipient through using FTP, or messaging file transfer or any other new application.

There are lots of file splitting utilities available. I like Dariolius because it's extremely easy to use, is freeware (the author accepts donations), and makes it very easy for the recipient to reconstruct the file on their end.

Dariolius lets you split files into any number of parts. All you do is drop the file onto the Dariolius window and select the number and size of the segments. In addition to splitting the file into segments, it also creates a small program which, when run, lets the recipient recombine the parts to create the original file. That means there's no need for your recipients to have a copy of Dariolius on their machines.

Just make sure whenever you use a program like Dariolius you tell your recipients how to deal with the file segments and how to recombine them.

Attachment etiquette

A quick note on attachment etiquette: Don't send large attachments unless you know the person on the other end wants them and can handle them. There's nothing worse than to be stuck on a slow dial-up connection and find your line tied up for hours while cousin Josie's latest holiday snapshots ooze into your inbox.

When you do send attachments, send them in the most compact form possible: Decrease image size; convert BMP images into JPGs before sending (the freeware graphics program, Irfanview, can do this for you); and use a zip program to compress Word documents and other files

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
thanks for that info buddy, actually i always do this kind of stuff! πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š
*Anjali* thumbnail
Thanks cdesai!  I did not know there was such a thing as a "file splitter."  I'll definitely have to give it a try, especially with those big powerpoing files. 
meghavi thumbnail
Thanks for the info cdesai!!
x_TaniSha_x thumbnail

Thnxx for tha information... id really helpzπŸ˜ƒ