salonishah thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
After creating enough DHOOM across nation director Sanjay Gadhvi bounces back with a vengeance with yet another action-packed thriller KIDNAP.

While his superhit DHOOM series were made under Yash Raj banner, KIDNAP would be his first release outside Yash Raj camp, produced under Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision Ltd banner. And because of that there is a lot of curiosity.

When we asked Gadhvi about working outside Yash Raj, he reminisces about them and also shares his experience working with Shree Ashtavinayak, ''Once you have worked with Yash Raj's than everything else is not as good comparatively. Having said that; it's been quite comfortable working with Ashtavinayaks also. We gelled really well as a producer director, inspite of the fact that we were working for the first time. They are very good producers, facilitate well, (in a smiling tone) not afraid of spending money. Working with both the production houses was quite a good experience yet different. It's just that Yash Rajs have better infrastructure and they have a very smooth functioning which makes your work easy. Whereas Ashtavinayak is relatively new in production and that they are still in learning stage.''

Few days back there were several reports stating that Gadhvi was to make KIDNAP before DHOOM. When we confirmed about the same with the director, he had to say, ''When I made my first film MERE YAAR KI SHAADI HAI in 2002 for Yash Raj, it was a hit, everyone loved it very much. Then Yashji, Adi and I were just mulling over as to what is it we wanted to make next. It was at that time we locked upon the idea of a particular script which was titled as KIDNAP which had the same story. Everything was in place but Sanju (Sanjay Dutt) expressed his inability to shell out bulk dates as he was busy till 2004. So we postponed KIDNAP and started working on some other script for the meantime. We locked on the idea of making DHOOM, a movie on cops and robbers which turned a huge hit. And so DHOOM 2 was the outcome of DHOOM. I had to direct because the demand for a sequel was extraordinarily high. Hence KIDNAP got shelved as by that time my 3-film contract with YRF ended''

Every director has its own lucky mascot or favourite actors with whom they like to work. Likewise Gadhvi is a big fan of Sanjay Dutt. Admits the director, ''I am huge fan of Amitabh Bachchan and Sanjay Dutt too. I grew up watching their films. And at that very time I decided to be a filmmaker. When I saw Sanju's ROCKY in 1980, I became a huge fan of his. And I saw every film of his from ROCKY till MEHBOOBA. With KIDNAP I have fulfilled my long time dream of working with Sanjay Dutt and I had a very good experience. I hope I get a chance to work with Mr. Bachchan as well someday.''

Talking about other lead of the film, Imraan Khan, the current teen sensation and heartthrob of millions, than KIDNAP happens to be his second outing after giving a blockbuster JAANE TU...YA JAANE NA. When we asked the director how Imraan became a part of KIDNAP, was he Gadhvi's first choice opposite Sanjay Dutt? On this quite serenely Gadhvi replied ''Yeah, we were looking for a young boy, a youngish actor to play the role of a kidnapper. I was not being able to finalize anyone as such it was then my writer Shibani Bathija suggested me that Aamir Khan's nephew is looking forward to become an actor, lets meet him. I met him and the moment I saw him, I was sure that he perfectly fit the bill to play the character of Kabir, a kidnapper.''

var pubId=3144; var siteId=3145; var kadId=6477; var kadwidth=300; var kadheight=250; < ="http://ads.pubmatic.com/Ad/js/showad.js" =text/>

view%20KIDNAP%20videos

view KIDNAP videos

Considering Imraan's current chocolate boy image among viewers, Does Gadhvi feel that Imraan will be able to break his soft, tender, boy-next door image and at the same time will audience be able to accept his shift from an all white to a dark character so early in his career. But Gadhvi has an altogether different perspective towards it. ''First of all I beg to differ with you that he has a chocolate boy image, you know you can get an image only after you have done some 6-8 films. And this is just one film (JTYJN). It's just that his first film which carried a story about young college going teenybopper teenagers turned out a huge hit. He is an interesting & fantastic actor and he's here to stay,'' Says Gadhvi. But it's been just 2-3 months JAANE TU released and people are still under JAANE TU frame of mind, to this he adds ''If the people are still in the hangover of JAANE TU, its good that they will get a little bit of shock and little bit of a jolt. And I am sure people will appreciate him in his new avtar also, exploring his other side as an actor. He is a thinking mind.''

Gadhvi takes utmost care about getting the look and ambience right for his characters. We all know that all his actresses have looked fabulous on screen whenever they have gone through an image transformation. Be it Esha Deol's sexy sporty look in DHOOM or bootylicious Bipasha who lost oodles of weight to gain oodles of sex appeal or Ash's hot look in DHOOM 2 and now Minissha's sensual & bindaas act in KIDNAP. To this Gadhvi proudly says, ''That is what I learnt when I was with Yasharj films, they take a lot of care on the minute details about the complete appearance and look of the character.''

While his DHOOM series are still cherished for its sporty racy bikes, speed, style, larger than life stunts, the oomph factor etc one is equally eager to know what trend KIDNAP is planning to set. What USP does KIDNAP carry? Gadhvi answered in an excited tone, ''I think for numerous reasons the film will become special, first of all the clash between Imraan & Sanjay Dutt (just like David v/s Goliath). Its very rare that people make film about kidnapping within the restraints of commercial genre. (Laughingly) I can't reveal too much at this point, let me put it this way it's a cat 'n' mouse game between Sanjay Dutt & Imaran.''

Since both the movies KIDNAP and DRONA are set to arrive on the same date, what are Gadhiv's apprehensions? Is he nervous or feeling pressurized or excited, to this Gadhvi undeniably says, ''Yes I am nervous about my film KIDNAP because it happens to be a crucial film of my career, everything that I have done in the past and every film that I'll make in the future will not be as important as this one. The fact that it's my first film after working with Yash Raj films. There is definitely lots of pressure. Secondly its Sanjay Dutt's first release of 2008 who is returning after a long haul in a full-fledged role and Imran Khan's second outing after his immensely successful JAANE TU YA JAANE NA, so again that brings more pressure on me. And also DRONA, a very very big film, which is being released on the same day. But I hope both films do well on the lovely occasion of Id.''