Article: Aastha Chaudhary Strikees Big

Anashah1980 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
AASTHA CHAUDHARY STRIKES BIG
[10 Sep 2008]
ALL THE AUNTIES LIKE MY SHOW

She's the quintessential demure and pretty Indian bahu every mother wishes for her son. She's the dutiful daughter that we all aim to be. Simple, charming and constantly striving to achieve that balance in her personal and professional life, Babul Ka Aangan Chootey Na's lead protagonist Aastha is eerily similar to the soft-spoken and docile Aastha Chaudhary. Her show is currently leading the TRP bandwagon on Sony, and the young actress has much to smile about.

ST: How did you take acting as a profession after being a qualified software engineer?

AC: I gave myself six months for acting in Mumbai. Otherwise, I am a qualified software engineer, and could take up a job here in that field.  But a cameo in Saat Phere was followed by a four-month role in Rakhi, where I played the parallel lead. The big break, of course, came in the form of Sony's Babul…. I gave an audition, and got a call from them after that. I was short-listed among the final few, after which I had to clear about 5-6 look tests.

ST: Wasn't Chhavi Mittal originally considered for the lead role?

AC: That's what I'd heard. I'm guessing that's why they made me go through so many look tests. They must have been confused, whether to sign on a seasoned actress like Chhavi or a newcomer like me.

ST: It's also been heard that her parents were not too happy about her decision to join the acting field.

AC: That's not entirely true. I wouldn't say they were against it. But I come from a small city, Alwar, in Rajasthan, and that too I have an engineering background. So they did wonder why I wanted to act. Also the thought of shifting to Mumbai and living here raises questions in parents' minds. But once they were convinced it's a gharelu show, they had no qualms. I've kept all my promises to them. And they're obviously very happy for their daughter's success.

ST: While television is something they've agreed to, films are not something they'd say a yes to. And that's something which Aastha agrees with.

AC: When it comes to movies, it's a big 'no' from my side. I'm not comfortable with the exposure that is required in that field. I can't do the kind of scenes that are required. I'm just not comfortable about it.

ST:  What about the new kind of alternative cinema that is making its mark now?

AC: If it's a different kind of film, tab main sochoongi. If it's something like the character I play in Babul…, that of a sweet simple girl, then maybe I can think about it.

ST: Beyond all her reservations, Aastha is incredibly happy that her show has been received so well by the audiences.

AC: People like my character. All the aunties like my show. That's so good.

ST:  What about the plot of the show, which has now moved on to very absurd lines?

AC: Well, it's a daily soap, yahan pe aisa hi hota hai. There's never any reality shown in a daily soap. People like to watch such stuff, that's why it's shown. Initially, I felt my character was quite similar to the real-life me. But now I realize, she makes no mistakes, and that's just impossible in real life. I don't feel any similarity between the on-screen Aastha and of-screen Aastha.

ST: Siddharth Shukla, the man who plays Aastha's husband in the show, is rumoured to be much more than just a friend off-screen. So is it that the reel romance has taken real proportions now?

AC: Who told you that?  He's a good friend, and we do a lot of masti on the sets. The kind of work we do, there's a lot of stress with the long hours. Siddharth makes everyone laugh with his non-stop jokes and pranks. From the spot dada to the producers, everyone loves him. But there's nothing like that between us. We're not dating.

ST: In fact, Aastha insists that there's no special man in her life at present either.

AC: I am single and ready to mingle. I want a sunder, susheel boy, who is sweet, caring and loyal. He should suit my on-screen character Aastha.

ST: What about her other co-star Rahil Azam? Apparently they don't really get along.
AC: (Once again, I'm given a 'Who told you that?' look.) Hamare beech bilkul koi ego hassles nahin. Rahil is our senior. He guides Siddharth and me about various technical stuff like the right camera angles, and other tips. I don't hang out with Rahil, but that's because we hardly have the time.

ST:  No time to do anything else either?

AC:  As of now, no! It's only this.

ST:  What about working with the biggest name of them all – Balaji?

AC: Right now, I don't think they'll take me as a main lead for any of their shows. That's because I've already done one main lead. But ahead, why not?

Now here's someone who's going to go places!

**BY SNEHA KAMAT

-- k k rai

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

eshaaax3. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
thanxs, but only GOOD friends, oh well, lets see what happens!!!!!!
val0822 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
She was in Saat Phere and Rakhi ????
CeruleanSky thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
'He'a a good friend'....thats it???O boy , I do wish this reel-life romance would translate into a real life one too....well , thanks a ton for the article!!!!
neela226 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: val0822

She was in Saat Phere and Rakhi ????

yes in saat phere she played chandnni's hhalf sister. in rakhi she played the first gunjan
val0822 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: neela226

yes in saat phere she played chandnni's hhalf sister. in rakhi she played the first gunjan

Thanks !!!
CeruleanSky thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
"From the spot dada to the producers , everyone loves him...."

Yup  , me too me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!