Monica <> Abu Salem related articles / interview

Raima36 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

The gangster who loved me
By: Upala KBR
Date: 2008-09-02
addthis_pub = 'vikasb'; addthis_logo = 'http://www.addthis.com/images/yourlogo.png'; addthis_logo_background = 'EFEFFF'; addthis_logo_color = '666699'; addthis_brand = 'midday'; addthis_options = 'favorites, digg, delicious, myspace, facebook, google, live, more'; < ="text/" ="http://s7.add.com/js/152/add_widget.js">

Mumbai: 

Photo courtesy/ Showtime Photographer/ Sudheir K

This week, Monica Bedi may be ousted from the Bigg Boss house. A day before she went into the house, she gave a no-holds-barred interview to SHOWTIME magazine. She also did an extensive photo session for the issue which hits the stands today. Presenting excerpts from the interview. 

The first thing Monica said on meeting the interviewer was: "I'm going to tell you the true story but please, put it exactly as I say it. Life is very tough for me. Please help me out."

After the arrest

Monica now lives in Mulund, a far-off place even from suburban Mumbai, drives her own car; doesn't have a secretary and shops at Lokhandwala's modest stores. "I thought people in Mumbai would accept me but even when I'm on the roads, I can sense them discussing me behind my back. There are some sniggers; some taunts. I just ignore them and carry on," she says.

Norway to Mumbai

Monica's stint in the movies happened just by chance. In the interview she reveals, "I was born in Punjab but my family shifted to Norway when I was just one year old. I came to India on a holiday and decided to learn some Kathak. I joined Gopi Kishan's classes and I started getting offers. The first offer I received was from Manoj Kumar. I was just 17."

The first Bolly offer

But Monica was still clueless about the film industry and its people. "I was totally unaware about things. I remember, I had gone to Subhash Ghai's Holi party and I met Rakesh Roshan there. I always saw him as an actor; I never knew he was a producer and director too. At that party, he offered me Karan Arjun #128;#148; the role that Mamta Kulkarni  eventually did. He said he'd like to see me in his office. And I was thinking, 'This man is an actor, so why is he calling me?' He gave me his numbers and his address but I never went there," she remembers.

B-Town business

Her films failed to click and Monica didn't know what to do next. "There was no one to guide me. My biggest problem is that I'm very shy and embarrassed to go and ask for work. I don't have an ego problem. I can't get myself to ask anyone for anything, leave alone a film. Whatever I got, I lapped up," she states.

On her disappearance

Suddenly in 2001, Monica Bedi had vanished from the film industry. She says, "I have nothing to hide.

Sentiments are involved; feelings are involved. And if I have made a mistake, I'm not going to blame the other person for it." The 'other person' she's referring to is Abu Salem #128;#147; the man she fell in love with.  She begins, "I've had so many people calling me and telling me, 'Say this about him (Abu Salem) and say that about him.' But I can't do that. It was my mistake too." 

Abu Salem, who?

Monica lightens up a bit when she tells me how she fell in love. "One day, I got a call from a guy in Dubai saying he was organising a show where he wanted me to perform. I said okay. He said he would get back to me after all the formalities were done. Then, a few days later, he called up again and we talked for some time. A couple of days later, he called again. I began getting friendly with him over the phone. At the time, he gave me a different name. I didn't know he was Abu Salem.

Falling in love

"He still hid his real identity from me at that time. Even though we hadn't met, we became really close. Finally,
we decided to meet up. That's when I went to Dubai. We met; we liked each other. That's how it all started."
Monica visited Salem twice in Dubai and still, his real identity was unknown to her. "When he invited me to Dubai for the third time, I asked him to come to Mumbai instead. But he always kept giving me some excuse or the other. He had introduced himself to me as Arsalan Ali - that's the false identity he used often.

I am Abu Salem

"When I asked him to come to Mumbai, he said things like, 'I won't get the visa' and all that. Finally, on my third trip to Dubai, he told me his real identity. He said his real name was Abu Salem and that he had a past. He said he wanted to change all that and start afresh. By that time, we were in love with each other.

Pyaar kiya, darna kya

Monica reveals that he kept her from returning, "He never allowed me to come back. He feared that if the police got hold of me, eventually, he'd get caught. There were two fears he faced #128;#147; for me and for himself." "Again, he was living with the same fear. That if I left him, I'd go back to India. If I went to India, the police would interrogate me. And if that happened, I may say something about him and he'd get caught. Sometimes, his actions seem selfish to me; sometimes I feel he acted like that because he really loved me. Maybe it was his fear. But the fact was that he didn't allow me to go. I really tried hard. Twice, I even tried to escape but he got me and I came back to him. It was all a big mess. Finally, we got caught in Portugal."

Realisation

By that time, though they were together, the relationship was going through its worst patch. Monica looks back and analyses it. "In the initial days of my relationship with him, I couldn't really make out what kind of a person he was. I would be in Dubai for two-three days and then I'd be back in Mumbai. When you're with a person for just two-three days, he's always on his best behavior. It was only after I started living with him that I realised we weren't meant for each other. But he did not understand it then.

(The interview appears in the September issue of Showtime magazine)

http://www.mid-day.com/entertainment/2008/sep/020908-SHOWTIME-magazine-monica-bedi-Abu-salem-big-boss.htm
Edited by raj5000 - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

1+1=10 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for sharing this.

This is really sad story. and no wonder, if he really tried to behave like this with her, with false names. :-(

Anyone can fall in love like this.
there is her bad luck involved in this too.

very complex situations.

She was doing ok in big boss.
but rahul flirted a lot, (she told him not to do this many times)
and then Rakhi too, took this responsibility of fixing him with her.

Monica shud have tried to mix up with other people, and should have tried to explain many things to them.  this way, audience wud have heard many of these things bcoz all ppl won't read this interview. and other members wudnt have gone against her so soon in the house.

i think, i saw her mixing with others very less. she didnt try.

Monica n rahul, both of them wanted to change,show real image,  they shud have tried talking with, elina, ehsaan,ketaki, debo etc.  a lot. coz these ppl r similar to general audience. if they cud make these guys friends, and cud convince or cud show them their image, it wud have helped.

Change of images means, ppl have heard rumors, and they have wrong image abt u or they have been misdirected by newschannels.
then the real strategy is,  ask these ppl, Elina,ehsaan,ketaki kind of members, that what do they think abt u, then clear those misconceptions, so that audience can hear too.
but both of these, didn't discuss any personal problems, and didnt try asking others opinion.

this interview is much better , but many ppl won't be able to read this.
Showbizz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hope the first line is not a spoiler , but the interview is interesting 😊

Edited by preethi_p_r - 15 years ago
prachi1977 thumbnail
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz wht for her i really fil sorry for her😭
daiisy thumbnail
If she was cleverer in real life, she would have not gotten herself in such situation and if she was cleverer in 'Bigg Boss' world, she would have been in bigger gang and not just stick to Rahul and Rakhi.
Raima36 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: preethi_p_r

Hope the first line is not a spoiler , but the interview is interesting 😊

Initially I too thot if the first line is a spoiler...but then I noticed that it says "monica may be ousted" rather than saying "monica will be ousted...blah blah" ...so I guess the article is simply making an assumption of monica getting evicted this week. 

I hope I made sense lol...πŸ˜†

Cheers,
Raima
Edited by Raima36 - 15 years ago
denver_diva thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
if this is true then my heart goes out to monica.she was trapped and ended up messing up her life.
i dont think people really nominated her bcoz she hasnt been too involved with all the members in the house....they have nominated her as they found her a strong contender (becoz of her past and now a completely different image of hers on the show)...i dont really go by the reasons they give in the nominations.
ketki, zulfi, debojit have also been equally uninvolved with the others...
1+1=10 thumbnail
i was thinking abt this strong contender point earlier.

this doesn't work that much as it sounds.

Suppose, for example, Ashu thinks that monica is strong contender, what can he do abt this, he can nominate her.  but he cant make her to leave the house.  coz the decision comes to us.  we can send her back. he can keep nominating her each time, but we can send her back.  And in the end, it will be ashu vs monica. and we can make her win.

but suppose he nominated both, rahul and monica, and both are strong contender.  and we can argue that, now audience is forced to decide betn these two. so votes will get divided. and we can argue that now we are forced to make one go.
but the same will happen, if monica and rahul will reach till final without getting nominated at all.

Strong contender may get out, stronger contender may get out. ( and eventually every stronger candidate will go out )

Strongest contender can never get out. 
1+1=10 thumbnail
Good news is,
right now, they are showing the same interview, on aaj tak.
1+1=10 thumbnail
But as i said earlier,

she shud have used this material in the big boss.
she shut have tried to mix with many ppl, and shud have discussed these things with them. then whole audience cud have got this real story.

but mostly the news i see, at channels , sites, abt monica is with rahul.

I just hope that rahul keeps this friendship with her outside too, on tv he has done enuf harm to her.