If pressurised to marry, I'll cheat: Abhay Deol

ablazedmelody thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

If pressurised to marry, I'll probably cheat: Abhay Deol

Roshmila Bhattacharya,Mumbai Mirror | Dec 18, 2013, 12.00 AM IST
If pressurised to marry, I'll probably cheat: Abhay Deol
Abhay Deol

Says Abhay Deol explaining how he and girlfriend Preeti Desai managed to sail through his first production without any hiccups

He has always been the different Deol and worked outside the system despite coming from a film family. He did follow tauji Dharmendra and cousins, Sunny and Bobby, into Bollywood 15 years ago, which ran true to type. But fearing he wouldn't be able to pull off the role of a typical hero, Abhay started writing a typical film scenarios in the hope that some producer would take a chance. 

Many of the ideas never materialised into film scripts, but he continued to jot them down. And some time ago, invited filmamker Devika Bhagat home to narrate one of his ideas. "She liked mine but then narrated one of her ideas which I liked even better," Abhay reminisces. 

That idea has translated into his first production 'One By Two'. It's a quirky, feel good film about two young people from the new-age, urban Indian middle-class who influence each others lives without being aware of each other's existence. "It's not a 'Shanghai' or 'Chakravyuh', but maybe it's in the same space of a 'Socha Na Tha' and a 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara'. It's about real people," explains Abhay. 

The film co-stars Preeti Desai, his long-time girlfriend, and you wonder if they brought any baggage backhome while working together. "No, we planned ahead. Preeti stayed at her place while I stayed at mine and all was well," he laughs. 

Abhay admits that in Preeti he has found a strong emotional support. "She's the stablising factor in my life who keeps me from feeling isolated," he says. 

So given that he's found his anchor, what's stopping him from making the relationship official? Abhay admits that his mother would be thrilled if he decided to get married tomorrow and so would the aunts. "But I've always said that signing a piece of paper is no guarantee for love and loyalty in a relationship. If I were pressurised to tie the knot, I would probably run or cheat to get away. I've found a person I feel happy and secure with. It's as simple as that. Why should I complicate it?" he says. 

Talking about cheating, many stars turned producers have been duped by frauds. Abhay's first production, Basra, was shelved. And the Deols are not known to be shrewd businessmen? "No, the road to production hasn't been smooth, but you can't give up," he says. "My strength is finding a subject, a director and a financier, I'm not good at striking deals. During Basra I was alone. But 'One By Two' is a team effort. Fortunately, my partner Sanjay is brilliant at execution. My family has so much goodwill and respect in the industry that I'm hoping this will keep the frauds at bay."

Does he foresee co-producing a film with his cousins in future? "Why not?" says Abhay. He points out that as a producer he would be flexible and willing to make more mainstream movies, which may not feature him. 

"Bhaiya (Sunny Deol) may want to do something he's done before or maybe never done. For me the latter would be more exciting but even the former might work since he's good at what he does. And it would be an opportunity to be a part of the system," he reasons. "I'll continue to make movies that are somewhat original. I can collaborate with new talent and directors I've worked with. It's a chance to do something different." 

So when will we see Abhay do something different or rather something typical filmy, like doing a song-anddance number or pound 10 people into the ground with the dhai kilo ka Deol haath? "I'd love to do action and I've done my share of naach-gaana in films like Socha Na Tha and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. But if I'm going to venture into that territory, I'd like to do it with a big producer and an established director so it doesn't turn into something tacky. But till that happens, I'll continue with my kind of cinema," he signs off

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Star_girl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
So, commitment means nothing? If you are pressurized to marry the woman you love, you will cheat? Every Bollywood guy is the same. Kuch nahi ho sakta tum logo ka. ðŸ˜†
starstruckk thumbnail
I love Abhay..but that makes no sense. 
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
He will feel helmed in & suffocated. ðŸ˜†
So he said on India's Most Desirable. ðŸ˜†

Ya I love AD too, but doesn't make any sense. ðŸ˜†
Edited by Mallika-E-Bhais - 10 years ago
DB_reloaded thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
ya same here!! 
BIackSwan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I watched his chat with Simi and he shared his thoughts on marriage. Although I do not agree with his pov but I respect the guy. He spoke his mind without being pretensions, said he prefers living with his girlfriend and they both did not want to get married. He could have said the more appropriate thing to get into everybody's good books but didn't 

This statement reminds me of one of my friends. The guy did not believe in marriage and was forced to marry this girl. Now they're divorced and I kinda sensed it won't last for long knowing my friend's commitment phobia 
MoronsKiMallika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Don't marry anyone, Abhay. A 'single'  man sleeping with a 100 women in the open with admission and permission is any day better than a committed man cheating the  woman he has married.  Edited by MoronsKiMallika - 10 years ago
.Bongsookie. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Why does everyone run away from  even the mention of marriage? ðŸ˜†
MoronsKiMallika thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Humsafar.

Why does everyone run away from  even the mention of marriage? ðŸ˜†

Because it takes courage and character to give someone a promise of a lifetime that you will always take care of them and grow old with them. And to do that much, you need to love the other person a little bit more than yourself. ðŸ˜†...and since its easy to test-mate-dispose, very few can truly hold marriage in its true sense. 
joyce_k thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
New excuse to justify cheating?????🤢