Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago

"Where were you?" I heard him scream from a distance as I entered a dingy cave. This was his hiding spot the nights he was upset.

"Louie, you were supposed to be at work. Are you alright?"

"How can I be alright when my girlfriend is out with my nemesis?"

"Louie Francis, look at me. Have you been drinking?"

"Never a good sign when your girlfriend calls you by your full name".

"Don't attempt to change the subject", I put on a stern face.

He nodded his head in a yes.

"I have told you several times that alcohol is a depressant. You need medication".

"We can't afford real meds, Madhu. We can't afford anything worth living", he kicked an empty beer can.

"I don't know about other things but, I got you what you want".

"You have got to tell me who your weed boy is". I saw his face light up at the sight of the drug.

"Why? So, you could smoke for recreation? This is a one time thing cause I know you need it". I handed him the pot.

"Next time'"

"There is no next time", I cut him off. "This happens again and we go to the doctor".

He carefully packed the marijuana into cigarettes and passed me one.

"Nothing, just a panic attach Madhu. Oh, I don't know because I work two jobs, study for Nyan and entrance to art school".

"Then lay off work for a bit. Quit one job. We can drop the buy-an-apartment-post-graduation-fund for now. Let's live in the moment".

"It's the pot talking". He winked.

"Maybe. Look, we cannot handle fallouts. I am here if you need an emotional outlet. Just don't let your wounds show to the world. I see you wanting to kill that snob Kundra. I have learned to live the insults and its better if you do as well. You are a great man and I want you to stay that way", I exhaled a puff of smoke. Oh, the things I did for this man.

"What did you do with Kundra?"

"He asked if we could be friends? I agreed".

"Why?"

"Don't tell him I told you. Why would you? Anyway, poor soul went through a bad breakup. Perhaps, he needed some change".

"I don't trust his ways".

"He can be overbearing but, he means no harm".

"Maintain your distance".

"I will".

I placed a wet one on his lips to shut him up about Rishabh. We raced down a brick road on our 90's bikes. His eyes lost in mind, that was the last good memory we had together. I dropped him off at his residence and left.

Next morning, I was feeling uneasy laying in the bed. I feel an urge pulsing through my veins to check on Louie, to make sure of his well being. So, I did. As I knocked on his bedroom door, I heard commotion. A lady soon came at the door and left without a word.

"Who was that?", I enquired.

"Her, uhm, I, I just puked from you all the weed and beer and what not. So, she just helped clean up".

"A girl in a guys' dorm?"

"She, uh, she is an employee like you and I". He seemed confused. I did not conclude the obvious and chose instead to focus on his health.

"Do you need to visit the infirmary?"

"I will be fine. I am going back to work today".

"I wanted to see if you were doing okay. I guess I will see you in class. Take care". I gave him a peck. "I am the only woman who will kiss you vomit mouth".

"True that". His response was quite usual but, I overlooked it to focus on morning classes.

"Excuse me gentleman. Will you be of some help to me?", a well dressed figure addressed Rishabh Kundra from a distance.

"I think you have the wrong person. I do not offer service, I simply take it", Rishabh tried to brush him off.

"Sir, I know who you are. I do talk to peasants who won't understand me. You, being the only man of class, must assist me in an important ordeal", the old man had now turned bigoted like the rest.

"Don't think I don't notice you kissing up", RK was quite flattered. "Make it quick".

"I am looking for a certain Miss Madhubala", he took out a baby picture. Wait a minute, a baby picture of me? How? What?

"Look behind you, our campus' Hansel and Gretel", Rishabh took this opportunity to poke fun at us again.

"Are you sure?", the creepy old man eyed me up and down. "You must be mistaken". At this point, I was getting uncomfortable from his piercing glances.

"Time for work", I pushed a confused Louie in the other direction.

"Young lady. Madhubala", the man ran after me. "May I have the opportunity to communicate in privacy?"

"I am not impressed with your pathetic attempt at old age English. Now, if I may take your leave, I have business to attend to".

"I will pay your employer to give you the shift off".

Louie was warming up for a heated argument. I asked him to get to work considering an old man could do no harm .

"How kind", I faked a smile. "I will pass".

"We will cross paths again. Better you hear me out now when you are getting paid for it".

I had had enough of his uncalled for pity.

"N.O. What part of no do you fail to comprehend?"

I walked away seeing spectators gathering.

"I have news from your father". His words managed to stop me in my tracks.

"Follow me", I walked to the cafeteria with a nervous gait.

"Seems like you did not want a scene. You should have followed me the first time".

"Let's not beat around the bush. Who are you? Where did you get my picture? What does my father know about me? What is your motive?"

"I am Secretary Kim, your father's right hand man. This picture was given to me by your father to find you in the country of one billion people. Ta da, here you are. I managed to track down a girl with only a baby picture. I am that good". I think he wanted me to applaud him for the effort. However, I expressed no interest in doing so.

"Eighteen years and suddenly the fatherly emotion blossoms. I find that improbable".

"That's the catch. Takes a lot of time to find a living, breathing creature with nothing but a photograph. Mr. Malik wishes to meet his estranged daughter, his only progeny".

"I refuse to hear what he has to say. He abandoned my mother. That is all the reason I need to stay far away from him. Kindly relay my message to Mr. Malik. Then". I pulled my skirt as a symbol of courtesy and walked away.

"Louie, that old man was from my father's", I caught Louie on his lunch hour.

"You have a father?"
"I had no idea".

"That's good, right? We have a shot at a better life".

"But, mamma never told me about him. She must not want me to meet him".

"Maybe she did. We were too young to remember correctly".

"No, she must have left a note in that case. I want to respect my mother's wishes. I asked him to leave and never try to reach me again".

"Are you crazy?" My boyfriend had started showing his true colours. "We had a good chance of getting out of this hell. He spread his arms, waiting to save you and you kicked him to the curb?"

"Have you considered the possibility that I don't want to be saved? That, I am happy with my life?"

"Well, I am not. I have to get back to work", he shrugged his shoulders and left me questioning my life choices.

Was my life really so bad that I needed to be redeemed by a stranger who abandoned my mother? Why was I to blame for not taking something not rightfully mine? Was I Louie's stepping stone to success?

I cast aside all the negativity and stepped up to save the only relationship I valued. I did something I had never done before; I stepped foot into the VVIP Flower Coffee House for the elitist Kundra clan. Louie worked as their barista, where he spent his entire day cursing at the esteemed guest, Rishabh Kundra.I bust open the doors. The crowd raged seeing a commoner but, quickly settled down as I made my way to the kitchen. Louie followed me in.

"Louie, I need to know. Are you not happy with our life, our relationship or our family?"

"Happy? I work for twelve hours plus classes to pay rent and tuition. How can I be happy?"

"I work too, for you".

"Well, you had your chance at an easy life. A chance I will never get. A chance you threw aside".

"Do you want me to be regretful for the decision that never concerned you in the first place?"

"Never concerned me? I was you family for fifteen years".

"You still are my only family. So, just support me in my choice", I pleaded. I didn't know what to do since this was our first fight. "It is best we meet when we have calmed down", I carefully moved away trying not to create disturbance.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

"What's up buttercup?" I avoided eye contact as Rishabh hopped around me trying to catch my attention. "Too cheesy? How about, how do you do Mizz Madhubala?By the way, what is your last name?"
"None of your concern". He followed me to my locker. "Rishabh, not a good time".

"We have quite the catching up to do".

"Class is this way", I pulled on his necktie and the cheerful spirit to class.

"Do you ever picture the scenario in your head before actually doing it?" He rightfully questioned my action. I let go of his tie as if nothing happened and took a seat beside Louie. He followed me to my spot and sat on Louie's lap.

"Dude, get off", Louie yelled in disgust.

"This is my seat", RK stood up.

"Since when?", Louie followed suit.
"Since yesterday", RK moved closer.

"I have been sitting here since the beginning of the semester", Louie moved even closer in.

"Too bad, now I am taking it", RK quickly occupied the empty chair.

"Would you stop acting like kids?", Mr. Ganesh waved around his disciplinary stick like it was a lightsaver.

After all that went down lately, I knew Louie's pride wouldn't allow him to back down. I squinted my eyes to request RK to give up the seat. Curiously, he agreed. The class resumed in the usual fashion.

After class, Louie did not speak to me or even look my way. RK followed me to the cafeteria.

"You two had a fight, didn't you?"

"If you know the answer, why ask?"
"Fine, I say let him apologize. Men should always be the ones to say sorry".

I judged his intentions of learning the reason for our silent treatment.

"You are not getting anything out of me. It's personal and I would like to keep it that way. Know your limits".

"Fine by me", he raised his hand and strategically placed one on my shoulder. I quickly flung away the stray arm. 

To be continued...

Edited by iiDona - 11 years ago
AroraN thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for long update. Enjoyed it very much.

Rk & Madhu hv better understanding now. 

Just loved Rk 😃
..Aliya.. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
nice update
can't wait to read more
pls update soon :)
My_VivJaan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
NICE UPDATE DEAR...
THNXXX FOR PM :-)
s1a2i3p4o5t6n7i thumbnail
Very well written!!!! Update soon!!!
...Seema... thumbnail
Tons of thanx for pm and for giving us such a nice and soothing update to read.continue soon.
DevilClan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Nice one. So Louie wanted Madhu to go back to hr dad but she don't. Wht will b Rishabh's stand?
Jane523 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
Awesome update dear ...
r.k is sooo cute n understanding n madhu is so lovable
do continue soon
love.piyali thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Lovely dear...its great...Thanks for the pm..
Vsoujanya thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
wow Madhu might be right, she might just be Louie's stepping stone. anyways loved RK's dialogue to the old man! ha great update! 👏😊