Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vedu22 thumbnail
Engager 3 Thumbnail Engager 2 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago

Okay, I am so sorry for the delay, but my patients need me! I had said to some of you that I would try to update yesterday, and you have every right to be mad at me! All the comments for the last chapter really stoked my ego! You guys are AMAZING. This chapter is dedicated to msrashu for brightening my day by sending me the nicest friendship day poem EVER!

This is the longest chapter I've written...13.5 pages on MS Word. I hope you like it, it just wasn't writing itself. Oh, and I've decided not to accept buddy requests from those who don't at like and comment on this. Sorry!

Chapter 11

No one moved a single muscle as the newly revealed couple stood there waiting for their family's reactions.

Of course, this silence was short lived as everyone decided that they must bombard the two of them with questions all at once.

"When did this all start?"

"Who made the first move?"

"Why did both of you lie to us?"

"How long did it take for Khushi to agree?" That question was, predictably, from Akaash who looked very much like Arnav with such an all-knowing smirk on his face.

"How did Khushi change your mind about marriage, Chote?"

And then came the million dollar (rupee) question...

"YOU TWO ARE MARRIED?"

For said married man, all the questions were morphing into a cacophony of garbled noises. He couldn't take it anymore.

"Please! Bas Karo!" His booming voice silenced everyone once again.

" I think that we should move to the living room where we can be comfortable and answer your questions." His tone left no room for discussion. Even Khushi's father obliged Arnav's 'request.'

Mami grabbed the two of them and literally threw them on to the love seat while everyone else gathered around, staring at them like they were some fascinating zoo exhibit.

"So." Anjali started, a grin on her face, hands resting on Shyam's shoulders. Khushi was trying hard not to gag.

"So." Arnav echoed a bit uncomfortably. His neck was feeling oddly overheated.

"Ek minute." Vivek Rathod walked up and stood right in front of Arnav who immediately clambered to his feet. This man did not like looking down at people while talking to them.

"Sir." Arnav knew full well that when his father-in-law was talked like this, he demanded the utmost respect. Calling him 'uncle' was not going to get him anywhere.

"Did you really think that you could take my daughter away from me without asking my permission first?" Arnav wasn't fooled by his light tone. Vivek was as serious as can be, especially in matters concerning his precious only child.

Khushi, like the everyone in the room, was watching this conversation with rapt attention. She wanted to help Arnav, just to make sure he didn't die by her father's hands. However she decided to stay out of it, knowing how Arnav's pride would be hurt if she interfered in manly issues.

Arnav looked directly into Vivek's obsidian eyes, not showing an ounce of trepidation, not breaking eye contact. The man in front of him was his idol, a god in the business world. He was the very person who had made him what he was today. And now this man was his new father. There was no way he was going to back down.

"Because Khushi wouldn't have liked that."

Vivek raised an eyebrow, inwardly pleased at Arnav's response. "Go on."

"The last time Khushi asked for permission for anything from the both of you was to inquire if she could to the movies...alone...with a boy, and that was nine years ago when she was sixteen. That boy was me. Did you know that when I took Khushi to see that movie, it would be the last time that I would see her before going off to college in the States?" That much was true. Arnav had been a particularly grateful mood that day and had taken Khushi to see Koi Mil Gayaas his present to her.

"Everything that she is today is because of her hard work and tenacity. Not because she has the prestigious Rathod name, not because her parents gave her whatever she wanted. Asking anyone else but her would be an insult to Khushi, to the woman she is." He took a moment to look at her and was startled to see tears dripping down her face. Had his words touched her that much?

Khushi was beyond surprised at what he was saying. She hadn't expected him to remember the day when she had told him that their movie 'date' was the last time she had asked her parents' permission for anything. But then again, she had never expected this day to come. The fact that he remembered coupled with the way his low voice traveled throughout the room was doing something incredible to her heart. The organ was beating so loud she almost didn't hear his next words.

"Her life is in her own hands, not in the hands of her parents. This is why I didn't ask for your permission, because I knew that I wouldn't need it."

By this point, Aparna had come to stand next to her husband, her face matching Khushi's, tears never stopping. Arnav had never been good with weepy women, and she was no different.

The older woman came in front of Arnav brought his face down so she could kiss him tenderly on his forehead. Aparna's trembling hands wiped away the lipstick stain and let him go. "If Saroj was here today, she would be so proud of you beta." She swatted at the tears on her cheeks. "We couldn't have asked for a better son than you."

Arnav, for the first time in a long time, was lost for words. When Aunty had kissed him, it felt like his mother's touch. It was comforting and dependable. For eleven years he had been denied his mother's comfort. Was it too much to hope that he had gained a little bit back today? When she had called him 'beta', his heart threatened to burst. Everyone called him 'Chote' or 'Bhai' or 'Arnav' or 'ASR' or 'Raakshas', but never beta.

He was so lost in those thoughts that he didn't even register Vivek joining his wife until the older man embraced him.

"I completely agree, son. You're the only one who can deal with our pagli."

Khushi up until this point had been resting her head on Di's shoulder, watching the interaction between her – their parents, and Arnav with emotions that were too genuine to come from the 'show' Arnav was putting up. A small part of her couldn't help but know that he was not faking this, that his words were true. She had seen how he had gasped ever so slightly when her mother had kissed him, how utterly lost he seemed. One couldn't fake those emotions.

"Papa!" Khushi cried out in mock indignation. "I am not pagal!"

Then she saw the looks that everyone sent her and amended her statement. "I'm not that pagal."

"Oh really?" Arnav sent her a challenging look. "Do you remember the time when you were fifteen where you decided that we just hadto go eat gol gappas at two in the morning?"

Khushi winced. "Arnav...you promised never to tell anyone! Stop!" She glared at him, but he kept on smirking.

"I remember that Bhai! That was when Khushi dragged the two of us on Uncle's bike to some dhabba in the middle of nowhere!" Akaash piped in. He turned to Vivek. "Pata hai Uncle, Khushi nearly crashed the bike...twice!"

"Okay BAS!" Khushi yelled, resisting the urge to flinch at her father's glare. "So I am crazy, deal with it." Both ASR's were openly smiling now. "But it takes one to know one, Arnav."

That successfully wiped the smile off of his face, much to her pleasure. "Besides," She continued. "I can tell so many stories of our childhood where you were the pagla and I was the sane one. Tell me, dear, do you remember Calcutta...twelve years ago? Remind me what we did again, I seem to have forgotten."

Arnav and Akaash paled rapidly. Even Anjali was cringing remembering the idiotic idea that her brother had. Calcutta was something that they had promised never to mention...ever. Khushi was smirking at them dangerously. Divine retribution.

"Okay, fine...truce?" Arnav held out his hand for her to shake. She took it after a moment's thought.

"Truce." She agreed.

The living room descended into an awkward silence, no one really knowing where the conversation was headed. But then Mami reminded everyone why they had come into this room in the first place.

"Hello hi bye bye! Arnav bitwa, Khushi bitiyaan! Tum dono ki love eshtory to bataoon hame!"

Everyone nodded their heads eagerly, wanting to hear the tale of their epic romance.

Husband and wife glanced at each other, not knowing what to say. What could they say after all? Luckily, Khushi was a fast thinker and a bit better with words than Arnav.

She grabbed Arnav's hand and dragged him back to the love seat, forcing both of them to sit down. "Pata nahi, mami-ji. Hamari love story to main kya naam doon? I think it just...happened. Kab hua, kyun hua, yeh mujhe pata nahi, lekin hua to sahi!" She made sure that her tone held the appropriate amount of dreaminess to it.

Anjali was going to say something but Akaash promptly cut her off. "Wait. We want to know all the details...bhabhi. First and foremost...when did he give you that ring?"

"Last night." Arnav said. All the eyes turned to him. "I gave it to her last night." His gaze met Khushi's and an unspoken understanding that he was going to take over went through them.

"HA! See Di, I was right! Khushi coming to the office, then Bhai inviting her over, hushed conversations, the roof top, shopping! I can't believe this all happened in a period of twenty-four hours!" Akaash was jumping up and down on the balls of his feet. "And then last night when Khushi ran upstairs! That's when Bhai proposed! When Bhai told Khushi to take him to the office...they didn't go to the office, did they?" It was all coming together now. "But where exactly did you two go afterward?" One eyebrow arched up inquisitively.

Anjali refrained from mentioning the compromising position she had found the two of them in yesterday morning.

Arnav was doing his best to keep a straight face. "You're wrong Akaash. Last night, Khushi really did have a call to take and I really did have something else to deal with." He took a deep breath and looked straight at Khushi, hoping that she would forgive him for yet another lie. "We went to the office together, where I asked her to stay just for five minutes." It was hard keeping his voice steady. Lying had never been his forte.

Khushi was staring at him, waiting for him to tell the family that they were married. It seemed as though he was doing something else though...

"Akaash, I closed the Khurana deal earlier in the week and never told you. My main intention was to get Khushi in the office...alone."

Akaash whistled causing Payal to slap his arm gently.

The elders in the room looked particularly scandalized by those words. Vivek was glaring daggers at Arnav, wondering if he should retract his earlier words. Even Khushi was taken aback at how crass he was being.

It was then that Arnav realized how those words sounded and hurried to rectify the situation. "No no! Not like that. I needed to get her alone to propose! I didn't want any distractions from you folks...no offense."

Still, the family didn't seem convinced. "I swear! Me and Khushi...we haven't done anything that will dishonor any of you! So we didn't tell any of you...sorry. But if we told you, then you would force us to get married instead of let us take our own time. And it worked. See, I proposed to her. On my own. Without anyone helping me or telling me what to do." Arnav couldn't believe that he was saying all this. It was so uncharacteristic of him.

Isn't he forgetting that he married me yesterday? That definitely counts as dishonoring the family. Khushi thought. Unless...he doesn't want anyone to think that we're married?

It was Nani who started laughing first. Pretty soon, everyone was sniggering, chortling, and doing whatever other synonyms of laughing.

"Chote! You should have seen your face!" Anjali leaned on Shyam to stop herself from falling down. Just that one move had both Arnav and Khushi tensing at the same time.

"But Khushi, how exactly did Arnav propose?" Aparna asked after regaining her cool.

That question was easy to answer for her. "With jalebis. Seven boxes to be precise." She smiled from ear to ear remembering how flustered he seemed. " He knelt down on one knee and put a box in my hands, telling me to hear him out before I reacted. I think that's what made me say yes. You can get me to do anything if you bribe me correctly."

Anjali swooped down and kissed her brother on the cheek, still in shock that he had actually knelt down and proposed. She took pleasure in the red that was tinting his high cheekbones. Chote, blushing! Who would have thought!

"Aren't you not supposed to accept bribes in your profession?" Mama-ji asked teasingly.

"Well...if it's the right type of bribe..." Khushi trailed off, a naughty glint in her eyes. She winked at Arnav which threw him off guard.

"Typical Khushi." Her father sighed. "So you two are engaged...now what?"

Khushi looked at Arnav questioningly. He shook his head warningly. Hm, so she was right. He didn't want anyone to think that they were married. The whole point of them marrying each other was that she could come and live at Shantivan to protect Anjali. What was he doing?

Arnav could see Khushi's anger building no matter how much she was trying to conceal it. Now was when his plan began phase two.

"Now comes marriage." Arnav stated firmly.

"Yes, yes, but since you two have decided to westernize yourselves and forgo an engagement ceremony, we have to set a date, invite the guests, plan everything..." Nani trailed off when she saw Arnav's expression.

"No. When I say marriage, I mean right here. Right now. I've already made the arrangements. This will not be an elaborate wedding like Akaash's. I'm the one getting married, so it'll be done my way. No media, no guests, just us."

The silence that descended was oppressing this time. Arnav didn't feel the least bit awkward under the heavy scrutinizing looks. He could just tell everyone that they were married already, but that would lead to unwanted problems and questions that neither of them would answer. This route was better...'marry' in front of the family. Plus, Khushi couldn't complain about not having a real wedding. Sure there would be no sangeet, or mehndi, or haldi, or anything else, but it was better than going to the register and getting married.

"You planned this?" Akaash's voice broke the silence. "You purposefully gathered everyone here to get married?"

Arnav couldn't fault his brother for having an incredulous tone. He himself was still denying that it was ASR who had thought of this plan.

"Yes."

Throughout his entire explanation, Khushi had remained silent. She had pondered over his words and decided that he was right to be called a very shrewd man. Arnav had done this all for her...for her honor. She knew that he couldn't bear the thought of sitting through an entire Indian wedding, but he was going to. Just for her sake.

"Khushi-ji? What do you think? I mean, it is your potential wedding as well." Shyam asked in his falsely sweet tone causing her to barely repress a shudder at his voice. She felt Arnav tense by her side.

"I agree with Arnav. We should get married right now." Khushi said, her voice just as authoritative as Arnav's.

"But beta," Aparna placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Are you sure? Ever since you were a little child, you've wanted a big wedding."

Khushi smiled a small smile. "Yes maa, lekin I've changed my mind. Arnav and I love each other. We've known each other for two and a half decades. Frankly, I'm surprised that he even wants an Indian wedding. The western ones barely take fifteen minutes while Indian weddings take three days! Does it honestly matter who comes to the wedding, or how big it is? The only thing that matters is that we're surrounded by the people we love."

It was amazing how easily those words came out of her mouth. It was even more amazing at how real they sounded. She didn't even notice that she had entwined her fingers in Arnav's until he squeezed her hand gently.

Arnav raised their joined hands and placed a slow kiss on her hand, just like he had last night. Khushi's stomach flipped over a couple times at the delicious friction of his rough cheek rubbing against her soft hand. It felt like deja-vu.

Anjali beamed at the open display of affection he was showing for Khushi. Only in her wildest dreams had she considered that her Chote would do this. He had proved her wrong, and she couldn't be happier for both of them.

"So, do we have the support of the family?" Arnav asked, his eyes resting on every person in the room.

He didn't have to wait long for his answer as Mama-ji came up to him and gave him a fatherly hug. "As the eldest male Raizada in this house and the original ASR, I think it would be a sin if we didn't give you two our full support." Though he was incredibly happy for the two of them, the man couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong. One way or the other, he was going find out what was going on.

Vivek Rathod sighed dramatically, though the 1000 watt smile on his face ruined his 'I'm trying to be serious' attitude. "Fine. Take away my daughter from me. You're going to leave a father and mother heartbroken. Their little pari will be gone for-"

"I'll be fifteen minutes away, Papa." Khushi cut her father off from his theatrical speech while rolling her eyes. "You can come visit me every day. I'm barely at home anyway, I'm sure you two will do just fine. Plus, this means that Maa can come over every day to talk to Nani, Di, and Mami-ji. Life's not going to be very different." Both Khushi and Arnav couldn't help but disagree at her statement.

Life was going to be very different.

They knew it.

"Eshtop Arnav-bitwa!" Mami-ji cried out. Arnav turned to his overenthusiastic aunt, controlling a sigh. Now what?

"Ji, Mami-ji. Kya hai?"

"Aaj tumhari aur Khushi bitiyaan ki shaadi hai lekin look at you! In kapdo mein tum dono shaadi karne wale ho?" She looked scandalized at the very thought. "Aur hum! I wants to look eshtylish for my nephoos shaadi!!"

Khushi placed her hand over her mouth to stop giggling. "Mami-ji, no matter what you wear, it looks like your going to a wedding!"

Manorama smiled fondly at Khushi, feeling much better about herself. However, that didn't negate the fact that although Khushi was wearing red, she didn't look like a bride and Arnav didn't look like a groom.

Arnav saw Khushi looking herself up and down and praised himself for his impeccable planning. Everything was coming together very nicely.

Nani bit her finger anxiously. Manorama was right. The two of them didn't have the proper attire to get married. Perhaps her grandson had jumped the gun...

"Don't worry Mami-ji. If Khushi was to go in my room right now, she would find everything she needs to become the bride of Arnav Singh Raizada." He announced, not masking the smugness in his voice.

"What! Are you saying that I'm not fit to be the bride of Arnav Singh Raizada right now?" Khushi's voice was filled with fake hurt. Her eyes though, her eyes were filled with happiness at the fact that he had actually thought this thing through...

Little did she know that ASR, the man who was perfection incarnate, was improvising as he went.

He rolled his eyes. "Do you want to get married in that?" He asked gesturing to her simple outfit, one that was fit for breakfast and not marriage.

She felt her cheeks grow hot and her eyes flashed with anger. "Are you going to get married in that?" She retorted, waving a hand at his casual black shirt and trousers.

"I already have a suit waiting for me." He replied smoothly, his mouth upturned in a smirk, arms crossed over his chest, overall looking very smug.

"They're not even married and are already having their first marital spat." Akaash muttered to Payal who smiled.

"Didn't you say that they always fought as children? That would mean that their marital spats began since the both of them could talk properly. Then this should be normal behavior for them. I don't think that these two will ever change." Payal said, slipping her hand into her husband's.

Akaash groaned as he recognized the truth behind his wife's words. "Oye! Tum dono! Aaj tumhari shaadi hai! No fighting today!"

Khushi and Arnav turned to Akaash who was giving them pleading looks. Everyone else was just smiling.

Khushi relented first. "Fine Akaash, no fighting. Right Arnav?" Her tone allowed no dissent from him and he simply nodded. They wouldn't fight...not in public.

"Only Khushi can control him like that." Aparna whispered to her husband.

"And only Arnav can make Khushi forget that she's a grown woman as opposed to a five year old." Vivek smiled at his daughter and son's antics.

"They really are made for each other." Nani added in, looking fondly at the couple who were currently engaged in an intense eye battle.

This supposed made for each other jodi ended their battle. They had promised Akaash that they would not fight...at least not in public. As two people who were engaged and ready to be married (again), they should at least look the part.

"So, what exactly is in your room that will make me ready to be your bride?" She asked her husband innocently.

"Go see for yourself, Khushi." He said, a small smile on his face. He couldn't wait to see how she looked in the bridal wear. He had designed that particular sari himself for a show last year. Unfortunately, no model looked good in it...at least in his eyes.

"Chote, you said you had a suit waiting, but why don't you wear a sherwani today? Please...for Khushi?" Anjali chirped, hoping that she would get to see her baby brother in Indian clothes for a change.

To her surprise though, it was Khushi who spoke. "Di, you know Arnav. While he loves me to death, (she tried to hide the sarcasm in her voice) there is no way that Arnav will ever wear a sherwani, even if we are getting married. Plus, you know how he likes to complain when things don't go the way he wants. I don't want to be sitting next to someone who keeps on itching himself during marriage. If he's comfortable in a suit, then let it be."

Stunned silence was the reaction to her words. She raised one eyebrow up at everyone' wide open jaws. All she had said was the truth...so why the surprise? Even Arnav seemed to be at a loss for words.

Truth be told, Arnav had expected her to try to cajole him into wearing the long dress like thing. She was right, they were itchy and he was more comfortable in a suit. He wasn't prepared for her to take his side, especially after their hurried marriage last night. He had expected her to take some sort of revenge, but she was actually sounding like his life partner.

And that frightened him. But he didn't dare show it.

"Right well," He cleared his throat. "My suit is waiting to be worn. Khushi, just go upstairs and get ready. I'll be waiting for you in the backyard." As an afterthought he added, "And don't touch my plants!"

Her laugh echoed through the room, sending a shiver down his spine. It was so beautiful, so genuine. He would never be able to laugh like that.

"I wouldn't dream of it Nav. Don't worry." Inwardly, she was trembling, not quite believing that this was really happening, not wanting to believe that Arnav was doing this...getting rid of his own pride for her sake.

Oh she knew that he was simply going through all of this to save both of the the embarrassment of telling the entire family how they had gotten married...but a girl can dream.

It was Shyam who clapped his hands together, getting the attention of the entire family. Arnav and Khushi looked at him with heavily veiled contempt, noting the cold glint in his eyes. "Well Sale-Sahib, and Sali-Sahiba, if you two want to get married before noon I suggest that you both get ready and go to the backyard. Whatever Sale-Sahib has planned must be amazing." He said, smiling at both of them.

"Yes." Khushi's voice was marginally colder. "It must be." She turned to her mother and the other ladies. "Okay, all the women come with me, and all the men go with Arnav. It doesn't matter if you're from the bride or groom's family! This is going to be fun!" She squealed like a little girl, not sounding like a bride at all.

"Whatever." Arnav mumbled while going to the guest room on the first floor, the men following him.

Khushi just shook her head and literally flew into his bedroom with the ladies following her, chatting excitedly.

Through all of this, the Gupta Family, who had not said a word, stood in the living room feeling thoroughly confused.

"Hai re NandKishore!" Buaji exclaimed. "What kind of family did our Payalia marry into?"

Suffice to say, no one had any reply.

**********************************************************************************************

Khushi stared at the sari in awe. It was beyond beautiful. The blouse was the color of jade, two shades darker than the ring on her finger. The weight of the blouse was quite a bit for something so small. She took the netted material of the skirt in her hand and gaped at the intricate design. Heavy green embroidery outlined the red material.

"Arnav ne ye design kiya?" Her voice was laden with emotion that she knew she should not have for a fake wedding.

"Han. I've never seen it before though. He doesn't do traditional too often, and when he does, he can never find the right models. But I think that this was made just for you Khushi." Anjali replied, placing a hand on Khushi's shoulder.

"I...I think I'll go try it on now." She stammered and sprinted to the bathroom leaving behind a room full of emotional women.

"I never thought I'd see this day!" Aparna sobbed into Nani's arms. "My Khushi, my pari is getting married to my beta!"

"I never thought that Chote would agree to marry anyone, let alone Khushi-bitiyaan." Nani mused, patting Aparna on the head..

"Well, Nani, Aunty, now that in just some time the two of the most important people in my life are becoming one (finally), I think we can all rest easier tonight." Anjali added, tears in her eyes.

Payal was about to say something as well, but was cut off by Khushi emerging from the bathroom, fingering her pallu nervously.

Keep calm Khushi, deep breaths. Remember, you're NOT nervous. Just because you have to play the part of a blushing bride does NOT mean that you are one. Although...what will Arnav's reaction be?I think I look nice in this. What is he wearing again...oh yes, a suit. It's probably one of his black Armani ones in which all of his muscles – STOP! Shut up! Wow Khushi Rath- I mean Khush Singh Raizada, you're arguing with yourself.

Her inner monologue was freaking her out even more.

"Khushi..." She heard her mother's gasp. Ever so slightly, Khushi lifted her head and saw their stunned looks.

"You look...mesmerizing." Aparna came over to her only child slowly and smoothed out the pleats of her Sari. Was this really her baby? It seemed only like yesterday that the day was July 13th, the year 1987, when little Khushi Rathod came into the world, her hazel eyes taking in every little detail, small hands reaching out, trying to grab something.

And now...and now her baby was looking like an absolute goddess in the Sari that Arnav had designed. She always knew that boy was destined for great things.

"Sach, maa?" Khushi's voice was so innocent that tears erupted even faster down Aparna's cheeks.

"Yes beta. Arnav won't be able to take his eyes off of you." She added the last part with a snicker.

"Nooo!" Mami wailed, causing the ladies to turn towards the eccentric woman.

"Manorama, kya hua?" Nani asked, concerned.

Manorama took deep breaths, placing her hand on her heaving chest. "Khushi-bitiyaan ijj lookings more bootiful than me!" She cried dramatically.

Khushi couldn't help but burst out laughing at Mami's exclamation. "Mami-ji, you look amazing every day, can't I have this one day to myself?"

The older woman sighed but nodded. Payal was taking mental notes from her bhabhi on how to pacify her judgmental mother-in-law.

"Sit Khushi. I'll do your hair." Anjali guided her towards Arnav's dresser and sat her down. Khushi watched as Anjali gently braided her long locks and twisted it into a bun. A sudden rush of hatred towards Shyam shook her body. That man was going to hell, and no one could stop her from sending him their, not even Devi Maiyaan herself.

Anjali softly announced that she was done and stepped back to look at her handiwork. Aunty was right, Khushi was mesmerizing today. Chote was a lucky man to have the love of this amazing woman. She intended to get the full story of their courtship out of them tonight.

Nani came up behind Khushi and gently placed the narrow pallu over her granddaughter-in-law's head.

"Chalo. Chote hamari intezaar kar raha hoga."

Arnav was dressed, as Khushi predicted, in a brand new black Armaani suit. He sat at the mandap, a smug look on his face. Everything was going perfectly. Aman had not disappointed him at all. The priest had come on time, the decorators had arranged an outdoors mandap within an hour, he was dressed to the nines, the only real damper was Shyam.

Oh, and the fact that he wasn't sure how he was going to react when Khushi came.

He didn't have to wait long.

There she was, her face shrouded from him by her veil, but he could imagine the way her beautiful eyes would widen as she took in the decorations.

And that dress..he felt himself go hot around the collar. It really was meant for her. The straps of her blouse rested across her collarbones, leaving her toned arms bare to his heated gaze. Her waist was barely covered by the pallu. The netted material was practically see through. He didn't have to imagine how creamy her skin was, how perfect she looked.

She had worn the jewelery set that he had provided: matching bangles, a mangtika, a necklace, and earrings. They were relatively simple, but on her, they looked magnificent.

As she neared him, the first thing he saw was his ring, the one he had given her this morning. His gut clenched. Arnav knew that he shouldn't feel the primal satisfaction that he was at seeing his gift on her, but he couldn't help it. She was his.

Vivek came to his daughter's side and gently placed her hand in his, leading her towards husband. This was his makeshift kanyadaan. In Christian weddings, the father walks the daughter down the isle, and that was what he was doing. She looked beautiful, like a princess, his princess. And now he was giving her away to her prince.

Vivek led her to Arnav where Khushi took her place in front of Arnav, glancing at him only once, trying not to notice how sexy he looked in that suit, or how he was making no attempt to not look at her.

Arnav couldn't take his eyes off of her. He didn't care if she felt uncomfortable or shy. He barely noticed that his father-in-law had placed her right palm in his own.

The priest looked at both of them and frowned slightly, careful to disguise it. Honestly, these wealthy youngsters! The groom had called him suddenly, literally demanding that he come to his house. The groom whose name was Arnav had also asked him to do only what was necessary, meaning there were to be no extra rituals.

The crowd, which consisted of twelve people, watched as these two were joined in holy matrimony.

The priest was chanting Sanskrit mantras, first to Ganesha, then to Saraswati, and of course, the one for harmony.

Om Sahana Vavatu

Sahanu Bhunaktu

Saha Viryam Karavavahi

Tejas Vinavadhi Tamastu

Maa Vidhvisha vahi

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti hi.

Someone was throwing rice on their heads. It was bloody irritating! The grains were getting stuck in his gelled hair...and Khushi was laughing at him! How dare she. At least she had a veil to cover her head, he had no such luxury.

Next was the garland placing. He always thought that this came at the end, but it didn't. Slowly, he took the flowery contraption and placed it over her head, only to have her sneeze violently. She shot him an apologetic glance while he simply sighed, lowering his head and silently asking her to place the damned thing over him.

Indian weddings were extremely long. That was the mutual consensus between the two of them. It was one thing to watch a wedding, but it was a completely different ordeal to go through it. And this was the shortened version!

More than once, Khushi found herself wanting to adjust her blouse so that the heavily studded piece of clothing didn't irritate her sensitive skin. Her hand was still in Arnav's though, and she couldn't move her blouse with her left hand. So she resigned herself to stay uncomfortable, cursing Arnav many times in her head.

Finally, it was time for the seven rounds. By this point, Arnav and Khushi had said many things in a language that they didn't understand, not realizing that their words were binding.

Arnav stood first, helping Khushi up. The priest was exasperated that the groom had not worn a sherwani as he couldn't tie the bride's pallu to the dupatta that a sherwani had. So instead, he and the family members improvised and tied the bride's pallu securely around the groom's hand.

The priest made Arnav walk around the fire three times while chanting "I am Vishnu, you are Lakshmi. I am the Harmony of music, you are the words of wisdom. I represent heaven, while you are the earth itself, personified. Let us become one, with minds in harmony. Let us live a long life together, and while living, let us see and hear the best things in life". Of course, if Arnav had any idea what he was saying, he would have never said it.

He again led her around the fire four more times before it was time for the most important part of the wedding...the end of it.

Or more specifically...the Saptapadi, seven steps. As this was a North Indian wedding, she led the first six steps while he led the last one.

Each step invoked a promise.

To nourish each other.

Her grip on his hand tightened.

To grow together in strength.

He gently caressed the back of her palm.

To preserve our wealth.

They both snorted.

To share our joys and sorrows.

They already did that. It was because they were sharing sorrow that they had married each other.

To care for our children.

Khushi nearly missed the step. What children?

To be together forever.

Or at least until Shyam was gone.

To remain lifelong friends, the perfect halves to make a perfect whole.

A perfect match.

Arnav couldn't believe that Shyam had done the same with his Di, and broken every promise. Judging by Khushi's morose expression, she couldn't either. There was something about watching her that fascinated him. Her feelings were always clear to him, so transparent, so visible, so unlike him.

He wondered if the saying 'opposites attract' was true. But were they so different? Arnav looked at her again.

No, no they weren't. He could admit that now without any qualms. Both had built their statuses in society through sheer determination, both were monsters in their fields, both would do anything to secure the happiness of those that they loved. The list could go on.

They sat down again, this time, with Khushi to his left. Khushi looked out into their small audience, not surprised to see the women all teary-eyed. What did surprise her was that her father was desperately trying to fight back tears, even holding on to Akaash for support. Her poor brother-in-law gave her a pleading look causing her to stifle her laughter.

"Nav." She murmured, slipping her hand from his at the priest's bequest.

"Hm?" Arnav ignored the twinge of longing for her hand back.

"How did you do this?" He saw her wave her hand at the elaborate mandap.

He smirked, turning to her ever so slightly and regretted it the very next instant.

She was close enough to him so that he could see every lash, feel her breath falling on his face, see the way her chest rose and fell rapidly. Ha! He wasn't the only one affected by their proximity.

"I'm Arnav Singh Raizada. People fall at my feet to do what I want." His arrogant tone was offset by the way his breath had hitched.

She rolled her eyes and sighed. Arnav would be Arnav.

"Oye!" Akaash yelled from the audience. "Bhai and Bhabhi are having a private conversation! That's not allowed!"

Both of them shot annoyed glares at Akaash who grinned back cheekily, giving them a thumbs up.

Now was the time for the tying of the mangalsutra, the Indian equivalent of a ring, the ultimate sign of a married woman. Arnav took the beaded necklace from the priest and gently draped it around Khushi's neck, clasping it in place. His fingers gently grazed her swan-like neck, its softness sending butterflies into his stomach. He felt her stiffen under his touch, goosebumps breaking out on the delicate skin.

Khushi was in a daze as she stood up, her legs numb from sitting for hours. She stumbled slightly only to have Arnav's hand shoot out and grab her around the waist. Her bare waist. She felt his arm snake around her, his fingers splayed against her skin, leaving behind a blazing trail as he moved his hand.

Their eyes met for a split second before the priest ushered them off the mandap.

Khushi took a deep breath. Somewhere, in the bottom of her heart, she knew that this was binding. They couldn't get out of this, no matter what any of them said.

Arnav took a deep breath. From the minute that his hand touched the tempting skin of her waist, he knew he was gone.

Gone was the hate from their childhood, replaced with admiration instead. Gone was the rivalry that had driven the two, replaced with sportsmanship.

They were in too deep, and they knew it. Had they really married each other to save Anjali, or was this what they wanted all along?

Whatever the case was, it was time to begin anew, the holy Agni which they had walked around seven times as their witness.

Fire.

Pure energy

That which burns yet purifies.

That which hurts yet heals.

Shyam would get what was coming to him.

Two beings had just been joined together, their union witnessed by Agni himself. Two people whose entire existence was fueled by heat, by adrenaline, whose bodies were composed of a fighting spirit.

The ultimate team, two halves to a whole.

If Shyam Manohar Jha could see the future, he would know better than to mess with the family of ASR and KSR. He thought that he was the one who could escape unscathed from the upcoming storm.

He was wrong.

He should have known that fighting fire with fire will only lead to utter destruction.

His.

Precap: What kind of Suhaag Raat is this?

So I don't care if it was utter crap, but this chapter of the 'real' marriage needed to be put up. Please note, that the marriage rituals are, for the most part, correct.

This marriage signifies change, a new chapter in their lives. After this...the fun begins. It's time to rip Shyam apart piece by bloody piece! And it's time for ArHi to fall in love (or at least realize that they're in love) as well...

Buddy me for PM's!

Khushi's Sari
The Mandap
Arnav's Suit
-HoneyBoo- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
Res

*edit*

hahahaha OMG they got married in front of everyone??!!!..
Hell nawh was i expecting that!!...uhn uhn...

Totally loved the update..

It was a bit emotional, funny, romantic, cute, overwhelming, ugh as well (the shyam parts only)...

Over all ...GRAWESOME!!!...

Please update soon;)...
I cant wait to see what happenes in the next chap..lol what kind of a wedding night is this?..hahha LOL!

Anyways, thanks for the pm:)..
Ps: me is FIRST!!..
Hahaha
Edited by ArhiAbhiya - 11 years ago
fffan123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
What a Fantabulous update Vedu. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ Loved it absolutely. You have a really amazing FF going on here. ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ stars to you for your wonderful writing.

It had everything, emotions, drama, love, romance and creepiness due to the creep 😑 Loved how they got married again so that their families would be happy and loved Khushi's saree.

Now looking forward to the Suhag raat. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Edited by fffan123 - 11 years ago
ISensedYou thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
they both got married in front of every1πŸ₯³πŸ˜
omg...am jumpin nw...iam sooo happy...it was so enlightnin to read it...
they hv to realise their love 4 eachoter...yipeee...
suhag raat will b fyn ryt or wat??😳...tanx 4 d pm...as usual i was sooo happy to receive ur pm...n ofcorse much more to read d update...
thank u so much 4 d lovely n amazin update...update soon
Edited by kamalapushpa - 11 years ago
sunshine23 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
res
* Edit *

Ok, what do I say?
Anything I say will not do justice to this part. It was just perfect..it was cute, breathtaking, and just beautiful!

The way you described everything about the wedding, and the pictures you provided made it so much better!

I hope you update reeeally reallly sooon!..and thanks so much for sending me PMs 😊 

Edited by sunshine23 - 11 years ago
smile1412 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Amazing!

AMAZING!!!!!!!

Khushi cdnt hv asked for anything better!!!!! Oh! The way you described it didn't look anything less than a lavish wedding! So what if there were only about 12 people witnessing the ceremony!!!!

Arnav , dude , you did it ( this is for you vedu!!!!πŸ˜‰)

Beautiful!!!!! The emotions that flitted across khushi's n Arnav's face , the family's happiness which knew no bounds when they realized just how much these two were made for each other!!!!!!!

To conclude, just one word , just as I started in this post----

A M A Z I N G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by smile1412 - 11 years ago
bhadraprasad thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Thanks for the lovely update.😊We could imagine the time you have taken to finish the lengthy update.Special thanks for thatπŸ˜ƒ.The chapter would have lost its charm if you have divided it into two.
Your judgement is perfect as usualπŸ‘.Mere words can't say the beauty of such a beautiful chapter.
 Hats off to you. Awaiting the next update
Edited by bhadraprasad - 11 years ago
segad thumbnail
Liked it.  Wedding rituals were necessary I think, becos' these two idiots are going to have to think back to this day at some point in the future after they kick out Shyam and figure out what they got themselves into.  My apologies for the scrambled grammar in that sentence, but i think you get the gist
Rhysenn thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
This chapter had me speechless. Truly amazing!
dumas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
awesome update loved it the wedding was perfectly done loved how the kept getting caught up in the moment awesome update loved it mind blowing update thanks for the pm