Fan Fictions

ArHi FF: Highway to Hell, note pg 147 - Page 98

madmaxine thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

Chapter 21: Kahin pe nigahein, kahin pe nishana'

ASR walked past Khushi's cabin for the third time that morning, hoping to say hello. It was almost 11 am and she still wasn't in. It was unlike her to be late to work. He went to talk to Freddy. Freddy, Aadit and Jeremy, Freddy's long-suffering personal assistant were working in his office. Or it looked like they were trying to work, and Freddy was thwarting their attempts.

"Hey guys! What's happening?" asked ASR casually.

"We're trying to get some work done. But how can I work when people keep interrupting and walking in like this is Grand Central Station?" asked Freddy through his teeth.

"Don't mind him. He's just grumpy 'cos Minnie's not coming in this morning." Said Aadit.

"Why er-not?" asked ASR, trying not too sound too desperate.

"Nita's sick. Min called this morning. Said Nita has a fever and is clinging to her. She won't stay with Nigel when she's sick. Minnie said she'd come in later in the afternoon if the baby is feeling better and is calm enough to go to Nigel," finished Aadit.

"Ohh. OK, Does she need a doctor? Payal knows a good pediatrician." Said ASR, fishing out his phone.

"Well, she said it's probably just the flu. She didn't sound too fussed about it," said Aadit.

"OK," said ASR, not sounding convinced.

"That kid sure gets sick a lot," interjected Jeremy. "This is the third time in 2 months she's gotten the flu."

"She's a baby. It's a new country. She has the flu. It happens!" said Freddy, nettled. "Out!" he yelled suddenly.

"Freddy, I was just," said Jeremy.

"Are you deaf? I said Out!" said Freddy. Jeremy scuttled out quickly.

"Freddy, why are you taking your anger out on poor Jeremy?" said Aadit.

"Aadit! If you value your life you won't say another word. Just leave!" said Freddy turning red. Aadit shook his head at Freddy and left quietly.

"You worried about Nita?" asked ASR. It didn't seem to ASR like Freddy was having a temper tantrum. Freddy turned to ASR sharply.

"I'm her Godfather. Of course I'm worried about her!" he snapped.

"Any other reason?" asked ASR perceptively.

"No. Will you please leave me alone?" said Freddy darkly. After ASR left, Freddy sat at his desk, twirling a pencil in his fingers. Jeremy had been wrong. It wasn't the third time Nita had had the flu. It was the fourth such episode in the last 2 months. Freddy was worried. He didn't want to alarm Khushi. But he was worried it wasn't just the flu.

ASR sent Khushi a text asking if she needed any help with Nita, and offering to take her to a good Pediatrician if necessary. She replied saying things were under control, but excused her self from dinner that night. ASR sighed when he read that text. He had forgotten about dinner in all the fuss over Nita. But he couldn't help but feel for a fleeting minute that this date with Khushi was jinxed.

That evening

Aadit dropped Anjali at her home. They'd gone out for coffee and dessert that evening.

"Thanks for coffee Aadit. I had a good time," said Anjali.

"You look very pretty tonight," said Aadit looking into Anjali's eyes. She was wearing a sea green cotton sari. She always wore pastel shades, he had noticed. "Why don't you wear bright colors?" he asked. "Not that it matters. You look lovely in anything. Just curious, I've only ever seen you in light shades," He asked.

"Aadit. I am 39 years old. I dress my age." She sighed.

"What rubbish. You are absolutely gorgeous. I don't care how old you are. You should wear every color there is out there," He said. She blushed at his words.

"Really?" she asked. "You think I should wear bright red or hot pink?" she asked smilingly.

"I think you could wear a sack cloth and you'd look amazing. Though I'd give something to see you in a red miniskirt!" said Aadit, winking.

"Aadit, I wear a brace on my leg. I can't wear anything that bares my legs." She said quietly.

"Well, a long pink dress then." Said Aadit compromising.

"I don't think I could carry that off. I'll stick to saris and salwar suits," She replied.

"Anju, you wear what you like. To me, you are beautiful in anything. But I'll tell you this. You should break out of your comfort zone once in a way. It's scary, but thriliing. You'll like the adrenaline rush." He said. "And the feeling of accomplishment when you do something you're scared of, it's amazing."

"But Aadit, I'm not scared of wearing a dress. I'm just not comfortable in it." Said Anjali.

"Anju, you think about why you're not comfortable with it. Then decide if you're afraid, or not." Said Aadit quietly. "OK, I gotta get going. I want to drop in on Min and see how Nita's doing.

"Oh. Yes, you should do that. Do you think I can go with you?" asked Anjali wistfully.

Aadit looked awkwardly at her. "I'm sorry Anju. I don't think she'd like it. She's not quite comfortable with you yet. And today, her baby's sick. Maybe some other time," he said.

"You're probably right," she sighed.

"Just for now Anju. Sooner or later she will have to get used to the idea of us together. I will take you to her house. But not right now. Give her time, OK?" he said kindly.

"OK," said Anjali trying to smile, but not quite succeeding through the tears that suddenly misted her eyes. He brushed them away lightly. She held the hand brushing the tears away from her cheek, stood up on her toes and kissed him. Just a quick brush of her lips against his. It was over before he knew it. Before he could react, she pulled away.

"Goodnight Aadit. See you tomorrow," she said.

"Good night Anju." He said, giving her a million watt smile. He watched her step inside the house and turned to leave. He'd almost reached his car when he thought of something and turned. "Why not?" he thought. He was pretty sure she would be very surprised and he'd get a kick out of it. He walked back to the house and stood looking up at it for a few minutes. He was pretty sure he knew which room was Anjali's. Aadit shimmied up the wall to Anjali's room holding onto the trellises climbing up the wall. He rested his feet on crevices in the concrete and made his way up fairly securely to her balcony. He jumped in lightly and drew the curtains of her room apart slightly. The room was dark.

"Psst. Anju, it's me." He whispered. "That sample tasting of your lips downstairs wasn't enough. I need a proper kiss." He said, making his way into the room. The lights turned on suddenly. "You like the lights on baby! Me too," he said happily, when he felt a light tap on his shoulder and turned around.

"ASR! You. This isn't Anju's room?" asked Aadit, taking a step back.

"Why are you climbing into our house like a thief?" asked ASR. "Front door bell not working?" he smiled. It wasn't a pleasant smile.

"I, err," stammered Aadit.

"And you were climbing into my sister's room? At night. Through the balcony. To..to'God, I can't even say it!" said ASR disgustedly. He walked menacingly towards Aadit. Aadit swallowed.

"ASR. I can explain," He said.

"No explanations necessary. I.Am.Going.To.Kill.You." said ASR tightly. But before he could do anything Aadit ran past him and into the balcony. He shimmied down the wall faster than Spiderman. "Only if you catch me ASR. Only if you catch me." He said, panting as he got into his car. ASR looked at Aadit running to his car. "You can run Aadit. But you can't hide. I'll get you in the office tomorrow." He smiled grimly.

Aadit drove the car a few kilometers away and pulled over to the side of the road. He found his phone and called Anjali. She picked up on the first ring, laughing.

"Kahin pe nigahein, kahin pe nishana

Aayaa shikaari o panchhi tu sambhal ja -
Dekh jaal hai zulfon ka tu chupake se nikal ja -
Ud ja o panchhi shikaari hai deewaana
Kahin pe nigaahen kahin pe nishaana" she sang in her sweet, low voice.

"So you know?" he groaned.

"Chotey was in here 10 minutes ago. He was very, very angry. He practically had steam coming out of his ears," Anjali laughed again. "Don't worry, I've calmed him down. And he won't do anything to you. I threatened him with dire consequences if he does," She said.

"Anju, this is all your fault!" he complained.

"My fault? How so?" she asked still laughing.

"You shouldn't have kissed me. And if you did, you should've kissed me properly. Not a half-hearted peck like the one you gave me. Obviously I needed a proper kiss," He complained.

"Awww. Poor baby. You want to come back for a proper kiss? You can ring the bell. Chotey will probably open it for you," she laughed till tears ran down her cheeks.

"Err. Not tonight. I'll wait for an evening when your Nazi brother is out of the way. Or at least, is in a better mood and won't threaten to kill me." Said Aadit still sounding scared.

"Anju, you told him not to beat me up right?" he asked, making sure.

"I did. He won't harm a hair on your head. Relax, Aadit."

"OK. Good night. We're on for dinner tomorrow, right?" he asked.

"Yep. Good night Aadit. Sweet dreams." She said. He was such a big doofus, she mused as she dropped off to sleep. She could learn to love him very easily, she thought.

"She probably thinks I'm a doofus," thought Aadit, as he commenced driving again. He shook his head. "Ladki pataane ke liye bahut paaped belne padte hain!" he quipped.

An hour later Aadi rang the bell at Khushi's house. He had stopped on the way for a quick cigarette to calm his jangled nerves. Then he had made another pit stop to buy gum and some flowers for Khushi. He couldn't think what to get Nita when she was sick, so he settled for pink roses for her Mom. The door swung open and his favorite person in the world stood there, holding it open.

"ASR! You here!" Aadit asked faintly. He almost wanted to turn tail and run.

"Who is it ASR?" asked Khushi, coming into the living room.

"It's Aramis" said ASR, smiling through clenched teeth. "You know Aadit", he said, conversationally, linking his arm with Aadit's tightly as he pulled him in. "Have you noticed how Aramis rhymes with Haraami?" he asked softly.

"Errr.No" said Aadit, pulling his arm away with difficulty. "Here Min. These are for you." He said thrusting the pink roses into her arms. "How's Nita? All better, I hope?" he asked quickly. Khushi was looking at Aadit and ASR with a puzzled expression on her face. She wondered why Aadit was looking so jumpy.

"She's better Aadit. No fever now. She's sleeping. I just managed to get her to sleep," Said Khushi.

"Well, that's good," said Aadit. "OK Minnie, I must be going." He said turning towards the door.

"Aadit! You just got here. Come in. Have a drink. Freddy's here too," said Khushi pulling Aadit in.

"Yes Aadit! Let's have a drink together," said ASR very sweetly. Aadit shot him a scared look. He held Khushi's hand tightly and followed her to the living room couch where Freddy and Nigel were also sitting. Khushi handed the guys a beer each and took one her self.

"God. I am so tired. That hits the spot," she said taking a hefty swig of the beer.

"Where's Sheila?" asked Aadit.

"Sleeping." Said Nigel shortly.

"Thanks for coming you guys. I appreciate the support. And the company. Nita drove me crazy today. Poor baby was so tired and cranky," said Khushi.

"Anytime Minnie. I wanted to see Nita too," said Freddy quietly.

"Yeah, anytime Minnie. You know I love you," said Aadit, holding her hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"Are you like this with every woman you know?" asked ASR frowning.

Aadit released Khushi's hand like it was a boiling potato. "Err.No," he said.

"C'mon ASR. Get over it," said Khushi. "Aadit's known me for almost 4 years now. We are good friends."

"Yes, ASR." Said Aadit. "Khushi's almost like a sister to me," he said hastening to clarify.

"Seek your sisters elsewhere!" said ASR tightly. "Oh, and on the subject of sisters, please refrain from climbing up the walls of my house to my sister's room."

"Aadit! You did what?" asked Khushi, looking shocked.

"It was a mistake," said Aadit miserably.

"What was a mistake?" asked Nigel, looking confused.

"I err' climbed into ASR's room by mistake instead of Anjalis' room," explained Aadit, red in the face.

Freddy, Khushi and Nigel roared with laughter. Aadit looked petrified of ASR. And ASR looked at Aadit as if he wanted to rip his throat out.

"Aadit! You are the only guy I know who likes one girl, and plays footsie with the girl sitting next to her. And climbs into her brother's room at night. You need help Aadit, you are hopeless!" exclaimed Freddy.

"I'm with Freddy Aadit. You're a dolt!" said Nigel.

"But an endearing dolt!" said Khushi, ruffling Aadit's hair.

"Endearing! Why is HE endearing?" asked ASR.

"Because, sometimes men that screw up are cute. Not like you, perfection personified. A plan for everything, and everything according to plan." Said Khushi. "Women like spontaneity sometimes."

"And climbing a wall to your room is considered spontaneous?" asked ASR.

"Oh it's super romantic!" said Khushi. "If someone scaled a wall to come to me, I'd be so flattered."

"What if he turned out to be a serial killer?" asked ASR. "Only criminals need to scale walls, normal people use the door."

"Killjoy!" said Khushi. They sat around ribbing Aadit for the rest of the evening. He took it in good part. ASR sat there nursing his beer, looking grouchy. He couldn't hurt Aadit because he'd promised his Di. And Khushi seemed to think doing silly things like climbing walls was romantic. "I will never understand what women want!" he thought grumpily.

Sorry, no date yet😊. My brain doesn't want this date, for some reason. Anyways..hope you liked it. Let me know your thoughts.

Edited by madmaxine - 12 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nyxx thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Vidhya, You made my day 🀣 Aadit/Aramis/Haraami was the highlight of the part for suree, and after hearing Khushis like for spontaneity, Arnav is surely going to stop scaring poor Aadit, and perhaps, learn a few from himπŸ˜‰ I can completely imagine ASR scaring and just terrorizing Aadit, but again, he is a quite endearing fellow..haha!

It was a treat to read this part!! As for Nita, Im really hoping things arent too serious, but it looks like it might be..from Freddie's view. Waiting to know more on that. And no date again...hmmm...whens it gunna happen now? lol Its jinxed for sure... 

Fab update as always! The title perfectly compliments the part as well!

- Dee
Edited by nyxx - 12 years ago
pal89711 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
res*

wow this is the closest I have ever gotten to be atleast one of the first to comment, well next time I will most def aim to be 1st one to comment hehe...

awesome part..was looking forward for the ArHi dinner date but i guess will just wait till next update hopefully for it...throughtout the whole ASR and Aadit scene i was LMAOing, the beginning part where Freddy seemed to be tensed about Nita's health gets me little worried, hopefully it is just the flu and she gets better soon...I really don't want any tragic scene to come plzzz...once again superbly written waiting to read next part soon :D
Edited by pal89711 - 12 years ago
dumas thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
"Aadit! You are the only guy I know who likes one girl, and plays footsie with the girl sitting next to her. And climbs into her brother's room at night. 
that line in it self was funny 
very funny update love the update 
take your time and when your ready when you have it perfect in your mind then write the date 

Edited by dumas - 12 years ago
music1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Khushi is having one hell of a timeπŸ˜›.Poor gal she so deservs it.Now if u could spice it up with some romance that would be the perfect icing on the cake.I know u will get there eventually.The thing that worries me now is Nita.I hope she doesn't have any serious health problem.Poor kiddo.,She is too young for suffering .
bookadict303 thumbnail
Awhhh poor Nita...continue soon :)
..Anita.. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
hilarious update
aadit is so adorable...he is such a hopeless romantic
please update soon and thanks for the pm
ssr565 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Loved it. The last part was so funny. Was rofl. Good one. Dear, Give a break to Arnie. He badly needs it.
zafi thumbnail
awesome update.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ full of laughsπŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
littlemoi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
hahahahhahaaha the arnav and aadit parts made me laugh my heart out!! bechara aadit!! lol haahahah im still laughing while typing this!! the first part though.. kinda got me worried.. its not just some regular flu that nita got.. is it?