Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DMGThings thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 months ago

Track Sixty Seven - Raakh, Arijit Singh

Sid sighed as he watched Tamanna playing with her daughter and some of the other kids from the orphanage. It had been weeks since he'd confessed to Tamanna but was yet to get a response from her. He understood that it might've been sudden for her, and she needed time to process what he'd said. He was happy to wait till she was sure. He just hadn't anticipated that she would take so long to come to a decision. Maybe he ought to speak to her himself, he decided. 

Luck seemed to be on his side as the moment the thought crossed his mind, he saw Rahul amble his way across the lawn and pick Myra up in his arms. Suddenly, all the kids' attention was taken by whatever Rahul was saying, and Tamanna was left alone as the gaggle of children ran around with Rahul. Deciding to take advantage of the situation, Sid immediately walked up to Tamanna.

"Hey," he greeted her, a hopeful grin etched across his face. 

"Hey," Tamanna replied, looking anywhere but him. It struck Sid as odd, but he shrugged it off. Maybe she was feeling shy. 

"Ummm, how are you?" He asked her.

"Fine," she replied, not saying anything else, not even politely enquiring after Sid. 

It was getting clearer that she didn't want to have a conversation with him. Maybe it was still too soon for her? Sid didn't know. What he knew was that it had been too long for him. He couldn't wait any longer in this limbo without knowing the outcome. So, despite her disinterest, Sid continued. "Ummm," he mumbled, scratching the back of his neck. "Can we talk? In private?"

Tamanna exhaled sharply through her nose. She should've known it was coming. There was no way that she could avoid this. Sid would demand answers. She had always known that. She was just hoping for more time to get her bearings in order and make peace with his past, lest she did something unforgivable in her anger. That she would never get romantically involved with Sid had become abundantly clear to her by now, but she still wanted to let him down gently. She wasn't entirely sure if he deserved that kindness, but she didn't want any unnecessary drama in her life. But, Riddhima's words were echoing in her mind, clear as the day she'd spoken them, Riddhima's sobs still plaguing her thoughts, Armaan's helplessness in being unable to comfort her, still playing like a scene when she closed her eyes. 

However, if Sid was so eager, she wouldn't make him wait. It struck her just then, how Sid had promised that he'd wait however long she wanted, but was now here, only a few days since their previous conversation. Clearly, he hadn't meant what he'd said back then. It only strengthened her resolve. 

"What's up?" She asked once they'd walked to a somewhat secluded spot on the premises. 

"I'm sure you know what I wanted to ask," Sid replied. Tamanna bobbed her head but didn't verbalize a response. "Look, Tamanna. I know I said I'll wait for you. And I will, trust me. But I just… I need to know. Are you thinking about it? Which direction are you leaning in? Can we be together? If not now, then sometime in the future?"

Tamanna almost scoffed at him. If he was willing to wait, why was he pressuring her for an answer? She took a deep breath so as to not shout, before saying. "I did think about it. And I've decided. I just hadn't said anything because I was trying to find a way to break it to you gently. I'm sorry, Sid. I can't be in a relationship with you."

"You… What?" Sid looked at her, almost flabbergasted. She didn't? In any scenario, Sid hadn't expected that. Whenever he pictured this conversation, Tamanna was eagerly saying yes. Or, asking for a few months to get her affairs in order to move back to India, which is when they'd date. Maybe even some time to get her daughter used to the idea. But never an outright no. 

"We cannot be a couple," Tamanna repeated patiently.

"Why?" Sid demanded.

"Sid, I just adopted a child. My entire focus is on my daughter, like she deserves. I don't have the time for a relationship. Not when I'm trying to build a family with her," Tamanna replied, hoping to dissuade him.

"Okay," Sid replied. "So… I won't get in the way of that. Your relationship with your daughter is none of my business."

Tamanna didn't know if that was a good or a bad thing, but it was definitely not the response she'd been expecting. "That doesn't change anything. I want to spend all my time with Myra."

"I get that. But, anyway, I'll be here and it'll take a while before you can move back home, right? So, you can spend all that time with her," Sid tried.

Tamanna scoffed. He'd just assumed she'd move back. "Sid, I'm not moving back," she told him.

"No?!" Sid was surprised. "But, your parents are here. I thought you'd want to be with them."

"My parents are here," Tamanna agreed. "Because their life is here right now. Mine is not. It never will be. It's something they understand. They're happy for me. And anyway, I will have them move in a few years once I'm in a higher position at work and can give them the life they deserve in New York."

"Oh," Sid replied. He was quiet for a few minutes, contemplating. He shouldn't have assumed. Who would want to give up a life in America for one in India? Not him. "Ummm, I can move there in a few years. And then we can try?"

"Sid, there is nothing between us. Not now, not ever," Tamanna finally said. "There is no future in this."

"Why not?" Sid questioned. "I understand your priorities are different right now and I respect that. But once you're settled in your dynamic with Myra, we can try then."

"We can't," Tamanna stated. "We can never do that, because I don't see you that way."

"But I thought you liked me!" Sid exclaimed. "Before you left for Canada… Back when we were interning together… I thought you liked me."

"I might've had a small crush on you back then but that doesn't mean I still do," Tamanna told him. 

"But, if we tried, it could happen again, couldn't it? You liked me once. You can like me again," Sid tried. He was trying too hard, he knew. But, he didn't know what else to do. He was coming on too strong, but it was because it felt like this was his last chance. In the time since he'd separated from Riddhima, he'd spent many years trying to fall in love again. At first, he'd waited for Riddhima to come back to him, but when she hadn't, he had also tried to move on. At first, there had been casual flings, but later, he had genuinely tried to date someone. It had not panned out the way he wanted, though. None of his relationships had lasted long. With Tamanna, there had always been that what if. He'd carried it with him for close to a decade. He thought she had too, that she would be just as eager to give him, give them, a chance, to at least see where it could go. Her vehement refusal to be with him left a sour taste in his mouth.

"I can never like you again, Sid," Tamanna stated calmly, as if she was more than sure of the fact, which irked Sid even more. Was he that unlikeable?

"Why not?" He asked her. "Am I that bad?"

"I just can't, Sid," Tamanna sighed. "Please, let's just leave it at that!"

"I want to know, though," Sid insisted. "If you're turning me down, you have to give me a reason at least. I deserve that much, don't I?"

"And I gave you a reason already," Tamanna replied. "I don't have to explain myself further."

"That's not really an explanation, Tamanna. What do you mean by you can never like me? Why can't you?" Sid pressed.

"I just can't," Tamanna said, still not elaborating. She didn't want to confess to the things Riddhima Di had told her in confidence. She didn't want to break that trust they'd built. As a survivor, she understood just how difficult it would've been for her to open up. Riddhima Di had placed a lot of faith in her by telling Tamanna her story. 

"Tamanna…" Sid started to say something, but was cut off by Tamanna. "No, Sid. I don't owe you explanations. I told you I don't want to be with you. That's it. There's nothing more to say," she told him.

"There is," Sid countered. "You have to tell me why!" He exclaimed.

"You lied to me," she finally settled on. She might not want to reveal anything else, but she could tell him she knew he'd been married before and never told her. She had hoped for a quick conversation, but should've known that Sid would never leave well enough alone. While she didn't like him badgering her for an explanation, she could see that it was important to him to have a reason for the rejection, and maybe giving one would provide him the closure he needed as well. Tamanna might not like Sid, especially now after finding out just how bad it could get with him, but she wasn't cruel. She would never be cruel. Sid wanted closure. She would give him that. She would give him her truth, but not all of it. Never, all of it. He didn't deserve that.

"I have never lied to you. Ever," Sid said, indignant at the accusation. Tamanna sighed. This wouldn't be as easy as she hoped. But maybe, it would be worth it. 

"Were you or were you not married to Riddhima Di in the past?" She questioned him, almost daring him to refuse. 

"So what?" Sid fired back. "You were married too!"

"Yes, but I never hid that from you, Sid," Tamanna told him. "But you never told me about your marriage. If Riddhima Di hadn't told me, would you ever have?"

Sid scoffed. "Of course Riddhima told you."

"Don't make that face!" Tamanna exclaimed. "You should've told me, Sid. It's what I deserved."

"I was going to tell you," Sid replied. "In time. When I was comfortable."

"Don't you think you should've told me before?" Tamanna asked.

"Why? Why is it so important? Would me being married change how you look at me?" Sid questioned.

"It would," Tamanna replied, explaining it to him as if he were a child. Frankly, Tamanna was surprised he didn't think it was important to reveal something like this. She got that he might have not shared any passing fancies with her. But that wasn't even important. Sid had been married before. And Tamanna hadn't known that about the man who had told her he loved her. "Depending on why you separated, it would make a huge difference. People realize they're not compatible all the time. They separate. That's life. But, there are reasons other than that too. And I need to know why you two aren't together anymore."

"What are you insinuating?" Sid whispered into the eerie silence that had suddenly surrounded them. She couldn't be saying what he thought she was, right? She couldn't be standing here and saying such things about him. Couldn't be thinking that he could be that kind of person. 

"You know exactly what," Tamanna stood her ground, saying so much without ever saying the words. It didn't take a genius to figure out what she meant. And she could see it, in Sid's eyes, that he knew just what she was saying, what she was accusing him of. Of being a bad husband, of being an abuser. She hadn't been able to break free of the abuse heaped on her in the past, not easily. But, she would be damned if she let something like that happen again. She would not be intimidated by Sid. She would not be intimidated by anyone, ever again. 

Sid turned around and stalked out of the clearing, not replying to Tamanna's questions. Tamanna sighed in relief at being left alone, before realizing that maybe she had said too much without ever saying the words and rushed behind him.

— — —

The moment Armaan saw Sid approach Tamanna, he was instantly alert. Knowing what he did about Sid now, he was extremely uncomfortable to let any woman in the man's presence, let alone his sister. As much as he wanted to, he did not intervene, not just then. He knew that Tamanna wouldn't like it. She would want to handle it on her own. He understood why she did. And he respected her choice. So, he would content himself with watching from a distance, making sure that she was okay. But then… Then, the two of them started walking away, out of Armaan's line of vision and his feet started to walk, almost involuntarily, when he was stopped by Riddhima. 

"No," she told him, holding his arm in a vice grip. 

"But…" He tried to argue. Riddhima was not having it. She cut him off. "I know you're worried. But, this is something she needs to do on her own. You know that, don't you?"

"I do," Armaan sighed. "But why do they have to go and talk separately?"

"Let them have their privacy," Riddhima advised.

"What if something bad happens?" Armaan questioned. 

Riddhima sighed. "I think Sid is smart enough to not create a scene," she said. "Not when all of us are around. And still, in case he does, I'm sure Tamanna knows to call for you. She will do that if she thinks she needs it, won't she?"

Armaan nodded. He knew Tamanna would ask for help if she needed it. "Then trust her," Riddhima said. "Let her do this on her own."

"Fine," Armaan acquiesced. "But that doesn't mean I like it."

"I know," Riddhima smiled gently.

"How about we go eavesdrop?" Armaan suggested a moment later. "It is, after all, tradition."

Riddhima laughed. "No way," she said. "You did not just try to use 'tradition' to get your way."

"I did," Armaan replied, chuckling along with her. "Come on! We can do that, can't we?"

"That is a gross invasion of privacy," Riddhima reminded him.

"That has never stopped us before," Armaan pointed out. 

"Armaan, har cheez ka time hota hai. Iss baar nahi," Riddhima stated.

"Oh? Har cheez ka? Aisa tab toh nahi socha jab Rahul aur Muskaan ki saare baatein sunn rahe the mere room mein chupke!" Armaan lectured. "Yaa jab cabin ke bahaar khade rehke Dr. Keerti aur Dr. Shubhankar ki baatein sunn rahe the!"

"Armaaaaaan!" Riddhima whacked his shoulder. "Shut up!"

"I will not!" Armaan exclaimed. "Come on, Basket! Please! I need to be there for Tamanna! I need to protect her. Agar phirse kuch ho gaya toh?" He shuddered. "Nahi. Kabhi nahi. Tamanna needs me!"

"Armaan," Riddhima sighed, rubbing her hands down his shoulders in an effort to calm him down. "I know, okay? Main samajh sakti hoon ki tum darre hue ho. But, Armaan… Tamanna is a big girl. Agar usse tumhaari help chahiye hoti, toh kya woh maangti nahi? Usse yeh khud karna hai. Let her make her own decisions. Iss tarah uski independence kyu cheen'na chaahte ho tum? Woh independence, woh confidence… Jo usse tumhaare support se mila hai. Ab phir aisa karna? Iska toh yehi matlab haina that you don't trust her?"

"Of course I trust her!" Armaan cried. "I'm just…"

"Worried," Riddhima completed. "I know. But just… Wait here. Tamanna ko tumhaari zaroorag hogi toh woh zaroor bulayegi. I know. We have to do this for her. Have faith in your sister, Armaan."

Armaan couldn't help but smile at that. Riddhima had called Tamanna his sister. It always warmed his heart when someone did that. But in this moment, with Riddhima, it meant even more, because she knew and understood just how true it was. Also, because there was a time, a mere fortnight ago, when Riddhima thought that Tamanna had been his girlfriend. 

"Why are you smiling like that?" She asked him. Armaan shrugged. "You're beautiful," he blurted out, just for something to say. Riddhima immediately blushed, ducking her head to hide the pink dusting her cheeks. Armaan rubbed the back of his neck in a nervous gesture. "Thank you," Riddhima whispered. Armaan shrugged again. "It's the truth," he mumbled. It felt so silly, to be so bashful over something like this. He had used much better words to describe her in the past. Gorgeous, stunning, even hot a time or two. And here the two of them were, behaving like bumbling fools over him calling her beautiful. Well, more him than her. Riddhima had always reacted that way to a compliment. But he had never been shy. Not ever with Riddhima. It was like he was peeling away parts of himself with Riddhima too, finding things about himself that he hadn't known before. He had been made anew after Riddhima had chosen her duty. Like a phoenix rising from its ashes, Raj Uncle liked to say. He'd thought he knew everything about this new person he had become. But apparently not. He hadn't known that just one genuine smile from Riddhima could still send his heart fluttering, that one look from her could set him ablaze, that feeling her touch could make him breathless. He hadn't known he still had room to love again, the way he had loved her. 

In the past few years, Armaan had dated a lot. Mostly at the behest of his sisters, but also at times of his own volition. But nobody had made him feel the way Riddhima still managed to. He'd spent so long thinking that he was over Riddhima, but now, standing here, in front of her, his heart in his mouth at the sight of her blush, he realized that he'd only been fooling himself. Maybe, he had never been over her, not even for a second. He'd just learnt to live without her. Mesmerized, he reached up, his fingers stroking Riddhima's cheek as if she was the finest silk, which she was, and much more. Riddhima leant into his touch, pressing her face into his palm and Armaan revelled in the feeling, amazed at how well they still fit together. 

He opened his mouth to say something, he wasn't really sure what, but never got the chance to do so, because at that exact moment, Sid reappeared, calling out Riddhima's name, Tamanna hot on his heels. Instantly, Armaan turned in Sid's direction, shielding Riddhima. When Sid got close, reaching for Riddhima, Armaan pushed him away with a firm hand on Sid's chest. "Stand back," Armaan ordered. 

"Stay out of this, Armaan," Sid spit out. "This is between Riddhima and I."

"As you can see, the only thing between Riddhima and you is me," Armaan replied. "And it will always be so."

"I don't have time for your games," Sid said. Stretching up to look at Riddhima, he added, "What did you say to Tamanna for her to decide that she doesn't want to be with me?"

At Sid's words, Riddhima stood tall. She should have anticipated something like this happening, should've known that Sid would very conveniently blame her for Tamanna's rejection instead of owning up to his own faults. In the past, when they'd still been married, the exact same expression that Sid was sporting now would have sent Riddhima in a tizzy, would have scared her to death, and would have made her cower to his demands like the good little wife he expected her to be. But, not now. Not anymore. She'd spent a long time suppressing her thoughts in front of Sid. First, because she was scared, and then later, because she'd felt it was her duty. After they'd separated, she'd only been too happy to let go of every memory associated with that time. When the two of them had somehow managed to become friends, it had seemed too late to talk about those things, to upset the balance they'd finally found in their lives for something that happened so long ago. But she wouldn't stay silent today. Resolved, she gently squeezed Armaan's shoulder. "It's okay, Armaan," she told him. Armaan deflated. He stepped to the side, but didn't step away, still ready to intervene at a moment's notice. 

"I told her the truth," Riddhima stated. "I told her what you should have already told her. I told her how I never wanted to marry you, how I was pressured into it, and how you treated me after we were married, simply because I didn't love you, even though you knew I loved someone else when you married me."

"I didn't treat you badly!" Sid defended himself. "We had our differences, but I was a good husband!"

"Yes," Armaan scoffed. "Because a good husband asks his wife to wipe his shoes in front of all their friends and colleagues. A good husband pushes his wife so hard that she hits her head. A good husband tries to get close to his wife even when she's uncomfortable. A good husband shuns his wife instead of getting her the professional help she needs when she gets suicidal."

"How do you know all this?" Sid questioned, directing his anger to Armaan. "Why do you know all this? What business is it yours… Whatever happened between the two of us doesn't concern you. She was my wife."

Armaan scoffed. "Wife. Yeah, right. Do you even know how to treat a woman well, much less your wife? Don't come at me with all this, 'it's none of your business what happens between a husband and a wife', when you'd been seeking my help to make your wife happy at every turn. If not for me you'd have never held even an ounce of her affection. You had her attention because I gave it to you. Because I made your relationship my business. So don't say it isn't, because it is.

And anyway, anything concerning Riddhima is always my business. I don't need permission from the likes of you to speak up when I see her being ill-treated. You're lucky I wasn't there when you actually did all this, because I can promise you that I had been around, you wouldn't be standing here to accuse Riddhima of whatever shitty things you're accusing her of. So, just be grateful, thank your lucky stars, and get lost!"

"Armaan!" Riddhima soothed, stepping into his personal space and rubbing his shoulders. "Shhhh. It's okay. That's in the past."

Armaan exhaled sharply. He reached out and gathered Riddhima in his arms. She went willingly, hugging him tight. "I'm here. You're here. We're okay," she murmured in his ear. "We're okay."

"We're okay," Armaan repeated. 

"Dada!" Tamanna exclaimed, finally finding her voice. She walked up to him and rubbed his back in a comforting gesture. Riddhima smiled at her and let Armaan go, Tamanna's arms replacing hers instantly. 

"I told her the truth," Riddhima repeated. "It's not my fault that the truth is bitter."

"She didn't change my mind," Tamanna added. "I was always going to say no, Sid. I don't like you like that. Riddhima Di just strengthened my resolve. And you know what? Even if I was going to say yes? After hearing what she said, I would have said no. Just so you understand that. I can never ever get involved with a person who has such a history. Never."

"But…" Sid sighed helpless. He knew he'd made mistakes in the past. A lot of them. But he thought that that was what they were. The past. He wasn't that person anymore. "I'm not that person anymore," he repeated out loud. 

"I've heard that before," Tamanna scoffed.

"I'm not Aniket!" Sid thundered. "I would never do that. I would never abuse someone."

"Oh, but Sid. You already did," Tamanna replied. "You just don't want to admit it. But you know, deep within yourself."

Sid tried to defend himself, but Armaan stepped forward, having calmed down, even if just a smidge. "You might think you've changed, but you've not," he stated. "If you had, you wouldn't have hidden my letters. You were abusing Nikki's trust by doing that. You were abusing the chance that Riddhima gave you to be a part of her life despite everything. And, you were abusing the friendship we shared. I thought of you like my younger brother," Armaan scoffed. "I feel disgusted with myself right now, for thinking that. For helping you. For thinking that you could ever love Riddhima the way I love her, that you could keep her happy. I'm disgusted that I ever thought you ever deserved someone like her. You don't even deserve to breathe the same air as her."

"A— Ar— Armaan," Sid fumbled.

"No, Sid," Armaan cut him off. "There's nothing more left to say. Tamanna has made it clear that she doesn't want to be with you. And Riddhima has done that years ago. Now, I'm telling you… You better stay away from them. You don't ever speak to Tamanna again, and if you dare to even look in Myra's direction, I will claw your eyeballs out. If it's not professional, don't even think about breathing in Riddhima's direction. Stay away from my family, Siddhant Modi. Otherwise, I don't think I need to spell out what I'll do to you. You know that very well after our previous encounters."

"I…" Sid sighed. "I didn't… It was… I didn't mean too," he finally managed to say and it sounded weak, even to his own ears. It was a poor defense and he knew it, but he had to say something, had to defend himself, had to tell Armaan that he was a good person. Armaan had been the one person who had stood by him, had always been there to help him, no questions asked. These past few years without him there to put out the fires he had inevitably started had been so difficult. Sid had been hoping that with Armaan back, maybe they could settle into their old patterns and Sid could rely on Armaan to get him out of a fix, especially when Abhi always refused to do so. But now… Armaan didn't seem inclined to do that. So, he had to try.

But his hopes shattered as Armaan scoffed at his words. "You didn't mean to? That's your defense for the whole thing? That it's okay because you didn't mean to? Intentions mean nothing when actions are so dirty, Sid. You keep telling yourself that to make yourself feel better but just because 'you didn't mean to' doesn't make it go away, and doesn't erase the horrible things you did. Especially when we both know it's false. You didn't mean to what? Humiliate your wife so publicly? You didn't mean to hit her? You didn't mean to get in bed with her while she was sleeping to click those disgusting photographs? And yet you did all that. 

You know why? Because you absolutely meant to. You wanted to do it. You wanted to hurt Riddhima, because you thought she hurt you. You know what bothered you the most? That Riddhima preferred death over marrying you. Your fragile ego couldn't handle that she wanted to get away from you so desperately, so you did everything to make her life hell. And when Riddhima took it all, out of a sense of duty, and nothing else, you deluded yourself into thinking she had feelings for you because why else would she put up with such nasty and atrocious behaviour?

And then, because you thought she had feelings for you, just because she was ready to lie to your mother about your relationship, you started developing feelings for her. You want to know why? It's because you thought that Riddhima could love you the way she loves me. You thought that she'd love you enough to fight the world for you, that she'd take a bullet for you. You fell in love with the love she had for me. Which was always going to end in heartbreak. You know why? Kyuki Armaan aur Riddhima sirf ek hi hai. Jis tarah Riddhima par Armaan ka haq hai, jis tarah Riddhima Armaan se pyaar karti hai… Woh kisi aur ke liye nahi hai. Woh sirf Armaan aur Riddhima ke beech ki baat hai. 

Tum toh kabhi Riddhima ko respect bhi nahi de paaye, pyaar toh bohot door ki baat hai, Siddhant Modi. So don't you come here with your I didn't mean it bullcrap because we all know that you absolutely meant every single, repulsive thing that you did to Riddhima in the name of revenge. When she needed you to understand her struggles and support her, be a good husband to her, you couldn't even be a decent human being in her presence. She was suicidal and instead of getting her the help she needed, you instead made her life worse with everything you did. That's not something that happens on accident.

You know what? You're really freaking lucky that Riddhima is as resilient as she is and that she put up with your abhorrent behaviour and still found the will to live all on her own without any help from anybody. I'm so proud of her for that, but it makes me loathe you even more. Mujhe laga tha ki tum Riddhima ke liye achche ho, Sid. Mujhe laga tum ek achche husband banoge, lekin tum toh insaan hi itne bure ho, kisi ke pyaar ke layak hona toh bohot door ki baat hai!

If you really want to change, Sid, the least you can do it is admit what you did. You made Riddhima's life hell and you abused her. That's the truth. If you can't accept that, you'll always be that person. Always."

Defeated, Sid surrendered. He couldn't exactly argue with anything Armaan had said. Fueled by indignation and a thirst for revenge, he'd single handedly destroyed the best thing that ever happened to him. He should've never behaved so perversely Riddhima. He should've helped her, should've supported her when she needed it. But, he hadn't. Instead, he'd made it even more difficult for her to adjust to her life without the man she loved, in a relationship that she was forced into. Sid was no child. He had known, right from the start, that Riddhima had only agreed to the wedding to appease her parents. She had never liked Sid like that. But, he'd felt like it was his responsibility to make up for all the things that he'd done that had landed Riddhima into that mess in the first place, so he'd said yes. Even then, he hadn't thought that what he wanted wasn't what Riddhima wanted too. In fact, he'd felt so proud of himself for playing the hero and saving the day, had felt superior for having made this sacrifice for Riddhima's sake, when it was the last thing she'd wanted. To have her scorn that sacrifice by taking those pills, to see her dying, knowing that it meant nothing to her that he was throwing his life away for her, realizing that for her even death was a preferable alternative to being with him when he was doing it only for her, had made him do things he'd never dreamt he'd do. Before he'd found Riddhima dying, Sid hadn't even known he was capable of doing such things. 

"Fine," he replied shortly, still not admitting out loud, that he'd been wrong. "Whatever. Like I give a damn."

He turned to walk away from the trio, wanting to lick his wounds in privacy, but turned around when Armaan called out to him. "Listen to me! Siddhant Modi!"

The moment Sid turned, his face was greeted with Armaan's fist, and a resounding crack filled the air, a tell-tale sign that Sid had broken his nose. "ARMAAN!" Riddhima cried, rushing forward. "You promised!"

Armaan raised his hands in surrended. "I'm done," he vowed. "No more. But I couldn't let him get away just like that. He deserves so much worse, but I'll settle for one hard punch that'll hurt for a while."

Sid looked at him in disbelief. He raised his hand too, not ready to accept the insult quietly, but stopped when Tamanna placed herself between him and Armaan. "Don't," she said. "You might not admit it to us, but at least admit to yourself that you were wrong and that you deserved this. You're lucky you're still alive. And I think you know that it's best for you to not provoke Dada into actually hitting you the way he wants to. So, why don't you take a step back and we can all move on from this, consider this chapter closed?"

Sid scoffed at the lot of them and stalked away, not deeming them worth a reply. Armaan opened his arms and both his girls crowded him, hugging him tight. "Thank you," he told them. "For holding me up today."

"No, Armaan," Riddhima replied, dropping a hard kiss to his cheek. "Thank you for standing up for me and fighting for me."

"Thank you for supporting me," Tamanna said. "And, for not hitting Sid too much," she added as an afterthought. "Not that I'd have minded, but you know that violence puts me off."

"I'm so proud of you for taking a stand for yourself and saying no," Riddhima told Tamanna, dropping a kiss to her forehead as well.

"I couldn't have done it without the two of you," Tamanna answered. "Thank you for all that you've done for me. Especially you, Riddhima Di. Thank you so much. I'm so proud of you, too. Thank you for taking a stand in front of Sid like that. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you."

"I had the two of you to give me all the courage I needed," Riddhima assured Tamanna.

"And you always will," Armaan vowed, clutching them both tight in his embrace. "You always will," he repeated. He would make sure of that, that none of his girls ever felt that sort of fear again, from anyone. He'd be their shield and their armour. No one would ever be able to hurt a single hair on their head. Not if he could help it. 

Edited by DMGThings - 6 months ago
DMGThings thumbnail

Woh kehte hain ishq hadd mein karo

Jo ishq kya hai na jaanein

Yeh dil to anpadh dehaati sa hai

Kya kuchh lika hai kya jaane

Baahar se dekha jinhone

Andar chale kya kya jaanein

Hum jal jaayein raakh bachegi

Ishq mein ik na aag bachegi

Phir bhi inn seeli aankhon mein

Aakhiri lau tak aas bachegi

Powered By

PlayUnmute

Loaded: 1.01%

Fullscreen

Jal jaayein raakh bachegi

Chup to na hogi mohabbat

Dushwariyon se dara ke

Ummeed iska lahu hai

Hain dard iski khuraakein

Jitne zakham aur judenge

Utna badhengi yeh shaakhein

Woh kaat daalein humeinchahe roz

Zidd jad mein hai kya karenge

Ek pyar ek jung dono ke dosh

EK ghar mein hain kya karenge

Ek dil hi khud mein bohat hai

Kis kis ki parwah karenge

Hum jal jaayein raakh bachegi

Jal jaayein raakh bachegi

- Raakh, Arijit Singh

Edited by DMGThings - 6 months ago
DMGThings thumbnail

Track Sixty Eight - Janam Janam, Arijit Singh & Antara Mitra

"Does it hurt?" Riddhima asked, gesturing to Armaan's bruised knuckles from when he'd punched Sid. Armaan shrugged, laughing. "I've had worse," he assured her.

"Armaan," Riddhima warned. "Kitni baar kaha hai tumse… You need to take care of yourself. Now, wait here while I get the first aid kit."

Knowing better than to argue, Armaan acquiesced. It had been a few hours since their confrontation with Sid. Thankfully, it had ended with nobody else apart from the four of them knowing about what had happened. Sid had explained his bruised nose with some excuse that Armaan didn’t care about, and while he was sure that it must have been flimsy, no one had asked him anything, so he didn’t think twice about it. Apart from Atul, that is, who had looked oddly happy about the whole ordeal, if the looks he’d been passing were any indication. Armaan rejoiced in those. Atul always had been his staunchest supporter. But, now wasn’t the time to think about Atul, not when he had Riddhima, especially a worried Riddhima. She was a force to be reckoned with. Always had been. It was one of the first things that had attracted him to her - how she would always speak her mind, how she would always storm in, ready to go, and always there for the people she cared about.

As he looked around, waiting for Riddhima, thinking about those early days of falling in love with her, he realized that night was starting to fall, stars covering the sky above, visible clearly away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolitan of Mumbai. It was one of the many reasons that Armaan loved coming to Lonavala. Every time he did, he made a point to spend as much time in the fresh air as possible, but more importantly at night. Riddhima joined him more often than not, and the two of them had started their own silly, little tradition for these cozy nights away from the prying eyes of the world. As a rule, the kids would go to sleep early, and Bua and the other caretakers, tired after a long day of herding kids, tended to do the same. So, it would only be Armaan, Riddhima, and their togetherness under the starlit sky to keep them company.

Armaan smiled to himself as he remembered all the time he'd spent with Riddhima in this place. The silly fights, the games, and even the heartache. It didn't hurt much anymore when he remembered now, the way she hadn't been able to see the two of them together even as a reflection in the water. Maybe because he could see her walking towards him with a smile that could light up the sky.

"Here we go," she said, taking a seat beside him and removing some antiseptic and cotton from the box. Once she'd dropped a generous amount of it on the cotton, Riddhima gently took Armaaan's hand in her own. She felt his sharp intake of breath at the contact and smiled to herself. Very carefully, she cleaned the wound on his knuckles.

When Armaan hissed at the contact, she immediately pulled back. "Sorry!" She mumbled. Very slowly, she blew on the bruises to soothe the pain, making Armaan shudder. "Basket," he groaned, when he felt a feather light kiss on his knuckles. He felt her smile against his skin. It was the most intimate contact they'd shared in years, and her proximity was enough to make him shiver. His stomach coiled in anticipation, his back arched tight, Armaan sat there, almost still as a statue, completely at Riddhima's mercy. Every passing second felt like the most delicious torture that he never wanted to end.

Taking advantage of the seeming blanket permission that Armaan had granted her, Riddhima used the opportunity to acquaint herself with Armaan's fingers once more. She blew on his skin after every dab of cotton, placing kisses along his fingers as she did so. Every time that her lips touched his skin, she could feel him go even more taut, as if that was possible, given how tense he already was. But, he never once made a move to stop her, and when she looked up at him in askance, found her needs mirrored in his eyes. So, she continued, till she was thoroughly sure that every little crevice of his knuckles had gotten the attention they deserved, her hot breath fanning his skin. Once she was done, she moved back, just a breath away, pulling Armaan's arm with her. His hand immediately cupped her face, as if on instinct, and Riddhima grinned, leaning into the touch.

"Thank you," Armaan whispered softly, once his breathing had returned to normal. Riddhima just smiled in response, unable to articulate what exactly she wanted to say. But, needing to feel closer, she pushed herself into an embrace that Armaan whole-heartedly welcomed. The two of them sat there, completely entwined in each other's arms. For a moment, neither of them said anything, before Riddhima broke the silence. “Can I say something that will make me sound like a bad person?”

“Sure,” Armaan agreed. “Though, you’ve never been a bad person for a single second in your life.”

“You’re biased,” Riddhima replied. “I’ve done so many bad things.”

“Doing bad things doesn’t make you a bad person,” Armaan countered. “Good people do bad things. That doesn’t make them a bad person. It just means that the circumstances were such that they had to make a choice.”

“How do you always have an answer for everything?” She asked, pulling back to look him in the eye as she asked that. Armaan laughed a brilliant laugh that made every nerve in her body come alive. “I’m just good like that,” he told her with a smug grin, making Riddhima laugh as well.

“But, we digress,” he reminded her. “What is it that you wanted to say?”

“Right,” she murmured. “That.”

Riddhima didn’t say anything for a few minutes and Armaan waited patiently, always ready to give her what he needed. And right now, she needed to collect her thoughts before she said something she wouldn’t admit in front of anyone else. She had always been like that. Rarely, if ever, did Riddhima speak about her feelings with anyone. She would always be there to fight you in logic, but never when matters of the heart were concerned. She always kept herself second, always trying her best to not be an inconvenience, which is why she didn’t speak up for herself when she should have. So, any moment she chose to be candid with Armaan was even more precious to him. Riddhima opening up to him and talking about her feelings was his biggest achievement.

“I…” She finally began, a little hesitantly. “I liked… Today… when you stood up for me… in front of Sid. I loved that.”

“I’m glad. I just wish I could have done it sooner,” Armaan smiled. “But, how does that make you a bad person?”

“Because I liked it even more when you hit him,” she finally admitted sheepishly. That made Armaan guffaw out loud. “That does make you a bad person,” he agreed. Riddhima whacked his back. “Armaaaaan!” She whined.

“Okay, seriously,” Armaan said after he’d sobered up. “I’m actually surprised that it did. But, that’s human. He hurt you, so it made you feel good when he was hurt. That’s just human nature. Doesn’t mean you’re a bad person.”

“Really?” Riddhima asked him, her voice full of wonder.

“Really, really,” Armaan assured her, dropping a kiss to the top of her head for good measure.

“If you say so,” she mumbled, not entirely believing him.

“I do,” Armaan decided. “So, it is.” He rubbed his cheek on the top of her head in a gesture of comfort. When Riddhima didn’t argue, he asked, “Why did you like it this time, though? I’ve hit Sid in the past too.”

“Because back then, it was for the wrong reasons,” Riddhima replied after thinking about it for a moment. “You hit Sid because you thought he stole me from you.”

“I did think that,” Armaan acquiesced. “Which was wrong. I had no right to behave that way, did I? I left you alone in that hut when you came looking for me and then told you to move on. Then, I behaved like some grave injustice had been heaped on me when you did exactly as I asked.”

“I never moved on,” Riddhima protested.

“I didn’t know that back then, though,” Armaan pointed out. “And, that’s not even what I meant. What I meant was, even if you’d actually moved on and had been happy with Sid, I still would have no right to be mad at you for that.”

“Okay, Dr. Therapy-Has-Made-Me-The-Most-Well-Adjusted-Person-On-The-Planet,” Riddhima rolled her eyes. “You don’t always have to be so understanding about everything. Especially with me. I want you to be mad at me for stuff, okay? I want you to feel that you have that right in this relationship where you’re not afraid of throwing a tantrum and being a diva because you know I’ll never leave you no matter what.”

“No matter what?” Armaan echoed.

“No matter what,” Riddhima stated. “I love you, Armaan. That’s forever. Without condition.”

“I don’t like that,” Armaan told her. “Unconditional love. Such bullshit,” he scoffed.

“Now what problem do you have with someone loving you without condition?” Riddhima asked him.

“Because I can never love someone that way. It’s unhealthy,” Armaan said. “I don’t want anyone to love anyone that way, least of all you. And not when it’s me.”

“What do you mean?” Riddhima questioned. “Unhealthy? How?”

“Well, what if the relationship becomes toxic? What if you’re in a relationship with someone who is abusing you? What if they’re taking advantage of you? Would you still love them?” Armaan wondered out loud, already knowing the answer.

“Of course not!” Riddhima exclaimed. “How can I love someone who hurts me?”

“Exactly,” Armaan agreed. “So, your love isn’t unconditional. It’s conditional. Like love should be. You shouldn’t be catering to someone who hurts you, who doesn’t treat you with the utmost respect that you deserve, who can’t support you through all your decisions. You deserve the best things in the world, Riddhima. You deserve someone who would love you so much that his world will start and end at you, someone who will do everything to make you happy, who will never intentionally hurt you. You deserve someone who will choose you every single day, who will put in the work to be deserving of you, who will never turn away from hardships. Someone who will challenge you and bring out the best in you, who will make you feel alive and in love and so, so, so deliriously happy that you wouldn’t want that feeling to stop for even a second. That’s what you deserve. Never settle for anything else. Even if it’s not me. Okay?”

“Okay,” Riddhima agreed, awed. She was swept away in the world Armaan had imagined for her. So beautiful and full of happiness, like being wrapped in a warm hug forever. When she looked up, those arms were Armaan’s. Always. He already made her feel all that and more.

“You’re so much more mature now,” she told him out loud. “So different from that guy who was getting into some new trouble every time I looked the other way.”

“Do you miss that?” He laughed.

“Sometimes,” she admitted. “Surprisingly! I never thought I’d say this, but I do miss that. You always getting up to mischief, me getting mad at you, and then you trying to appease me.”

“I always knew you liked that,” Armaan gasped. “I knew it!”

“Knew what?” Riddhima asked.

“Jis tarah mujhe tumhe manana pasand hai, tumhe mujhse roothna… mostly kyuki tumhe meri stupid harkatein achchi lagti hai… jab main tumhe manata hoon,” Armaan clarified.

“But tumhe toh yeh already pata tha na?” Riddhima asked.

“Kya pata tha?” Armaan wondered, confused.

“Yehi ki main tumse sirf isliye pyaar karti hoon, kyuki tum stupid ho,” she told him, reminding him of that one night so many moons ago, when he’d showed her his room full of her photographs.

“You’re right,” he smiled. “I did.”

“We were so stupid back then,” Riddhima mused.

“Speak for yourself,” Armaan rebuked. “I’m still stupid.”

“That’s why I still love you!” Riddhima told him, reaching up to place a smacking kiss on his cheek. Armaan grinned, suddenly shy at the display of affection, which was ridiculous given how they were sitting practically glued to each other.

“So red, Meena Kumari!” Riddhima teased, caressing the blush on his cheeks. “I feel like the roles are reversed now. You’re the crying mess who keeps blushing at the slightest movement while I’m the one teasing you for it.”

“So it appears to be,” Armaan agreed, his voice gravely and low, sending a shiver down Riddhima’s spine.

“I’m so glad you’re here, Armaan,” she told him, hugging herself to him, nuzzling her face in his chest.

“I’m glad I’m here too,” Armaan told her, meaning every word of it. He didn’t know what the future held for him, for them. He didn’t know if he was setting both of them up for more heartache, or if this would finally be the time when they both got the happily ever after they’d been craving for since the day they met. He didn’t know if he’d spend the rest of his life with Riddhima or not. But, what he did know was that he would never regret this decision. He was so glad that he’d listened to Sonakshi and given Riddhima another chance. That he’d given himself another chance. To be happy the way he deserved, in love with someone so wholly and completely, he didn’t know how to ever stop. The kind of love they wrote songs and hymns about. The kind of love he’d once felt for Riddhima, a lifetime ago. The kind he’d never been able to feel for anyone else, not even close. He hoped he’d have that again, because it was truly one of the most beautiful things he’d ever experienced in his life. His love for Riddhima had made him soar so high, made him feel like he was on cloud nine, in seventh heaven. Nothing else he’d felt had ever come close. Now that he had a chance to feel that again, he hoped against all hope that he would. He wanted to soar so high this time that it would leave his previous flight in love in the dust. He only hoped that he would be able to do so.

DMGThings thumbnail

Janam janam janam sath chalna yunhi

Qasam tumhe qasam aake milna yahin

Ek jaan hai bhale do badan hon juda

Meri hoke humesha hi rehna

Kabhi na kehna alvida

Meri subha ho tumhi

Aur tumhi shaam ho

Tum dard ho tum hi aaram ho

Meri duaaon se aati hai bas yeh sadaa

Kabhi na kehna alvida

Kabhi na kehna alvida..

Teri baahon mein hain mere dono jahan

Tu rahe jidhar meri jannat wahin

Jal rahi agan hai jo yeh do tarfa

Na bujhe kabhi meri mannat yahi

Tu meri aarzoo main teri aashiqui

Tu meri shayari main teri mausiqui

Talab Talab Talab bas teri hai mujhe

Nason mein tu nasha banke ghulna yunhi

Meri mohabbat ka karna tu haq ye ada

Kabhi na kehna alvida

Meri subha ho tumhi

Aur tumhi shaam ho

Tum dard ho tum hi aaram ho

Meri duaaon se aati hai bas yeh sadaa

Kabhi na kehna alvida

- Janam Janam, Arijit Singh & Antara Mitra

DMGThings thumbnail

Track Sixty Nine - Ladki Badi Anjani Hai, Kumar Sanu & Alka Yagnik

The morning brought with it a new start. Both Armaan & Riddhima felt like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders after the confrontation with Sid the day before. They had moved one step closer to find the closure to that part of their lives, and it showed. If they both smiled a little brighter the next morning, no one else commented on it, only thinking that the time they were spending together was the reason for such harmony. However, the new dawn also brought questions in the form of the arrival of Riddhima and Abhi’s families. The Guptas had always been extremely involved with the Lonavala Orphanage. Shashank respected Bua like an elder sister, and had always treated her as such. In the past few years since Abhi had taken over Sanjeevani’s financial aspects, even the Modis had increasingly become involved in hospital affairs, spilling over to having a say in the orphanage as well. They had all arrived to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the place that had become home to some of the brightest kids they all knew.

It did not escape Shashank’s attention that Armaan & Riddhima sat beside each other, almost pressed together. Neither did he miss the smirks that his other daughter was throwing her friends’ way. Armaan & Riddhima seemed oblivious to it though, whispering a mile a minute to each other, seemingly in the middle of an intense discussion. Despite himself, Shashank smiled. He hadn't seen his daughter so lively in years. It was true that maybe he'd never think Armaan was good enough for his daughter. But then, he didn't think anyone was good enough. He'd accepted Sid whole-heartedly, but that had nothing to do with Riddhima's happiness and everything to do with his reputation. Sid had swooped in and saved Shashank and his entire family from becoming the laughing stock in front of the entire world. Shashank supposed that he always felt indebted to Sid for agreeing to the wedding. That was why he always pushed Riddhima towards Sid and even roped in Armaan to help him out with it. An annulment was a poor way to repay Sid for all that he'd done for the Guptas, for him, which is why Shashank was against it too. But now, watching his daughter laugh so happily with the man she'd always been in love with, it was difficult to remember just why he'd always been so intent on having Sid as a son-in-law.

Somewhere down the line, Shashank had started thinking of Armaan as his own. Maybe the problem child of the family, but his family nonetheless. Yes, there were a million things about Armaan that Shashank didn't like right from his tattoos to the way he dressed to his attitude towards everything in life. But, the fact that he was the only one in whose company Riddhima found peace negated all that. Shashank had made many mistakes when it came to Riddhima. He'd always chosen incorrectly for her, had always made her suffer from the weight of his unilateral decisions. The biggest issue with Armaan that Shashank had always had was that Armaan made Riddhima cry. But then, if he was being honest, he probably made her cry more than Armaan ever did. So really, what leg did he have to stand on, to oppose their relationship?

He'd already been the reason for his daughter's sadness for almost a decade now. He wouldn't be any longer. He wouldn't stand in the way of her happiness. If Armaan was who she wanted, he'd bless them and wish them a happy life. It was another matter altogether that maybe now Riddhima would never seek his approval. He'd lost all rights to do that when he'd opposed her decision about the annulment. In hindsight, Shashank could see that Sid & Riddhima were doomed from the start. His daughter had always loved Armaan a little too much. He should've known that she would never be able to be with someone else. He didn't know if Armaan deserved that kind of faithfulness from her, but he had it nonetheless, and there was little Shashank could do about it. So, instead of disregarding her choices, as it would only result in the distance between him and Riddhima increasing, Shashank would do his best to show her that he approved of the match. For Riddhima, Shashank could do at least this.

He had already failed all his children - Anjali, Riddhima, and Karan - in the past. He continued to do so every single day that he kept Karan hidden from the rest of his family, every single day that Atul still felt like an outsider in their family, and every single day that Riddhima refused to come home. He would not add to his list of sins by keeping Riddhima's happiness at bay. Even if he never liked Armaan for her, Riddhima loved him. And that was what mattered most.

"Punya, kitchen mein se aur plates le aa," Bua instructed, bringing Shashank out of his thoughts. She'd walked into the dining area only moments prior, leaving the children to other caretakers. She was getting too old to mind them the way she once did. They were an unruly bunch and on some days, they got the best of her.

"Yeh saare bachche!" She complained, taking a seat beside Shashank.

"Kyu, kya hua?" Padma enquired.

"Hua kuch nahi," Bua explained. "Bas, itne shaitaan hain. Inse nipatna ab meri bas ki baat nahi rahi! Dekho ab, kabse keh rahi hoon ki munh-haath dhoke naashta karlo, lekin meri toh koi sunnta hi nahi!"

At her words, Armaan & Riddhima abandoned whatever discussion they were having and immediately stood up, surprising everyone else. "Armaan? Ridz? All okay?" Atul asked them, but received no response. Armaan had eyes only for Riddhima, and her, for him. He raised one perfect eyebrow at her in question and in response, Riddhima scampered off. It took less than a second for Armaan to go charging after her.

"I'm gonna getcha, Gupta!!" He called out, and then stopped, marvelling at the fact that he could call her that now. Ab main Riddhima Gupta se Riddhima Modi bann chuki hoon, she'd said to him, on the worst day of his life. And now, here they were. She was Riddhima Gupta again. She was his Basket again. A delirious laugh escaped his lips at the thought.

Riddhima looked back at him, awed at the sight. His laughter was the sunshine of her life. She wanted to bottle it up to keep it close to her forever. Almost as if sensing her gaze, Armaan looked up at her, bestowing the most ethereal smile on her. She grinned back. However, not one to be left behind, she called out, "In your dreams, Mallik!" Before she turned and took off in the opposite direction, Armaan hot on her heels.

"Hey bhagwaan!" Bua cried. "Yeh dono kabhi nahi sudhrenge. Sab bachchon se zyada shaitaan hai yeh dono."

Standing up from her extremely comfortable chair, she shouted, "Armaan! Riddhima! Waapas aao dono ke dono! Koi badmaashi nahi!"

But of course, she got no response, for Armaan & Riddhima hadn't heard her. They had reached their destination now. A haggard Rahman was trying to wrangle the kids to get them to wash their hands, but the kids were obviously in no mood to listen.

"Rahman Bhaiya… Rehne dijiye, main karti hoon," Riddhima told him, relieving him of the pipe and taking it in her own hands. "Thank you!" Rahman breathed in relief, quickly making his exit.

"Baskettttt!" Armaan called out, walking up to her. "Bachchon ke haath main dhulaunga!" Saying so, he tried to take the pipe from her, but she didn't budge. "Main dhulaungi!" She stated with authority.

"Basket, maine kaha na… Main dhulaunga!" Armaan exclaimed.

"Tum nahi. Main," Riddhima argued.

"Main," Armaan protested.

"Main," Riddhima declared.

"Main!!" Armaan exclaimed.

In the intensity of their argument, they both didn't pay any attention to the pipe that was still on, and inevitably, Riddhima's dress got wet when Armaan squeezed the pipe's nozzle a little too hard.

"ARMAAN!" She screamed, all arguments about who would help the kids forgotten. Not giving him a chance to explain himself, she turned the pipe in his direction, throwing water on him from head to toe. Of course, that prompted Armaan to wrestle the pipe out of her hands and throw water at her too. Soon, the two of them were involved in a very intense fight, which was broken by the kids, who took the opportunity to play in the water. And that's how Bua and the others found them.

"Hey, Bhagwaan!" Bua moaned. "Mujhe pata tha yeh dono aisa hi kuch karenge. Kabhi nahi sudhrenge dono ke dono."

Out loud, she shouted. "Armaan! Riddhima! Band karo yeh sab!! Kitni baar kaha hai tum dono se ki aise shaitaani mat kiya karo. Bachchon, chalo yahaan se!!"

With Rahman's help, Bua managed to take all the kids inside. "Pch! Armaan!" Rahul started. "What is all this?"

"What? This?" Armaan asked cheekily, throwing some water in Rahul's direction.

"Armaan! Don't!" Rahul warned, but it only spurred Armaan on. Riddhima, who seemed to be in agreement, helped Armaan and the two of them cornered Rahul, throwing water on him, and then on all of their friends. Then, it was the seven of them playing in the water like they were kids while the others looked on.

"It's been so long," Padma sighed wistfully. "But they have not changed one bit. Still the same troublemakers."

"And thank god for that," Nani agreed. "I'm so happy that they're still the same kids they were before. They've all been through so much, and yet, they've managed to retain their spirits. It's not easy to do that, not after all the hardships they've all seen. It's so easy to become jaded, but all of them have still managed to find some happiness. I'm so proud of them."

"Me too," Shashank agreed. He smiled when he saw Armaan lift Anjali to shield her from an oncoming attack.

"Nikitaaaa!" Sid's mom called to her. "Yeh kya bachchon jaise khel rahi ho? Idhar aao!"

"Jee, Chachi?" Nikki asked, breaking away from the group.

"Beta, zukaam ho jaayega. Aise itna mat bheego," she advised.

"Par baaki sab…" She gestured to her friends.

"Baaki sab se mera kya lena-dena? Tu mere ghar ki bachchi hai. Baaki koi aur thodi hai jo mujhe unki fikar ho," she explained.

Nikki nodded. She didn't like that Sid's mom still treated her friends like outsiders. No one else's family did that. To them, the seven of them had always been family too. But Sunaina Chachi didn't think so. She never had.

"Armaan! Muskaan! Riddhima! Stop it!! Bas ho gaya, yaar! Go get changed. Right now!" Abhi exclaimed, finally putting a stop to everything when the three of them tried to get him wet too.

Once everyone had changed and gotten something to eat, Armaan sat in the garden to finish the remaining check-ups. This time, he was joined by Riddhima as well. Between the two of them, they finished the work in barely any time at all. "Sanjeevani's Dream Team is back, baby!" Rahul cheered when they were done, making both Armaan & Riddhima laugh.

"We were good, weren't we?" Riddhima asked rhetorically.

"The best," Rahul assured her. "And I'm sorta surprised that the two of you are so in sync even now, but I shouldn't be. I mean, it is the two of you, after all!"

"What does that mean? It's the two of you," Armaan questioned.

"You know what I mean," Rahul replied.

"Nope, I don't," Armaan denied. "That's why I'm asking."

Rahul scoffed. "Munh mat khulwa mera. You're not so naive, Dr. Armaan Malik."

"Aren't I?" Armaan pressed.

"Armaan," Rahul warned.

"God forbid a guy go fishing for compliments with this crowd!" Armaan exclaimed, raising his hands in surrender.

"Pch, whatever," Rahul rolled his eyes. Turning to Riddhima, he said, "Come! I wanna show you something."

"What?" Riddhima asked.

"Chalo toh! You're gonna love it! I promise," Rahul told her. Riddhima acquiesced and followed him, Armaan on their tail.

Rahul looked at him in question. Armaan shrugged. "What? I'm curious!"

Rolling his eyes, Rahul led the two to the other end of the gardens where the rest of the gang was lounging, along with a few other doctors who had made it for the anniversary party.

Making Riddhima sit on one of the chairs, Rahul disappeared momentarily, coming back with a rolled paper. "Look what I found in the storeroom!" He exclaimed, handing it over to Riddhima. She unfurled the page with a gasp. It was her painting. The one Rahul had done on their first visit to the orphanage together. It had faded over the years, and the canvas was dusty and dirty, yet the painting looked beautiful as ever, a moment captured in time that brought back a thousand memories.

"Is this the painting you'd made?" Armaan murmured softly. "The first time?"

Rahul nodded. "Yes. But we forgot to take it with us and I guess… It's been here since then. I can't believe it's still here."

"It's so pretty," Armaan complimented. "You did a great job. Just got the nose wrong. Riddhima's nose is much more beautiful."

"Shut up, Armaan!" Riddhima exclaimed, blushing a deep red.

"I'm just saying," Armaan shrugged. "You're much prettier in real life."

"No, I'm not," Riddhima replied, ducking her head in embarrassment.

Armaan rolled his eyes. "Now you're the one fishing for compliments. But fine, I'll take the bait. Do you want me to explain to you in excruciating detail just how beautiful you are? I think I can whip up a few couplets for every feature from your eyes to your nose to your —"

Rahul cut him off. "I think you've forgotten I'm here, so I'll just remind you. Hi, Maani! Your best friend is still here and he's listening to you flirt very unabashedly with his other friend and it's really awkward for him!"

Armaan made a face. "So why don't you read the room and leave?"

"I should leave?!" Rahul cried. "Excuse me! I'm the one who brought Riddhima here to show her the painting. You were the one who followed us for no reason, so if anyone should leave, it should be you!"

"Why should I leave?" Armaan asked rhetorically. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"Armaan," Rahul sighed, scrunching his nose. "Why are you like this?"

"Why am I like this?" Armaan wondered. "Why are you like this? You're not even letting me flirt in peace!"

"OH MY GOD STOP TALKING ABOUT FLIRTING!" Riddhima shouted, extremely embarrassed by the two boys, which embarrassed her even more because now everyone's attention was on them.

"What's going on?" Muskaan asked eagerly, all but running to reach them quickly, Atul and Nikki hot on her heels, while Anjali followed a few paces away.

"No— Nothing," Riddhima stammered.

"I'm trying to flirt with Riddhima but Rahul is being a very vocal third wheel," Armaan said at the same time, making everyone laugh.

"Ooooooohhhhhh!" They chorussed.

"How were you trying to flirt?" Nikki asked, curious.

"Why should I tell you?" Armaan questioned in response.

"Come on, Armaan!" Anjali whined. "Don't be a spoilsport. Tell us!"

"Nope," Armaan replied. "Not telling."

"Rahul, why don't you tell us?" Muskaan changed tactics. "How was Hero trying to flirt?"

Wordlessly, Rahul showed them the painting. "Oh! This is gorgeous!" Atul exclaimed. "Armaan! I didn't know you were such a good painter!"

"I didn't paint that," Armaan laughed. "Rahul did. Way back when we were interning."

"How are you flirting with Ridz by showing her a painting that Rahul did?" Atul wondered out loud.

"By pointing out how she's —" Rahul started to say but was cut off when Riddhima clamped her hand down on his mouth.

"That's enough!" She exclaimed, red as a tomato. "Nobody needs so many details! Please leave me alone. Thanks!"

"And you," she added, turning to Armaan. "Stop embarrassing me so much!"

Saying so, she rushed out of the room leaving everyone else behind. She couldn't understand how they could all be so brazen when her heart could leap out of her chest at any moment due to Armaan's unabashedness. She loved that he was so receptive and open, that he was clearly in it for the long haul and wanted to be with her, but she would never be as comfortable with a public display like he was, even in front of their closest friends. Some things would always be for just the two of them.

"Hey," Armaan greeted softly, sitting beside her on the swing.

"Hey," she muttered, but didn't say anything after that.

"I'm sorry," Armaan finally told her. "Thoda zyada ho gaya na?"

"You know I get embarrassed easily," Riddhima complained. "Why would you do that?"

"Because it's fun," he laughed. "Also, you look even more beautiful when you blush."

"Armaaaaannnnn!" She warned. "No more."

"Peace," Armaan agreed, throwing in the peace sign for good measure. "You're really cute. I kinda like that we are having such a petty disagreement like we used to. And you're really cute."

"You said I'm cute twice," Riddhima pointed out.

"That's because you are so cute it deserves to be repeated," Armaan answered, way too quick for Riddhima's liking.

"Why do you like that we're having an argument? These silly fights always became so big," Riddhima remarked.

"Yeah, but it brings back memories of when we were together, so that's nice," Armaan replied. "It's always good to remember that, because it was a very happy time in my life, despite all the fights."

"It was?" Riddhima questioned.

"Of course! After Jaan left, being with you was the happiest I was till I found her again," Armaan told her. "Maybe even happier than a lot of times after I found her. I know that the last few years have been tough, and that we both have bad memories associated with the separation, but that doesn't mean that I don't cherish our time together, because I do. I always have. Even when we were apart."

"That makes me so happy," Riddhima blubbered, smiling through her tears.

"I thought I was supposed to be the Meena Kumari of this relationship," Armaan chuckled. He reached up to wipe her tears. Then, he said, "Riddhima, I had tears, re…" complete with the hand gestures, making her snort a laugh.

Armaan opened his arms and Riddhima didn't waste a single second before she scrambled into his embrace. "I'm really happy we came here, Basket," Armaan confessed in a soft whisper. "I missed this place so much. I missed us here so much."

"I missed us here too," Riddhima told him. "It was never the same without you."

"Well, you don't have to worry about that now," Armaan instructed. "I'm here. You're here. We're okay."

"I'm here. You're here. We're okay," Riddhima echoed. And so it was.

So here, we are! Finally. I know I haven't updated this one in like almost a year but I was focusing more on ILYLTF. Now that its over, I hope I find the time to write this one. 

I hope you liked these chapters and that the confrontation with Sid especially was satisfactory enough. I was absolutely not going to show Armaan hit Sid even though I think we all agree he deserved it for all the things he did to Riddhima, and the old Armaan would have definitely landed Sid in the ICU, but he is different now. I still couldn't resist that one punch though, so you're welcome :p

Also, happy AR Reunion Day! It has been 13 years! Wow. Where did the time go? I like to think that Armaan & Riddhima are celebrating the day somewhere in the mountains, surrounded by their family - their kids, their parents, and their closest friends. They're still madly in love with each other and they still squibble and argue like the kids they were when they met. But, they're finally happy together and that's all that matters, really. <3

Until next time, besties.

DMGThings thumbnail

Ladki badi anjaani hai

Sapna hai, sach hai, kahaani hai

Dekho ye pagali, bilkul na badali

Ye to wahi diwaani hai

Ladka bada anajaana hai
Sapna hai, sach hai, phasana hai
Haan-haan ye pagla, bilkul na badla
Ye to wahi diwaani hai

[Instrumental-break]

Paas rehke bhi thi doori

Jaane kaisi thi majaboori

Waqt wo bhi ajeeb tha

Jab tu mere qarib tha

Kho gayi tu ye kis jahaan mein
Mai yahaan hoon dekh to zara

Ladka bada anajaana hai

Sapna hai, sach hai, phasana hai

Dekho ye pagali, bilkul na badali
Ye to wahi diwaani hai

[Instrumental-break]

Hmm, bheed mein bhi thi tanhaai

Yaad har pal teri aayi

Roke koi mujhe zara

Bhar na aaye ye dil mera

Behake-b-hake mere kadam hain
Aise mein tu sambhaal to zara

Ohhhoh, Ohhhoh, Ohhhoooh, Ohhhoh

Ladki badi anjaani hai

Sapna hai, sach hai, kahaani hai

Haan-haan ye pagla, bilkul na badla
Ye to wahi diwaani hai

[Instrumental-break]

Tumne na jaane kya sapne dikhaaye

Jaage na sota hai

Kuch-kuch hota hai

Kuch-kuch hota hai

Kuch-kuch hota hai

Kuch-kuch hota hai

- Ladki Badi Anjani Hai, Kumar Sanu & Alka Yagnik

Batul22 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Omg...

So happy to see the update...

Starting from the confrontation of ammy ridzi sid n tammy.. Laga hi tha kuch aise hoga...

Glad sid got his nose brokensmiley37...

Have loved every AR moment...smiley27

"I'm here you are here. We are okay"

This is becoming their own quote now...

Just like okay and alwayssmiley27

Lonavala was like what I had imagined it would like. All kids happy seeing arman back.

I knew there will be a Water fight for sure...

Was thinking of basketball match toosmiley17...aage milega kya?

Anyways pls pls update soon

Edited by Batul22 - 6 months ago
tanvi_mitt thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Oh wow!! I am so happy to see the updates. 

I love love where this is going.

The emotions Armaan Riddhima are going through were deep and very nicely expressed with thy way they were written..

Can't wait to read more!!

Edited by tanvi_mitt - 3 months ago
coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

She always made sure the kids remembered Armaan. That was so sweet of her.

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8

Armaan is right back to his form with the kids. He is still the favorite.