EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 2 years ago
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

And the scruff! 

That Taron Egerton’s a lucky guy!

Poocho poocho

Aur mere S1 reviews bhi padho 

Ye PM pe puchta hun main thodi der mein...reviews tomorrow! 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

You see what I meant earlier...they built up Marina's character and her self-respect so much...only to show this? I cannot fathom it however bad her circumstances might be πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

Her and Pen both. I still don't think Pen was justified in doing what she did. And Marina is a side character and has exited for now, but Pen is central to the show. So for me to root for her from here on is gonna take major redemption.

I think I mentioned it earlier as well...from this point onwards, the story becomes either too contrived or too convenient in my opinion..they could talk about s*x bcz they were "friends" and now they cant even understand each other??

I think they deviated too much from the book, and then had to work in the key plot point so they twisted and turned it so much it began to look contrived. I do like some of the 'fillers' they added outside of the books, like Will and Alice and Lord G, Ben's storyline etc, but others- especially those that played around with who these characters are at their core and what JQ wrote them as - simply make me wanna hit the screen with something! 

I agree- I felt the confession was too abrupt, and again for the lack of better word- too convenient...This sometimes happens in shows based on novel bcz novel can fill pages explaining what a person is feeling and many times it comes across as rushed onscreen...I dunno if it was lack of acting from RJP, or the lack of source material or the lack of transforming it correctly into the show but it did seem to me like the confession came out of nowhere...Or maybe I am just too used to ITV dramas where misunderstandings get stretched for eternity before they are resolved πŸ˜†

I truly do not think they had much left over from the books. Yes, books can depict a lot through a character's thoughts and the show has to 'show' it in some way. Which is why, I wanted to see Simon talking about his feelings with someone - Lady D or Will or even Anthony, who's his friend. He could have told him his reservations about marrying Daphne. Instead, they built up on the drama and created unnecessary angst out of nothing. And where did this confession go later? Why did both D and S forget the affection, the attraction between them. D so easily dismissed S's concerns, and S did not feel the need to share why his past was casting such a shadow on their married life. I missed a heart-to-heart S and D convo. I wanted S to tell D exactly how he felt about his father. And for D to understand that and still heal him with her love.

I was seeing one of Phoebe's interviews and she mentioned how difficult it was for them to undress romantically when in real life, it happens in seconds and is not at all romantic...oh the things these actors have to do lol smiley36

Which brings me to the latest interview with Jonny and how the interviewer asked him about the tree- rutting scene he did with his pants down, and they even showed a close up still of it on camera. Why do they love embarrassing actors so much? It's bad enough they have to do these scenes with their family and friends watching. I feel second - hand embarrassment for them, truly. 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Oh wow nice smiley42so you are fan of this book smiley42ya of course this is pretty good too smiley16

Romance as a genre is usually scoffed at by the so-called intellectual viewers (mostly men πŸ˜†), so I'm glad this has been so successful and we can tell them to suck it up!

And no- not this book. It was probably among my least favourite ones. But yes, I’ve read the entire series twice now (except again for this book πŸ˜†)

Oh but I don't know I fell for them smiley39ya he is handsome indeed smiley9

I do understand that giddy feeling right after you've watched it (and him) and are still in the high of it. It's been over a year for me and since then I've seen so many interviews, video clips, fan VMs, gifsets of these two that I'm now so over them. πŸ˜†

Sure sure will read through the previous pages when I am free. Was reading your current wu. I guess it is similar to that of Harry Potter and Locke & Key where it is completely different from Books. 

It's not completely different, but yes, they've changed a lot of things- some of them not good. 

Oh. But here his character seems to irritating with his constant intervention in his brother's and sister's life. I understand him taking responsibilities but interfering once's life was not nice. May be I will get know him deep by next season. 

That's the theory- that they made him purposely like that so they can give him a redemption this season. But if that's the case then that's just lazy writing, imo.

Omg smiley6 I am also eager what they show regarding Daphne she is married, she is settled with her husband and is having a son. It might focus on Elois and Colin I guess. They announced it is renewed upto 4 seasons smiley24

I understand smiley18 hope they won't mess up and make us to hate it. 

Daphne and her son are going to be part of it for sure. Idk about Colin - perhaps he will be back from his travels. Pen is Lady W reveal came too soon, so idk what they'll do with her. Eloise sleuthing will also get old and boring - they have to give her something else this season.

S3 will be Ben's I suppose.

S4 can be Colin, El and Fran together since that's how it happens in the books.

Then S5 can be Hyacinth and S6 can be Gregory. But not sure if that's how it will happen.

I’m so stoked about S2. I can’t wait to see Jonny and Simone’s chemistry. I’m sure it will be sizzling! 

Let's see smiley9

Ha ha, you see chemistry is subjective. Some may not see it,  but I think they have it in buckets. That still of them dancing is just sooooooo 

Haan I saw. I am also waiting for the trailer maybe they will release ten days before the episode air. 

People were saying 1 month before (Since S1 trailer dropped one month before it premiered), but then we've already crossed that! 

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

S1 E6

- I find the title of the Episode odd - Swish! What does it mean?

- S and D arrive at Clyvedon for the most 'exhilarating time in a couple's life - the honeymoon'. The exterior looks impressive and was shot at Castle Howard in Yorkshire.

- S brushes off Mrs. Colson's prep cos he's eager to show D the bedroom ("You truly believe we are to have separate rooms?" he says. But then how does he know?  He must have planned for separate ones? He would have had no idea their stay at the inn would produce such -ahem - results πŸ˜†. Perhaps it is his bedroom then.

- "Does it matter?" he says to D's protests on what they will think, which is echoed by D in the library scene. πŸ˜† Nice development!

- There's a gathering in the park, and Vi admonishes El asking her to 'lower the hems of her skirts' and El dismisses it saying she has more important things to do - commissioned by Her Majesty herself.

And Colin makes an announcement that he's betrothed to Marina much to her delight (and the Featheringtons, except for Pen ofc) and to others' dismay (read Anthony, Vi and Pen notably). Everyone else looks pleased.

- Anthony again has the best intentions for wanting to look out for her 'rather green' younger brother but does he have to be such an ass about it? I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. All his well-intentioned actions keep going bust- no one appreciates it, big bro. You gotta take a chill pill!

and it breaks my heart to see A and C disagreeing and fighting like this. I know I keep bringing up the books- and it might seem irritating to people who haven't read them, but they have such a lovely dynamic in them. In fact, all the siblings do. They may annoy, and irritate and meddle in others' affairs but it's never quite this serious. 

- D refuses to cavort with S and wants to take Mrs. Colson's tour instead. πŸ˜† Why Daph? It's a nice light-hearted scene, and we've only had a few of those, so it's welcome. (Unlike the books which are laced with humor, okay okay I know I'm sounding like a disgruntled pelican now I'll stop)

- Mrs. Colson has definitely not warmed to Daph! She does not take kindly to the idea that Daph wants to redecorate. Daph looking wistfully at the nursery. 

yeah, I find the pacing of the episode has dropped significantly.

- S and D dinner table convo- the servants are scandalized and Mrs. C disapproves πŸ˜†

S does not want D to dress so formally and pulls off her gloves β˜ΊοΈ. These small interludes are actually sexier to me than the actual sex scenes. I also like RJP's acting here, he does well in these scenes too.

- And here's where D's naivete comes forth - "Does that hurt" she asks and S laughs. This might have been cue to educate your clueless wife, Simon. After all, you've educated her much more that her euphemism-loving mother has!

- Another Bridgerton family scene and this one starts with Ben trying to break up a Hyacinth- Greg skirmish. πŸ˜† I live for these, truly but this one was too short. Vi starts to talk to C about his engagement with Marina. 'You will have your hands full with Eloise," he says. Ahh, yes. I do hope her story plays out differently than in the books. They need to build up something grander for her. Her book felt like a cop-out, tbh. She's such a unique character.

- Marina wants Pen to continue being her friend but Pen is not interested. She being passive- aggressive here a bit. Also, Phillppa saying Colin and Marina will make the most beautiful babies, and Prudence saying, "he's not the father, you dunderhead!" Pen is angry, of course, and I found Nicola a little off in this scene. Not to mention her hairdos are ridiculous. Are they doing it on purpose so they can give her a 'makeover' in S4?

- Ok, this episode is boring. Mama F and Marina bump intp El and Vi at Madame D and Marina threatens Madame D. She thinks she's faking her French accent. Now this shows Marina is sharp and she's no helpless damsel. Something catches El's eye here, her expression is puzzled, thoughtful. Perhaps this is where she begins to suspect Madame D?

- D and S at the farm, and she does not wish the pigs to be slaughtered. They learn the rents have tripled and the steward has been inattentive. They also meet little Ada and her pregnant mom. Then they have a little convo where they each think the other was pained. 

- Marina comes down dressed and she does look pretty. Ahh that's what Swish means! So odd! πŸ˜† What is the point of it?

Pen thinks their plan will fail, because Lady B is shrewd. She looks perfectly smug in this scene.

- The Featheringtons are dining with the Bridgertons... some casual talk, Anthony thinks a long engagement will be prudent. And Pen attacks her food violently. Then Prudence sings terribly off-key. Yawn! This episode is a snooze-fest so far.

- Pen accosts Colin and tells him about Marina - that her heart belongs to another and Colin thinks she's very good, but he does not care about Marina. It's sweet and kind of heart-breaking. Nicola shows Pen's longing quite well but again, i do not see the chemistry between these two at all. Maybe that will change when we get to S4. Pen's gown is actually not a hideous yellow here, it's a soft pink and quite pretty. 

- Marina comes out and Colin apologizes for his 'odious' brother. I did not like this. Anthony did not say anything that odious, and in any case, he was just looking out for Colin. Ahh, and I get this feeling. I'm the eldest in my family and I did feel protective for a long time. I get where A is coming from, I truly do and it's not just because I like Anthony/ Jonny.

- Oh and Marina is playing Colin and she's playing him good. He's suggesting they elope- go to Gretna Green. Oh Colin! And ofc Marina loves the idea! 

- Ok, it's official. I hate Phoebe's bangs. they look totally incongruous with the rest of her Regency look.

She goes to Simon' study and he kind of dismisses her. You know, the more I think of it, the more I feel that Simon hasn't managed to convince me that he's in love with Daph. He even ends up not saying the actual words. It's such a let down. 

- Mrs. C catches Daph picking flowers? and is horrified. Why does Daph say, "Faith, she despises me"? to Rose. Was that a mistake?

- Daph and Rose go into the village and Daph learns from Ada's mom why the villagers are cold towards her. It was the pig fight. The winner was supposed to supply pork the whole year, and now no one would have a chance to do so. This was actually a good scene. It tells you the way you see things may not always be the right one - sometimes there are things that are hidden and not immediately obvious.

- Simon is setting up his study in the east wing. What is wrong with the study, Daph asks but he is dismissive. Again. πŸ˜‘. This attitude sucks, I'm not liking this one bit. 

- Daph talks to Mrs. C.. and she tells her a little of Simon's troubled childhood. And then says it's not always the woman's fault, sometimes it's the man. Daph is ofc puzzled. The womb cannot quicken without strong, healthy seed. My, my these 19th century euphemisms will be the death of me! πŸ˜†

- Pen fakes an illness to get out of going to a party with Mama F, and then snoops around and finds the letters in Marina's room. She realizes the last letter was faked and tells Marina, but M is still determined to marry Colin because George has still not written to her and she thinks he has abandoned her.

- Pen tries again to make Marina see reason and M realizes Pen must be in love with Colin. And Marina is ruthless, cold and selfish. She wanted to be Pen's friend as long as she could get some sympathy out of her, but now she just calls her love an unrequited fantasy and coldly dismisses Colin's regard for Pen as the same for El or Hyacinth. Wow! They character assassinated her in this scene. She could have been a strong woman trying to make her way in the world on her own, but no, they had to make her calculating and conniving and somehow this was a let down.

- S and D have another encounter in his study and this is when she seems to realize (after putting two and two together from Mrs. C's convo), that something weird is going on. Then she goes and asks Rose and now she finally knows. She looks accusingly at Simon as he goes on about the farms and his estate at dinner. She is feeling betrayed at this point. And I get it. But why did she not talk to him?

This is where S and D fail for me as a couple. No communication.

- The entire build-up for the next scene is kinda ominous - 'Keep your breath on me, till my body is free' plays in the BG. And yes, Simon looks smitten and completely clueless as to what will happen, he's just happy his wife is taking the lead. Oh Lord, I do not like D's expression at all when she reverses their positions. It just feels wrong on so many levels. πŸ€’ He panics, shouts out her name, he does not want this.... Yep, this is not empowering for Daphne at all. It does not feel like it. It's not okay. I found it difficult to watch this scene the first time and that hasn't changed. This is why I never read this book again. 

Did Simon's stutter come back when he asked D, "What did you do?" He looks confused still.

No Daph's arguments, her justification, her seeking revenge for being lied to do not convince at all. 

Yes, cannot and will not are different things and yes, Simon did choose for himself but it's still his choice, his agency. He has the right to choose. And it was terrible what D did. Period. I do not get Daph's righteous anger at all. Simon was honest with her. He told her he could not give her children, yet at that point saving her reputation was more important for her. Do you truly think she would have refused to marry him if he had told her it was a choice he was making and not because there was something physically wrong with him? 

You told me I was enough. Yes Simon. She also told you - It's you I cannot sacrifice. What happened to that Daph? Were they just words? Could you not have talked to him, asked him why he lied before you went ahead and took away his agency? Maybe what he did was wrong - not being entirely honest about his reasons, but I don't think what you did was right either.

With Pen and Marina I find they destroyed both characters to an extent with their storyline, and with S and D I felt the same- except in their case, I feel S is more to be pitied than censured. 

I don't feel like saying anything more, this storyline makes me sick πŸ€’. I knew what was coming and still that did not make it easier.

And Lady W has published Marina's secret. πŸ€’

This has got to be the worst episode. πŸ€’

At least Pen and El made up. That's something.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
MJHTMonayaSajan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Wowww soo much activity on this thread in the last couple of days!!! I will catch up soonish...Welcome Gayathri to the forum πŸ€—

I am with you on RJP and Simon-Daphne chemistry!! πŸ˜³They are β€οΈ Will surely miss RJP in the upcoming season but I am glad they didn't over-extend Simon-Daph story for no reason and we will get to see a justified season 2 with brand new pairing and fresh romance so all-in-all looking forward to Bridgerton S2 and then seeing RJP in some other substantial project!!

Will go through your review in some time Lizzie!

Sgayuiyer thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

Wowww soo much activity on this thread in the last couple of days!!! I will catch up soonish...Welcome Gayathri to the forum πŸ€—

I am with you on RJP and Simon-Daphne chemistry!! πŸ˜³They are β€οΈ Will surely miss RJP in the upcoming season but I am glad they didn't over-extend Simon-Daph story for no reason and we will get to see a justified season 2 with brand new pairing and fresh romance so all-in-all looking forward to Bridgerton S2 and then seeing RJP in some other substantial project!!

Will go through your review in some time Lizzie!

Thank you πŸ€—πŸ€—Glad to meet you all

Yaa their chemistry is spellbound true will miss him 

@B I agree with you. If they extend we will get bored πŸ€ͺ

Mee too 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Ya I saw this on FB too. She looks pretty, though I'm so annoyed at the lack of a Jonny- Simone promo rn that anything else feels like crummy leftovers. 

Also, I'm not feeling the most benevolently inclined towards Pen atm because of my S1 rewatch

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Ya I saw this on FB too. She looks pretty, though I'm so annoyed at the lack of a Jonny- Simone promo rn that anything else feels like crummy leftovers. 

Also, I'm not feeling the most benevolently inclined towards Pen atm because of my S1 rewatch

I didn't like her much either in S1. I mean apart from the focussed stars I guess Jonny and Lady Danbury were the ones I really enjoyed watching on the screen. 

Colin was again meh throughout. Which was a surprise because he was SUCH A BOMB in the books yk?