Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

columbia thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 3 years ago

I was hoping to write the whole wedding in one part, but realized I will have to divi it up. So the wedding will continue in the next part too. Hope to see more comments. Thank you all for your continued love. Please note I am not a Maharashtrian, so these rituals are the basic ones that I have written about, which are common in most Maharashtrian weddings, if it’s all wrong, then blame the internet .🤪I spent more time researching the significance behind each instead of the amount of rituals. There will always be more or less depending on the region and family. 

PART 32 A

The muhurat (the auspicious time for the union, set by calculating the alignment of the stars under which the groom and bride are born) had been set for 10:32am and thankfully, it was a pleasant day. Pleasant day, weather wise. For the bride and groom who have had an altercation just the night before, the restlessness and discomfort in their hearts are real. And while the muhurat is for 10:32am, there are few pre muhurat rituals and while the muhurat signifies the union, it also signifies the beginning, to enforce that new beginning there are always post muhurat rituals. 

It’s 3am, At the groom house, Ashwini is yelling and walking around waking everybody up, they have to be at Sai’s house between 7:30 and 8am for the semant puja (semant= groom, this ritual marks the entrance of the groom into the house). Everyone is slowly waking up. 

Ashwini walks into the room which Shivam and Virat are sharing, they are sitting quietly in the veranda staring outside. She is surprised at the quiet, it’s still dark outside, she assumes it’s the time. 

“Kya tum dono Aise yaha baithe ho? Shivam tujhe aur Samrat ko Virat ka dhoti vaghera bandhna hai, Shivani aur Devyani help karenge, lekin ladkiyan khud ko sajane mei bahut time lenge. Upar se parlor valli jo humne arrange kiya, sirf ek aa rahi hai, time lagega.”

Shivam stands and says 

“Main jaake dekhta hun, Mai ready ho jaata hun”

Ashwini is surprised at his somber disposition, she looks at Virat, holds his chin

“Godu, chal Horlicks piyega” 

Virat hugs his mother’s waist as she stands next to his chair. 

“Aai” he whispers 

“Kya hua re” she hugs him back, runs her hand over his head.

“Usne bhi Horlicks piya hoga?” He asks softly. 

She smiles

“Haiya, Tu usse miss kar rah hai na? Buss abb chand ghanto ki hi toh baat hai”

He nods still hugging, she continues

“Purane zamane mei bride aur groom fast rakhte the, taaki uss din ka pehla nivaala saath mei khaa sake, lekin aaj kal this is disappearing. Dekh godu, old rituals meant something, lekin sirf unhe apnao jo iss zamane mei kaam aaye. Log samajhte hai, ki voh convenient, convenient nahi, progress hai. Jaise bride aur groom shaadi ke ek din pehle na mile, kyunki ladka ladki jitna zyaada milte ho, ya toh pyaar badegha ya phir ladayi hogi, shaadi ke din ke liye bhi toh pyaar bachaake rakhna chahiye”

“Aur ladayi hui toh?”

“Ladayi hui toh, shaadi ke din sula karna mushkil hoga, sabke saamne ek dusre ke liye time nikalna mushkil hota hai” 

He nods and removes his hands from her. She spots his red eyes, her boy has not slept the whole night, she guesses, that they have had a fight. Her son is a prime idiot, he never listens to anyone. She removes her phone that she has tucked in her blouse. 

“Sai ko phone karke puche ki voh vrat rakh rahi hai, ya Horlicks pee rahi hai”

“Aapke paas uska number hai?l” he asks softly. 

“Haan! Sabka number hai mere paas, tere Aai ko sab pata hota hai, toh bol call karu?” Ashwini asks 

“Itni subah subah” He wonders 

“Kyu voh jaldi nahi uthti?” She asks hiding her smile 

“Haan uthti hai, roz savere hum dono ek dusre ke liye Horlicks banate hai” he says staring into space. And then realizes what he has said, looks at his mother, who grins.

“Arrey Humei pata thaa, yaha aane se pehle vaali shaam Devyani aur Shivani tere apartment ko decorate karne gaye the, tab bhanda phut gaya thaa” she laughs

He smiles “Lekin Aai please Sai ko mut batana, voh nahi chahti thi”

“Haan haan, Ek ladki ko apni self respect bahut important chiz hoti hai, ab bol mai call karu?” She realizes the faster the two just see each other, the better they will enjoy the marriage, the couple must be relaxed and happy on their day.

It’s around 3:30am, Sai has woken up, finished brushing her teeth and is standing in the kitchen. Shilpa has just texted she will be there in one hour to help out. Sai wonders how would she have ever managed all of this without Shilpa. Mavshi has told her to have some toast and Horlicks. She is looking at the Horlicks packet and misses Virat, he is the one who usually makes it for her. She presses her lips when the phone rings, it’s Virat’s mother and she wonders if everything is ok, 

“Hello?”

“Hello Sai..”

“Haan Aunty, boliye na?”

“Voh actually Mai tere Maavshi ko call karna chahti thi, lekin Mujhe laga bahut busy hongi, Mujhe puchna thaa Tum vrat rakh rahi ho kya?”

“Actually..maine Abhi tak ..”

“Nahi nahi tujhe nahi rakhna hai toh koyi baat nahi, kyunki Virat keh raha thaa ki Sai ne kuch khaya nahi hoga, toh mai Horlicks nahi pine vaala”

She puts it on speaker and waits for Sai’s reply. But more than her, it’s he who is waiting. Sai stands biting her lip and rubbing her finger on the kitchen platform. His mother continues, 

“Actually Maine Virat se Kaha thaa ki purane zamane mei ladka ladki din ka pehla nivala saath mei khaate hai, actually Pata nahi kyu, jab se utha hai, bahut hi chup chap baitha hai, kissi see thik se baat hi nahi kar raha, toh maine socha thoda khaa lega” Virat rolls his eyes, his mother’s manipulations never stop. 

Sai on the other hand, presses her lips, she looks at the Horlicks bottle, opens the kitchen cabinet and puts the bottle back. And she says 

“Jee Virat se kahiye mai sirf toast kha rahi hun, aap logon ke liye pohe ka intezam kiya hai.”

“Thik hai bala. Main rakhti hun” she smiles 

Virat is confused, 

“Kya matlab?”

“Arre pagal, voh tere saath hi Horlicks piyegi” 

He has a small smile, his mother boxes his chin, 

“Chal abhi tayaar hoja”

At around 5am, She has just finished chatting with her father, helped Maavshi out and the parlor girl will be here to get her ready. Shilpa is upstairs running last minute arrangements with the decorator. The priest will also be here in an hour. For she will have to do Gowri puja (an elaborate prayer for goddess parvati, who is the wife of Shiva and the representation of love, devotion, harmony and fertility.) But she can start the puja only after the groom arrives. The Gowri puja will happen in their own home, inside the kitchen with only the priest and Sai present. She needs to be ready in all her finery by then. According to the girl from the parlor, the bride needs 2 hours to get ready. 

It’s past 6:30am, the groom household is in a mad rush, Samrat is adjusting the groom’s dhoti, who is in a better mood which has automatically affected Shivam’s mood too who is putting on the gold chain given to him by Ashwini, who marches in and changes the gold chain saying it looks terrible. So she marches out and brings a box with broaches, she picks three identical ones and asks all three to put them on. The two guys groan, then Ashwini comes with the mundavyla- a headband made of pearls that is to be tied around Virat’s head. And she puts it on, Shivam’s phone rings, Shilpa is on video call. He picks it up and moves towards the veranda, the sun is up, and says loudly, 

“Hi Shilpa” 

Virat turns, Ashwini turns his head back, Samrat holds back a smile and is trying to tie the headband, but it doesn’t seem to be fitting, Ashwini is frustrated, Samrat calms her and says 

“Aai, koi baat nahi, time hai, agar extra thread hai Toh hum attach kar sakte hai, chaliye kitchen mei extra thread hoga”

The mother and her second son leave. Virat walks into the veranda, it’s the most beautiful and pleasant day outside, the dew has just settled and dawn insists on staying just a little while longer, he can hear Shilpa say 

“Tu kya Itni baar sorry sorry bhej raha hai Sai ko?” 

“Aur kya karu, I feel terrible” Shivam replies 

“Thik hai, anyways, she seems ok. Maine video isiliye on kiya, because Mai Virat ko apna paithani dikhana chahti thi” Shilpa shows off

“Toh Mujhe kyu kiya?” Shivam rolls his eyes

Virat grabs the phone and looks at Shilpa and smiles

“Maine sorry nahi bheja Sai ko.” He says softly 

“Uska phone mere paas hai, Mai hi padh rahi hun uske saare messages” Shilpa replies. Virat nods. 

“Ab boliye Aapke diye hue Paithani mei kaise lag rahi hun?” Shilpa asks hoping to bring a smile to his sad heart. 

“Sai ko kaisa laga?” He asks with a small smile. 

“Usne kaha mai ekdum Phataka lag rahi hun, kahi Virat shave karke na aajaye?” Shilpa says grinning,

“Main iss janam mei kya, kissi janam mei shave karne vaala nahi hun, keh dena usse” Virat states with surety. 

He gives the phone to Shivam as his mother and Samrat return with the mundavlya, and are putting it on Virat. 

Shivam looks into the phone and asks Shilpa

“Sab thik hai na vaha?” 

Shilpa shifts the phone a little and Shivam can see the parlor girl and Maavshi tying the Mundavlya around Sai’s head, Sai is smiling as Maavshi says something to her, Shivam shifts the phone and Shilpa can see Ashwini and Samrat tying it on Virat’s head, and Virat grinning as Samrat says something, Shivam and Shilpa smile at each other and take screen shots. 

At 8am, as Sai is arranging the items for the puja, she is following the instructions from the priest, who has told her where she needs to set the flowers and do a small ganpati puja first since all events must begin with ganpati puja. As she is completing the ganpati puja, it’s announced that the groom has arrived, which means Sai can begin the gowri puja as soon as the Semant puja is done.

Virat flanked by Shivam and Samrat beside him, with Shivani and Devyani behind and his parents in front stand at the entrance of Sai’s home, it’s the spot where Maavshi and Kamal perform the Semant puja. Traditionally, the father of the bride washes the feet of the groom, but on Virat’s insistence, he takes the small pot of water from Kamal’s hands, washes them himself and touches Kamal’s feet. Kamal hugs Virat. Shilpa and Maavshi put garlands around everyone welcoming the family. Shilpa’s parents are also introduced and Shilpa’s mother and Maavshi take them upstairs to the wedding venue. 

“Sai kaha hai?” Virat whispers to Shivam.

Shilpa’s mother hears that and giggles 

“Muhurat tak tumhe apni Sai ko dekhne nahi milega”

“Kissi ne Mujhe yeh bataya nahi” Virat replies half shocked

Maavshi and Shilpa’s mother burst out laughing. 

The terrace has been beautifully decorated, a small mandap, a raised platform has been built on one side, the position of the mandap has been established by the positioning of the sun, so that celestial blessings are showered throughout the ceremony. Earthen potted plants are placed next to each other against all walls of the terrace. Flowers hang on the walls and taller walls have light colored leheriya dupattas hanging from them, to match the pearls of the mundavlyas long strings of pearls hang on the back wall of the mandap. The mandap itself is decorated with hanging flowers and light colored cloth that flows and brings cool breeze into the mandap. 

Virat and his parents are seated in the mandap, and a small ganapati puja along with a sankalp puja is arranged, this is a prayer to first remove all obstacles, and then to their own family god to gain blessings to be able to welcome the girl into their home. 

Virat patiently sits through it, repeating the mantras and the sayings, but his heart waits for only one. 

Downstairs, Sai is almost done with her Gowri puja having prayed for strength to be able to conduct herself with devotion, love and where needed her ability to use her shakti, - that dynamic force present in women, the female energy necessary for creation and sustenance. It is for this final part of the puja, other women are invited to join the puja and bless the bride, everyone walks into the kitchen to bless Sai.

All the women take rice from the priest and place it on Sai’s head as she bows to them

“Tera navra utavla ho raha hai upar” Shilpa’s mother giggles

“Dekh Sai, apna time le, araam se jaa” Maavshi says teasingly. 

“Arre re, aisa kaisa, mera godu subah se Kuch khaya nahi Kuch piya nahi hai uski Sai ke liye, aab toh uski jaan Tumhare haath mei hai” Ashwini mock serious and giggling,

All the women giggle, teasing and saying Godu aur Godu ki baiko, Bodu!! 

Shivani comes forward and hugs Sai. 

“Virat ke liye nahi, toh hamare liye jaldi se aaja” Shivani says kissing her forehead.

“Haan, Vahini please” Devyani whines

Sai grins at her as Shilpa announces “VAHINI chala chala”

The priest looks on and smiles, it is this female energy that Hindu scriptures speak of, energy that can move universes depending on the need of time and space, positive and negative, for now it’s positive, as it should be.

——

Please drop a comment . 

Edited by columbia - 3 years ago
raji02 thumbnail

was waiting for the update. lovely. though the fight is not resolved, i am happy that they are doing all rituals whole heartedly. reminded me of my wedding reading about all the rituals. i am from andhra, but the basic rituals you have described are same for us as well. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

SoIWasSaying thumbnail

Sweet!!!!

Mother's always know it all...... They may not say much or show much, but they do know it all!!

Ashwini is love..... Hyper before everything is done.... Smart to read between the lines for her son.... Full on teasing mode ..... Mom are love... Always.....

Virat being restless made me feel very nice.. 😁😁😁

Shivam is like a cute child who was naughty for the first time An feels guilty about it.... An over pleasing to apologize.....

Shilpa is another form of sister..... Understands that men can be jerks and kinda let's go... Easing out virat and even shivam....

They are using technology in the best way..... Smarties ....

Not a maharashtrian so not aware of their rituals but I truly appreciate all the efforts you are putting to mention them as close to realty as possible ... Even with their basic purpose And meaning...  

I truly believe that all the traditions have some meaning and value when it was created.... We just need to understand the logic and 90% of it will hold meaning and value even at current time...... 

Ashwini is modern mom... progressive Traditional ...

Happy writing!!!❤️❤️ 

Sorry, I drifted with traditions... It was actually smthin I was telling my mom recently An u mentioned it here 😂😂

columbia thumbnail

Just tagging a few people. Will post next update tomorrow night. I must also remember to use Lina’s advise so that the story doesn’t get copied. If it does anywhere, please let me know. I have dealt with a situation before..

laksh thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: columbia

Just tagging a few people. Will post next update tomorrow night. I must also remember to use Lina’s advise so that the story doesn’t get copied. If it does anywhere, please let me know. I have dealt with a situation before..

Thank you. Looks like I have missed a lot of chapters. Will read them.

Thanks for tagging me 😍.

columbia thumbnail

Gayatri - I completely agree with you, if the importance and the meaning is understood, then the rituals actually make sense, and those that don’t, should be discarded. 

But somewhere along the way we just went an bollywoodised everything, so even regressive ones seem to be have been glorified. And the whole importance in given to packaging but none to the content. That’s why I spent time researching the meaning behind the rituals.

Raji - my bhabhi is Tamil and their wedding was all Tamil, my mother was slightly upset because she felt that some of our MP traditions should have been included, but my brother didn’t. He didn’t care, he just wanted to be married, he was to go for his Afghanistan posting the week after his marriage so his whole thing was, his wife is going to stay alone with his family, let her family at least have the wedding day to themselves, Me and my sister agreed and my mother relented. 
They have Gowri puja too, I did a lot of research about it at that time, because my brother could not understand why is bhabhi doing a puja while all of us were eating breakfast. He was so upset. 

SoIWasSaying thumbnail

Gayatri - I completely agree with you, if the importance and the meaning is understood, then the rituals actually make sense, and those that don’t, should be discarded. 

But somewhere along the way we just went an bollywoodised everything, so even regressive ones seem to be have been glorified. And the whole importance in given to packaging but none to the content. That’s why I spent time researching the meaning behind the rituals.

Raji - my bhabhi is Tamil and their wedding was all Tamil, my mother was slightly upset because she felt that some of our MP traditions should have been included, but my brother didn’t. He didn’t care, he just wanted to be married, he was to go for his Afghanistan posting the week after his marriage so his whole thing was, his wife is going to stay alone with his family, let her family at least have the wedding day to themselves, Me and my sister agreed and my mother relented. 
They have Gowri puja too, I did a lot of research about it at that time, because my brother could not understand why is bhabhi doing a puja while all of us were eating breakfast. He was so upset. 

True that.... Over Bollywood in everything has spoiled the basic logic of any tradition...

Your Bhabhi is Tamil, even I am.... 😁😁

My father's side family is full typical traditional ones.... We have all the aunt and Children excelling in Carnatic and dance ain instruments... I turned out to be odd one out 🙈🙈 did not do any learning... An still remain the rebel outcast 😂😂

Harinivas thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

How utterly incredible is this comment..

I don’t know about the show, since I have stopped watching it, but I agree on readers/commentors, they are special. 
I enjoy writing this SAIRAT and I think will enjoy for some time. ❤️ Hopefully!
Dont worry there are many faults in grammar 😆

Thank you for your love, pls do continue to drop by

Many people come and drop comments, but not everyone is consistent, I hope you stay so. 

Bold - I am quite addicted to your story.
I myself stopped watching the show 

actually many people are writing stories on the forum because so many are frustrated 

Sometimes I can’t keep track myself 

But the frustration is understandable 

I wish more writers were like you 

Do a nice long story update regularly 

It’s fun to read then. 

I also noticed how you as a writer also got better in your writing ya 

It’s nice 

I will try my best to post regular comments 

I love reading other people’s comments on your SS 

The analysis is very deep 

Harinivas thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I loved how you showed progressiveness in the rituals 

Virat’s act of taking the bowl from KJ and washing his own feet is ⭐️ 

I know a family who got angry because the girls side had not performed this properly! 
they claimed that the feet should be wiped also 

I wish they showed what you have written in TV shows

You have also shown conflict but so realistic 

Between the groom and bride 

Where the groom must respect the bride 

I read the ranting by Gayatri di and Nina Barbie and I completely agree with them 

I am curious to see how you will resolve this between them 

Because it’s actually not a “character flaw” it’s actually more of carelessness on part of Virat 

This is of course because of his personality 

Impatient, too sure of himself 

I just loved it 

Also fell in love with what you wrote about female energy -

Can be used positively or negatively 

sairat07 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Wow!! Doesn't seem like u have not researched about it... Just amazing it resembles like u r showing any movie...Really the way u narrate every part is awesome... Hope so their misunderstandings blow off!!🤞❤ 

Continue soon💜 with next part...Looking forward to read what u have planned next 😊😊😉