P&P Part II - Page 16

Posted: 3 years ago

"

Viveka went inside to make another cup of chai for everyone

It was a mess all around she realized

From expensive gifts to no MIL to her own parents fumbling"

Socio economic inequality. The difference in strata dictates people's thoughts, actions , feelings and behavior. And It's not just about differences created by financial circumstances. It's It's also about No one understands this better than Viveka.

It's very clear. The parashars kind of a world does not interact leave alone overlap with the world of Mathurs. That's the discomfort and disappointment that both Anubha and smrita have. Now because of this alliance they are scared , skeptical about being forced to interact under circumstances that they neither bargained for nor have control of.

I also feel Satyen could have just held himself from gifting that expensive watch very well knowing neither Viveka nor Mathurs would be comfortable with that. I know it's not calculated his end and he is expressing his elation at such an alliance but such gifts do rise eyebrows and sets tongues wagging  because of its sensitivity. He was just doing fine gifting those beautiful elegant hand crafted sarees. Why oh why Mr. Parashar? Or was the watch a gift from Raanav himself to Viveka ? 

Kalpana

She is the bride right? she has to be treated special for mooh dikhayi

But this bride has too much self respect and is too grounded to be swayed by a $50K watch

Lab mouse

“How was it?” he asked as she walked inside the campus, the weather was much nicer this morning

He was up at 5:43 AM, with the 5 hour time difference

“It was great” she said pleasantly almost sprinting

“Everything good?”

“Umm.. yeah… Ive never spoken with your brother… he is so pleasant and quiet”

“AND he has a temper” Raanav bristled

“You are probably a  teddy bear” she laughed

“I will let you cuddle me, you can tell me” he muttered

“Raanav!!”

“I am stating facts”

“Got it!!”

“I am sorry about the watch” he said

“Umm.. its OK”

“I am also sorry my mother could not make it”

“that’s fine too”

“Did they talk about a date?”

“I cant get married until end of Dec, after finals”

“3 months? 4?”

“haan”

“Hmmmm” he sighed

“Its fine” she reassured

“Must be great to be all knowing” he was irritated

“Kya sun na chahte ho? Come back tomorrow we will do a filmi thing? Nahi Raanav” she said calmly

“You can be less dismissive” he growled

“I wasn’t being dismissive I was saying its not long now”

“No you were negative”

“I cant obviously argue with a lawyer” she smiled,  panting, shifting her bag from one shoulder to another

“I … I don’t want to (argue) Viveka… I am just not happy my Mom didn’t make it” he revealed the real reason for his mood

“Naina apne kamre se bahar nahi nikli… Dadi ne tumhari Ma ko lekar 100 sawaal kiye, Ma and I fought about something… ab har ek baat par attitude nahi dikha sakti main” she paused and sat down on a bench along a walkway

“I am sorry”

“Thanks… there are too many variables out of our control in this event” she sighed

“When you talk Econ it turns me on” he said in agony

“Back to my point….(God! He is insufferable! Ufff!!)  we cannot control so many, it will affect the outcome of..”

“The experiment?” he was half amused half serious

“You think our marriage is an experiment?” she laughed

“don’t you?” he caught her 

“It probably looks like one to an observer… I am the lab mouse, I move from the glass box to a…” she struggled for a word to describe life with the Parashar kid

He was silent

“Main chahkar kar rahi hoon shaadi tumse Raanav” she said softly

Just when he thought he couldn’t love her more…

“Viveka”

“I don’t think anyone says my name like you do” she said with a sigh

Watching  10s of crows swoop down on what seemed like  a large puddle of water in the middle of the grassy area

“Do you mind meeting with my mother for lunch if I can umm..”

“talk her into it?” she laughed

“I meant arrange it” “sure… we will go with your words”

“I cant make any such promise about Naina though” she chuckled

“I don’t want to meet her” he said bluntly

“I hope you will give me the same freedom with your Mom” she said

She was hurt deeply that Raanav did not care for Naina

Not ONE bit

The swiftness of his response was like a wrecking ball to her heart

Edited by Nisha0604 - 3 years ago

Why does he dislike Naina so much. He still holds the same opinion about girls from middle class families being gold diggers as he did on day 1. Only his opinion of Viveka has changed. He thinks she's an exception and not a rule, which is sad. Not sure if a smart girl like Viveka can digest the fact that he sees middle class women in such poor light.

Originally posted by modernfamily

Why does he dislike Naina so much. He still holds the same opinion about girls from middle class families being gold diggers as he did on day 1. Only his opinion of Viveka has changed. He thinks she's an exception and not a rule, which is sad. Not sure if a smart girl like Viveka can digest the fact that he sees middle class women in such poor light.

BINGO!👏👏

Does Raanav think he will never have to deal w Naina again???  Oy vey........that is not going end well...

Viveka's anger is justified..Waiting to see ranav's reaction😳🐤

His mother thinks such girls are floozies. She tells him that such kind of girls are generally available to fool around. Not just Naina,  Inder had his share of fun as well but aspersions are cast on the girl? As if Inder is some saint!!! Raanav has been his mother's ally thus far till he met Viveka.  

Getting dropped in his car from the airport in my opinion was not their first real argument. This one the way he dismisses Naina is actually their first tussle. 

Ooh! Pretty awkward!! Four months of courtship till their wedding is going to be interesting! Hmmm!

Yeh Naina…

She could only manage a gasping “OH?” in response  “Oh yeah!” “I do realize you don’t have to live with Naina” she laughed “But that was very hurtful Raanav” she said quietly through choked words

Reminding him subtly that his insistence of meeting with Smrita was connected to her obligation of having to live with her after marriage

He could not come up with  an apology she realized

That was even more troublesome, as if Naina was a separate entity who had no meaning or value for the Parashars? Or maybe for Raanav?

They say what you speak casually or what you blurt out is often the result of your mind offering up those words that have been in there for months and years. An idea or notion that has existed for long… At least it aligned with how he appeared until June 4th, Uncaring about anyone not as wealthy as him

“A sec” he clicked out and clicked back in in a couple minutes ready to talk again

“I have to go” she mumbled hoping to calm herself down

“really? We were talki” he began to say

“Have a class in 7 minutes” “Bye”

She was polite as always and hung up

It was a rough day

She was supposedly “engaged” to be married but there was so much confusion and conflict

“Ufff” she sighed

“Abhishek had a journal for her, he had texted

She had responded with a thank you and never gone back to to get it

What he said about Naina hurt her more than how Naina was behaving with her the last 3 weeks

It is quite incredible she thought, she had changed so much

Naina and her had never hada  cold war, never had a phase where they couldn’t stand each other

Never shouted angry insults at each other

Not one day had gone by where she had not gushed about something to her and Naina had gushed about something to Viveka

The break down was complete at this point

Raanav called her twice she couldn’t answer as she was in class

She went home, Rhea called she went over to hang out and then worked with Ishwar and Ratna until 9 PM and headed home

Raanav called again

She texted him “Sorry I have had a long day, can we talk tomorrow

It was not in her DNA to play hard to get or lash out or sulk…

“Viveka, I”

She cut his text off by saying “I am walking towards the Metro station sorry I will go thru security and get on a train now…” she texted and put her phone in her bag

And headed home

She got home showered and knocked on Naina’s door

Naina opened it startled, “Don’t do this to me Naina” she hugged her tight and let her tears flow

Sigh feel bad for Viveka. No matter how angry yo are, your siblings are your support specially your sister. Ranaav was very insensitive about the whole thing. He wants Viveka to meet his mother but when it come to her family, he was so rude. Can’t wait to see how they handle this.