Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minhasmansi92 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Sunn_shine

PM List

Below is a list of members who have permitted me to send PM for every update. 

Thank you so much for all your love and support

🤗

WaqtZaya

Oa2019

ARAZRP

ATP

Jay65

Krushnad

Yogakshema

Chavi12345

Annu8193

dusk2dawn

AGAriya05

Bumbushi

Awesome

MishtiNew

MishtyShona

Lovelife234

Katheriene

Discolights

Mujhe bhi add Karo list me!!!! Mujhe kisne nhi bataye third tread Ka 😭

Rexana19 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sunn_shine

PM List

Below is a list of members who have permitted me to send PM for every update. 

Thank you so much for all your love and support

🤗

WaqtZaya

Oa2019

ARAZRP

ATP

Jay65

Krushnad

Yogakshema

Chavi12345

Annu8193

dusk2dawn

AGAriya05

Bumbushi

Awesome

MishtiNew

MishtyShona

Lovelife234

Katheriene

Discolights

Please add me as well...

MishtyShona thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock!🤓

Minhasmansi92 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

“I HAVE GROWN SO LAZY AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THE THIRD TREAD!!!!! (SAD POUT)"

CHAPTER 32

I freaking cried with kukki's out burst!!!! She is so precious to go through all this!!!! 

Anyways I have gone through all the chapters of this thread. I have loved every single chapter. There were movements when I made faces, cringed at the scene, felt angry at few and disgusted at someone in one of the chapters. Don't ask me why but I did!!!! 

Meneka she is just like that little cringing houseflies which doesn't leave you till it get killed!!!! (Don't take it in other way becoz if you can get you readers to hate a character this much even when you know that this not what you are originally rooting for. Than Girl you are an amazing writer😎👏❤️). Are there chances meneka is going to get past her given limits. If yes than I m rooting for it!!!! Becoz it will good to see how Prerna will react!!!! 

And now coming to Prerna I feel she have grown a little than her former self but still there is way more less growth than meneka's she is going at much faster pace than Prerna. But in last few chapters Prerna have realised things which she never did before and it is good in a way!!!! I just feel Prerna should at least for once ask sorry from Rishabh for what she has done in past I want nothing else!!!!!

Rishabh is as always perfect😎. You know that I admire Rishabh and Kukki's bond with eachother more than anything else I do in this whole FF. These two are so precious!!!!! God!!!! Mehra knows that RB and P are not divorced!!!!! Mehra is the absolute gem in this story😆!!!!! 

And I went through your that last note and to be honest I was angry with you for ending the story but than I thought from you perspective too!!! I know it kind of a hurts when everyone is behind that particular character than you should know that you have done an amazing job writing this FF becoz not everyone can hate the same character. Next time if it ever crosses your mind to end this story than remember how everyone appreciate the way you are writing it!!!! 

With love 

Mansi 

“I HAVE GROWN SO LAZY AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THE THIRD TREAD!!!!! (SAD POUT)"

WaqtZaya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Most Comments (August 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: MishtyShona

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock, tick tock!🤓

😒 tumi jano jao kotha bolo 

Gigiri thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Meenu...........Please add me to your PM list too 

Sunn_shine thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Hey Guys. So sorry to keep you waiting..

Posting in 5 minutes. Pata nahi kya likha hai but I'll post. Thank you for your patience 🤗

Sunn_shine thumbnail

Hello Amazing People🤗

Hope you all are safe and sound. I am here with the next update. I just saw so many messages waiting for the update. I am overwhelmed and a bit scared if it even is worth the wait. I have openly accepted that I am always unsure before posting and it's no different this time.

Please expect a lot of Kukke, Menaka, Prerna, Masi in this one. Rishabh is missing yet present all over the update, 9 year old him and his Mom. We go more in past this time.

I read the last update that i had finished at 4am in the morning (worst time 🙄). I wasn't happy with the last part as I forgot a few things because I was too sleepy 😁, hence, I have rewritten it. I have added Masi's POV that brings a few turns in future updates. You will get an idea while reading this one.

So I'll leave you all here with the update and be the judge if it was worth your read. Thank you in advance for reading.

PS. I haven't replied to a lot of messages, some are sitting in the drafts. My apologies and I promise to reply each one soon. Thank you again for being so amazing and supportive.

Love❤️

-Sunshine🤗

ALTAMOUNT TOWERS

11.30PM

As soon as they entered, Masi looked at him with angry glares. "Tumne drink.."

"I am sorry Masi, aap please aaj Kukki ke pass so jayiye. I don't want to sleep next to her like this.. I am going back to my room" tucking Kukki in her bed, he kissed her and left for his room.

Leaving Masi and Kukki inside the room he came out and said, "Chandu, get me an aspirin.. and a hot water bag" and vanished inside his room.

After a while, Chandu entered the room with the stuff he asked for and found him sitting on the floor looking away at the window on the opposite wall. His back facing Chandu. He sat leaning against the bed, hands locked around his raised knees.

"Sir, your aspirin and water bag." Chandu, went inside and kept everything by his side on the floor and quietly walked back to the door. This wasn't the first time he had seen him like this and he knew what he had to do. He quietly sneaked out of the room and knocked at Kukki's room. 

Masi opened the door. "Kya baat hai Chandu?"

"Mam.. I think apko Sir ke pass jana chahiye. Wo waise hi floor pr baithe hain jaise pehle…" Masi didn't have to hear anymore to recall everything. 

"Tum yaha Kukki ke pass ruko.. hum dekhte hain. Kukki uthe to Rishabh ke pass mat aane dena" she said.

'Rishabh ko aise dekhegi to pareshan ho jayegi' she thought and went to his room. 

Rishabh's Room

He still sat on the floor with his head in his hands, but a lot of things had come down on the floor, in that little of time. Rooms being soundproof, no one knew what was happening inside but it looked like a storm just crossed from there.

Careful of the shattered objects on the floor, Masi quietly made her way to Rishabh. She sat beside him on the floor and lowered his head in her lap. He just followed, quietly with no resistance like he needed that comfort in that moment. She had found him in the same state when he lost his mother. Even when Aditya, Menaka and Ara went away, he had locked himself. Everytime he thought he failed he'd react this way. However, Masi wondered what made him do this today? 

She just caressed his hair. "Kaha the subah se? Pata hai hum kab se phone kar rahe the?"

"Office.." he said.

"Tumhe ghar hona chahiye tha.."

"I destroyed another life..Masi" is all he said, staring at the window on his side.

Masi could make no sense, but she knew if she asked, it would shut him off. So she patiently waited. "Wo sab galat news hoti hai Rishabh.. just for publicity.."

"Kukki ki health mein jab Ms. Sharma ki wajah se improvement hua to I thought unhe Kukki ki life mein laake I'll make things better. I acted like I was bringing a doll for Kukki. Forgetting the fact that she is a human being, with her own life, her own relations. I took everything away from her. I again became a reason for her destruction like I was for everyone else in my life, be it my Mom and.. they are all right, I am nothing but a destroyer.."

"Nahi Rishabh.." Masi couldn't understand why he was thinking this way, that too after so many months. She agreed that his way to bring Prerna into Kukki's life was not the best but Prerna had agreed too. Lovingly she said, "Wo tumhara akele ka decision nahi tha. Offer tumne kiya but accept usne kiya na. Tumhara reason Kukki tha aur uska Mr. Basu. Uske pass choice thi na wo proposal accept nahi karne ki. You both had your own reasons to get into that agreement. Agar tumhe lagta hain us sabki wajah se Prerna ki life pe affect pada hai to Kukki ke bare mein bhi socho. Kya uske actions ki wajah se Kukki ko problem nahi hui? Kam se kam aaj wo khush hai apni life mein, par Kukki? Us bacchi ka to bhaut kuch chin gaya uske jane ki wajah se. Sirf Kukki hi kyun? Didn't it affect you? Jo sab usne shaadi ke baad kiya tha kya wo theek tha? Tum bhool sakte ho Calcutta mein jo kuch hua, hum nahi."

Rishabh was so engulfed in his guilt ridden thoughts that he wasn't able to reason well. Prerna's words were messing up his brain, clouding his ability to think rationally. 

'I didn't know if it was a boy or girl Mr. Bajaj'..

He held Masi's hand in his, gripping it tightly as he spoke "She lost everything Masi.. If I had not become so selfish for Kukki; maybe a life wouldn't have lost a chance to live" Masi was now worried looking at him, confused as nothing made sense to her but she still heard him patiently.

"Baat kya hai beta??" She asked, kissing his hand that held hers in a tight hold.

"Masi.. after we left from Calcutta.. Ms. Sharma and Mr. Ba.. (he paused).. they never got married and she lost her ch.." he stopped because that was just their secret. He didn't want to disclose it without her permission. 

This information came across as a shock to Masi. Even, she couldn't believe something like this would have happened, like everyone else she also thought Prerna married the day they left. "How do you know all this?" She asked.

"I was with her at the office.. Remember I told you something was different with her but I failed to notice all this while. Kal Kukki ke incident ke baad she met us at the beach and I realised something was not right. Aaj when I pushed her she told me everything.." he said recalling the entire conversation.

Masi wasn't very happy hearing it as she had been trying to reach him worried, while he was with Prerna at the office. "Tum waha us se baat kar rahe the aur yaha hum aur Rastogiji tumhe dhund dhund kr pareshan ho gaye.."

"I needed answers Masi. I don't know why but not knowing the truth made me restless.. Subah she left for Pune leaving the conversation midway for the second time and I couldn't return without hearing the truth from her" he said.

"Tumhe nahi lagta office mein Prerna ke sath hone se zyada important tumhara Rastogiji se milna tha? Ye sab tum baad mein bhi pooch sakte the Rishabh.."

He couldn't care less for anything while his mind was occupied by the guilt. "She lost everything Masi.. All because of me. I was so focused on building a family for Kukki that I broke another one"

"Isi wajah se drink kiya tumne ye jante hue ki tumhe mana hai?" Asked Masi, in a worried tone. Rishabh's silence was enough for her to know what led to his condition.

Unaware of the fact that the reason for his guilt was Prerna's unborn child, she was certain that he was blaming himself for this, more because he was under the influence of alcohol and that he felt bad for Prerna as she couldn't marry. According to her, he didn't know what he was saying, hence, she decided not to talk more about it.

"Rishabh, tumne bhaut drink kar liya hai.. ye sab sochna band karo.." she caressed his hair and her gaze fell at the water bag lying around "ye kis liye?" She asked.

"My back.." he said. 

"Dard hai to bata nahi sakte?" Masi picked up the bag and kept it against his back and she felt him relax a bit. "Medicine li?"

"Hmm" he said, closing his eyes.

"you should sleep, subah we have to go." She said, tapping his head.

Masi looked at Rishabh in her lap and recalled how Kukki was in so much stress a day before. 'Ek baar fir se tum humari life mein aayi ho Prerna aur hamare bacche dobara itni taklif mein hain. Dheere dheere sab aage badh rahe the pichle itne mahino se, ek baar phir se.. jab tumhe is family se koi lena dena nahi tha, ye jante hue bhi ki AMRA Bajajs ki company hai, to kyu aayi tum yaha. Chhod aaya tha na Rishabh sab kuch, yaha tak ki Kukki ka dream bhi. Apni Mom ka revenge, sab kuch. Ab aur kya chahti ho jo yaha wapas aayi ho." thought Masi as she put Rishabh to sleep.

12.30am

Prerna's Apartment

Prerna sat on the couch not able to sleep herself. 

'Eventually we move back to London' 

"Aap koi na koi solution zaroor nikal lengi, that works for your two"

Aap uske sath rahengi bhi to as what? A friend, a mother???

She threw everything off the coffee table, along with her phone. 'Why everything has to be this difficult. Is there an end to all this? Sab kuch to le liya ab aur kya chahiye??' she screamed looking up at the ceiling with anger. She wasn't crying anymore because she was filled with anger against her own life, her own destiny. 

Rishabh's Room

2.30am

Masi slept on the floor, her head leaning against the bed, with her hand over his head as he slept in her lap. Sudden but quick movements woke her up. She looked at Rishabh and he wriggled in her lap. Soon he turned into a ball writhing in unbearable pain. 

"Rishabh, beta kya hua??" Masi almost panicked as he almost trembled in her lap.

"My back.." is all he could say, in a strained, shaky voice, before he broke into little coughs. Masi rubbed his back and reached out for the glass of water from the coffee table. As he drank water Masi was in utter shock when she looked at the glass. Though the room was underlit but she didn't fail to notice the change in color of water right in front of her eyes. 

"Rishabh, is that bl.." Before she could say a word, Rishabh rushed to the restroom.

"Chanduuu!!! John!!" she screamed for the house staff as she followed Rishabh. 

Chandu had reached within seconds. "Chandu phone laao humara Kukki ke room se. John ko kaho Driver ko bole gadi nikalne aur upar aaye abhi.. Go.."

Masi rushed to Rishabh and she skipped a heartbeat when she looked at the basin. Things were happening at such a speed that her tired brain had stopped functioning. She came to her senses only when she saw Rishabh, he was about to fall. She reached him and held him but he fainted right there. She hugged him as she sat on the floor with him in her arms. "Rishabh, aankhein kholo beta.. please.." she tapped his face several times to wake him up. "Rishabh..!!" She hugged him tighter, when he didn't wake up. "Chandu.. John!!! Jaldi.."

CHAPTER 34

Chandu came with her phone and she asked for some water. "Chandu Rastogiji ka number dial karo jaldi". She splashed water on his face "Rishabh, beta please utho." She said in a scared yet pleading voice. 

'4 dino se keh rahe doctor ko mil lo par sunna nahi hai' she murmured as she splashed more water. To her relief he made some movement, but soon she knew it wasn't a great idea as his body stiffened and he almost struggled to breathe to keep up with his pain. She held his hand, but his grip was bone crushing. 

"Mam, Doctor Rastogi" said Chandu and held the handset against her ear as she spoke, "Rastogiji aap jahan bhi hain please jaldi se hospital phonchiye. Rishabh.. he threw up blood, a lot of it. Humne khud dekha.. pain bhi bhaut zyada bad gaya hai.." She looked at Rishabh, trying to say something.

"Ku.." is all she heard from him before he slipped into unconsciousness again. 

Masi spoke over the phone again, panick evident in her voice "Phir se faint ho gaya hai ye.. Hum isey leke aa rahe hai aap please waha phonch jayiye jaldi. Hum aapko call karte hain."

John and the driver had arrived in minutes and all three carried him. 

Disconnecting the call, Masi rushed to Kukki's room as she had almost forgotten about her.

Masi carefully picked up Kukki without disturbing her sleep and followed the staff to the parking level in a different lift. Masi sat on the back seat next to Rishabh, with Kukki in her arms.

"John yahan dhyaan rakhna hum call karenge. Chandu tum aage baitho" said Masi, in a low voice. Masi didn't want to wake up Kukki, at least not before they had reached hospital. It would have become difficult to manage her.

Masi dialled Rastogi again and spoke to him in a low voice "hum bas 10 min mein phonch rahe hain. Aap honge na wahan?"

"Aap jaldi ayiye I am waiting at the entry to the private wing. Aap wahi le ayiye usey'" said Rastogi, pacing at the entry ready with everything and staff to take him in. 

If things weren't already difficult for her, Kukki shifted in her arms hearing sounds and movement around her. 

"Dadi Masi.. where are we going" mumbled Kukki, as she gave a little glance outside the car. 

"We are going back home beta. Aap beach gaye the na.. go back to sleep" said Masi tapping, to put her back to sleep.

"Papa." She mumbled, again. 

"Papa bhi yahan hai. So gaye hain wo bhi" Kukki turned her face and found her father sleeping leaning against Masi's shoulder. She reached for his hand. Satisfied that her dad was around, with a smile she closed her eyes and went off to sleep with his hand in hers.

Just 5 mins away from the hospital, Rishabh became restless again, she knew his pain was back as he shifted in his place.

"Chandu, Kukki ko lo zara" said Masi and lowered Rishabh in her lap. "Bas 5 min aur Rishabh, we are almost there.. just hold on for a little while.." His breathing was all over the place by now, scaring Masi every passing minute. "Vijay jaldi karo.." her voice broke as she instructed the driver. Though it was just 20 mins since he woke up in the middle of the night but it felt like eternity. 

BREACH CANDY HOSPITAL

2.50am

The car came to a halt at the entrance of the private wing and hospital staff was quick to extract him from the car to place him on the gurney. While he was being shifted Kukki had woken up in Chandu's arm and her drowsy gaze fell at her father, as Rastogi and others put him on the gurney. Kukki was wide awake and she came down to reach him. 

"Papa.. what happened?? We were going home.. Dadi Masi..??" she held Rishabh's hand and looked at Masi quizzically.

Masi didn't fail to notice fear on her face but there was no more hiding. "Baby he is not well isliye we got him here" said Masi.

"Papa.. wake up.." said Kukki, shaking his hand a little. Rishabh heard her voice and opened his eyes to see a blurry image of her worried face.

'It's alright, baby..' he whispered, his voice barely audible as he struggled to catch his breath.

"Move.." said Rastogi, instructing his staff to move as soon as he was done fixing the oxygen mask.

"Papa.. Pa.." Kukki ran as fast as she could along with them, but she won't leave his hand at any cost. Rastogi noticed it and he made her stand on the gurney base, so they could rush.

2.55am

Soon they were outside the ICU and Rishabh's condition was deteriorating every passing minute. His skin was pale and had broken into cold sweats.

"Kukki, you have to leave his hand now, we have to take him in, beta" said Rastogi, but Kukki refused shaking her head. 

"I will also go with him" said Kukki, looking at Rishabh and wiped off her tears. 

Masi had no option but to intervene. "Beta andar bacche nahi ja sakte. Hum bhi nahi ja sakte. Papa ko jane do, unko bhaut pain ho rha hai Kukki. Please.. aap to Papa ke princess ho na.." said Masi, but Kukki didn't react, she just stared at her dad and then at their hands. "No Masi, Papa needs me" she said looking at his hand in hers.

"Shardaji.. time nahi hai zyada. His vitals are very unstable" said Rastogi.

Masi nodded and felt miserable as she was left with no option but to forcefully separate her. She held Kukki in a tight hold and tried to open her hand so she could leave her dad's hand but what surprised more was Rishabh, who held her hand with more force and wasn't ready to leave as he looked at Masi with half closed eyes, still breathing hard through the oxygen mask. He couldn't speak but his eyes filled with fear for Kukki said a lot.

"I told you, he needs me" whispered Kukki.

Masi looked at Kukki and back at him, "Rishabh, don't worry about Kukki. Hum yaha hain uske sath. Hum dhyaan rakhenge Kukki ka. Leave her hand" Masi said, caressing his hair, assuring him of Kukki and wiped off the tear that escaped from the corner of his eye. Rishabh looked at Kukki and his grip loosened and he gave her hand in Masi's. Kukki rigorously shook her head, not ready to leave him but Rishabh blinked his eyes to assure her. 

Masi sat on the floor and wrapped her arms around Kukki, asking Rastogi and medical staff to proceed. As they moved the gurney away from Kukki, she put all her might to move away from Masi's grip and when they all vanished inside the room she felt like her dad was taken away from her and she'd never meet him again. 

"LEAVE ME!!!" One last push was enough for her to break free from Masi's grip who was tired and exhausted and she ran towards the room only to meet the closed doors. She banged on the door, so she could be with her father but it didn't open.

"Open the door.. mujhe andar jana hai.." her tears won't stop and neither hands stopped hitting and knocking the door; ordering them to open it.

Masi got on her feet with tears in her eyes. She had never felt this helpless in her entire life as she looked at Kukki frantically knocking at the door, calling for her father and asking to open the door. Chandu wanted to intervene but Masi asked him not to and he just followed. 

Masi called both Aditya and Tanvi but as expected they were both out of the coverage area. Her helplessness was converting into frustration. She stumbled a little, but Chandu held her and made her sit on the chair and he went away to get some water. Sitting on the chair not very far from Kukki, she lowered her head in her hands as she was drained by now with whatever happened in the last 30 minutes or so. She could hear Kukki still knocking at the door, sound only getting slower. She wanted Kukki to vent all she wanted so she could take her in her embrace. She wasn't no different than Rishabh when it came to being stubborn. Like him she'd do anything to get what she wants, especially if it was about him. With time her calls turned from orders to desperate requests to fainting pleads; Masi heard it all.

While Masi sat nearby with her eyes closed, tired knocking the door, Kukki looked up at the glass opening but it was too high for her to reach. Kukki looked around and reached for the visitors chair. She pulled one of them but it didn't move as those were fixed on the floor. 

She was angry, and that's when her gaze fell on a small plastic stool where the guard sat a while ago. He was talking to another staff member on the other side of the entry door; Kukki just took away his stool and ran back to the door. She climbed on it but it helped her to reach just the lower end of the glass. She still couldn't see what was happening inside. She lifted herself on her toes just to see a glimpse of her father.

3.30am

What Kukki saw stunned her for a few moments and made no sound as she looked through the glass opening. Rishabh was changed into a hospital robe and there were several machines around him. She didn't fail to notice how he twisted and turned a little on the bed, writhing in unbearable pain, with several doctors around holding him in place. The only known person Rastogi was trying to fix a needle on his hand. His mask was replaced by thin tubes running down his nose.

"Papa.." she let out a painful whisper, her sweaty palms resting over the glass, leaving a print of hers. Her feet hurt as she stood on her toe tips, but it didn't matter.

Kukki's eyes widened as she saw him getting up a little and soon he threw up a whole lot of red fluid on the white floor. That was the moment of her undoing, she could nomore contain herself and she vigorously tapped at the glass. Entire lobby echoed with her shrilling screams for her dad. Everyone inside the room looked in that direction and Masi who was unaware looked at her, hearing her screams. 

"Nurse, why did you leave the curtain open" Rastogi was worried for Kukki but he couldn't leave, hence he asked the nurse to put the curtain and check on the child. 

"PAPAAAA!!!…" Kukki screamed again, as Rishabh's eyes met hers too for a second before darkness engulfed him completely.

Kukki was shaking with fear and anger as the curtains were pulled and she could not see him anymore "Open the door.. NOW!!" she banged on the glass as hard as she could. She almost fell off the stool, in an attempt to kick the door open. Masi held her in place but Kukki just jerked her hand off.

Chandu had returned with water bottles. Nurse came out and found Masi, doing her best to keep Kukki away from hurting herself. Masi tried to take Kukki away from the door but she tightly clutched one of the handles and she won't leave it. At Masi's instructions, Chandu removed the stool, so she was at least away from the glass. Kukki now stood at the door still holding on to the door handle, putting her legs to kick the door while her hands gripped the handle. 

"Kukki beta, please. Dadi Masi ke pass aa jao. Waha chair pr baith jate hain. Dekho door ke ekdam samne hi hai, jaise hi doctor uncle ayenge humko mil jayenge beta. Aa jao" Masi said, sitting on her knees, pleading her, but Kukki won't leave.

"You promised, Papa.." she kept repeating the words standing outside the door, for how long she had no idea. Masi couldn't bear the site. She moved back to the chair to give her some space to feel a bit relaxed and maybe leave or at least sit. 

Everytime anyone left or entered the room, Kukki looked at them with hope but only to be broken. 

As time passed by she broke into slow sobs, drained and tired. She couldn't forget what she saw inside the room. The blood on the floor had imprinted in her mind. 

4.00am

Tired of waiting she left the door and moved to the corner of the doorway. She sat there with her arms wrapped around her knees, as tightly as she could. It felt like she wanted to squeeze into the smallest space possible, missing the warmth of her dad around her. She was no more crying other than a sob or hiccup here and there. Masi and Chandu tried to pick her up but she'd simply jerk off their hands away from her. 

'Don't go away Papaa.. please.." she kept saying a little prayer in her mind, till she drifted into sleep. Her head leaned on her side, against the door. Masi sat on the floor next to Kukki who was asleep by now in her place. She couldn't take her eyes off the little girl on her side.

4.55am

"Masi kahan hain?." Masi turned to look in the direction of the familiar voice. She got up and reached the entrance where Menaka was asking Chandu about her.

"Masi, aap theek hain?" Said Menaka, looking at Masi who was in a bad state  and hugged her.

For the very first time Masi felt a little reflief and a bit of strength as she found herself in Menaka's embrace, giving her the much needed comfort. "I am very sorry itni raat ko humne call kiya but na Adi tha na Tanvi, aur kisi ko jante nahin yahan. Kukki ko sambhale ya Rishabh samajh hi nahi aa raha tha. Isliye.."

"Aap kaisi baat kar rahi hain Masi. Kya hua hai? RB theek hai?" Breaking the hug, asked Menaka looking at worried Masi.

"Pata nahi, Rastogiji ne kaha kuch internal bleeding.. Abhi tak ICU mein hain, kuch pata nahi kya hua.. Kukki ka bura haal tha. Poora hospital sar pe utha liya tha kuch der pehle.."

"Aap tension mat lijiye aap yaha baithiye, he'll be fine" Menaka made her sit on the chair and then she felt like her heart shattered when her gaze stopped at Kukki sleeping in a corner outside the ICU door. Menaka came down on her knees but stopped midway hearing Masi's voice "Kukki ko uthana mat. Bhaut mushkil se soyi hai. Zara bhi touch karo to haath jhatak deti hai. Sone do usey, bhuat thak gai hai.."

Tears rolled down her face as she looked at her but agreeing to Masi, she let Kukki sleep, till they heard on Rishabh. Menaka removed her stole from around her neck and covered Kukke and sat right next to her.

5.45am

What felt like ages, Rastogi came out of the room and found Kukki still sitting outside the door. She didn't move this time, like she did every time someone opened the door. He knew what she saw was a huge jolt to her.

"Uncle, how is he?" Asked Menaka, getting up from the floor.

Masi stood in her place and asked "Rishabh.. kya hua hai usey? Wo theek to hai?" Asked Masi, worried. 

Rastogi moved ahead towards Masi and said "Internal bleeding ho rahi hai. He has lost a lot of blood. Mujhe isi baat ka dar tha, isliye kal se usey reach karne ki koshish kar raha tha. Uske scans mein slow bleeding detect hui thi but itna severe to maine bhi expect nahi kiya tha. Agar aap log aur late ho jate to..."

Masi dropped on the chair hearing him. "Usey to bas back pain.. usne kuch bataya nahi.." said Sharda, still in shock.

"Shardaji, kabhi kabhi ulcer pain itna bad jata hai that it penetrates to the back. Dard back mein zaroor tha but it was his ulcer bleeding"

Menaka intervened and asked "Is he better now? Bleeding.. has it stopped?"

"Nahi. Abhi blood transfuse kar rahe hai aur acid suppressing drugs taki heal ho sake thoda. Blood pressure bhaut low hai and pulse is too high, breathing  bhi..(he sighed) sudden blood loss se body shock mein hai. Jaise hi uske vitals thode stable hote hain we'll take him for endoscopy, usi waqt we can stop it completely. Filhal it'll be risky. Agar usse bhi nahi ruka to surgery is the only option left."

"Doctor Gupta is here. He wants to see you in your cabin" said a nurse who came running.

"Great! I'll be there in a minute" he said to the nurse and turned to speak to Masi, "Shardaji, Dr. Gupta best endoscopists mein se hain, maine call kiya tha. He is here, I'll see you in sometime. Please take care of Kukki and yourself. (He looked at Menaka) Menaka, dhyaan rakho yaha. Take them to the lounge if possible" he said and turned to the ICU door and came down on his knees to touch Kukki's hand but she further squeezed herself at his slightest touch. Rastogi sighed and left for his cabin.

"Masi aap sambhaliye khud ko. Aap lounge mein thoda rest kijiye, please. I'll stay here with Kukki" said Menaka.

"Nahi hum Kukki ko chhod kar nahi jayenge. Jab wo uthegi, uske sath hi jayenge." said Masi and leaned back in the chair.

Menaka turned back to look at Kukki. Taking slow steps she reached Kukki and came down on her knees. Masi had told her how Kukki resisted everyone's touch, and just saw her reaction to Rastogi's touch even in sleep but she could not bear Kukki in that condition. Hesitatingly she extended her hand and brushed her fingers over her little ones, like she had touched when Kukki was born. No reaction from Kukki gave her confidence and she held her hand and waited looking at Kukki. She was still sleeping. 

Menaka's hands traced her tear stained face and tears rolled down from her own eyes. Menaka couldn't hold herself anymore and she raised both her hands to lift Kukki from the floor. It was easier than she thought, Kukki made no resistance in her deep sleep. Masi was a bit surprised but relieved to see that Kukki was no more on the floor but in comfort of a Menaka's embrace.

Menaka lifted her from the floor and took her in her arms only to realise all her clothes were wet and so was the floor. It broke Menaka's heart and she held her close to her heart. 'What have you done to yourself baby?' Whispered Menaka as she rubbed her back and showered her with kisses. She wrapped her stole around her.

"Chandu.." Menaka called him in a low voice. "Hospital staff se 2 fresh towel aur ek blanket le aao. Aur Ghar pe juhi ab bhi kaam karti hai?"

"Yes Mam.." said Chandu.

"Juhi ko kaho Kukki aur Masi ke kuch comfortable kapde pack kar de ek bag mein aur driver ko kaho jaldi jaaye aur bag aur thoda kuch khane ke liye le aaye.. jaldi" 

"Yess Mam.." said Chandu. But he stopped midtrack and looked at Menaka and said, "Thank you Mam, good to see you here…" 

Menaka gave a tired smile and asked him to make it fast. "Masi, ab lounge chaliye, Kukki needs a wash.." said Menaka and Masi followed them to the nearby private lounge. Chandu also reached with towels and a blanket. 

Menaka took Kukki inside the attached restroom and made her lie down at a bench. She couldn't control her tears as she took off Kukki's wet clothes. She kissed Kukki as she wiped her clean with a warm towel, Kukki opened her eyes a little and mumbled "Papa.." 

Menaka, quickly wrapped her in a fresh towel and caressed her face with the back of her hand and just whispered into her ears, "Papa will be fine, baby. He'll see you soon.. don't you worry. Go back to sleep"  'He has a bad habit of scaring everyone' she thought as she took her in her lap and sat on the bench covering her with the blanket. Caressing her hair, she kissed and tapped her. 

6.15am

With Kukki's sleepy frame resting over her, Menaka felt at peace. Feeling Kukki being so close to her was like a dream come true. 'I always wanted to hold you this close baby, but not like this' She sat leaning against the wall, with Kukki against her, when Masi's voice startled her. 

"Bilkul waise dikh rahi hai jaise first time nurse ne uske born hone ke baad tumhe diya tha. Bas tab ekdam chhoti si thi" said Masi standing at the door looking at the two.

Menaka just looked at the sleeping figure in her arms. "Ab bhi to chhoti si hai Masi. Par kya haal kar liya hai isne apna. Abhi bhi Rishabh ka naam le rahi thi"

"Bhaut pyaar karti hai usey aur Rishabh isey. ICU jane se pehle itni mushkil se usne haath chhoda Kukki ka. Ho bhi kyun na, tumhe to pata hi hai inka bond to Kukki ke born hone se pehle hi itna strong ho gaya tha. Aur fir jo kuch hua, tabse these two have been inseparable. They need each other to survive. He can't bear a single tear in her eyes" said Masi.

"I can understand Masi, I wish I could be a part of that. Aap logo ke jane ke baad kya hua wo mujhe nahi pata, isliye mere liye to Kukki wo chhoti si newborn baby hi thi. Ab bhi waise hi lagti hai mujhe.."

"Isey tumhare pass dekhke lagta hai jaise ab bhi tumhari touch pehchanti hai." Said Masi and sat beside Menaka. 

Menaka chuckled and said, "Masi ye thought ki Kukki mera touch janti hai, sunne mein jitna beautiful hai, shayad utna hi impractical bhi. Mushkil se 10-12 days thi Kukki mere pass jab Rishabh isey leke chala gaya tha. Utni chhoti bacchi ko kya mera touch yaad hoga. Kukki itna thak chuki hai ki ab shayad resist karne ki energy bhi nahi hai uske pass, isliye itne aram se mere pass hai."

"Aisa nahi hai Menaka, warna hum sabke pass kyu nahi aayi? Dekha na tumhare uthane se pehle Rastogiji ko kya reaction diya tha."

"Masi, ye sab kehke please don't give me any hope. Rishabh aur Kukki ki life mein apni position bhaut pehle accept kar chuki hu. Bas dukh hai ki jo bhi thoda kuch tha wo bhi khatm ho gaya." Menaka quickly wiped her tears.

"Menaka.. kisi ne bhi jaan boojh ke nahi kiya tha.." Masi hugged her from the side.

"Knowingly or unknowingly jo bhi ho. Fact ye hai that I promised Rishabh I'll keep Kukki safe, jab wo trip par gaya tha. Wo to jana bhi chahta tha. Na chahte hue bhi I put her in danger. Rishabh sahi kehta hai sab meri wajah se hua. Kam se kam ussey ek baar to baat karni chahiye thi mujhe, to shayad aaj bhi sab theek hota. Kukki ki family complete hoti Masi.. Ab main chahu to bhi kuch nahi kar sakti.." 

"Bhuat miss karti ho Kukki ko?" said Masi, startling Menaka.

"I can't express it in words.. sirf kukki hi nahi, sab kuch bhaut miss karti hu Masi.. Ab aap log aur Adi bhi wapas aa gaya hai to it feels good. Pehle jaisa nahi hai but something is better than nothing.. I am not expecting much Masi, sabke aas pass reh saku, Kukki se mil saku..bas." she said, caressing Kukki back.

Menaka looked at blood stains on Masi's saree. "Masi ye.."

"Rishabh ka hai..shayad ghar ya car mein.. hum wash kar lete hai.." said Masi, and walked towards the basin.

"Maine aap ke liye bhi fresh change mangwa diya hai. John aa jayega to aap bhi change kar lijiye.." said Menaka, worried for Rishabh. 

Masi looked at her worried face through the mirror and asked "Kya baat hai?"

"I am a bit tensed about Rishabh, Uncle ne kaha na ab tak stable nahi hai.. kaise ho gaya ye sab.. aur jab Kukki uthegi to kaise.. usey milne ki zidd karegi to kaise sambhalenge Masi??" Menaka looked back at Masi. 

Masi walked back to Menaka and with her hand on her shoulder, she said "Jab uthegi tab sambhal lenge. Jab tak yahan akele the to samajh nahi aa rha tha. But hum milkar sambhal lenge dono ko.."

Masi heard a knock on the door and she half opened it. 

"Mam, Kukki baby ke liye fresh clothes" said Chandu and gave Masi the bag. 

Masi took the bag and closed the door. Masi and Kukki had both changed. Menaka laid Kukki on the comfortable couch and covered her with a blanket. "Masi aap yahan baithiye and let me check on Rishabh. Chandu Masi ko kuch khila dena.." she instructed and left.

8.00am

Outside Rastogi's Cabin

Maneuvering through several cabins, Menaka reached his cabin and knocked. He was with 2 other doctors discussing something. Rastogi came out to meet her.

"Is he doing any better Uncle?" asked Menaka. 

"Not much yet. Minor improvement hai, bleeding has not stopped but it isn't getting worse. Vitals have also improved a bit. 1-2 hours mein we'll go for another scan. If all goes well, we go ahead with the procedure in the next 5-6 hours, bas wahi discuss kar rahe hain. Main aney hi wala tha yaha se finish karke.." said Rastogi. 

"Just make him better Uncle, Kukki needs him" said Menaka and hugged him. 

"We are doing our best and I promise he'll be fine. Wo stubborn hai to hum bhi kam nahi hai. Now stop worrying and go back to Kukki and Shardaji.. I'll come and see you all in a while. Let me finish with them" said Rastogi, looking at his team inside.

"Can I see him once?" Menaka looked at him with pleading eyes. 

"Not now, give us some time, okay.. Go" said Rastogi and disappeared inside his cabin.

Menaka passed by the ICU and saw a nurse leaving his cabin. "Did he wake up?" Menaka asked.

"No Mam, not yet" said the nurse and left.

Menaka kept her hands over Kukki's imprints over glass and whispered "please be okay Rishabh, your princess needs you." She stood there outside the room for sometime before making her way back to the lounge and found both Masi and Kukki sleeping. She sat next to Kukki and caressed her hair. 

10.30am

Menaka sat on a small couch lost in her thoughts with het eyes glued to Kukki sleeping wrapped in Masi's arms. She felt a little tense as Kukki was trying to wake up, waking up Masi too. Kukki opened her eyes and found herself in a new environment. For a few moments she looked around at the room, trying to remember where she was. She recalled everything and her eyes pooled again. She threw away the blanket and got up to run out of the room and Menaka followed her. Kukki somehow found her way to the ICU and pushed open the door, but Rishabh wasn't there. Menaka stopped her at the doorway, not letting her go inside. 

"Papa.. where is he? Did he go away?" Kukki said, feeling restless ready to break down again. 

"Shhh baby, it's alright!" Menaka looked at Kukki's worried face. She got down on her knees and lovingly cupped her face. She was warm. "Kukki..remember me? We met in the office the other day?" Kukki nodded with tears in her eyes.

"Papa.." she said pointing at the door where Rishabh was taken by the doctors last night but wasn't there.  

"Shh… stop crying baby.. papa is fine. Doctors have taken him to another room for some tests. Rastogi uncle hain na wo unko ekdum se theek kar denge"

"He is not gone??" Kukki asked, looking at her for  an assurance. 

"He is not going anywhere. Jaise hi wo theek ho jayenge, he will be back here. Don't worry. Okay!" Said Menaka, taking her in her embrace. She was worried because Kukki had a slight temperature.

"Promise.."

"Pakka wala promise.." Menaka kissed the crown of her hair and rubbed her back. "Aise rote nahi hain.." Menaka wiped all her tears. She couldn't bear Kukki in so much distress and thought how could she keep her calm. She knew if she stressed like this, her fever would get worse too. She realised what no one could do for her, Rishabh would.

"Kukki aapko pata hai, jab aap soye the to Papa ne kaha tha Kukki ko bilkul bhi rona nahi hai aur rest karna hai till he comes back" said Menaka.

"He said that??" 

"He did. He said Kukki must wait in the lounge with Dadi Masi and strictly said no crying. He said something like 'it hurts.." Menaka pretended forgetting.

"It hurts him the most, when I cry.." Kukki completed the sentence for her.

"Exactly, he said that.."

Kukki quickly wiped her face and ran back to the lounge and sat next to Masi on the couch and lowered her head on the cushion. Masi was a bit surprised looking at her. Menaka entered the room and said to herself 'I am very sorry for lying Kukki, but I had no other way. Waise bhi Rishabh would have said the same if he woke up..'

"Masi Kukki ko fever hai, main medicines leke aati hu, aap tab tak kuch khila dijiye" said Menaka and left.

When Menaka returned but Kukki still laid down with her hands crossed under her face and Masi was pleading to her to drink some milk.

"Aapne kuch khaya?" Asked Menaka.

"I am not hungry…" said Kukki.

Menaka pulled out a chocolate from her bag. "Ye bhi nahi? 

Kukki said nothing and looked away.

Menaka looked at Masi and said, "Masi aapko yaad hai na ye chocolate Kukki ke Papa-Mamm (she paused), Papa, Adi uncle sabki favourite hai"

Masi just nodded, caressing Kukki's hair.

Kukki was a bit intrigued and she looked at them through the corner of her eyes. "But Papa doesn't like chocolates" said Kukki in the most innocent voice. Masi went away to help Chandu with breakfast she had called for Kukki. 

Menaka smiled and said "Ab like nahi karte honge but this was your Mama-Papa's favourite.." Menaka mentally cursed herself for saying it outloud.

Kukki was quick to catch on her words. "You knew my Mamma?" Kukki sat up straight and looked at her expectantly.

A thin layer of tears formed in Menaka's eyes as she heard Kukki's question. "Bhaut acche se.." Menaka replied with a light smile.

"Mamma was your friend?"

"Yess.." she blurted before she knew. "Right, we were friends.. closest friends.."

"Ye Aapki bhi favourite hai?" Asked Kukki, looking at the chocolate in Menaka's hand.

"Of course isliye to humesha mere pass rehti hai.. You want to know a secret? (Menaka was quite successful in grabbing her attention) aapki Mamma ne hi sabko ye chocolates try karwaye the and all loved it."

"Papa ko bhi?" asked Kukki.

"Ohh yes.. pehle he said a bigggg NOO (she raised her hands), but then he liked it, in fact he loved it (she said recalling the incident). Aap bhi try karo, you might like it too.." said Menaka and gave her the chocolate.

"Thank you. When can I see him?" Kukki was back to her question.

"Soon, very soon.. but uske pehle aapko breakfast finish karke ye chhoti si medicine leni hai.. aapko fever hai.." 

"Can you call Prerna??" asked Kukki. 

"Your friend Prerna.." Kukki nodded.

"That's a good idea. Unko bhi ye chocolate try karni chahie" Menaka removed her phone from the bag and dialling Prerna's number she gave the phone to Kukki. "Aap hi bula lo apni friend ko" She got up to get some milk for Kukki. 

'The number you have dialled is switched off, please try later

Prerna's Apartment

Prerna's broken phone laid on the floor as she was blankly staring at the family picture on the side stool, lying on her bed. 

'I really meant it Ms. Sharma, wish you had given me a chance to show that I meant it. 

'May be we could have saved ou.. your child

'How could you have done anything Mr. Bajaj, it was my responsibility that I failed miserably at'

Lost in her chain of thoughts, Prerna had no wish to get up from the bed but she finally dragged herself ready for the school visit scheduled at 12.00 noon. 

Lounge

"Switched off" said Kukki.

"She must be busy. We'll try after sometime. Tab tak aap ye milk finish kar lo.." said Menaka, but Kukki was quick to refuse.

Menaka sat in front of her with a pout and said in a sad tone "Acha.. koi baat nahi Masi, when he gets up and finds a weak Kukki to pata nahi kitna sad honge."

Kukki quickly took glass from her hand and finished the whole thing in a go. Both Menaka and Masi knew she was hungry. 

"Now he won't be sad" she announced, keeping the glass back on the coffee table. 

"Thode sad honge because he said, breakfast bhi finish karna hai" Menaka produced a plate with her favourite cheese sandwich. 

"If I finish this, will you take me to him?" Kukki said in a low voice, looking at the sandwich and then into Menaka's eyes.

Menaka looked at Masi on her side and then back at Kukki and kept the plate aside. Holding Kukki's hands in hers, she kissed them and said, "I promise as soon as doctors allow us, I'll take you to your dad. Ab manenge aap baat?" 

Kukki nodded in agreement.

Masi was quietly watching them with a faint smile on her tired face. 'Ab bhi itna pyaar karti hai Menaka Kukki ko.'

"You are the best daughter in the world, you know that? Ab aap Dadi Masi ke sath baitho, aur ye sandwich finish karo, I'll get your magic medicine?" 

"Okay..." Kukki pulled her hand "Thank you for the chocolate"

Menaka came down on her knees and said "you are welcome my princess" 

"Papa calls me Princess too"

"I know he does. Aap unki princess hi to ho.. aapko pata hai, jab aap born bhi nahi hue the tabse Papa wanted a little princess like you."

"Can you tell me more about Mom?" Asked Kukki.

"We'll talk about it, but only if you finish your sandwich and take this little medicine and you are better. Deal?" Menaka raised her hand.

"Deal" said Kukki and shook hands with her.

AMRA HQ

2.30pm

Prerna dragged her feet to her workstation tired and exhausted after a sleepless night and long meeting with the school staff she had visited early in the noon. She opened her laptop and removed her files from the drawer. But her headache made it difficult for her to concentrate. Glimpse of her conversation with Rishabh kept coming back to her, putting her on the edge. Not of able to do anything she felt a sudden urge to see Kukki andd more importantly him. She called reception to see if Rishabh was in office but he wasn't. She felt frustrated not finding him in the office but also relieved. 'Acha hua nahin aaye, he should rest. He was so restless last night' she thought, and tried to focus on her work, but her mind was lost.

3.30pm

Kukki was sleeping inside the lounge post lunch under the careful watch of Chandu, while Masi and Menaka were with Rastogi outside the ICU. Rishabh was ready to be shifted to the endoscopy room for the procedure. 

"Shardaji, his latest scans have shown some positive signs and so is Dr. Gupta. Aap tension mat lijiye, we should be able to fix the bleeding." Announced Rastogi.

"Aap abhi le ja rahe hain?"asked Masi 

"Haan 10 minutes mein.." said Rastogi. 

"Hum dekh sakte hain usey ek baar?" Asked Masi.

"Jayiye, I'll be back in 5 minutes" said Rastogi and went away.

"Masi aap chaliye main 1 minute mein aayi" said Menaka and left.

Lounge

"Hey tiny angel, wake up. Aapko Papa se milna tha na?" Said Menaka, caressing her hair. Kukki opened her eyes as soon as she heard about him. 

"We can see him?" Said Kukki sitting upright, rubbing her eyes.

"Haan, but wo abhi bhi so rahe hain and we can only meet him for 5 minutes. I hope that's okay?"

"Please take me to him. I want to see him" said Kukki.

"Come, let's go.." 

Menaka lowered Kukki at the doorway and Kukki slowly moved towards him. She stopped before the spot where she had seen the blood on the floor and went to the other side of the bed instead. Masi already sat on a stool next to Rishabh, still hooked to the machines. IV lines infusing saline and blood into his body. 

Menaka stood next to his bed while Kukki traced his face and the tube running down his nose to aid in breathing, tucked behind his ears. She carefully squeezed his hand a little. 

"Is it okay, if I hugged him once?" Kukki looked at Masi, waiting for her permission.

"Yes it is, if it's a light hug" Kukki looked at Rastogi as he walked inside. He lifted her and put her on the bed "a light one" he repeated. 

Kukki wrapped her hands around his neck and kissed him over his forehead. "Be okay" she whispered in his ear. Her fever made her movements slow and sluggish. She rested her ear over his chest and it calmed her like always. Her hand stopped at his stomach and she seemed to remember something. 

"Princess, see Papa will give a kiss and all your pain will be gone" said Rishabh, placing a kiss over a small cut over her hand.

Kukki lifted her head and kissed him over his abdomen and she heard Rastogi's voice.

"We need to take him now. Aap humko best of luck nahi bolenge" said Rastogi lifting Kukki off the bed. He checked her for temperature and she was still warm. "Nurse, fever ke liye ek injection de dena" said Rastogi and Kukki was back with Menaka.

"All the best" said Kukki, not ready to tear her gaze off her father. He looked weak, like someone sucked the life out of him, in just a few hour's time.

Kukki jumped off in Menaka's arms as the gurney made a move, taking her most precious possession away from her. Soon he disappeared out of her gaze, for how long she had no idea. She didn't even feel a pinch when meds were injected into her arm as her head rested on Menaka's arms still looking at the door. Menaka's rocking movement and slow taps on her back were putting her back to sleep 

4.00pm

After spending a long hour at work with lost concentration she decided to go up on the 23rd floor to grab some files from Tanvi's office. While she was waiting for Tanvi's associate to help her with the files, her gaze fell at his empty cabin, and everything played like a movie. 'I wish he was here' Her chain of thoughts got interrupted by Nidhi's voice who had just come to her desk not very far from where she stood. She looked a bit tense and worried than any other day. 

"Mr. Malhotra, I am afraid but I won't be able to schedule a meeting with Mr. Bajaj for a week. He won't be available. Can I get back to you next week and then we can talk about it?... Great! Thank You!" Nidhi ended the call and she rushed to Rishabh's cabin. Prerna followed her. 

'Not available for a week? Is he going somewhere?' And then events from last night flashed in front of her eyes and worst thoughts crowded her brain. 'Is he okay? Of course, he is' Prerna  couldn't help but follow Nidhi to his cabin.

"Ms. Nayak.. do you have a minute?" She asked, keeping her anxiety to herself. 

"Yes, tell me" said Nidhi.

"I wanted to see if you reschedule my weekly meeting to 3.30 tomorrow instead of Friday? Can you tell me if he is available?" Prerna asked, hoping Nidhi would say something.

"Ms. Sharma, nothing this week. He is not available? In fact I was about to write to you about meeting cancellation" said Nidhi, in an apologetic tone arranging files on his desk.

"Is he busy?" Questioned Prerna.

"He may not be visiting office week Ms. Sharma, that's why?" Nidhi replied, still busy with her work.

"Why? Is he traveling" asked Prerna. Only thought that ran in the back of her mind was 'I hope he is fine..' she thought, worried.

"Ms. Sharma, I am really sorry but I can not disclose his schedule as I am not supposed to. All I can tell you is that he is not available this week and even for next week I can only confirm once I hear from him." Said Nidhi, sounding a little stern this time.

"Ms. Nayak, I understand but I have something very important to discuss. You know both Aditya and Tanvi are not available, I am a bit stuck. I urgently need to discuss it with Mr. Bajaj. Please help me.." desperation began to  reflect in her tone. Her patience was wearing off.

Nidhi sighed and looked at her, "In that case you have to figure out a way to find a solution on your own or wait till Mr. Adhiraj is back because Mr. Bajaj won't be available for some time.."

"What's wrong? Is he okay??" She finally blurted out not able to contain herself.

"Ms. Sharma, no matter how many times you rephrase your question, my answer still remains the same. I hope you find the solution to your problem. If there is anything that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. Now if you'll please excuse me.." Nidhi took steps towards the door.

Prerna had lost all her patience and she spoke in a slightly louder voice. "Nidhi wait!" Nidhi was surprised, how she called by her first name almost in a commanding tone. She looked back at her not liking it much.

"WHERE IS HE?" Prerna demanded, her tired eyes were as wide they could.

"Ms. Sharma, I understand you are worried about your project, but let me make it very clear. I take my job very seriously, if I am not supposed to disclose his personal details or whereabouts to employees or anyone who is not authorized to know, then I am not going to do it at any cost"

"Who said I am not authorized, I am not just an employee, I am his wi…" she stopped right there, realising what she was about to do. Nidhi looked at her with questioning eyes, irritated and not able to understand her reaction. "I mean I am the Project Manager..I have so many responsibilities.. I deserve to know" she completed in a lower tone.

"Ms. Sharma, if you haven't realised yet this place doesn't value positions as much as it values work. There is a reason that there is just a name outside this cabin and not a designation. Secondly, if my job asks me to not tell something to even Mr. Bajaj, I'd do that too. Though your tone wasn't right, I would still like to believe that you didn't mean to be rude, because I am equally disturbed but let's focus back on our work, because there is a lot that we need to do to keep running this place even in his absence" she said, and walked away to the door.

"Ms. Nayak" Nidhi stopped at the half open door, hearing her voice again.

"I am sorry for crossing my line.. I didn't mean to hurt you.." she took slow steps in Nidhi's direction. Nidhi's expressions softened looking at Prerna, she was genuinely concerned. "I just wanted to know if he is fine.. that's it? Are you not allowed to say that either.. Is he okay?" Prerna looked at her with pleading eyes.

Nidhi took a deep sigh and said "No. He isn't. Take care" and she left.

Prerna's heart dropped straight into her stomach. 'What could have happened?" Flshes from Pune came back to haunt her. 'No.. aisa kuch nahi hai, he is just.. STOP WASTING TIME AND FIND OUT IF YOU ARE NOT SURE' Her thoughts troubled her as she came down to her floor forgetting the files that she had gone for in the first place. 

She reached her workstation and like a possessed person, looked through her bag for her phone but it was broken. 'Aut todo cheezein..' She rushed to the washroom to splash some water over her sleepy face as she needed to think a lot. 'Nidhi, won't tell you a thing. Nidhi I love you for your sincerity but not now. Kuch aur socho.. his doctor?'

She paced around the washroom trying to remember his doctor's name she had spoken to in Pune. "Dr. Rohtagi.. no it wasn't Rohtagi.. Rastogi? God, why can't I remember his name. Rastogi it is..". She quickly went to her desk and looked for Dr. Rastogi online and a long list with the same name popped up on the screen. She leaned back in her chair, rubbing her forehead with frustration "I don't even know his full name. How am I supposed to find him. Think Prerna.. think of something else.."

She picked up the landline and asked if they could help her connect to Rastogi, but they upfrontly refused in the name of company guidelines. She banged the receiver down, startling everyone around her as they had never seen her losing her cool. "To hell with these guidelines, who made these in the first place. I am gonna have to change them all. And how are you going to do that, you are not the owner (a contradicting and mocking voice popped up in her brain) Ohh you better take a break, I have an important matter to take care of. Don't have time to argue with your logic." clueless she kept blurting things to shut her inner voice, while her brain overworked to look for a way to know about him. 

She dialed the reception again and asked them to connect her to Mr. Mehra. But they told her that he boarded a flight to Mumbai about half an hour back and she could only speak once he landed in the next hour or so. 'Ohh God…' 

She looked at her broken phone on the and went to Prajakta to inform her that she was leaving early, so she could buy a new phone. 

"Why do you want to go out? Go to the tech department and get yourself a new handset" said Prajakta.

"I can do that?" Asked Prerna, surprised a bit.

"Of course, let me call and inform them. You can go and collect it from the 22nd floor" Prerna was quick to rush towards the lifts. Within minutes she had a new phone and put her sim card in it. She then called Aditya and Tanvi but they were out of reach. Restlessly she waited for Mr. Mehra to land, her last and only hope. 

BREACH CANDY HOSPITAL

4.30pm

Menaka was impatiently waiting inside Rastogi's cabin to come back. It was about an hour they took him for the procedure. 

5.00pm

Prerna dialed the reception again and asked them to connect her to Mr. Mehra. To her relief she was connected this time. 

"Mr. Mehra, Prerna here. Could you please help me with your number? I need to talk to you urgently. Can't talk from my desk. Please" Mehra shared his number and she dialed him and rushed to a vacant meeting room.

"Mr. Mehra, Mr. Bajaj? How is he? Nidhi told me he isn't okay. Kya hua hai? I tried to ask her but she won't tell me. Please aap to bata dijiye?"

"Mam calm down. Ms. Nayak is right, Sir was rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night because of severe gastric bleeding. Mujhe bhi dopahar ko pata chala and I booked the first flight."

"What?" Prerna covered her mouth and dropped on the chair with shock. "How? Is he okay?" Is all she could whisper.

"Mam, jab phone aya tha tab tak to theek nahi the, abhi pata chalega. I am reaching there in half an hour. I'll inform you.." said Mehra.

"No no.. you have to tell me, which hospital? I want to see him too, NOW!!" She said.

"Breach Candy Hospital..aap."

Prerna did not let him complete as hearing the name of the hospital was enough for her. "Thank you Mr. Mehra.. I am leaving now". Picking her bag from the table, she was out on the road within minutes to hire a cab. "Breach Candy Hospital, jaldi" GPS Showed 15 minutes, giving her much needed relief.

As she restlessly sat in the cab Kukki's outburst flashed in front of her eyes. 'Kukki. Wo kaisi hogi.. Ohh God, how Masi must be managing it all alone. I should have been with my baby.. I am never there when she needs me the most. How do you even manage that every single time Prerna Sharma' she thought. "Bhaiyya thoda jaldi kijiye please" she requested the driver.

BREACH CANDY HOSPITAL

5.15pm

"Excuse me, where can I find Mr. Rish.." she stopped as her phone rang in her hand; Mr. Mehra's name flashed on his screen. She moved aside to talk. "Mam aapne bina sune phone disconnect kar diya. I hope you haven't asked for him at the reception, yet"

"I was about to.. I am at the hospital"

"Ohh!! Thank God, warna problem ho jati. Aap ek kaam kijiye, entry gate 4 pe mujhe miliye, I'll be there in 10 minutes. Aise aapko koi andar nahi jane dega. 10 mins at the entry gate 4" he said and disconnected the phone. 

"Excuse me Miss, you were looking for someone?" Said the receptionist.

Prerna turned to look at her still confused with what Mehra said. "No, I am good. Thanks" said Prerna and rushed out to the entry gate  4 impatiently waiting for Mr. Mehra. 

A car stopped right in front and she found Mehra as he rolled the glass down. He asked her to sit in the car. Prerna was quick to take the passenger's seat. 

"Mr. Mehra aapne mujhe reception pr kyun roka?"

"Mam, Bajaj Sir is in the private wing. Agar yaha kisi ko pata chal jata to poora media peeche pad jata and Mr. Bajaj is very particular about his personal life. It's always kept away from media radar, isliye to kisi ko kuch khaas pata nahi hai unke bare mein. Ms. Nayak ne bhi isliye bataya nahi aapko kuch"

Prerna recalled how Anurag and she herself struggled to find anything about him back in Calcutta, until he revealed himself.

Soon the car stopped outside a huge building in the same premise but away from where she was. She could notice the difference already. This area hardly had anyone other than armed security staff, checking everyone. Mehra gave his keys to a staff member for parking and she quietly followed him.

"Ward 1" said Mehra to one of the receptionists. The place was eerily quiet.

"Hello Sir.." greeted the receptionist and looked at Prerna.

"She is with me. I need a temporary pass for her" said Mehra.

"For how long?" Asked the receptionist.

"Till he is discharged" Prerna looked at Mr. Mehra with thankful eyes for helping her so much. Mehra just responded with a smile.

"Name?"

"Prerna Sharma Ba (he paused).. Prerna Sharma it is" said Mehra and Prerna looked at him nervously, feeling a bit awkward. 

'Prerna Sharma Ba' she herself could not complete the name, not even in her mind. 'I am possibly the only wife who is the biggest stranger in her husband's life.. Husband? Really? Did you ever consider him as your husband. Wasn't it Anurag always? Ohh will you shut up."

"Did you say something?" Asked Mehra.

"No.. nothing.. I was just.. ummm..nothing" Prerna fumbled with her words.

The lady at the reception came to her rescue "Ms. Sharma, here is your access card" take a right at the end of this lobby for Ward 1. Prerna thanked and followed Mr. Mehra. There was heavy checking before they were even given the access to Ward. 

5.45pm

The Lounge

"Did he come back?" asked Kukki sipping on the soup that Masi fed her.

"Abhi Menaka check karne gayi hai. Unhe aane do, we'll get to know. Tab tak aao ye soup finish karo" said Masi.

That's when the door opened and Menaka stood there with a smile on her face.

"Did he come back?" Kukki's eyes were eagerly waiting to hear the answer.

Menaka took her in her arms and said twirling her a little "He did and the doctor said he is so much better. But we can not meet him yet" 

"All those hurting tubes are gone?" Kukki asked.

"No.. the tubes will be there for some time. They'll help him get healthier soon" Menaka explained so she was ready when she met him next.

Masi folded her hands in a little prayer to thank God and asked "Wo theek hai ab?" 

"Masi uncle ne kaha next 2-3 days thode crucial hain because aise cases mein rebleed ke chances high rehte hai but for now he is out of danger. He is back in ICU, raat ko shayad hum mil sakte hain" Menaka touched Kukki's head with hers and said "You can meet him again in a few hours. Happy??"

"Yess.." Kukki Kissed Menaka and wrapped her hands around her neck.

"Chalo phir jaldi se soup finish karte hain aur medicine bhi. Aa jao" Menaka made her sit on the couch and fed her.

6.00pm

After heavy checking and signing a non disclosure agreement, finally Prerna was given the access. 

"Mr. Mehra, itna sab kuch?" asked Prerna.

"It's important Mam. Even the hospital staff has to. It's for privacy and safety measures." Said Mehra.

"Patients yaha ayenge to ye sab?" Prerna asked as it took them so much time.

"Mam, this is for visitors. For patients and family, there is a separate direct entry. Aap yaha as a family member nahi aayi hai isliye mujhe yahan se ana pada. Come" said Mehra.

As soon as Prerna saw Ward 1 outside a huge glass door, she felt all the way more nervous. She didn't know if she should have come. Everything was cold and silent and strange. She could feel hair on her hand raise and a little shiver in her body because of cold or nervousness she didn't know.

Mr. Mehra used his card and the door lock beep echoed in the vacant lobby. Soon they were in a comparatively warm area with some kind of sounds she could hear from a distance. 

"Mam, aap yahan baithiye.. I'll just go and check" Prerna nodded and looked around to make sense of things around, as the ward in itself looked like a mini hospital. She walked around waiting for Mr. Mehra and to keep herself warm. 

Lounge

Finishing the soup, Kukki remembered their conversation and she asked "You said you'll tell me more about my Mom. Papa said she loved me.." Kukki's eyes scanned her face in a hope for some answers. "Nobody tells me why she left?" 

Menaka's smile faded and she hugged Kukki in a tight embrace and closed her eyes behind her back "she did baby, Mamma loved you a lot.."

"Then why did she leave me and Papa too?" Kukki asked.

"She didn't want to Kukki, she never wanted to.. she fought a lot to be with you and Papa but…" Menaka stopped as she felt a hand on her shoulder and she knew it was Masi. She cleared her throat and broke her hug with Kukki.

Masi's look was enough to know that she needed to stop. She looked at a puzzled Kukki and said "Princess, always know this.. your Mamma loved you a lot.. and your Papa too.. wo aapke pass nahi hain but phir bhi aapse bhuat pyaar karti hain, bhuat sara pyaar" said Menaka and went out of the room and leaned against the wall. 'What were you about to do Menaka? Control yourself. It's not for you to tell anything.. only person who can is Rishabh, aur koi nahi.. not till he wants. (She sighed and closed her eyes) I wish koi hota jo ye sab resolve kar deta. Hum sabki life jo itni uljhi hui hai usey theek kar deta.." 

'Menaka! Aap theek hain? Kya theek karna hai, mujhe batayiye" Menaka heard a voice and she opened her eyes with surprise only to find Prerna in front of her, looking all worried and dull. Prerna had found her way to the lounge, walking around waiting for Mr. Mehra.

Menaka looked at her like she was expecting someone else  "Prerna tum? You sounded like Ara.." she whispered.

"Menaka, aap theek hain?" Prerna asked again. 

Menaka gave her a faint smile and said "I am good, just a little.. leave it. Prerna.. acha hua you came, Kukki was asking for you."

Prerna looked at her quizzically "Mujhe abhi pata chala Mr. Bajaj yaha hai and… How is he now?"

"He is still in the ICU, under observation but out of danger. Kukki andar hai, go meet her, She'd be happy seeing you. I'll see you in a while" said Menaka and she went away leaving Prerna outside the lounge 

Hesitatingly Prerna knocked on the door and entered the room. Kukki saw her and she ran upto her. "Prerna Mamma.." said Kukki and wrapped her arms around her legs. Prerna took her in arms and kissed her. "Aap theek ho?" Kukki nodded.

"Masi aap kaisi hain?" asked Prerna, looking at Masi.

"Hum theek hain. Tum yahan?" Asked Masi.

"Maine Mr. Mehra ko kisi kaam se phone kiya to pata chala and I came here" said Prerna.

Masi was not very happy seeing her there but she didn't say when she looked at Kukki clinging on to her.

"Kukki tumhare bare mein pooch rahi thi. Tum yaha ho kuch der?" asked Mas.

"Ji" she replied. Prerna coukd see how exhausted masi was and so was Kukki in her arms.

"Tum Kukki ke sath baitho, hum abhi aate hain" said Masi and left the room.

Prerna grabbed a seat on the couch and broke the hug with Kukki. "I tried calling you so many times Mamma. But you never took my call" said Kukki.

"Baby Mamma ka phone break ho gaya tha, abhi shaam ko new mila. Jaise hi Mamma ko pata chala wo bhaag ke yaha aa gayi apni angel se milne" said Prerna, tightning her arms around Kukki.

"Aapko to fever hai beta.. aapne medicine li?" Asked Prerna.

"I did, I need Papa.. unko bhaut pain ho rha tha. Aur itna blood tha waha Mamma.. I was so scared" said Kukki and hugged her tight.

"Ohh baby.. he'll be fine. Aapne hi to Mamma se kaha tha your dad is the strongest. Remember  Don't you worry..

"He is weak Mamma. I got so scared that he'll go away" said kukki.

"He'll be fine soon! And don't be scared, Mamma aa gai na ab aapke pass" said Prerna, rocking her a little.

"But you will go away.." Kukki murmurred.

"What if I tell you she won't. Then.." Prerna didn't wait even for a second before replying.

"You will go back to Anurag Uncle, won't you"

"I am not going anywhere. Mamma loves you a lot." Prerna wanted to make her believe.

"Everyone says they love me. Papa said my Mom loved me. You say you lovr me. But why noone stays with me?" Kukki wanted to cry but she didn't as her father did not want her to. "You are Anurag Uncle's friend, you took so much care when he was hurt. And you stayed with him, not me. Can't you be friends with Papa too? So you could stay..People have more than one friend all the time. Why can't you be his friend and stay with me?" Kukki looked at her face.

"We are not friends because.."

"Is it because he tried to hurt your friend?" asked Kukki.

"No baby.. aisa nahi hai" Kukki's questions keft her speechless.

"He is not a bad man Mamma.." Kukki almost cried.

'Aap meri beti ki Mom hain. Aur main aapko yakeen dilana chahta hu ki.. meri beti ki rago mein.. kisi bure insaan ka khoon nahi daud raha hai' 

"He made a mistake like you did sending him to jail. He was angry like you were. He said sorry too. He is not a bad person Mamma.." 

Prerna held her tight "I know Kukki… I know he is not bad. Bad to Mamma hai jo sabko hurt karti hai aur sorry bhi nahi kehti.."

Outside ICU

Masi was walking around the corridor, looking for Menaka and found her on a chair outside the ICU with her head lowered in her hands.

"Humne tumhe Kukki ke samne isliye roka kyunki Rishabh ne Kukki ko kuch bataya nahi hai.. I think ye sab wahi bataye to behtar hoga, jab bhi wo ready hai" said Masi and sat next to her.

Menaka looked at Masi and said "I understand Masi, I just got carried away. Purani baatein yaad aa gayi thi.. Thank you for stopping me. Aapne sahi kaha Rishabh hi sab bataye wahi behtar hai.." 

"Rishabh se baat hui tumhari?" Asked Masi.

"Koshish ki thi, but aap to sab janti hai. Jab koi baat ek baar uske andar ghar kar jati hai to kisi ki sunne ke liye ready hi nahi hota hai. Usey dekhke aisa laga jaise mujhe nahi, Khud ko punish kiye ja raha hai wo itne salon se. Rishabh itna naraz hai ki wo mujhe sirf ek danger ki tarah dekhta hai jise wo apne ya Kukke ke aas pass bhi nahi dekhna chahta. Masi aapne baat ki ussey?

"Bhaut baar koshish ki. Ab bhi khud ko sab cheez ke liye guilty manta hai. Ab bhi sab baatein jab yaad aati hai to restless ho jata hai. London the tab phir bhi theek ho raha tha sab par jabse Mumbai aaye hain tabse har waqt bechain sa rehta hai. Uska bas chale to Kukki ke room mein hi rahe ya phir office mein. Humein pata nahi usey wapas is ghar mein lana chahiye tha ya nahi.. par kab tak aisa chalega pata nahi.."

"He needs time Masi.. par kitna wo koi nahi janta. Shayad wo khud bhi nahi.." said Menaka and they both sat in silence.

Recovery Room

8.20pm

Rishabh was shifted to the recovery room from ICU post stabilisation. Family was given a go ahead to visit. Kukke was elated yet disheartened to see him but not speak with him. Prerna had put her to sleep post an early dinner. She herself drifted to a light sleep with Kuki in her lap. While Masi sat on the opposite couch, with her eyes closed tired after an eventful day. They were all waiting for Rastogi. Menaka was out on a work call and Mr. Mehra was busy with formalities pending since last night.

Rastogi entered and checked on Rishabh and sat next to Kukki tapping her back. 

"Who is this?" Rastogi asked Masi, looking at Prerna. The only face unknown to him.

"Prerna..Prerna Sharma.. Rishabh ki.. Rishabh kr office mein kaam karti hai. AMRA mein"

"Ohh I remember… she only called me from Pune" said Rastogi 

"Well she did a good job at accomplishing the hard task. Us din agar wahan hi test ho jate to shayad.." Rastogi looked at Rishabh and Masi too looked in his direction. 

"Wo theek to hai?" asked Masi.

"He'll be okay. If all goes well  and no rebleeds happen in the next 3-4 days he'll be home in a week. But full recovery will take longer only if he is regular with the meds" Rastogi took a deep breath and leaned back. He himself was exhausted.

"When will he wake up?" asked Masi.

"He should regain consciousness anytime soon but we'll put him back on light sedation to ease off the recovery. So kal subah ya dopahar we go for another scan" 

"But achanak kaise???" Said Menaka.

"Achanak kuch nahi hai Shardaji. His body is already producing so much acid that ulcer the lesion has penetrated deep and that made his main gastric blood vessel erode over the time. Medicines regular nahi leta hai upar se.. I am sure Pune mein bhi uski tabiyat isiliye bigadi. Maine strictly mana kiya tha alcohol na touch kare to kyu? Uske uparse usne kuch khaya nahi hai, ye bhi kam tha to aspirin bhi le raha hai pichle kuch dino se, shayad backache ke liye. Wo har kaam kar rha hai jo nahi hona chahie. So achanak kuch nahi hai"

"Main endoscopy se pehle kuch nahi chahta tha because surely nahi keh sakta hai but uski wahi blood vessel rupture hui hai jo bachpan mein damage ho gayi thi. Ulcer is located right there.. Aapko yaad hai na jab ye 9 saal ka tha tab bhi uski vessel tear ho gaye the.."

"Haan ek dost ki cycle se gir gaya tha aur uska handle buri tarah uske pet mein lag gaya tha. Urgent Surgery ke baad 1 mahine tak hospitalise raha tha. Yaad hai humein. Tab bhi 2 din tak kuch bataya nahi tha. Teesre din baad jab school se call aya to Rani ko pata chala tha" said Masi.

"Aapko bhi cycle wali story batayi isne?"

Masi looked at him with surprise. "Story? Hum samjhe nahi.."

Rastogi chuckled. "Apni Mom aur mujhe bhi yahi kaha tha usne. Par surgery ke lag bhag week baad jab wo recovery room mein tha tab kuch school ke bacche visit ke liye aye the. One of the girls had lost her way and wo Rishabh ke room mein chali gayi thi. Uski Mom mere sath thi, Rishabh shayad akele pareshan ho rha tha, and this girl sat by his side"

As Rastogi spoke, Rishabh wasn't up yet but he could hear his voice and his drowsy brain retreated the entire incident as he narrated.

"Are you okay?" Asked the girl.

"Haan..Just bored, Mom has gone out. what are you doing here?" Asked Rishabh

"I came here on a school visit but I think I lost my way" said the girl as she walked towards him.

"Don't you want to go and find your group?" He asked a bit puzzled at how relaxed she was even after getting lost in a huge building.

"No. The teacher said, in case any of us got lost instead of wandering around we must wait wherever we are, so they could find us" said the girl.

He nodded a little and said "that makes a lot of sense"

"Chocolates?" She asked, and took out a fee from her skirt pocket.

"I don't like chocolates" he said.

"Try..you might like it. It's my favourite. My brothers like them too" she insisted.

"Thank you but I can't eat anything" he showed her the feeding tube that took care of his nutrition while he recovered from the surgery to repair the tear in his gastric wall. 

"Ohh.. then you shouldn't. Next time" she said.

"You can eat, I don't mind" he said, as he saw her putting all the chocolates back in her pocket.

"Thank you! What happened to you?" She asked.

"Mom said, tummy mein hole ho gaya and it spilled food inside. Kind of gross" he said, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah that gross.. how did you get hurt?" She sat on the stool next to him.

"I fell off the bicycle.." he said, like it was just a scratch he was talking about.

She smiled and that left him a bit confused. "You know it's a bad habit to lie.."

Rishabh crooked his brows and he was quick to reply back. "I am not lying". He tried to save, as he was caught off guard.

"Of course, you are! You can tell me, I won't say it to anyone. I promise.. waise bhi I am just a stranger. So your secret will be safe with me" she said, assuring him that she won't tell anyone.

He looked at her and she seemed to be genuine. He looked at the door if his Mom was there and once he was sure she wasn't around he asked her to come near. 

She followed and shifted her stool just next to him. He spoke "My father, he kicked and punched me like I was a football or a punching bag" he still had a little smile on his face which surprised the girl. 

She covered her face with shock. "Why?"

"He doesn't have a job, drinks a lot and then he likes to beat people before going off to bed" he said, not able to find a valid reason that could explain his father's behaviour. He always wondered why he did that.

"And what are you smiling about?" She asked, as he still had his smile on.

"Because if he hadn't done it to me then he would have hurt my Mom. That night he was drunk like always and angry like always. Angry monster (he muttered under his breath). He was cursing my Mom, waiting for her to come back from work. My Mom does two jobs. One night shift and the other one during the day. He said things like he won't spare her once she was back from work. Mom ne jo khana banake rakha tha, wo chhupa diya maine and told him that I had it all and he got super angry. He beat me up and slept like every other day till late. But he didn't stop early like every other day. He was super mad about something" 

"Tumne jaan boojh ke?"

"I do it all the time. I hide his stuff, don't follow his instructions, answer him back just to make him mad so he'd release it all on me and not my Mom. 3 years back when I was 6 he used to beat her a lot you know. I could do nothing. Then he began to hit me too in her absence. I couldn't do much but I made a promise, if he has to take his anger out on someone, it has to be me, not her. And now he doesn't get to touch her. He gets too drunk and tired to get up the whole day. His mission is to hurt my Mom and mine is to save her. I win all the time."

"Did you tell your Mom?"

"No.. if she knows she will again take up the morning shift job and he'd hurt her again. It's better she tired working 2 jobs then beaten up by that monster" 

Then her gaze fell at the cricket bat right next to his table and she asked "you like cricket?"

He looked on his side and shook his head "I hate it. I like chess. My mom is really good at it."

She chuckled and said "You are weird. If you hate it then why do you have it here?"

"Because my Mom thinks I like it more? She got some of my stuff here to make me feel good."

"I am sure isme bhi tumhara koi twisted logic hoga. Tell me" she sat resting her hand on her palm looking at him with curious eyes.

"Well, chess khelne mein kisi ko chot nahi lagti na. I couldn't have told her that the knight kicked me or the bishop crushed me under it's foot or the king punched me in the face (there was a hint of pain in his eyes for just a second his smile was back). My Mom would laugh at me if I told her that" he broke in a little laugh.

"You are not weird, you are smart. You love her a lot right?" 

He nodded, "More than anything in the world" 

"You get well soon! And I hope your father gets punished for doing this to you and your Mom"

"I hope so.. I want to grow up real quick so I could take her to a safe place, away from that monster" he said. Love for his Mom always superceded hate for his father.

"Hey Lost Soul! (She turned back to look at the door) Here you are. We have been looking for you everywhere. Come teacher is calling us all, we need to leave" said a boy standing at the door.

"A minute" said the girl and looked back at Rishabh. "I must go.."

"Will you visit me here again?" He asked.

"I hope not.."

"Why?? Did I bore you?" He was disappointed and it was clear on his face.

"No.. aisi baat nahi hai. If we meet here again that means you'd not have recovered. So you get well soon and go away from here. And maybe we can meet again somewhere else"

He smiled "Right.. you are sensible.."

The girl moved away towards the door and he asked her "how do we meet again. We don't even know each other?"

She turned and said with a smile "Like we met today"

"My name is Rishabh, what shall I call you?" He said, she stood at the doorway holding the door.

"Nice to meet you Rishabh. You can call me M…" he couldn't hear her as the door closed. 

"Nice to meet you too M.." he said, still looking at the closed door. That little conversation did make him feel better. His secret was no more his own. But he knew it was as secure with the stranger as it was with him. 

"Rishabh ko pata nahi tha but uski Mom aur maine window se unki sari baatein sun li thi. Us bacchi ka naam to hum log bhi sun nahi paye, but uski wajah se pata chala har baar jab koi chot usey lagti thi to cricket match ya cycle ya school mein jhahde se nahin balki us insaan ki wajah se jisey usne ekdam sahi naam diya tha "Monster". 

"6 saal ka tha jab usne ye sab kiya uske sath. 3 saal us bacche ne chup chap sab saha kyunki kuch uske haath mein nahi tha karna. Aaj bhi yaad hai jab Rani usey mere pass layi thi, usey almost kho diya tha humne us din. Ye sab sunke darr rahin thi wo bhi ki Rishabh ko ghar leke bhi jaye ya nahi"

"Shayad isliye wo khana humare yaha se banake le jati thi aur baki time hospital mein Rishabh ke hi sath rehti thi" said Masi.

"Haan. Authorities se baat karke usje yaha rukne ki permission le li thi maine. Kabhi kabkhi khushi hoti ye soch kar ki maine pro-bono cases liye nahi to itne ache logo se milne ka mauka hi nahi milta. I still remember his smiling face. Kaun kehta uske sath, uske hi ghar mein kya kya nahi hua" said Rastogi. "Par Us bacchi ki prayer sun li bhagwaan ne. Ek mahine baad jab Rishabh ghar gaya, usi subah uski bathroom mein electric shock se death ho gayi. Aur wo phir kabhi kuch kar hi nahi paya Rishabh ya Rani ke sath." 

"Haan yaad hai humein; Rani aur Rishabh humare ghar hi the us waqt jab wo hadsa hua" said Madi, recalling the event. "Itna bhi kam tha logo ne Rani ke upar bhi shaq kiya ki kahi usne to us ghatiya insan ko nahi maar diya. Par wo humare ghar thi Rishabh ke sath. Wo aisa kar hi nahi sakti thi" 

A man laid down on the floor with wide eyes looking at him in desperation for help, with his hands clenched around the water heater. Body shaking a bit but glued to the floor with water all around. He wanted to reach out to the man on the floor but the more he tried to reach, the more the distance increased between his hand and the man on the wet floor. Soon he was up in the air, flying away in the wrong direction. "Save him" he whispered as his hand extended in the direction of the man. He clutched to a piece of cloth he didn't care what it was to stop himself from moving, but no matter how hard he tried he kept moving away till he could not see him anymore.

Everyone heard monitors beeping faster than they should. Rastogi got off from the couch and reached Rishabh and called for nurse. His pupil moved fast behind his half close eyelids.

The little boy sat on the floor trembling a little in the embrace of his mother who looked nothing less than an angel in white. "It's all right, nothing can go wrong from here. No one touches you anymore"

"But.." the boy failed to for any sentence, shocked with fear. 

"Rani, there is police at your house, your husband is.." the boy tightened his grip, trembling with fear, as he heard another familiar voice laced with panic.

He tightly clutched the bed sheet under his hands. Rastogi was quick to inject a medicine through the IV port, waiting for him to calm down. Masi and Prerna stood at a distance, freezed to their places. Rastogi had put the monitors off so Kukke didn't wake up.

"Dheere Sharda, Rishabh ko sula ke aati hu.." he heard footsteps moving away from them.

"Police?" He whispered. 

"Why isn't it working. It should work by now" Rastogi looked at the watch and then at the monitors still beeping faster than they should.

"Shh… It's our little secret that no one would ever know" and she rubbed his back; soothing his trembles with little taps on his back. "You've had enough my boy, no one hurts you anymore. You don't need to protect me from anyone. You made a promise to save me and I almost lost you, now Mom promises to do whatever she can to give you a life you deserve" Rocking him slowly she hummed his favourite tune in his ears, putting him to sleep. She kept humming and saying things into his ears. He could hear chaos and sirens but it all faded as his mother's soothing voice filled his world and his body relaxed in her arms slowly letting go off of all his fears.

Within minutes the monitors were back to normal. "Thank God!!" Rastogi took a sigh of relief.

"What was that?" Asked Prerna, Masi stood next to her.

"Ya to iske pain meds wear off kar gaye ya fir he saw a bad dream. He is okay now. Don't worry"

"What's wrong? Maine nurse ko bhag ke aate hue dekha?" Menaka said as soon as she entered. 

"Kuch nahi hua. All is good" said Rastogi.

Sunn_shine thumbnail

Sending PMs after 10.30pm.

Thank you for your patience. 🤗

Sunn_shine thumbnail

Heeyyyyyyy..soo good to see you here.. 🤗

Heya 🤗🤗 I couldn’t stop myself from posting a comment. As couldn’t contain my excitement.

Why stop. Share kar dene ka bas..

Save all your words for you know what.. your unfinished project 😁.. we have shared itna that words nahi bhi hua to chalega 🤗

I can't use GIFs on phone. I don't know how to 😒

Words were betraying me so I thought better to explain how I am feeling through these gifs. I will work on it soon. Hope there words don’t beytray me.😂😂

Hahhaaa... I agree gifs are fun. I used those over laptop but phone se nahi ata abhi tak..

Will teach you how to do it. I myself learnt it yesterday. 😁 N first time posted gifs.

Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial PM. Will try that.. hope it works.

Yeyyyyy.. 

Actually thats all your readers jumping with joy and excitement after seeing the new update.

Bass yaaarrr.. I to get really happy reading sabke comments. So much love.. overwhelms me everytime 😃

🤣 So cuteee.. 

You know what I imagined like its RB is reading his file like this.. Just kidding..😂😂

Hahaaa.. RB ka bhi time ayega aise mast beach pe baithne ka 

Awwww.. hug for you..

🤗🤗

rote nahii

I just couldn’t stop..Thank you for hugs..🤗

Love you 🤗

Why crying? Isme to sab theek tha. What made you cry??

Arey bas RB ka dard nahi dekha gaya.😒😕

Awww.. abhi to bechara thoda pain meim rahega but will get better.

Hugs back to you 🤗🤗🤗

Thank you 🤗to you tooo 🤗

Thank you sooo much for reading and sharing your thoughts on every single update.. i am yet to reply your last PM.. but my hand refuses to type 😒 I will reply soon🤗

Thank you dear for writing this beautiful journey of PreRish. I will share my thoughts after reading again. As I couldn’t gather words after reading for the first time. Take your time dear. No hurry and no worries. Take rest dear. Take care..🤗🤗

Thank you yaar.. i was to just writing what I had in mind.. had no.idea it will get connect with so many..you guys make.time to read and share your thought.. I love reading all your comments🤗