take care 

Stay home stay safe 

Posted: 3 years ago

you are such an exceptional writer.

Please don't stop writing.. 

U write too good.. 

Loved it.....Loving it.

Come back soon yaar.... missing this story so much yaar...it's been the best story of arshi till now... please don't leave it without completing it yaar.... We waiting for the update.. at least give as a note yaar...,hope you are safe yaar... come back soon..

Super update dear please update soon 

Hope u come back soon and yeah we waited so much once for u, hope u won't make us wait that long this time

Hi Dear!! I hope you are doing well.. it is not like you to go offline for that long time...I wish you come back soon...

Take Care!!

From the author's desk: Hello everyone, Hope you are all keeping well. thanks so much for all your concerns, comments and love. And this chapter was long coming... appreciate all your patience and curiosity that has kept my passion alive...  Here you go, a big shout out to all your wonderful readers!

Happy reading! 

Chapter 17: Into the unknown

Part 1: Secret Nemesis

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you” a sinisterly calm voice called out as Samar repeatedly hit Sandy in spite of his father’s disagreement. 

Samar stopped to look up at the source of the voice. 

In his early 50’s Shyam Manohar Jha was muscular and tall, his salt and pepper hair and clean shaven face giving him a distinguished look and showed him to be much younger compared the paunch protruding, hair receding, French beard sporting look of the other man in the room who was of the same age. 

“Shyam, about time” said Pratap Kapoor as he stood up and held up his hand to shake with his friend as a way of welcoming him. 

Sandy dropped to the floor bleeding profusely, looking up gratefully at Shyam for his timely intrusion. 

Shyam gestured at Kher who stood beside him to help Sandy up. 

“Looks like you have not been working on controlling your anger again Samar” said Shyam. 

“What do you want me to do with this Fool…Impertinent fool!” Samar bellowed in anger as he aimed a kick on Sandy as Kher pulled up Sandy from the floor and dragged him out. 

“Give him first aid” Shyam instructed Kher on his way out “and you” he called out to Sandy, “remember to stay out of circulation for some time” he said pushing some money into his hands. 

“And Kher, bring us something to drink” Shyam asked before he closed the door behind Kher and Sandy. 

Shyam turned to Samar the moment it was only them three. 

“It was not that serious that you had to lose your temper on him” Shyam told Samar as he walked towards the plush cushions in the room that Pratap indicated and sat on it. 

“I told him so” Pratap said. “That’s why I had to call you immediately, I know he will do something irrational after you gave us the update”

“What do you mean not Serious? Do you want me to be a sitting duck if you still think that it’s still the same playground?” Samar asked his father. 

“What’s bothering you? that ACP?” Shyam asked Samar

“As if that ACP was any closer. He has been on our trail for three years”

“So what’s troubling you now?”

“ASR”

Shyam nodded with a smirk. 

“You have got to get over your obsession on him”

“Me?” Samar asked angrily “you are the one to advise me to never underestimate personal vengeance” 

“You shouldn’t” Shyam said calmly 

“Should I remind you that Anjali is his sister?” 

“I haven’t forgotten that”

“Or have you both forgotten history?”

“Samar!” his father warned him, quickly throwing a look at his friend beside him

Shyam looked sharply at the young man in front of him

“Even If history is destined to repeat…the winning side will be ours.” Shyam said 

“Ofcourse, you are right” Pratap agreed with his friend.

Samar laughed sarcastically

“Are you both assuring yourself?” Samar asked "Don't forget that last time around you ended up in Jail" he told his father. 

"That's enough Samar" Pratap got up screaming angrily. 

Shyam restrained his friend, who sat back down.

“It’s you who needs assurance Samar” Shyam told him calmly "Last time, we were not very careful about certain stuff. This time, we are"

"Are we? Are you losing your touch Uncle?”

“Samar, mind your words” his father warned him

“Let it be Pratap” Shyam assured his friend. “young blood is usually aggressive. Have you forgotten how our younger selves behaved?” 

“You are not dealing with Ajay now, it is Arnav"

"I know" Shyam replied "I and your father are still around, aren't we? Ajay isn't there to guide his son"

"He wouldn't need his father. He is far more astute than his father" Samar said

"So unfortunate that I cannot say the same thing about my son" Pratap reminded his son

Samar glared at his father angrily 

"Right, you have to rub it on me every time ever since childhood... that he is far more superior... how come you take him so lightly." 

Shyam stepped between the father and the son. 

“Relax" he called out to his friend "Now, Samar, forget about all that you have been preached by your father so far. Listen to me and listen to me well...how well do you know Arnav?” Shyam asked Samar

“how well? We have been classmates for 10 years at school. Sworn rivals, Haven’t you asked me to take time to learn how he reacts and how he behaves?”

“So what have you learnt about him?”

“that he will stop at nothing when it comes to something he sets his mind at”

“and?”

“and what else?”

“When you have to win over someone, don’t only look at his advantages, look at the other side as well. What are his weaknesses?”

“I don’t know, may be anger?”

“On whose account?” Shyam probed Samar. 

“Mostly for his brothers or sister. He was usually very protective of them. Once I and Akaash got into a tiff and I gave him a broken nose. That got Arnav very angry.” Samar said, touching his scar near that ran for two inches above his left eyebrow. 

Shyam smiled appreciatively. 

“Exactly! Look you have told the answer yourself.”

“I don’t understand”

“Arnav’s weakness is your advantage. They all have the same weakness, the Raizadas. They are sentimental fools… family sentiments - that was the downfall for Ajay… if Arnav is as much as you say, I can play around with him like a spider spins its web around its prey”

“He must have already started probing and loose ends like this Sandy’s mistake…” Samar started to say.

“Nothing to worry” Shyam assured him. 

Kher’s soft knock followed with what Shyam had asked for. 

“Good choice Kher.” Shyam said as Kher nodded in acknowledgement of the appreciation. 

As Kher poured out the vintage wine, Shyam called out to Samar again. 

“Come take this, this should calm your nerves”

“Calm my nerves? I am only surprised that you don’t get it at all”

“Sit down Samar” Shyam advised as Samar kept wearing the carpet with his walk. 

Shyam sighed at Samar’s restlessness. 

“Why are you so adamant?” Pratap muttered to his son. 

“If you ask me, this temper is what is going to cost us a lot” Shyam told

“It’s your negligence that is going to cost us. They have already started probing” Samar protested. 

“No. If I am right, they would wait for our next move. You should have trust in my experience too… the time we take to cover our tracks”

Samar kept walking and said nothing. 

“And we have something that they don’t” Shyam continued after a brief silence “The liberty to decide which pawn to move and which pawn to cut”

Samar paused and peered at Shyam for almost a minute and then looked puzzled.

“What do you mean?”

Shyam held up the glass for the young man, gesturing him to come and sit beside him. 

“It is time to change course” agreed Shyam “they won’t have anything to move in this, until we make the first move”

“I guess you are right” Samar affirmed slowly. 

“Son, you may have a shrewd mind to plan courses, but like I always say, your weak point is losing your cool when things turn unexpected” Pratap told him. 

“Tch… It was narrow, if Sandy had gone any further, my carefully laid plans would have gone for a toss” Samar told as he sat down quietly.

“It hasn’t yet. so don’t worry” Pratap said and then turned to his friend “So let’s plan on what needs to be done further. What do you want to do?” he asked Shyam.

“They have got their quarter results coming up.”

“yes, it’s in two weeks’ time” 

“How about challenging majority?”

“there is a problem uncle” Samar said “We don’t have the majority. Its owned by the family, last time we checked”

Shyam smirked “I know. Didn’t I tell you that Arnav puts too much trust on family? It will not be long before he realizes his folly”

“But now, with Anjali being monitored so closely, I don’t know if we can threaten her to sign anything”

“Didn’t I tell you that it is time to change tracks?”

“Who else are you speaking about?”

“It’s time to bring my son into the game.”

“Brilliant” Pratap said. “I have been waiting to see this day for years” Pratap exclaimed

“What?” Samar asked “I didn’t even know you had a son?”

“Well-kept secret…” Pratap exclaimed again “that’s the brilliance of the entire plot.”

“Who is he then? Where is he?”

Shyam only smiled at Samar. 

“You will know soon” Shyam assured 

“How is your son going to help with the majority shares that we want?” Samar asked Shyam 

“He already has what we need” Pratap told 

“But, I am sure we know everyone who holds or held shares for Raizada Properties” Samar muttered. 

“but I want to keep the current plan going” Shyam told Pratap “We can avoid unnecessary exposure to my son, as long as we can, it may come useful later.”

“If you ask me, I will ask you to let Anjali’s plot die, not worth pursuing it now” Pratap told his friend. 

“Tch…that’s why I am not asking you” Shyam clicked his tongue impatiently 

“Shyam, I am only asking you to be careful”

“I can take care of that. If there is no traction at all, there will be no diversion for them.”

“You will be treading on thin ice” Pratap warned again. 

“I know” he sneered as he put his empty glass on the table and got up. “it will then be equally dangerous for those who wants to follow our trail”

“Don’t you want to stay for dinner?”

“No, I have to go, have certain things to take care of before it became too late. See you soon.” Shyam said as he walked towards the door 

“What is he thinking of?” Samar asked after the door closed leaving only the son and father alone. 

“Samar, a very costly mistake of Ajay’s is going to cost his son everything that he has”

“What is it?”

Pratap smiled at his son

“It’s not what, it’s Who…” his father corrected him “It’s time for Shyam Manohar Jha’s only son to get into the picture. Be rest assured that Arnav will be shattered to pieces before he even starts the race.” 

“Where is he now? Shyam uncle’s son?”

“Right at our enemy’s nest” 

“I should be back in a couple of days” Dadi said as Mohan loaded her luggage into the car “Are you sure you people don’t want to come?”

The three of them were standing in the portico as Arnav and Anjali were there to send her off on her short trip to Lucknow. 

“Dadi, I have work. Akaash is not there and we have quarterly results up in about two weeks’ time” Arnav told her

“And I cannot miss college” Anjali quipped 

“Let me hear that again” Dadi mocked with a serious face

“Moreover dadi, I don’t even remember meeting your brother, my great uncle and now, when did I see him? May be when I was in my diapers… and it’s the wedding of his grandson, whom I have never ever seen in life… Why do you want me to come for that wedding?”

“If you don’t know, this will be an opportunity to get to know your relatives”

“Dadi” Anjali whispered bending forward towards the elder woman, cupping her left hand towards her mouth “get this guy married, then I will meet all our relatives and get to know them…”

The comment invited a rare smile from Dadi and a mock glare from Arnav 

“Hmm, Am I not trying to do that for so long now?” she said turning to her grandson fondly. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught something and her smile turned into a frown. 

The other two turned to see what caught Dadi’s attention. It was of no surprise for the two to find Khushi seated in the garden bench at far end towards the right side compound, talking animatedly on her phone as she took some notes. 

“Talking of marriages, it will do good if people remembered their promises” Dadi said looking pointedly at Arnav, who gave her a short nod. Anjali looked at the two curiously, raising her eyebrows at her brother asking about it silently as Dadi turned to get into the car. 

“Keep me updated on the way Mohan” Arnav instructed as he shut her door and waved her a bye. 

“What promise was that?” Anjali asked the moment the car left the compound wall

“What promise?”

“Hello, I saw you nodding to Dadi”

“I seriously don’t remember Anjali”

“Liar Liar pants on fire”

Arnav merely smiled at her as he turned to go inside 

“Wait… Did you give her any promise that day when you made her accept Akaash and Payal?”

“May be…”

“What was it? Did you promise her that you will marry Sheetal?”

Arnav was still smiling as he shook his head

“How is your cut healing?”

“I am fine now”

“You should get some reprieve now that Dadi is not here now, you can retort to wearing something that will be easy for you to allow it to heal better”

Anjali had been wearing full hand sleeves for the last 4 days so as to not attract attention of Dadi on her cut and the plaster around it. 

“alright big brother, Nice tactics trying to change topic”

“What topic?”

“Did you … did you promise Dadi anything connected to her?”

Arnav paused as Anjali caught up with him

“connected to who?”

“her” Anjali gestured towards the door. 

“there is no one at the door”

“I meant Khushi”

Arnav stood with his hands crossed and a sober face

“and makes you think it may be connected to her?”

“Because you are not denying it and you are trying to avoid answering me”

“it’s nothing to be concerned about”

“Then why don’t you tell me?”

“She asked me to promise that I won’t bring any one unworthy to be the eldest bahu of this house and I gave her my word”

“Did you realize that her definition of unworthy may be so different from what you may have in mind?”

“Obviously there are some loopholes in the terms of the promise” Arnav said 

“And you didn’t bother to point it out to our dadi… how very convenient?”

“Works to my advantage” Arnav said winking at his sister. “If you are done with the interrogation, May I take your leave”

He crossed her again and started to climb the stairs

“Hey wait, I am not done yet”

“You will still have questions even if I give you the whole day”

“This is most important of all… Do you have a plan?”

“What plan?”

“How are you going to pop the question”

“What question

“Are you going to ask her out or not?”

“Who?”

“Come on” Anjali sighed exasperatedly

“Why should I?” Arnav asked his sister mockingly

“seriously?” Anjali told him as she stepped closer to him “and I cannot believe that I am giving you this advice… Get a move on brother, you won’t get another chance like this”

“Like what?”

“Dadi being away”

“What does that have to do with what I want to do?”

As Anjali opened her mouth in surprise, Arnav continued to climb the stairs…

“You cannot keep denying Bhai… Its written all over your face that you are smitten with love” Anjali called after him as he continued to climb the stairs with smile plastered on his face. 

“Are you blushing?”

“Shutup Anjali”

“Yes you are! Hayyee” 

Anjali did a gig as she called “All the best Bro! I will be waiting for the good news”

A little while later Arnav joined the other two at the breakfast table. 

Anjali who was determined to steer forward her mission, started off the conversation

“Khushi, where did you say you were going to today?”

“Did I tell you Anjali?”

“The editor’s office right? Bhai is also going that way; he will drop you… won’t you bhai?”

She said turning to Arnav and gesturing him to say yes

Khushi looked to and fro between the brother and sister suspiciously as Arnav glared at his sister making her awkwardly resign to eating her breakfast. 

“Khushi, you are trained in first aid right” Anjali asked 

“yeah”

“Bhai slipped down the stairs this morning”

“Oh, what happened?” Khushi asked looking concernedly at Arnav who was still glaring at his sister

“Nothing to worry” Arnav assured Khushi “I was carrying Dadi’s luggage, my shoes slipped but landed on the stairs, I am fine now”

“He is lying, he has a catch on his back, you have any remedy?”

Khushi gapped at this ask as she raised her eyebrows at Arnav. 

“How bad is it?” she asked “you need some pain killers?”

“I am fine” he muttered again “Anjali, eat your food”

“If you have a catch you shouldn’t be driving today”

“There is no catch, Anjali is only exaggerating”

A few minutes of uncomfortable silence, Anjali stood up finishing her breakfast and sighed on her way to the kitchen sink. 

“You don’t have to try so hard Anjali bitiya” 

It was Ramu Kakka 

“Ramu Kakka, you too understand. These two are pakka tube lights”

“nah… they are not tube lights…they think they are clever to act discreetly, but some things don’t escape our experienced eyes”

Anjali turned to Ramu Kakka’s wife who was sitting there cutting vegetables… 

“What are you saying Jalaja Kakki?”

“You should watch the drama from here” she said taking her to the arch way in the kitchen which gave them a view of the table and the two sitting there

“today, we made badam milk to have along with breakfast” Kakki said

“I know, I had some” Anjali replied

“Have you ever seen your brother drinking badam milk?”

“never… he doesn’t like it”

“watch now” 

Meanwhile at the table, as Arnav was finishing his breakfast and looked around the table. 

“Hari Prakash, where is my orange juice?” he called towards the kitchen

“He didn’t make it” Khushi answered 

“What? why?”

“because this is there”

“I hate Badam milk Khushi”

“try this”

“no”

He started to get up as she poured the milk out into a glass and pushed it towards him

“I said no” he said pushing it back towards her and started to walk 

Khushi said something almost faintly as she continued to eat. Anjali couldn’t hear her, but with baited breath, Anjali watched from the kitchen along with Jalaja Kakki as her brother stopped in his tracks, came back to finish the glass of milk and put it back on the table with a grimacing expression on his face.

“Happy?”

“Very”

As Anjali watched this exchange between the two with jaws open… 

“Kakki, what just happened? I can’t believe that my brother finished a glass of badam milk in a gulp…Does this happen every day?”

“Not same stuff…Things like this happen”

“What else have you seen?”

“What you were trying so hard to do some time back?”

“What was I trying to get them do?” Anjali thought “OMG? Massage?”

Jalaja kaaki giggled 

“No dear, I don’t know if that happens, I was talking about the first one”

“you meant that I was asking Bhai to drop Khushi to her office?”

“Yeah, that happens every day”

“Really?”

“Not at the portico, around the corner… Arnav bitwa picks her up at the bus stop”

“What? how do you know?”

“I go to buy vegetables at the shop near the bus stop, I watch them sometimes”

“Tell me what happens?”

“I see the same kind of game… one tries to be adamant… other persists… and finally the adamant one gives up and gets into the car”

“I see, and look how wonderfully they both act as if this was something unheard of?”

“love is a game of hide and seek”

“Is there something else I should know?”

“There are many more I have seen like this”

“Enough of gossips” Ramu kakka warned his wife

“Ramu Kakka, this is not gossips… this is only making me happy…Tell me everything kakki” 

“Before that Anjali bitiya, you are Ok now?” Ramu Kakka asked.

Anjali stiffened before she replied to Ramu. She knew from Khushi that Ramu Kakka and his wife knew about her suicide attempt as she had asked them to clean the room of the blood stains… What they thought about the reason for her actions, she never knew and they never asked or questioned her… But the couple had been selfless care givers for her right from when she was born… they looked at her with concern and affection. 

“I am fine Kakka” she said calmly 

“I am glad bitiya! Hope everything turns out for the better.” Ramu kakka said

“Actually better than fine. Everything is going to be great soon” Jalaja kakki added, touching her wizened hands on Anjali’s cheeks “Right Anjali?”

“You are right Kakki” 

When Anjali came home from college that day, Khushi was at home. 

“Hey, how was your day?”

“The usual boring lectures. How was yours?”

“so far so good. Spending time on some research work”

“So you didn’t go out today?”

Khushi shook her head

“was at home sweet home”

“And that’s why my brother didn’t want to drop you anywhere… because you were not going anywhere today…” Anjali said with her tongue in cheek, waiting to see if Khushi will bite her bait. 

“Nah… I prefer a bigger and expensive vehicle to carry me to work”

“What?” Anjali asked in shock

“I meant the bus” winked Khushi and then abruptly changed topic “and tell me, did you get any more messages from any stranger?”

“No… nothing” Anjali said absent mindedly checking her phone... 

She jumped up noticing a message from a new number

“I got one… came in half an hour back… This number is new… Not sure if it is from them…” Anjali said showing the message to Khushi

“It doesn’t look like anything malicious…” Khushi said 

“It’s asking me of the parcel is ready. Parcel means money?”

Khushi took the number and searched in google.

“This looks like the service number for the online shopping site that you ordered something. Did you ask for any return service?”

“Oh yeah, I had asked for the parcel to be picked up for return” Anjali sighed as she responded to the service guy to come home to pick up the parcel. 

“Are you alright?” Khushi asked suddenly

Anjali looked puzzled as she looked up, then realized that Khushi asked her brother who was coming up the stairs

“Bhai, You are back so early… Why are you walking so rigid”

“My back”

“Catch?”

Arnav nodded

“I told you this morning, you didn’t listen to me” Anjali told Khushi

“I was OK in the morning, by afternoon it started to get worse”

“you shouldn’t have driven today or stressed out”

“I know” Arnav grimaced.

“you need rest” Khushi told him “lie of a flat surface”

“And some massage probably” Anjali offered 

Arnav looked pointedly at Anjali, asking her to shut up and not try so hard. 

“Don’t look at me Bhai, I have an injured hand, Khushi can help though”

“No” said Khushi

“No” said Arnav

As both of them shouted together, Anjali rolled her eyes 

“chickens” she muttered. 

“Shall I ask HP or OP to help you?”Khushi asked

“No worries, I have taken some muscle relaxants already, saw my doc on the way home, should be fine by morning” Arnav said as he climbed up his room.

“Poor bhai, how will he change into his casuals now?” Anjali asked “Do you mind helping Khushi”

“Don’t even try that Anjali” Khushi muttered and moved towards her room as Anjali giggled. 

An hour later, when Anjali went down to the kitchens, to ask where the hot bag was, she learnt from HP that he had given it to Khushiji who had also asked for it an hour back, he also told her as he filled the ice cube trays that Khushiji had asked for all the ice cubes as well only minutes before.  

“Ahaan… it’s a hot and cold press then, not bad at all” she quipped happily as she ran up to her brother’s room. 

To be continued….

Done! Dont forget to tell me what you think of the chapter, and most importantly, stay safe! 

cheers, until I meet you again with another chapter... Take care!

Edited by abavi - 3 years ago

Hi dear I hope all is well and you n your family are safe from this COVID-19.Shyam have a son n he lives with Raizadas but who is he a mystery n pls solve it quickly bcoz I can’t handle suspense.

Thanks for the update!

It had been a while ,hope you are fine.

Thanks for the update