mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

The most popular actresses from the 2000's (except Kareena) are all outsiders: Katrina, Deepika, Priyanka, Vidya, Kangana and Anushka.

The next decade only 2 actresses became popular, and they are both products of nepotism: Shraddha and Alia ( especially the latter). Shraddha doesn't have a godfather, but she is an insider, by all means.

Now, people are all only talking about the products of nepotism ( at least outside IF). Everyone is pitting Sara, Jhanvi and Ananya against each other even though they are all pretty bad at acting.

Do you think it is becoming tougher for outsiders to break in and make a mark? Or is the industry becoming more narrower by the day?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail

I will reiterate what i said d other day:

"Nepotism exists, and it's killing the business. Outsiders either have to be insanely well-connected or at the top of their game to succeed. 

Look at Sanya Malhotra. She has the acting chops. So does Radhika Madan. But their visibility is less, because they are not getting the plum projects which say, a Jhanvi Kapoor is getting. Gunjan Saxena falling in Jhanvi's lap--- what has she done to deserve such a project? Only Dhahdak, where she was atrocious? Yet it's her last name which is getting her the exposure, and a well-curated career.

There are many more examples like this. I don't see any outsider like Priyanka, Deepika or Kangana succeeding any more. Things have taken a turn for the worse."

mintyblue thumbnail

In guys also, this trend is prevalent. Only Ayushman is an outsider who is doing well ( part of the reason I root for him). Others, like Ranbir, Ranveer and Tiger are all insiders who are all well-connected to the who's who of the industry. Not taking away anything from their achievements, this is just an observation.

tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: mintyblue

In guys also, this trend is prevalent. Only Ayushman is an outsider who is doing well ( part of the reason I root for him). Others, like Ranbir, Ranveer and Tiger are all insiders who are all well-connected to the who's who of the industry. Not taking away anything from their achievements, this is just an observation.

Agree

Look at Ayushman Khuranna, the number of hits he has had, he would have been touted as a mega superstar had Ranbir, Ranveer  or any of the nepotistic stars had the same box office run.

Sushant Singh Rajput is another example, Chichore was a big hit but no one spoke about it, it did nothing for him.

It's a sad reality in Bollywood. 

We are served with mediocrity so much that for now we have taken that as "normal" and accepted it or forced to accept for lack of choice and talent.

mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: tina59

Agree

Look at Ayushman Khuranna, the number of hits he has had, he would have been touted as a mega superstar had Ranbir, Ranveer  or any of the nepotistic stars had the same box office run.

Sushant Singh Rajput is another example, Chichore was a big hit but no one spoke about it, it did nothing for him.

It's a sad reality in Bollywood. 

We are served with mediocrity so much that for now we have taken that as "normal" and accepted it or forced to accept for lack of choice and talent.

I have noticed in this very forum he is torn down for being 'repetitive' and 'not having X-factor'. Though I agree that he's milking one genre ( because filmmakers are cashing in on that), he himself said he wants to do an action thriller and has lobbied for Andadhun. So it's not him, so much as the filmmakers, who are casting him in  d same genre.

At least he's doing well for himself, and still people are pulling him down in this forum. But I think outside he's very much loved. He enjoys tremendous goodwill. Just see the Youtube comments to Gulabo Sitabo.

Rosie_Marco thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

In other film industries nepotism existed.

mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rosie_Marco

In other film industries nepotism existed.

I'm not against nepotism if the products of nepotism are talented. Hrithik, Ranbir, and Kareena are fine products of nepotism. But worst products of nepotism are Tiger and Alia. Also Sonam and Arjun Kapoor.

Simultaneously, if an outsider is not talented( like Kartik) I won't favour him either. It's all about talent.

Edited by mintyblue - 3 years ago
you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

You didn't mention Aish..she debuted after Bebo..

Edited by you2 - 3 years ago
mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: you2

You didn't mention Aish..she debuted after Bebo..

No she didn't. Aishwarya right? She debuted in the 90's.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

The most popular actresses from the 2000's (except Kareena) are all outsiders: Katrina, Deepika, Priyanka, Vidya, Kangana and Anushka.

Vidya/kangana/Anushka were never popular. Certainly not like the other ones