Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

WTH! The latter part has me steaming inside. ๐Ÿ˜†

Can't say what torture it was

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

The award for the worst Mahabharata based show still goes to Suryaputra Karna. Ekta's show was great if you compare with SPK.

Duryodhan literally begged everyone to get Karna back into senses. He was ready to forgo everything to get him back. Literally got into the feet of Draupadi.

And best was guru Parashuram in Kurukshetra to announce that Karna has become Mrityunjay, he has fulfilled the purpose for which Guru Parashuram came on this earth ( teaching Karna was his main duty dharti Kshatriya viheen to bas time pass me Kar Di)

While Suryaputra Karna had endless funny moments, one of the funniest for me was Krishna deciding to be Balarama's charioteer in a (imaginary) battle against Karna, and Balarama getting off his chariot and advancing towards Karna by foot (totally defeating the concept of a charioteer).  And of course, like I mentioned earlier, there is also that immortal scene of Karna saving Draupadi from being raped by Sishupala

I did appreciate one thing about Suryaputra Karna: that they covered the entire story upto Swargarohan yatra - the Yadava fratricide and the Pandava ascent to Swargalok.  Even if they massacred every bit of that story

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

While Suryaputra Karna had endless funny moments, one of the funniest for me was Krishna deciding to be Balarama's charioteer in a (imaginary) battle against Karna, and Balarama getting off his chariot and advancing towards Karna by foot (totally defeating the concept of a charioteer).  And of course, like I mentioned earlier, there is also that immortal scene of Karna saving Draupadi from being raped by Sishupala

I did appreciate one thing about Suryaputra Karna: that they covered the entire story upto Swargarohan yatra - the Yadava fratricide and the Pandava ascent to Swargalok.  Even if they massacred every bit of that story

Oh God seriously??? And did Balram defeat Karna or Karna defeated Balramji. 

Yes although ideally being a story on Karna it should have ended on day 17 itself. What was the meaning of having at least 15-20 episodes on Suryaputra Karna after the death of the title character and he is completely missing

If I am not mistaken didn't they show all the Kauravas in heaven too?

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

No, Karna and Balaram ended up not fighting!  (Phew, I was scared that Karna would defeat Balaram)

Karna died on day 17, but Vrushali posthumously gave birth to Vrishaketu at the same time that Uttara gave birth to Parikshit.  And when the Pandavas abdicated, both Vrishaketu and Parikshit were crowned king (don't remember which kingdom Vrishaketu got).

Gautam Rode, who played Karna, also played the role of Vrishaketu in that interval, thereby preserving the actor and making it look like Karna was alive.  And when Yudhisthir finally got to the end of heaven, the Pandavas and Kauravas all surrounded Karna, who was the center of their adulation (unlike in the original epic, where everyone ended up w/ his celestial father and wife, including Karna, who ended up w/ Surya dev)

One more factoid: the actors who played Karna and Draupadi in SPK did go on to marry each other: that's the closest thing to a Karna-Draupadi relationship that one could ever get ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜†

Edited by .Vrish. - 4 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Real Karna should sue them for defamation.

He was a shrewd, politically savvy man whose every move from his late teens was calculated and methodical. He worked hard at developing a friendship with the prince, saw the lay of the land, offered said prince his support likely for return of Anga, won back his adoptive family's kingdom without an army and without firing a single arrow. 

He played the role of bull dog to make his friend happy as hs himself admits to Krishna, didn't do the hypocrisy of regretting the mistake of the assault he ordered when it was clearly no mistake. He stayed with the friend in spite of worsening odds of victory, resisted what was surely overwhelming temptation to tell little brother exactly who he was shooting at. In the end, he met death as he wished. In death, he is remembered. In death, his fame and glory spread so far and wide in a manner he likely hadn't even imagined.

Make no mistake, I loathe Karna. But there is no denying he was an intelligent, calculating man who was likely more savvy than his brothers put together. From that, the shows reduce him to a helpless weakling. Would real Karna find any honor in his screen portrayal? I doubt it.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 4 years ago

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Real Karna should sue them for defamation.

He was a shrewd, politically savvy man whose every move from his late teens was calculated and methodical. He worked hard at developing a friendship with the prince, saw the lay of the land, offered said prince his support likely for return of Anga, won back his adoptive family's kingdom without an army and without firing a single arrow. 

He played the role of bull dog to make his friend happy as hs himself admits to Krishna, didn't do the hypocrisy of regretting the mistake of the assault he ordered when it was clearly no mistake. He stayed with the friend in spite of worsening odds of victory, resisted what was surely overwhelming temptation to tell little brother exactly who he was shooting at. In the end, he met death as he wished. In death, he is remembered. In death, his fame and glory spread so far and wide in a manner he likely hadn't even imagined.

Make no mistake, I loathe Karna. But there is no denying he was an intelligent, calculating man who was likely more savvy than his brothers put together. From that, the shows reduce him to a helpless weakling. Would real Karna find any honor in his screen portrayal? I doubt it.

He was a good politician and a great warrior too. He might have not been a match to Arjun or Satyaki but was definitely not a random soldier. This makes me think that probably he wasn't that bad an administrator too, the things Shalya tell him during the war seem just an effort to demean him so that his morale is down

What do you think about his friendship with Duryodhan though? I think that although he might have started as plan, but later he did get genuinely friends with him

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 3 years ago

Gosh! That SPK storyline sounds downright ridiculous. Exceeded all bounds of a laughable fan fiction. ๐Ÿ˜†

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Gosh! That SPK storyline sounds downright ridiculous. Exceeded all bounds of a laughable fan fiction. ๐Ÿ˜†

Read some more

1)Karna's brother Shon(Forster brother son of Adhirath and Radha) was killed by being forced to drink molten iron in the presence of Bheeshm and Vidur just because he recited Vedic hymn something Sutas weren't allowed to do. Brutal scene it was

2) Sutas had to live underground and only come out in case of being called upon by high castes or at night because higher castes could not share the sunlight with Sutas

3) Duryodhan Shakuni n Karna had spotted the Pandavas in Matasya desh, but Karna lied that they are someone else thereby saving them

4) Karna's Forster uncle had his hands chopped off because Sutas weren't allowed to touch weapons which he did

Horizon566 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Read some more

1)Karna's brother Shon(Forster brother son of Adhirath and Radha) was killed by being forced to drink molten iron in the presence of Bheeshm and Vidur just because he recited Vedic hymn something Sutas weren't allowed to do. Brutal scene it was

2) Sutas had to live underground and only come out in case of being called upon by high castes or at night because higher castes could not share the sunlight with Sutas

3) Duryodhan Shakuni n Karna had spotted the Pandavas in Matasya desh, but Karna lied that they are someone else thereby saving them

4) Karna's Forster uncle had his hands chopped off because Sutas weren't allowed to touch weapons which he did

Thank god I never watched that serial!Except 3(which is also worst distortion) all others are๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ.I can still tolerate third one as it distorts only karna but the other ones distorts the whole society of that time.

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Read some more

3rd was pretty much expected but 1st and 4th are disgusting beyond limits...spreading grossly misleading info on non existent caste based torture. ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿคฎ

Way more trashy than that star plus serial.

Edited by Wistfulness - 3 years ago