Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shinning_Stuti thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Chapter 50

--------------------------------------------------

“Welcome Salima Begam. Welcome Jodha Begam.” Marium Makani welcomed both of the queens with warm smile. Salima bowed in front of her while Jodha joined her hands and bent to greet her. There were some other elderly women sitting around the dowager empress. Hamida Banu introduced Jodha to all of them. 

“Everyone, she is Jodha, Jalal’s new Begam. She is the daughter of Amer’s king who is now a close ally to our Empire.” She said. “I am very happy that she is here to join everyone in this feast.”

“We are glad that you are here, Jodha Begam.” One elderly woman, Gulbadab Begam as stated by Salima Begam, came forward and touched Jodha’s head. “My Bhaijaan, Shah Humayun had always wanted a close relationship with the Rajputs. I am proud that Jalal has taken a step shown by his father.” She showed her the way. “Please have a seat.”

“Or you can see my palace if you want. Salima Begam, would you be her guide?” Hamida Begam smiled. 

“As you wish, Marium Makani!” Salima Begam nodded and guided Jodha through the hall. 

Jodha looked around. This palace is definitely the wealthiest part of the inner world of Mughal fort, even more gorgeous that the room of the emperor himself. Each and every corner of the palace shows the touch of deep cultured fascination. Jodha stood by a book-shelf of a room, keenly looked through the pages of the books. The beautiful letters in Urdu and Farsi are beyond her recognition, but the whole ambience amused her. 

“Marium Makani must be a highly educated woman.” She uttered touching the pages of the book. 

“Indeed she is.” Salima Begam smiled. “In fact every woman you have seen outside at the hall, is literally and culturally equipped. The Mughal Emperors are always fond of richer culture and higher standard of lifestyle. Every son of a Mughal house is proficient in war-field, just how every daughter of Mughals have a tight grip over language and literature.”

Jodha sighed with an embarrassed smile. “You know, in our land we are brought up with a clear idea of the Mughals being a barbaric, savage race who only can kill, slaughter and molest. I suppose that’s how the lack of knowledge gives birth to hatred?”

Salima Begam nodded with a smile. “Every race in this universe believes in something against the other races, Jodha Begam. They kind of nurture their reservations to believe something against it.”

“You talk so nicely, Salima Begam.” Jodha smiled. “I bet you are a literary scholar. And a poet maybe?” 

“Nothing like that!” Salima laughed. “Yes, I am fascinated towards poetry; and maybe have read some books as well… But nothing like a scholar…”

“You are being modest!” Jodha said.

“No, Jodha Begam!” Salima laughed. “As I told, every girl associated with royal family is attached with something here. I was interested in academics, it kind of became a favourite time-pass. It’s true for every Mughal Princess. You have met Ruqaiya Begam. Do you know she is a skilled linguist?”

“Really?” Jodha gasped. The image of Ruqaiya Begam in her mind is not at all white and bright, so this new information surprised her. 

“And Gulbadan Begam, His Majesty’s Aunt, is a talented author. Do you know last year the Emperor himself invited her from Kabul to chronical the biography of his father, Late Emperor Shah Humayun? There are a lot of renowned Historian under His Majesty whom he pays a handsome amount of money. But while documenting the life of his father he trusted Gulbadan Begam the most.” Salima said in an eager voice. “You know what, from whatever she has written till now and shared with us, I am sure none other than her could have done this much justice to the unfortunate emperor.”

A portrait of Humayun Shah was hanging in the wall. Jodha looked up, smiled slightly. “I would like to know him more.”

“You will. You just need to come here and sit with Marium Makani and Gulbadan Begam. You will see the whole life of this unfortunate emperor in front of eyes.” Salima’s voice was touched with little grief. “You will know how much struggle this family has gone through. How much they all have fought throughout the life. Jodha, today you are feeling awe staring at the wealth of this Empire… But you have no idea how much pain and blood are buried under each brick of this empire. Each of the member of this imperial family is a character of a story… story of struggle and sacrifice… Jalaluddin Mohammad has become an emperor today, tomorrow he will achieve his greatness, and day after tomorrow he might become greatest of the greats; but the story of this greatness is built on the grave of his childhood… and the sweat and blood of those people who has become a shadow while serving this imperial family when they had nothing. You won’t be ready to know the emperor properly unless you know those stories. Unless you understand why the emperor still feels grateful to certain persons… To know Jalaluddin Mohammad first you have to recognise those shadows…”

“You do know these stories from close, don’t you?” Jodha asked in awe. 

“Yeah, I know them from closest.” Salima smiled wearily. “My ex-husband had been one of those shadows who had given away every bit of his life for the Empire. Alas, he lost his soul in this process; could not count where to start and when to stop anymore! And it costed everything from him!” She sighed. “However, maybe living with him has given me the opportunity to understand his Majesty more. That’s why I am telling Jodha, you want to know him more, you have to go through the pictures of his childhood! You have to know more about Bairam Khan Sahab; Samsuddin Sahab, Jiji Anga, Maham Anga… Especially how Maham Anga almost sacrificed herself once, the emperor, Marium Makani and even the late emperor Humayun owes her lifetime.” 

“I met Maham Anga through a uncomfortable incident.” Jodha smiled embarrassedly. “I just wished she was a bit co-operative so that I could respect her.”

“Yeah I heard…” Salima smiled. “These are the people who has lost their soul and the measure of where to start and when to stop. They somehow want the emperor to take their duty and sense of love as an obligation. I had warned Bairam Sahab a lot, but… well I was only a stupid woman to him back then! But I can tell from my experience Jodha Begam, everyone has to pay his price in lifetime. None will be spared.”

Jodha nodded with a sigh. “Tell me more about Marium Makani, Salima Begam.” She offered. 

“Marium Makani is an amazing lady. I knew her from my childhood, even before my first marriage.” Salima Begam said. “She is not from royal family, you know? Not even a pure Mughal. She was the daughter of a Persian royal officer serving Prince Hindal back then. I have heard that Shah Humayun had fallen in love at her first sight.” She chuckled. “I am sure it was not an easy decision to marry her although. But look at her now; it is so obvious that she was born for becoming the First Lady of this Empire.” 

“Really!” jodha smiled. “I was mesmerized seeing her first time. What an exquisite beauty, what a commanding royal attitude…” 

“Same feeling I had when I saw you for the first time.” Salima Begam touched her chin lovingly. 

Jodha blushed shyly. They moved outside. The preparations for the feast was going on. Jodha looked surprisedly. She never imagined that a homely feast from the queen-mother could be this much extravagant. The whole passage is decorated beautifully, all the workers and maids are busy, working in a perfect disciplined manner. 

“Good Morning Salima Begam.” A familiar voice came from behind. “Was waiting for you. Wow, looks like you got a new companion?” 

“Ruqaiya Begam! Adaab!” Salima Begam greeted fondly. “It’s been a while since I saw you. You are so busy in your life that can’t get time to meet me?”  

Ruqaiya Begam smiled a bit, then looked at Jodha. Her glare was soft and nice, but Jodha could still feel the sting through those eyes. “Welcome Jodha Begam. Hope you are liking this palace.” She greeted. 

“Yes. Marium Makani had been very kind to invite me here.” Jodha said in a modest tone. 

“Yes, of course… You are the first queen to sit by the Emperor’s side on the throne. Everyone should have the chance to meet you, isn’t it?” Ruqaiya smiled. There was no venom in her voice, but her eyes kept on piercing through her eyes. Jodha felt uncomfortable. Salima Begam sensed and changed the topic. “Come on Ruqaiya, have some rest in your life. You are an invitee here. What are you doing at this place?” She said. 

“Resting time is the real enemy for a queen Salima Begam.” Ruqaiya chuckled. “And what to do! Ammijaan wished to feed the beggars and give them clothes today. Like always, she just needs a chance to do charity. And you know how particular she is in these things. Who else would organise all these things in such short notice other than me?” 

“That’s very kind of Marium Makani.” Salima Begam nodded before looking at Jodha. “A huge part from Marium Makani’s own earnings go to the welfare of the underprivileged of Agra. Apart from this she keeps on finding occasions to do good for the poor people.”  

“Well, if you excuse me, I might be needed there for some routine checking.” Ruqaiya Begam said. “It will not take more time as everything is ready. After that part is over, we will begin the feast here. I hope the emperor will come by then.” 

“The Emperor is coming for sure?” Salima Begam asked. 

“He does not refuse any request of his mother. No matter how much work is piled, he will keep all aside to abide by his mother.” Ruqaiya smiled. “He does not know that Jodha Begam might be here. Does he?” She frowned slightly in curiosity. 

Jodha tried hard to keep her face straight, though the topic of the emperor had already increased her heartbeat. 

“Maybe not. But he can guess.” Salima smiled. 

“Well, then he has another reason to come here early.” Ruqaiya’s smile did not look very heartfelt this time, but then she looked at Jodha with genuine modesty in her eyes. “Jodha Begam, I know you are vegetarian, and you do not eat with us. So I have arranged your meal specially. You don’t need to skip the lunch here and eat in your place. I hope this will help.” 

“This is so kind of you Ruqaiya Begam!” Jodha did not expect this gesture from the woman who apparently hates her. Ruqaiya smiled drily without any attached emotion in it. “That’s not anything kind of me. It’s merely my duty.” She answered before bidding goodbye and leaving. 

Salima Begam was holding a smile at the corner of her lip throughout this encounter. “What is with you and Ruqaiya Begam, Jodha?” She asked after a while. 

“Nothing specific.” Jodha replied smiling back. “To cut the long story short, she is not happy with me as I did not bowed down in front of her. And I am not happy with her since she tried to humiliate me by asking me to do something which is not supposed to be a honourable task for a queen.” 

Salima grinned while patting at her shoulder. “Believe me, Ruqaiya is a gem of a woman. But I suppose the regular life in Harem and living under the constant limelight of supreme power does something to some people. This is unfortunate.” 

“Real people are those who do not let the power to overpower their wit, Salima Begam.” Jodha answered. “What is the meaning of being powerful if you cannot win from your doom?” 

“That’s why I knew I was right Jodha Begam.” Salima smiled. “If our Emperor is the sailor of this ship in this great, infinite ocean, you are the star of that dark sky to guide him in the path.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is not the first time Jalal came for lunch in his mother’s palace. But perhaps this is the first time he felt the thrill inside his chest just while entering inside the hall. 

First he was telling himself that it is normal; because it is been a while since he came to his mother in this very place. Perhaps because the thought of skipping every court-related thing for today and getting time for relax is making him thrilled. Then his eyes fell on someone special in the line of the women. Then he sighed slowly. Whom was he kidding? He knew she would be here, right at the moment he got the invitation. His heart knew he will see her again. But his eyes were not believing the desperate call of the heart… Hence all those thrill, excitements… Now the eyes have witnessed her, those moments of excitement is over. Now heartbeat is stopped, eyes have forgot how to move the pupils from a particular face to others… The limbs stood unresponsive, the breathing uneven, and while the brain kept on sending signals to keep it together, because ‘you are the Emperor, Jalal! Not a lovesick puppy!’, his idiot heart did not care to listen. 

Jalal could clearly understand that his future is doomed. 

The main culprit of all these mishaps is the cruellest person ever, and for that he is sure. She was sitting in a couch beside Salima Begam, now standing with head bent as a gesture of welcoming the Emperor. Though there is a slight smile in the corner of her lips… a smile which is worth killing for… and she is gazing at him through the corner of her eyes… her doe-shaped, enchanting, blazing eyes… who are sharp enough to pierce through his heart directly and kill him in this process. God! Why it had to be a crowded room!

“Jalal?” Another embarrassing moment was waiting for Jalal as his mother touched his shoulder right then. “What are you looking at?” 

Was his mother smiling as well? Or mistake of his eyes. Jalal got onto his feet really early before kissing his mother’s hands. “Just looking at you all, Ammijaan! It’s been a while since I am seeing all of you in front of my eyes.” 

“Yes, you have forgotten the route of your mother’s house nowadays. I have to invite you officially so that you come and visit me. And even then you come late, when everyone is sitting hungry for you showing up. Of course, you are the Emperor after all.” Marium Makani showed fake anger. 

“I am really sorry, Ammijaan! I was stuck with some stupid paperwork brought by Adga Sahab at the nick of time…” 

“Okay, okay, no need to show excuses…” Hamida Begam rolled her eyes. Jalal felt miserable and looked at Jiji Anga who was smiling. “I am not the one to blame… It’s Adga Sahab’s fault! Jiji Ammi, tell Ammijaan how tedious Adga Sahab gets sometimes especially when he gets a handful of scrolls and a seal…” 

“Really Jalal? You will make your poor Jiji Ammi the witness now?” Hamida sighed in fake hopelessness. “Enough, go and sit for lunch. Poor Ruqaiya is tired arranging everything from early morning and here you are, coming now to eat!” 

Jalal grinned. “Ruqaiya is born for managing and arranging everything where I am an officially defected host… So  I suppose…”  

“What did you say?” 

“Nothing, nothing Ammijaan!” Jalal looked seriously nervous seeing his irritated mother and held her hand. “I will make it up to you, I promise. Today I will be the host of your grand feast. Everyone else in this room, be my guest!”

“You better do this.” Hamida Begam nodded. 

“What is the occasion, by the way? Am I missing my birthday?” Jalal asked. 

“Don’t be so bratty, Jalal.” Hamida Begam scoffed. “Take this as an occasion to introduce the new member of our family to others.” Hamida smiled and went closer to Jodha. She held Jodha’s hand and took her in front of Jalal. “Whom you, by the way, have missed to introduce to me.” 

“I suppose it won’t be necessary anymore.” Jalal smiled slightly while his eyes were still disobeying the orders of his heart. “You two are acquainted more than enough it seems! A man should not take the risk to introduce two women on his own count. Why don’t you introduce her to me for a change?” 

“That is not necessary anymore as well I suppose. It seems you know her exceptionally well for a recently married couple.” Hamida Begam’s smile had something which made Jodha blush and Jalal to find some place to hide his face. “However Jalal, quit being a child which you are definitely not and make yourself comfortable.” 

“I am the host, remember?” Jalal winked to his mother and looked at Jodha, this time with a smart attitude. “Begam Sahiba, you are the special guest of my mother. Please make yourself comfortable and in case of any problem, feel free to tell me.” 

“Pardon Shahenshah,” Jodha uttered in a low voice from under the veil. “I am not a special guest. I am the member of the family. If you are the host, I am the same.” 

“Oh!” Jalal bit his lip before making some sharp, witty reply in front of the elders. “Well, why don’t we all sit!” He said and took his place at Hamida Begam’s side. Everyone else went back to seat. Jalal’s eye did not find someone among the known faces. 

“Ammijaan, where is Badi-Ammi?” He whispered to his mother. 

Hamida’s face became serious. “She modestly refused the call. Said she is not well. It’s highly unlikely for Maham.” 

“Hmm!” Jalal sighed. It’s unlikely, but not unexpected. After what happened with Adham the other day… His happy eyes suddenly shadowed with a cloud of gloom.

“Everything okay, Jalal?” Hamida Banu asked with concern. 

“Not really, Ammijaan! Something with Badi Ammi… Maybe that’s the reason she…” Jalal sighed sadly. “I will tell you later.”

The shadow of gloom spread in Hamida’s face too. She had assumed the reason for Maham to skip this program is Jodha’s presence. Maybe that is not pleasure, but tolerable. But any slightest rift between Jalal and Maham Anga is not tolerable. Jalal has already lost Bairam Khan. He cannot afford to lose her too! 

The atmosphere changed a little when Ruqaiya Begam entered and bowed. “Adaab, Ammijaan. I have sent all the foods and cloths to give away among the poor. Everything is being taken care of. Now if Marium Makani and His Majesty wishes, we can head towards the dining hall for the lunch.” 

Hamida Banu nodded her head in satisfaction and affection; though Jalal smirked naughtily. “Slowly, Padshah Begam; where is the fire?” 

“Pardon Majesty?” Ruqaiya had no clue of what he was saying. 

“I mean slow-down and take a breath, Begam-E-Khas? Stop running and enjoy the small moments of life!” 

“Says who?” Hamida chuckled. 

“Now don’t pinch me.” Jalal shook head. “I might be a busy man and keep on running; but I know to slow down and take a breath, enjoy little moments in life. It is important because it helps you to understand your own importance to yourself.”  

Ruqaiya glared with acridity, said nothing. Jalal smiled. “Don’t stare like that, Begam Sahiba. You are scaring me! Don’t get angry, I will work according to your order!” 

As all of them proceeded to the grand dining room, Jodha was feeling a soothing comfort inside her heart. For the first time in this fortress of power and wealth she has found out the warmth of family. These powerful sophisticated people have a very normal relationship between themselves, something wrapped in care and love, which makes the whole place more humane than she thought. This day in the palace of Marium Makani became a landmark in her heart forever. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The dinning room was huge, grandly decorated for the feast. Jodha could not help being astonished at the sight of the table. The golden and silver utensils embellished with precious Rubies and Emeralds are containing delicious dishes, the golden pitchers holding the valuable drinks, and the sunlight coming from outsight reflecting via the glass-wall, shining on the table. The guests sat together in their respective seats, the maids started serving. Jodha stood in a corner, carefully watching over the customs they follow. Jalal washed his hands in the huge bowl with rose-water, wiped those with the perfumed towel, and looked at her before starting. 

“What about you, Jodha Begam? You are not joining?” He asked. 

Jodha looked embarrassed, sad as well feeling a bit left out in the whole arrangement. “Don’t worry about me, I will have my lunch…” She answered in a low tone. 

Jalal looked at Hamida with a bit confusion. Hamida looked at Ruqaiya with question. Ruqaiya stood up. “I have taken care of the meal of Jodha Begam, Ammijaan. I had associated a Hindu cook for makes her special vegetarian dishes. Her own maids are called to serve her the meal at the next room. All your concerns about her different food-habit is taken care of by me personally. Farida…” She called. “Please guide Begam Jodha to the next room when her foods are served.” 

Hamida nodded in satisfaction. Jodha looked at Ruqaiya with the smile of gratitude. However, Jalal did not look much content. 

“So the princess of Amer does not eat the food made in our normal kitchen?” He asked. 

“Jodha Begam is complete vegetarian, Majesty. She also follows some regulations. Her foods are made differently, not in the hand of Mughal cook. She is also not comfortable with sharing table with the Mughals in that context.” Ruqaiya Begam clarified. “So her choices are being taken care of. In Harem, as well as here.” 

“What is her meal arrangement in Harem?” Jalal asked to Ruqaiya again. 

“Majesty…” Ruqaiya looked annoyed but she did not let it out. “Jodha Begam has her own maids to serve her. They cook for her in the adjacent room and serves differently. Jodha Begam does not need to sit with the other Mughal queens or touch any of the utensils of the Mughal kitchen. The expenses or the other things needed for her alternate cooking arrangement is handled by myself.” 

“I am sure you do a commendable job of taking care the regulations, choices and habits of each of the queens, Ruqaiya Begam; and the unusual food-habit of Jodha Begam is also handled by you very considerably… However, I was wondering if it can be a permanent solution?” 

“Pardon Majesty, I don’t understand.” Ruqaiya shook her head. “This arrangement is completely agreed by Jodha Begam herself.” 

“Ruqaiya Begam is right, My Lord…” Jodha felt necessary to speak up for herself. “I am comfortable with the whole arrangement. I am ashamed that my different food-habit has raised some unessential issues and I am needing extra concern for it, and am extremely thankful to Begam Ruqaiya for taking care of it. I would do anything not to bother you all for this silly matter… actually food-habit is something generic we carry from birth; it is not easy to change the…”

“I never said you to change your basic choice, Jodha Begam. Neither you should be ashamed of your generic habit you carry from the root.” Jalal stopped her. “What I meant is, you cannot go on forever with a temporary cooking arrangement next to your room. Eventually all need a permanent settlement…” 

“Pardon, Majesty… I think the temporary arrangement is doing just fine for me…”  Jodha said in embarrassed tone. 

“Maybe. But again, you yourself told that you are family. To build a family the first thing you need is to blend up. And with a temporary adjustment of food forever, you won’t be able to become the family.” Jalal said in a firm tone. “Ruqaiya?”

“Your Majesty?” 

“I hope it will take a very little time for you to arrange a permanent kitchen for Jodha Begam’s vegetarian food alongside the Mughal kitchen. It will be separated, but not secluded like an adjacent room with her own maids cooking for her. The special Hindu cooks to be hired, Hindu maids to be assigned for that kitchen. Their expenses would be given from the treasury of Harem. That kitchen would be just another part of the palace.”

“Understood, My Lord.” Ruqaiya nodded. Her eyes suddenly sparked in an unknown sarcasm. “You want a small Hindu kitchen for the Hindu queen.” 

“It’s exactly what I want, Ruqaiya Begam.” Jalal’s eyes also became rigid. 

“May I know if the location of that kitchen should be near the common one, or in some other part which can be later used as a different ‘Hindu Palace’?” 

“You know the Harem better than me, Ruqaiya. You can tell. Also, if I wanted to build a different palace for her, I would have done it, no? But she is here to stay with all of us. She is already doing her part of compromise. Maybe we all should try a little more so that she becomes the part of the royal family easily?” Jalal told in a bold tone. 

“I understand, My Lord.” Ruqaiya nodded. “Although, maybe it’s not a good time to discuss these in detail. I will take care of your wish as soon as possible.”

“It’s very thoughtful of you to make such arrangement for her, Jalal.” Hamida Banu nodded. “I should have think this earlier. I have full faith on Ruqaiya. She will take care of that plan just like how swiftly she took care of this arrangement today. So Farida, for today you may guide Jodha Begam to her place to eat… We also should start the lunch.” 

Farida, the maid, was about to guide a reddened Jodha from the dining hall, Jalal stopped again. 

“Excuse me again, Ruqaiya Begam. Is Jodha Begam going to eat alone in an isolated room while we will be having lunch together?” 

“It’s a situation I had nothing to do, Shahenshah. We hardly have anyone here to accompany her.” Ruqaiya answered. 

“I am used to it, Shahenshah… It is not at all a problem.” Jodha said in hurry. “Marium Makani herself had offered to sit with me while I eat, but I myself refused. It’s already late and everyone is hungry… I will have no problem eating alone.” 

“Yeah, you might be used to it; but I am not.” Jalal intervened. “It is extremely rude for a host to leave someone alone in a room with a plate of food where everyone is eating together in a grand hall. I won’t let that happen. Ammijaan…” He looked at Hamida. “I know I promised to have lunch with you today, I should not break that promise at any cost. But as your son this is my duty to look after everyone you care about. Hence if you allow me, I myself would like to accompany Begam Jodha while she will have her lunch.” 

There was an awkward silence in the hall for a moment. But Hamida Begam laughed out the tension built in the air. “If you had come as an emperor today, there could be a possibility of breaking the promise or something. But you have come to your mother’s home, not as a guest. It does not matter where do you eat, with whom do you eat… it only matters how much my son values my thoughts. Thank you Jalal, for mending the flaw of this arrangement on your own. Now you complete the duty of a good son as well as a good husband.” 

“May I say something…” Jodha tried to speak again. But Hamida raised her hand with a slight smile. “I know what you are trying to say, Jodha Begam. I know you must be feeling uncomfortable. But please don’t be. I don’t want any small function in my palace to have a little bit of flaw. I don’t want any of my invitees to be unsatisfied at the end of the day. And most importantly I don’t want the newest member of my family, my daughter-in-law feels left out in a family gathering… I want everyone to have smile in their faces when they leave this palace at the end of the day, and that smile to fill with the warmth of togetherness and bonding. A little bit of taint in that smile is not acceptable. If you don’t feel comfortable here, I myself will not be able to be happy. So please, for my sake, don’t feel bad about it.” 

Jodha bent her head a little, “I have no words, Marium Makani!” 

“So Jodha Begam, if you allow me to have lunch with you then…” Jalal said while a mischievous smile played through his lips… 

“Farida… Act according to Shahenshah’s order and place his lunch in the room where Jodha Begam will be taking lunch. ”Ruqaiya Begam acted thoroughly like a machine, though there were no sigh of smile in her face. 

“Excuse me, Ruqaiya Begam…” Jalal stopped her. “No need to replace this meal. Today I will eat whatever Jodha Begam will eat…” He declared with a smile. 

Jodha felt her eyes are suddenly getting blurred in emotion. She could clearly see the smile of the emperor shining like sun rays from the fog of those tears in her eyes… 

---------------------------------------------------------

As the server poured drinks in their glasses and left them alone as per the emperor’s wish, Jodha’s eyes met the pair of eyes staring unblinking at her… 

“What are you looking at, Shahenshah?”

His smile endeavoured charm, while his eyes drowned in intoxication…  

“Saaqi mujhe sharab ki tohmat nahin pasand 

mujh ko teri nigah ka ilzam chahiye…” 

Jodha’s cheeks blushed, though she tried pretending naïve. “Sorry, Shahenshah, I did not quite understand…” 

“Don’t pretend Begam Sahiba, your eyes are telling otherwise…” Jalal smiled. 

“Really? What are they telling?” 

Jalal laughed. “Begam Sahiba, the words of your eyes are reflecting in my soul, and are caught in the rhythm of my heart. No language made by human has the courage to interpret the language of the eye and the soul…”

Jodha chuckled. “You should have been a poet instead of being a ruler.”

“Who says a ruler cannot be a poet, Begam Sahiba? Every poet is a ruler. A ruler rules on the land; a poet rules in heart.” Jalal uttered in a husky tone. 

“A ruler has to be bound under the chains of power. A poet is as free as a bird of the horizon.” Jodha replied. 

“Even those chains of power have their own stories, Begam Sahiba. Everything in this world in bound in rhythm. Be it the grip of the throne or the dangling of swords… everyone is musing in own rhythm. Who else other than a poet can give words to those?” 

“Like you said, some rhythms are only caught in the strain of the heart… no language made by human can interpret those untold rhymes. Maybe that’s why the destiny is the greatest poet.” Jodha smiled. 

“Yeah… Destiny.” Jalal chuckled. “There was a time when I did not believe in fate. So she is adamant to make me the biggest believer. You know, whatever doubt I had on my fate before today, is totally cleared out after I saw you here.” 

“What is so uncanny about it?” Jodha said. “You were not expecting me?” 

“Begam Sahiba, there is a slight gap between expecting and witnessing… but that little gap means a lot!” Jalal smiled. 

“Understood.” Jodha giggled. “Now eat your lunch!” 

Jalal stopped before taking the first bite. “Why are you not eating?” 

“In our place wives are not supposed to take their meal before their husband.” Jodha replied with a smile. 

“Really? In our place, emperor’s food is tasted by someone else to check if that’s safe.” Jalal playfully raised his brows. “Come on, Begam Sahiba… Have a taste.” 

“Your food is already tested, My Lord. I am not falling into it.” Jodha twisted her lip. “Besides, you have already tasted the deadliest poison of the world. No poison will do anything to you!” 

“When was that?” Jalal frowned. 

“You forgot?”Jodha’s eyes twitched mischievously. “You drank the dreadful poison at that night when a naïve village girl had come at your bedside in that little hut in a no-man’s land with a little lamp in her hand…” 

A little bliss of light played in both of their faces swiftly. Jalal sighed naughtily. “Yeah, I kind of drank that poison on my wish though.” 

“You sure?” Jodha sharpened her eyes. 

“yeah… Man is a strange animal, Begam Sahiba. He wants to jump in the fire which burns him, he wants to drink the poison which sucks him completely, he wants all the stings, all the agonies, all the tears from the deep of his heart, and that’s how the poet takes birth… As I said earlier, Begam Sahiba… Everything has its rhythm inside, and every soul is a poet…” Jalal smiled delightfully. “What about you, Begam Sahiba? Did not you drink that same poison?” 

Jodha tried to laugh, but somehow the memory of those long nights in Amer stopped her from opening her heart. “My Lord, I willingly took all the despair for myself, I have slept on the bed of thorns for months… but still I will say, for the thing people are willing to die from ages, for which they are willing to burn down their entity till nothing is left, is not the poison; it’s the nectar… For ages and ages everyone is drinking all the poisons of this eternal life just to taste that nectar; it’s not about the end, My Lord, it’s the poem of a new beginning…”

“Subhan-Allah!” Jalal uttered. “You never leave a chance to mesmerize me, do you?” 

Jodha chuckled this time. “Enough of it, Shahenshah… Now, for God’s sake, start eating. Everything is getting cold.”

“Only when you take the first bite…” Jalal insisted. He took a little piece of roti and stretched his hand across the table. “Here…”

“God, Shahenshah!” Jodha giggled while blushing. “What if anyone sees??” 

“They will know I am feeding my wife. What is wrong in that?” 

“Nooo…” Jodha popped her eyes. “You have already embarrassed me a lot outside… God, this is the place where my mother-in-law leaves! And you were acting like as if you…” 

“What that I am specially inclined to you?” Jalal picked up a brow. “Or I am particularly concerned about your happiness other than anyone else in this world?” 

“You did not have to do it, you know?” Jodha pouted. “I could have spent time there and eat here separately. How much time would it take. Besides, if you consider me as family what is with all these formality? It’s not anyone’s fault that I am a vegetarian and I cannot eat in the same table? It is my reservation and I am the one who should pay for it if not overcome it…”

“My God, you are sounding like you want a big punishment?” Jalal laughed out. 

“No… But still, you had come to have lunch with your mother…” Jodha said in a low tone. 

“Yeah, and it suddenly occurred to me that I will enjoy the noon way more if I have the lunch with someone else. It seems you are not liking my company, is it, Begam Sahiba?” 

“Not that… but…” Jodha said half-heartedly. Jalal stretched his hand a little more. “Come on, Jodha Begam…” He whispered.   

Jodha smiled suddenly and took the piece of bread from his hand, all blushing. Jalal grinned. “Here we go!” 

“I am not sure if you would enjoy the food I eat…” Jodha began as both of them had taken some more bites. 

“Are you kidding me?” Jalal said while gulping a mouthful of Navratna curry. “You are so lucky that you get this meal every day. I will be officially requesting you to send at least one dish every day for me from your kitchen.”

Jodha chuckled. “You are just being modest. I know you are not habituated with…” 

“Don’t say that, I can get habituated with anything. I also can feel at home in a broken hut with one meal a day. ” Jalal winked. Jodha stared at him for a moment, then smiled back. 

“That one meal being delivered to me at the middle of night…” Jalal reminisces… “The best moments of my life… They won’t come back…” 

“You never know, Shahenshah… The poet named Destiny has always something under her sleeves. You never know when she surprises you with a new twist!” Jodha looked meaningfully. 

Jalal smiled. “You are saying my old memories will come back to me as new surprise?” 

Jodha nodded a little. “It’s worth a try!” 

“So… when can I expect the twist?” Jalal picked one brow. 

“I don’t know. That’s the play of the destiny I suppose…” Jodha playfully smiled. “But… you are the emperor here; you would know better than me?” 

Jalal smiled. “Maybe being the Emperor is not the criteria here… Criteria here was to search a wayward rural man in this castle of gold, silver and heartlessness.”

“Yes, that I remember.” Jodha said while taking another piece of bread. 

“So, what is the progress there?” 

“The ocean looks very lively at the shore, Majesty… But it is the deepest place of the world. You won’t know it unless you go deep inside.” Jodha’s eyes sparked. 

“So you are dipping in the ocean?” Jalal smiled while shaking head. 

“You tell me.” 

“What do you want to hear?” Jalal laughed. “I know it already… It’s not so easy to win over Jodha Bai, but I won’t give up until I win.” 

“That’s why you sent the your little messenger to me?” Jodha raised her brows. Jalal laughed. “Yeah, but looks like he absolutely failed. He could not bring that thing I wanted from you?” 

“Everything belongs to me is yours, My Lord… Including my heart and my soul. But I cannot give that to you.” 

“You said you wanted a price?” 

“Yes… My lost anklet won’t be the price, Majesty.” Jodha smiled. 

“You know what that ankle meant to me?”

“Long night, longest hours of tears and heartbreak.” Jodha chuckled. “I know, Majesty. But the value of the dagger is too much more.” 

“Really?” Jalal frowned. 

“There was a boy. Came from somewhere unknown. Lost in somewhere unknown… He had surrendered that dagger in the name of my love. He had coloured my forehead with the vermillion of blood. You know something, Majesty? In our land, if a man surrenders his dagger to a woman as a token of love, it is accepted as equivalent to marriage. I was married to that dagger, Majesty. It represented my love for the rest of my life. I had built my dream-life on the basis of that dagger… Exchanging it to anybody is like trading my sindur to someone. A real Rajputani will die before that.” Jodha said in a smiling but firm face. “The price of that dagger is more than my life. I cannot give that up to the emperor. There is only one man in this universe to whom I would hand it over.” 

Jalal was staring at her with amazement. “Who is that man, Princess Jodha Bai?” He uttered. 

“That boy who has lost in unknown… Who had surrendered his dagger to me.” Jodha said, his eyes drowned in unknown dream. “I can give the dagger only in exchange of Chandrajeet Rathore. Bring me him, I will give you the dagger back!” 

Jalal’s smile was slowly changing in utter confusion, Jodha chuckled again and concentrated on the meal.  

“You like to test me, don’t you?” Jalal murmured slowly. 

Jodha looked at him with shining eyes. “That’s how I dip in the deep of the ocean, your Majesty!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinning_Stuti thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Little confession:

Okay guys, the chapter is written in hurry, not one of my best to be honest, and a short one as well. So a advance sorry. Expected to update a little earlier but turned out I could not 😕

However, thank you for keeping patience on me. And take care everyone. 

ritujajadhav thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

It's Awesome. Akdha conversation, Jalal's caring towards Jodha. It was really amazing update. Can't wait to see how Jalal will get that Dagger from Jodha. 

divyadaya13 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Shinning_Stuti

Little confession:

Okay guys, the chapter is written in hurry, not one of my best to be honest, and a short one as well. So a advance sorry. Expected to update a little earlier but turned out I could not 😕

However, thank you for keeping patience on me. And take care everyone. 

@ bold if not one of your best can mesmerize us so much then what if it was one of your best. What i meant to say is each and every chapter of destined love is out of this world. My heart was skipping a beat along with jalal when he  entered his mothers palace for the feast. The way you described jalals feeling of a man in love was superb😳

Only one request. In this gloomy atmosphere that we all are going through at this point of time, your story brings out that beautiful and happy feeling. So pls dont make us wait for long for the update🤗

swetiii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Amazing chapter

Cute convo between JJ 

Ruku burning 🤣

Update asap buddy 

Aishu.R thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thank you for update even though it is a small one...It was a nice chapter, enjoyed to the core the way you have discribed the Jalal's feelings, his care and love for Jo....The interesting part of the chapter was conversation between the two and the way you have portraited the Royal family time was nice... Please try and update soon...
Kavya_P thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Awesome chappy Di 

Enjoying their moments 

It's difficult to understand what they want for me

Update soon Di 

Thanks for Pm Di 

Sorry for the late reply Di 

Sweta_hada thumbnail

Nice update

Waiting for next one😃

rishbala3018 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Lovely chapter. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I am so glad I didn't have to wait too long for it. 

As always JaJo convo was cute. Would love to see more of those along with Jodha and Salima's developing friendship. 

Update soon please. 

Germanina thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Seit etwa 1 Monat lese ich die FF zu Jodha Akbar in diesem Forum . Ich habe dabei viele ausgewogene und interessante Geschichten gelesen, zu denen diese auch gehört.

ich bin ein begeisterter Fan zu dieser Serie und ich denke, daß wird auch so bleiben.

Dein Stil ist gut und sehr flüssig zu lesen, was mir sehr gefällt.

ich freue mich über jede Fortsetzung, gerade in dieser doch sehr schwierigen Zeit für uns alle.

ich wünsche mir, dass wir alle gesund bleiben und freue mich über eine baldige Fortsetzung.

Herzliche Grüsse aus dem Norden Deutschlands, Ina