New ArShi FF: Birds of a Feather Link to Thread 2 on Pg. 1 [20/04/'20] - Page 103

Posted: 3 years ago

Another wonderful chapter 

Loved the way they are slowly opening up to each other. Can't wait to see who falls in love first 

Looking forward to read more 

I've been stuck on chapter 28 and it took me a while to get over it😒.  Then all hell broke loose in AD and then COVID happened which made things worse. So thankful and appreciate of your updates week after week which brings cheer during these difficult times!  It is something that we all are looking forward to in these challenging times.

Jumping right into the chapter - my favorite and the sweetest part is Arnav's dinner delight for Khushi.  Though there was some disappointment as to Khushi's eating choices, Arnav's attempts in making Khushi happy was priceless👏.

The little talk at the balcony about Khushi's mom though brief was heartwarming.  Arnav is like a best buddy we all wish to have. The one who knows your heart but is wise enough to know when to push and when to let it be. Yet still be there for you with the gentlest yet powerful gestures.

And you hit the bull's eye with the work-life balance part.  It is very important to not bring your work home or vice versa.

All in all another great chapter and love what is cooking here đŸ˜Š.

Hello!

Hope all of you are staying safe and healthy, sending you all lots of strength and love to get through these times đŸ¤—

Thank you for the lovely comments to the last chapter, I devoured them all â¤ď¸

The content of this story belongs strictly to the author, -Archi-. Any unwarranted use/copy of it is not encouraged and is strictly prohibited.

Chapter Forty

Known

Khushi rummaged through her wardrobe, utterly perplexed on what to pack. It was a late Thursday evening and she was due to leave for Nainital the very next day. Thanks to her demanding shifts at the hospital, she had left her packing to the last minute and now, she was paying dearly for it. 

“Dinner is ready!” Arnav called. 

Khushi sighed. 

“What’s wrong?” 

She looked up to find him standing at the door of their bedroom, throwing a skeptical and not to mention, puzzled look at the mess. 

“I’m packing,” she groaned in answer. 

“You sure you aren’t just throwing things around? Why does it look like a tornado has been through here?”

“Very funny… I don’t like packing.”

“No one likes packing… besides what could you possibly need for a medical trip that requires this much damage?”

“I will put everything back in order,” she grumbled, slumping down on the bed, tired. “Stop worrying.”

Arnav carefully walked inside, artfully making sure he wasn’t stepping on something before sitting down beside her. 

“Will you save me the trouble of figuring out what’s wrong and just tell me?”

“Nothing is wrong… I just…” she trailed off not knowing what to say.

“Don’t want to go?”

Khushi’s head hung in shame. He was right, of course, like always. Although the medical camp was a source of excitement in the hospital, for Khushi it seemed nothing more than an inconvenience. She had to reschedule all of her appointments for the next three days, work extra hours drawing up treatment plans for patients currently admitted –including Adya, who was still on life support with a steady heartbeat–  and Khushi didn’t even want to think about the amount of work that will be waiting for her when she comes back. 

Besides, what was even the point of this trip? A fancy acknowledgment on her CV if and ever she decides to find a job elsewhere? What was Dr. Awasti thinking before enlisting her?

“I think,” Arnav finally said. “You have starting anxiety.”

“I have what?”

“You are comfortable here and to leave everything and go is… not optimal.”

Khushi snorted. “Very nice Chef Raizada… you can get a psychology degree with that analysis.”

He held up his hands as though not to be blamed. “Hey, I’m just learning from the best.”

Khushi smirked. “Thanks for flattering me… but I don’t have starting anxiety. In fact, for the first time ever, I’m not anxious at all.”

He was stumped. “Then what is it?”

She looked out of the glass wall, leading out into the balcony. It was another peaceful night in Delhi. Not even a speck of rain was in sight. 

“I’m happy here…” she admitted slowly. “And to know that no matter what happens in Nainital, I won’t be as happy… is not very comforting.”

If Arnav was surprised with that confession, he didn’t let it show. Instead he asked humorously, “Do I get credit for your happiness?”

He did, more than he could ever guess. But that was meant to be her little secret. 

“Don’t flatter yourself,” she answered. 

He chuckled. “You know what I will take credit for, however, Dr. Gupta?”

“What?”

“For taming your nerdiness… I thought you would be jumping with joy at the thought of a medical camp, thinking about all the awesome medical marvels you will be a part of, planning for all the ways you can show off your amazing skills… and here you are, sulking about having to work during a weekend.”

“Your humor is wearing off on me,” she answered drily, although she was amused just the same. “I don’t show off.”

“Now you are being funny.”

Khushi rolled her eyes and stood up. “Can I get back to work now? The bus will be there at 6 a.m. tomorrow morning.”

“Bus? Aren’t you taking a flight?”

“How rich do you think the hospital is?” she retorted sarcastically. 

“Well seeing that I pay the bills, it’s definitely rich enough to send you on a flight.”

“Apparently not. They booked a bus for all ten of us… plus we have medical equipment and supplies to take with us as well. Flight is just not practical.”

Arnav sighed. “I guess you are right… but it’s such a waste of time.”

“Really?” Khushi asked, surprised. “Most of the doctors are excited about the extra six hours of sleep they are going to get.”

He grinned. “Fair enough… so are you going to have dinner or not?”

“Let me just finish up here. You go ahead if you’re hungry.”

“No, it’s fine, I will wait,” he answered, standing up to leave. “By the way, Nainital is cold this time of the year. You should pack warmly.”

Khushi nodded. “Noted, thanks.”

Flashing her a kind smile, he was almost out of the door when he paused and said, “I may not be a doctor, but I’m pretty sure what you are having is fear of the unknown… except, it’s not really fear of the unknown, it’s the fear of giving up the known. But the way I see it, in a couple of hours, the unknown will become the known and then maybe, you will not want to come back.”

“Good morning,” Ved greeted chirpily as he climbed onboard the Volvo coach, hired to transport them from Delhi to Nainital.

Khushi, who had been picked up a few minutes ago from her apartment after bidding Arnav –still half asleep– goodbye, grimaced. Although she was still quite weary about the trip, she knew it was better than to brood. Three days would fly by in an instant, and before she realized it, she would be back in the penthouse, eating another one of Arnav’s delicious meals. 

At least that’s what she told herself.

“You’re quite cheerful this morning,” Ved commented, taking a seat beside her. 

Khushi shrugged. “It’s Friday,” she muttered, looking out of the tinted windows. The sun was finally beginning to rise, steadily covering the empty streets in dewy auburn light. 

“Yes, and we are going to Nainital–”

“For work–”

“Okay, who are you and what have you done with my Khushi?”

Khushi snorted. “I’m not yours.”

“But I’m yours to annoy for the next three days.”

She sighed. Ved was easy to get along with; perhaps that’s why they were friends. He looked past her awkwardness –and sometimes cold behavior– and pretended like it was nothing. She was grateful for it on most days, no doubt, but on days like this, she wished he would leave her alone. 

Luckily, Ved took the hint and didn’t speak much for the rest of the ride. Khushi felt her eyes drooping as the bus climbed onto the highway and the last thing she watched before she drifted off into a dreamless sleep was the city buildings dissolve into plain open grounds. 

When her eyes opened next, Khushi was stunned. 

The bus had pulled up in front of a medium sized cottage, nestled picturesquely in between a canopy of trees at least a hundred years old. Tall hills surrounded them, covered exquisitely in greenery, while birds chirped happily amongst themselves, unperturbed by the human intrusion. 

But none of this matched what stood on their left. About thirty feet from the cottage, the ground dipped out of sight into what appeared like a valley. All Khushi could make out on the other side were mountains in the far distance, their tips covered in fog while the sun danced in and out of white clouds. It was breathtaking.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it,” murmured Ved.

Khushi –who had almost forgotten she wasn’t alone– turned to find him also looking out of the window in awe. 

“It is,” she replied. 

If Arnav had been there, however, it would have been perfect.

“Okay everyone,” Dr. Chandra –their supervisor for the trip– called once everyone had disembarked the bus and gathered around him for instructions.  

“This is our lodging for the next three days,” he explained. “There are five bedrooms, two people to each room. You can take your pick– please do not fight over it and make me assign you to rooms.” 

Everyone laughed. 

“We will be working out of a community center not too far from here. So, once everyone is freshened up and had lunch –don’t worry, the guesthouse is providing us with meals– we will head down and start setting up. Any questions?” 

Surveen, a first-year resident like Khushi, spoke. “What kind of cases are we expecting sir? Dr. Awasti said you will brief us on the way.”

Dr. Chandra smiled. “You’re her intern I’m assuming?”

Surveen nodded. Khushi didn’t understand why that point was of any importance.

“As much as Divya likes to keep you guys on your toes, the truth is, this trip is not a rescue mission. We come here once a year to look after the locals, to make sure they are getting the right vitamins and prescriptions. We don’t stay here long enough to actually treat complicated cases.”

“So we are looking at malnutrition then?” Surveen asked.

“Mostly,” Dr. Chandra replied. “The locals cannot afford health care; their lives are mostly depended on the tourism industry –which is why we are staying in this guesthouse. The more business we can give them, the better.”

Surveen sighed, slightly crestfallen. She, like most of the group, was expecting to find rare and mostly unheard medical cases.  

“The trip is important,” Dr. Chandra stressed not missing the disappointment in everyone’s eyes. “Because it gives you an opportunity to practice caring for people outside of a hospital setting, where all of the equipment is readily available to you. And if you master this skill, of being resourceful and quick witted, then you can join the doctors that actually go out into the mountains and other rural areas for months at a time to help the people there. Understood?”

The group nodded in unison. 

“Okay then, let’s meet back here in an hour. Lunch is being served in the dining hall.” 

Khushi was just about to collect her small carry on suitcase and head inside, when Ved stepped in front and easily picked it up while balancing his own.

“You don’t have to,” she said politely. “My suitcase isn’t heavy, I can carry–”

“Not a chance. I’m a gentleman and you know it.”

Khushi grinned and together they walked into the guesthouse.

It was as beautiful inside as it was outside. The cottage was decorated in rustic tones with maroon colored carpets, wooden panels and ivory couches. Windows were erected all around the ground floor, letting the afternoon sun glimmer brightly indoors.  

“Wanna share a room?” Ved asked. 

Khushi gaped. Was he serious?

He chuckled. “Relax. Just kidding.”

She let out a silent sigh of relief. Sharing the room with Arnav was one thing; there was no choice there –although now, she didn’t mind it one bit– but voluntarily sharing a room with Ved was out of question. Luckily, Surveen offered to be her roommate and together, the two of them picked a room in the far corner of the second floor, overlooking the valley. 

An hour later, Khushi along with the rest of the doctors set out to the community center. They followed a dwindling road down the hill to a decent sized building, where they arranged their equipment, setting up tables, drawing partitions and readying medicine. 

The first visitors –a group of middle-aged ladies– came a little before sunset, explaining that most of the locals were at work and that they would come in for a check-up once their shifts ended. 

There was no free time left after that. 

By sunset, the community center was so crowded with people that Khushi didn’t even have time to sit down. It was only as she dragged herself back up the hill to the guesthouse along with the rest of the crew that she realized how cold and dark it had become. She shivered unexpectedly, regretting leaving behind her sweater in the guesthouse. So much for Arnav’s advice to pack warmly. 

“Oh crap,” Khushi muttered, recalling with a jolt that she didn’t message him all day. 

Arnav’s text was already waiting for her by the time she pulled out her phone. 

Too busy to message me, huh? :( I see how it is…

She grinned, typing her reply while her feet kept blindly moving forward. 

Sorry sorry… got caught up with things here. Nainital is beautiful, you should come visit.

His answer was almost instantaneous. Had he been staring at his phone, waiting for her reply?

I won’t say ‘told you so’…

And yet, you are…

Hehe… fine, I will say it then: you were fearing this trip for no reason Dr. Gupta. 

True, but my point still stands. 

Which is?

I would be far happier in the apartment right now, eating your food than freezing to death here having nothing but kichidi for comfort.

Freezing to death? Didn’t you pack warm clothes? I TOLD you it will be cold…

You did and I packed a sweater. I will be okay… did you have dinner?

Try to stay indoors as much as you can. A sick doctor is not helpful to anyone.

Khushi sighed, deciding not to argue. It wasn’t her fault that the temperature dropped so suddenly. It wasn’t nearly this cold in the afternoon. 

Okay, I will be careful. So what exciting things have you planned for the weekend? You have the apartment all to yourself!

Yes, very exciting things. Hold your heart while I explain…

Khushi chuckled, waiting.

Firstly, I bought myself a very exquisite bottle of wine that I intend to finish while going through numerous files my secretary was kind enough to send home. 

Secondly, I have an empty fridge that needs restocking before you come back home, possibly ravenous (wouldn’t blame you – kichidi SUCKS).

Thirdly, Lavu being… well, Lavu, needs my assistance in matters best known to her. So, I shall be dropping by her house at some point on Sunday. 

Lastly, I will be desperately missing some nerdy company, so I’m planning to drown my sorrows in Netflix and cupcakes. 

Khushi couldn’t hold her laughter in. He was a complete item, this Arnav. How could anyone be so perfectly amusing? Giggling to herself, she answered:

You better save me some of those cupcakes. 

Of course… I hope your camp is much more exciting than my plans.

Once again, you overestimate doctors…

“Ow!” 

Khushi unseeingly collided with a hard chest before unceremoniously falling backwards. She closed her eyes in fright, when two strong arms slipped around her waist, holding her in place. 

“Careful,” murmured Ved. “Gosh you’re freezing Khushi, are you okay?”

She opened her eyes in guilt, meeting Ved’s dark brown ones looming far too close for comfort. She straightened up instantly, cautiously taking a step back to put some space in between them. 

“Sorry,” she said, tucking her phone back into her purse. “I’m okay, are we almost at the guesthouse? I’m hungry.”

Ved nodded. “Yeah, almost… everyone is already there actually. I was worried you got lost or something… so I came back looking for you.”

Khushi was touched. “You are too nice,” she commented, walking once again. “I was just texting my family… this is my first camp, so they’re a little worried.”

Ved matched her steps. “Oh… how come you never told me about your family?”

She bit her lip, almost slapping her forehead for not seeing this coming. “There is nothing to say… you already know about my mother.”

“Yes,” he replied. “But what about the rest?”

“What about them?” she answered rhetorically. Luckily, they had reached the clearing where their cottage stood. “I have an older brother, he’s into business like my father… he got married last year actually.”

“Really? I always assumed you were the eldest in your family.”

“Why?”

“You have that independent and protective vibe that most elder siblings have.”

“Are you the eldest in your family?”

Ved shook his head. “Nope. Only child.”

“Lucky you.”

“You’re joking right? It was boring as hell! I begged my parents to have a second child, but my mother flat out refused.”

“Why?”

“She used to have a busy job, so–”

He broke off upon catching sight of the darkened appearance of the guesthouse. Many of their colleagues were slowly stumbling out, carrying blankets and pillows. 

“What’s going on?” Ved murmured before running off to find out.

To Khushi’s bad luck, there was a power outage in the area, which meant the guesthouse was completely out of electricity, including heating. Taking advantage of the situation, the doctors had decided to spend the night around a bonfire and Khushi had no choice but to follow. She didn’t see how else she would be able to keep herself warm.  

So a few minutes later, after finishing dinner, Khushi sat huddled next to Ved in a circle, wearing two sweaters and wrapped up in a woolen blanket. A fire crackled briskly in between all of them, keeping her face flush and protected against the cold air. 

“So, what were you saying before?” Ved asked. 

“Nothing.”

“No, you were saying something about your family?”

“Oh. Just that I have a brother and that you’re an only child.”

Ved laughed. “Thanks for reminding me. So… you’re close to your brother. That’s it? There is no one else?”

“What, you need me to write out my whole family tree or something?”

“I was just curious,” he answered sheepishly. “I mean… you and me spend so much time together and we don’t know much about the other.”

“I know you like your coffee black.”

“And you like it with milk… that’s not very informative.”

“Oh, but it is,” Khushi replied with a smirk. “It tells me how much you detest carbs and sugar.”

Ved gestured to his well-toned torso, which even through the many layers he was covered in, still looked nicely shaped. “This comes with a price!”

“I’m sure Keerthi is mighty impressed,” Khushi answered rolling her eyes. “How is she by the way? She hasn’t stopped by the hospital recently.”

Ved turned his gazed away upon the mention of his girlfriend. “She’s good… busy with work.”

Khushi frowned. “Is something wrong with the two of you?”

“Nope, it’s fine,” he said, smiling for her benefit. 

Khushi let it go, knowing that he would talk to her when he was ready. She hated being nosy.

“So, what is it that you want to know about me?” Khushi finally asked. She had no reason to hide anymore. Ved was a good friend and most importantly, had earned her trust. 

He smiled. “Nothing of importance really… I just found it weird that you never talk about your family. You’re quite a private person… so I always wondered is it because you aren’t close with your family or you just don’t like talking about them?”

“Both.”

“That’s a bummer.”

You have no idea. “I was close to my mother,” she said out loud, however. “But after her accident, it was just me.”

And perhaps, now Arnav. 

Khushi subconsciously picked up her phone at that and saw a good night message –along with a reminder to keep warm– from the man himself, blinking comfortingly on the screen. She vaguely wondered how he would react upon finding out that there was no power in the guesthouse. 

“No boyfriend?”

Khushi was startled to hear that question. She gazed shrewdly at Ved, before saying, “You were dying to ask me that, weren’t you?”

He smiled, apologetic. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “I just can’t imagine you single… but you never talk about a boyfriend.”

“Why can’t I be single?”

Ved was aghast. “How can you be single? You’re beautiful… kind… smart… there is no way you don’t have a special someone!”

Khushi was –quite honestly– flattered. She never viewed herself as beautiful per say. From a very young age she sold herself as intelligent, which was perhaps why she did show off once in a while about being a doctor or why she enjoyed Arnav calling her ‘Dr. Genius’. However, to hear that she was ‘pretty’, was something altogether new and not to mention, satisfying. 

“Well, I don’t have a special someone,” she finally said. “Sorry to disappoint.”

“Please, all the men in the word should be apologizing, not you… Did no one ask you out? Like even in college?”

Khushi shook her head in negative. “I guess I never had time… my father didn’t want me to be a doctor. So I used to spend all my energy into studying. There was no room for distractions.”

“And now?”

Arnav’s face unwillingly flickered into view. She knew it was silly to think of him. His heart had been taken, long before she even came into the picture. And perhaps, his heart would always belong with someone else. Everyone, of course, expected them to miraculously fall in love, to make their phony marriage a real one, but Khushi knew it wasn’t possible. There were just too many burdens involved. 

Arnav and she were fated to be like the two tracks of a railroad, always together, but never uniting. 

And she didn’t know what else to do other than to accept it. How could she ever risk what they had now for the mere possibility of something better? 

“Your silence tells me there’s already a distraction,” Ved murmured. 

Khushi took a deep breath. “There isn’t.”

“Would you like one?”

She chuckled. “Honestly, no… My life used to be very complicated Ved. Now that it’s finally settling down into something I can enjoy, I’d rather it not be upturned. Relationships are messy.”

“The good ones aren’t.”

Khushi snorted. “The good ones most definitely are. How else can you be sure it’s what you really want?”

“So you would pick a painful, turbulent relationship over a peaceful and easy one?”

“No,” she replied indignantly. “I would pick a relationship that gives me peace despite being painful and turbulent.”

Ved almost seemed impressed. “You think very deep.”

She grinned. “Why, thank you. But I’m just a girl who knows what she wants, that’s all.”

“And what is that exactly? What do you want? A nice house, an understanding husband, two kids and perhaps a dog?”

“So cliché… be original Ved.”

He took his time to answer. “It’s what I would want,” he admitted looking straight ahead at the valley, now completely submerged in darkness.

Khushi pondered that. It was surprisingly to hear that he wanted something so simple; nothing about Ved spelled simple. She knew many girls in the hospital crushed on him, often being carried away with his good looks and talkative nature. Most of them would probably be a little disheartened to know that what he wanted was not an epic romance. 

But what about her? Would she want the same? If her father was out of the picture and her marriage with Arnav wasn’t a contract, would she be looking to settle down and have a family of her own?

Perhaps.

But something about that image, about being a happy wife in a perfect household with an ideal husband, just didn’t click. No, instead what came to Khushi’s mind when she thought about her ‘happily ever after’ was more or less what she had now. 

So, all she said in answer to Ved’s questions was, “I think I already have what I want.”

Poor Khushi doesn't know what's coming for her đŸ˜†

As always, please like & comment!

AD is currently a mess for me (in addition to this covid madness!) so please be patient with me. I try to update a minimum of once per week - I'm trying to update more frequently, but I can't make any promises yet. 

Love you all,

Archi

Taken

*Edited*

Yay, thank you for this lovely update. First things first. They need to miss each other and I think this will help. Especially with Vee trying his best to get into Khushi's life. She imagining/thinking about Arnav when Ved talking about Boyfriend/ happily ever after definitely says a lot. 

Now, hoping the fire is at an equal shade the other side. Wait till he gets to know Ved is behind Khushi. Green monster will come running. 

This medical camp , Khushi being in Nainital and Arnav there reminds of a Tamil film and I can't help but, feel the connection :P Alaipayuthey!   (Saathiya in hindi I guess) 

Is there a way our hero boy comes to Nainital? ;) 

Cheers 

Edited by TwilightStar_JP - 3 years ago

Wonderful update!!!

Arnav and Khushi are moving forward in a more comfortable relationship..

Khushi has no idea that she would definitely fall in love with Arnav the way things are heading between them..

I think, no, I know that Ved has fallen for Khushi and its messing with his present girlfriend........ I wish Khushi had shared about Arnav, if she trusts him so much......

So whats with the mention of cold and them being stranded without a heater....... will Khushi fall sick and Arnav will run to be with her ?  that will be little filmy but perfect for the truth to come out to ved......

Originally posted by TwilightStar_JP

Taken

*Edited*

Yay, thank you for this lovely update. First things first. They need to miss each other and I think this will help. Especially with Vee trying his best to get into Khushi's life. She imagining/thinking about Arnav when Ved talking about Boyfriend/ happily ever after definitely says a lot. 

Now, hoping the fire is at an equal shade the other side. Wait till he gets to know Ved is behind Khushi. Green monster will come running. 

This medical camp , Khushi being in Nainital and Arnav there reminds of a Tamil film and I can't help but, feel the connection :P Alaipayuthey!   (Saathiya in hindi I guess) 

Is there a way our hero boy comes to Nainital? ;) 

Cheers 

Even it reminded the movie scene ..at least now Khushi needs some sort of footing in their married life and hoping Arnav also see sense..

Cheers

Nainital sounds so beautiful!! 

Loved the text convo between Arnav and Khushi. He’s able to make her laugh even with them being miles away. Unknowingly, she has started associating him as her family. Because she feels safe and happy in his presence. And I think Arnav has started to feel safe and himself in Khushi’s presence too. 

I just realized, Ved has to be the first guy to ever compliment Khushi on her beauty. Not Arnav. And this whole getting to know of her family (clearly trying to see if she’s single or not) while he has a gf (wether on good terms or not) didn’t quiet sit well lol. I kinda wished Khushi told him about Arnav too but then again what is she going to say? Yeah I’m married to a Raizada but my last name is listed as Gupta? Will make it messy for her. And she knows Arnav will understand. I mean, she’s quiet right when it comes to Arnav not feeling anything for her yet, given that he was already deeply in love with someone else. I’m soooo curious as to when Arnav will feel the first beat of love in his heart for Khushi. I don’t want it to happen just yet. They still have a long way to go. But still. This is interesting. Khushi has never been in love or in a relationship before. She’s definitely starting to feel something for Arnav though and this is a beautiful process to go through with her :). 

I liked the caring side of Arnav. Really curious to how he will react to Ved or how he will even come to find out about him haha.  

Really liked the following quote:

“I would pick a relationship that gives me peace despite being painful and turbulent.”

As always, your updates always cheer me up.  

Continue soon and stay safe!

Bizzy 

Edited by Bizzykizzy - 3 years ago

Hope arnav will talk with his father soon.doctor always want to distance arnav from his farther

I love this Arnav! He might not be the most sorted person but he is an absolute sweety :)

I am slightly upset with Khushi right now...why is she hiding her marital status from Ved? I can imagine her not wanting people to know who she is married to. Keeping that bit secret is okay, but this....

Has Ved broken up with his girlfriend? If yes, is Khushi the reason? I have a strong hunch that he is interested Dr. Gupta ;)

Edited by v5a1s6 - 3 years ago