Jjlove thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

U can have ur time we will wait.. but give a long update...we r very greedy😉

Shinning_Stuti thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Chapter 42

While passing through the corridors of his own palace, Sarifuddin heard a pandemonium. Peeping out, he saw something which was expected but he was not expecting at all, that is almost a celebration is going on under the supervision of his wife. 

Sarifuddin is married to Bakshi Banu Begam for over a year. But the freshness of their relationship is still present, hence it is too early to get bored of her and go for another wife. Moreover, what Sarifuddin feels for her is very much close to love, as she is the only woman for whom he deeply cares for. This is the weakness he is yet to get over with. They do quarrel, but Sarifuddin cannot control her according to his wish the way his male ego demands him to do. Not only because of his personal weakness for her, but also because of her status. Bakshi Banu has another identity which is far more heavier than her status of being his wife. It hurts as well, when at the end of the day he is forced to think that he is minor to his wife. But it gives him the determination of growing as well, in such a way that Bakshi takes her husband’s name with the same respect she does with her brother’s. 

“What is going on?” Sarifuddin entered and asked. 

Bakshi Banu was ordering a maid to do something. She turned to her husband. A blush of happiness swept on her face as she bowed down. 

“Welcome, my lord. Was waiting for you.” 

“For me?”Sarifuddin frowned. 

“Yes…” Bakshi Banu came forward and placed her hand on his palm. “Look, how is this Mehendi?” 

“Nothing in compare to your beautiful palms, my dear…” Sarifuddin kissed on her hand. “What’s the celebration, anyway?” 

“My brother’s wedding is near, My Lord. There is hardly time!” Bakshi Banu said. “Since he is getting married from our home, this is my responsibility to get everything done properly. These are the gifts to send to his father-in-law, and I have to go there personally to gift these ornaments and…” 

“No.” 

Bakshi Banu stopped and frowned. “Excuse me?” 

“I mean, you are not going.” Sarifuddin said in a cold tone. “What is happening is only a political treaty. Don’t overdo it, Bakshi.” 

“Everything is political in the home of royals. That does not mean that there is no need of rituals.” Bakshi argued. “When Jalal Bhaijaan is getting married as per the rituals, we have to follow everything.” 

“What ritual? Your brother hardly cares about these. He is going against his religion, you know what does it mean?” Sarifuddin groaned impatiently. “The religious people of the empire, the community of the priests might go against him. He is playing with the sentiment of religion. And you are participating in this game?”

“If you are against it, why don’t you protest? Why are you shouting on me?” Bakshi said. “Look, these arguments take place in the court. Not in the household. You have already participated actively in this wedding by accepting the invitation and taking the responsibilities. Now let me do my duties as a sister.” 

“Why so hurry?” Sarifuddin pressed her hand suddenly. “It is not the first time your brother is getting married; it is not the last time he will get married… then what is the need of this extra show-off?”

Bakshi looked at his eyes. “Because my mother wants to.” 

“What?” 

“I received a letter from Ammijaan; shortly after the official letter of congratulation came from Marium Makani. She expects me to do all the needful on behalf of her.” Bakshi said while her cheeks got firm in an unknown fury. “I don’t care what I really feel about this marriage. When the Marium Makani herself gave me instruction I have to take care of it. Because it is the first time in my whole life my mother has expected something from me.” 

Sharifuddin sighed hopelessly while touching her cheeks. “Really, you really think this is the worth of you, Bakshi? Your mother has assigned you as the care-taker of a petty marriage and you are working like a slave for it just to prove that you are worthy? Where is your self-respect?” 

“No, My Lord… I am not working like a slave. Rather I am trying to be a sister, a close sister to a powerful brother.” Bakshi smiled. “Unlike you; who worked hard day and night to give Amer to Bhaijaan, and got nothing as reward; and yet cannot voice your views about your issue with the marriage and working like a slave again. All you can do is to come to me and ask me not to participate. Where is your self-respect, My Lord!” 

Sharifuddin wanted to get angry, but he could not. Rather in frustration he expressed the inner turmoil on the face. “There is nothing I can do, Bakshi. No matter what happens, I have to be faithful to your brother. And going against his political decision is like going against him.” 

“I don’t want you to go against him. Choosing between husband and brother is the last thing in the earth that a woman wants to do.” Bakshi said. “Like the same, I cannot go against my mother’s wish, no matter what my wish is… So let’s forget about ourselves;” she chuckled gleefully, “And enjoy the wedding.”

“Is it really that easy?” Sharifuddin said angrily. “Tell me one thing, Bakshi… What is your point about this marriage? What do you think about your brother’s decision of letting a Hindu girl in the legacy of Mughals? That too with the permission of practicing own religion?”

“Like I said, it does not matter.” Bakshi’s face were shadowed with an invisible dark cloud. “I have born as a Mughal Princess, My Lord. The Mughal Princesses’ don’t have views. They only have the pillar depending on which they stand strong. They are dedicated to that pillar, the perspective of that pillar is their own view…”

“Right?” Sharifuddin touched her chin lovingly. “And who is the pillar of you, then?”

“Depends.” Bakshi smiled meaningfully. “It is always cleverer to choose the strongest pillar, My Lord.” 

“Yeah… I am not the strongest.” Sharifuddin scoffed in rage. 

“You are strong, and your strength depends on a stronger pillar… Depending on you and depending on your emperor is the same for me. There’s no difference.” Bakshi laughed. “But know one thing, my Lord, the day you become stronger, your pillar becomes independent; I will be by you… No matter what it costs!” 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The gifts of Shagun has come from the groom’s side. Jodha, get your bathe done as soon as you can and come downstairs for the rituals.” 

Jodha did not hear her step sister-in-law’s words. She was half drowned in the great bath-tub full with rosewater and perfume. The cold water works great as a repellent. It can repel all the worries, all the agonies, all the tears to stung in the heart. It can carry the mind in the world of nothing. Where nothing can touch you; neither the pain, nor the happiness. Jodha was lost in that land of nothing… She wants to be lost in the land of nothing; forever… 

“Jodha…” someone again called from behind. Some others are talking about dresses and ornaments and celebrations. Someone is coming towards her. Someone is patting on her hand. But Jodha can feel nothing. Except the touch of the cold water. Except the blessing of the emptiness that has covered her soul. 

“Come on, Jodha…” Now someone pulled her forcefully. Jodha lost her balance and would have hurt her back if the maids won’t catch her. The charm of the water suddenly disappeared. Jodha came back in the real world again. The world of pain, the world of despair… The world where she is going to be married off to the Mughal Emperor in a day… 

“I am so sorry, Jodha… It didn’t hurt, did it?” Said her sister-in-law, who had forced her up from the tub. Jodha tried to smile while wrapping herself swiftly with a silky towel.

“I am sorry Bhabi-sa, but could not you wait for a little more till I finished my bath?” She said. 

“O Jodha, I could wait for the whole day. But your in-laws’ won’t wait!” The woman chuckled. “I am trying to tell you for such a long time, Jodha, they have already come with all the gifts. Also the ritual of Tael Baan is yet to take place.”

“What is the meaning of these rituals, Bhabisa?” Jodha smiled while getting out of the tub. “Just wastage of time. Bapu-Sa should have arranged a small wedding function and get everything done.” 

“What are you saying!” Bhabisa looked surprised. “Maybe the marriage is unusual. But the relationship which is forming is the ultimate truth of your life! Missing any of the important ritual might bring omen to the marriage… The marriage is fixed in hurry and already we have missed most of the holy rituals, and I seriously doubt whether anything is taken care of from the groom’s side;” She looked worried. “… but still, from our part we have to do everything to protect you from omens.”

As if the marriage itself is not an omen in her life. Jodha did not say anything. “Will you excuse me for a moment, Bhabisa? I need to change.”

“Sure… Or I can help you dressing up.” Bhabi-sa looked excited. “You know, they have sent you so many precious gifts. The jewelleries, the gems are so rare that I have only heard of them in stories. The amount of gifts they have sent are equal to one month’s tax of our kingdom, you know!” 

“Great, isn’t it?” Jodha smiled sarcastically. “They are taking away the most valuable gem of the Rajputs, the pride of freedom, from us in exchange of these precious gifts!” 

Bhabisa could not understand. She was still busy in her talks… “The Mughal women wear such strange dresses, you know? I have never seen a Mughal woman before. The emperor’s sister, and the maids, they all were wearing some weird type of long upper garment, and they were wearing sewed wide pajama..You know, like the men wear here, but loose fittings like skirt. It seems it is okay for women to wear sewed lower garments unlike us. But the quality of the dresses; My GOD! The sister of the emperor; her veil itself was worth of all my jewelleries. They had covered their heads with the veils in such a way that not a single hair was seen. They did not show their face until they were in women quarter. It seems they have more restrictions than we do. Poor you, here ends all your childishness of roaming around like boys.” 

“Bhabi-Sa,” Jodha was unable to bear anymore. “Why don’t you go and entertain our guests in women quarter, while I get ready swiftly? And if you call Moti for my help it would be nice…” 

“Moti is missing.” Bhabisa said half-heartedly. “I am sending Leela to you.” 

“Wait, missing means?” 

“Don’t know dear. I hardly had time to notice the steps of your maid. Get ready, it is a long day for you.” Bhabi Sa said and got out of the room. 

Jodha wiped out the droplets of water from the face before putting on the dress. For a long moment she kept on staring at the mirror. She has the habit of staring at the mirror for thinking, but she was not thinking anything now. Now she was searching for the beauty in her. Yes, she is beautiful. She is as pure as a morning dew, as soft as lotus, as soothing as moonlight and as blazing as sun. She has beautiful eyes, like does; she has beautiful hair, like clouds; and she has a beautiful neck, just like swan. For a moment, she just gazed at the image in front of her, getting mesmerized of her own splendour.  She gazed and gazed, and a light blush suddenly reddened her cheeks… As she could see someone standing behind her. She could feel him coming towards her, holding her waist, kissing her neck… 

“What are you doing here, Chandrajeet? You are not supposed to be here?” She uttered shyly. 

“What can I do… I am inside you! Wherever I go, whenever I come, I do it on your wish, My dear!” He whispered in her ears. “All your beauty, all your womanhood completes in me… You won’t survive without my existence.” 

Jodha was slipping in the world of passion; but suddenly a call of reality stunned her. “No no! I have left all my memories behind! I have left all my soul behind in that hut safely with your thoughts. You are not supposed to come here now. I cannot let my pure love entangle my reality. I won’t let my love to get contaminated. If I cannot survive without your thought then I will live like a living dead-body. But I won’t let the soul of Purnima to leave Amer with Jodha and wait for her Chandrajeet in vain inside the prison of Agra… I won’t!” 

“Whatever you do, Purnima; our destiny have bound us together; she will bring us together… Again!” 

Jodha took a long breath and closed her eyes. When she opened her eyes again, Chandrajeet was gone. 

“Rajkunwarisa…” 

Jodha looked back. Leela was standing there. Jodha smiled. “Come Leela… Help me dressing up.” 

She has to get ready to adorn herself for the never-seen Mughal emperor. From now on. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“All the materials are sent to the king of Amer safely, Your Majesty. Princess Bakshi Banu and the others have returned safely after the rituals. They were treated greatly by the family of the king and they are pleased. The Rajput pre-wedding rituals are over, and the main function of wedding will take place tomorrow. We can leave Rajputana by tomorrow night with the princess of Amer then.” 

Jalal nodded after hearing the update. His mind was unable to think about anything else. Only stuck in the same thought. 

“Majesty, if you don’t mind can you discuss about the matter of Malwa now?” Adga Khan suggested. 

“What about Malwa? A troop of Army is already sent there under the command of Pir Mohammad there, isn’t it?” Jalal frowned. 

“Yes my Lord, and Adham Khan has also joined them right after you have fixed things in Amer.” Adga Khan said. 

“Yes… Clearly he did not want to participate in the wedding so took my permission to help Pir Mohammad in Malwa. Adham is a great warrior and a good leader; I decided it will be a good idea to let Adham invade Malwa. Afterall, Baj Bahadur is not an easy threat.” Jalal added. “So? What about it? Any news from the war?”

“What I gathered latest, Your Majesty, is Baj Bahadur’s army is in a tough spot. They are on a verge of defeat. If my guess is right, Malwa is under captivation of Adham Khan right now.” Adga Khan said.

“Well, that’s a good news. Why are you not looking happy then?” Jalal asked confusedly. 

“To be honest, My Lord,” Adga Khan lowered his voice. “I don’t trust Adham Khan. I never did trust him in his former battles. So this time, I kept extra vigilant on his actions personally. I am not sure enough since the news are not confirmed yet; but what I felt somehow, is, Adham Khan is not sending proper reports from the battle field.” 

Jalal kept quiet and thought for a while. “Thank you, Adga Sahab. You keep on monitoring his actions in Malwa and let us wait for the final formal report. We will sort the thing out then. It has been a habit of the commanding officers to hide real picture of the war from the capital. Have to take strong measures on it.” He paused, as he could see Abdul standing at behind the curtain, waiting to get attention. “Adga Sahab… if you don’t mind, we can have a word on it later. Right now I am more concerned about the treaty of Amer.” 

“Sure, My Lord. I believe from heart that everything will complete properly and happily here in Amer. Now please excuse me…” Adga Sahab bowed and left the tent. 

“Come in, Abdul… Was waiting eagerly to see you.” Jalal got up.

“Long live the emperor.” Abdul bowed down after limping in the room. His face was bright in glee. 

“I can’t tell you how excited I was when I first got to know that you are going to marry the princess of Amer.” He said. “Last time I have witnessed your adventure in Amer. Only I know how you feel about Amer and her princess.” 

“Well, I don’t remember I told you ever that I had gone to see the princess.” Jalal chuckled. 

“Maybe, but it was not very tough to guess.” Abdul smiled. “See, how destiny plays the game?”

She plays bigger than you can think, Abdul; and it seems I am her favourite plaything. Jalal thought. “You are most welcome here, Abdul. I have especially called you as I want to show you something.”

“Order me, My Lord.” Abdul bent his head. 

Jalal picked up two parchments in his hand. One is a scroll with official tag; the other one, however, is a simple one. He gave both of them in Abdul’s hand. 

“I prefer you don’t read them.” He said. “I just want to know what you feel about the handwritings.” 

Abdul scrutinized the letters. He frowned a little. “Looks like same. Also the type of the ink is similar. I am no expert though. What’s the matter, Your Majesty?”

“I have been in a maze for a long time Abdul. Looks like I have found a ray of light at last.” Jalal said. “Thing is, whether what I am thinking is true? How would I be sure? Abdul?” 

“Order, Your Majesty?” 

“I have sent orders to find some Vaidya Sadanand from anywhere in this world. Make sure this order is carried out as soon as possible. And send your people to Amer localities; gather as much information as you can about Purnima.” 

“Alright, Majesty.” Abdul noted. Jalal frowned unsatisfactorily. These trials are for nothing. He has already tried this path. Nothing will come up. Nothing. The only way to find the identity of Purnima is to know the Princess. Jalal is going to know the princess within one day. Jalal cannot wait for that single day. He can’t wait to get married to the princess now. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night is about to end. The East sky is already coloured in the colour of vermillion. The colour which will fill the parting of Jodha’s hair from tomorrow, with the wish of prosperity of her husband. Jodha is going to accept someone as her husband tomorrow whom she had been trained to hate the most. She is going to be a part of such a culture from tomorrow which she has been trained to be scared off from childhood. Mughal Harem, the story of nightmare for every single girl in Rajputana, the place worse than hell, is going to be the permanent address of Jodha from now on. 

Lying on the bed, Jodha kept on staring at the dawn. She was unable to close her eyes for a moment the whole night. The thoughts of tomorrow had clouded her mind and vision. Tomorrow all the dramas about the rituals will be over and Jodha will permanently shift to Agra, in Mughal Harem. What after that? What if all the nightmares about Mughal Harem becomes true? How will Jodha manage to survive?

Maybe she is worrying for nothing. She tried to believe. After the emperor issued the farman accepting her conditions; after his personal assurance of protecting her honour, Jodha has been somewhat convinced that the emperor is, no matter how much cruel he can be, is a complete gentleman, a real king. He won’t disrespect her. At least not the way she has been used to be disrespected in these last few months in her own home. But what about others? What about the thousand people living in Agra having complete different lifestyle than her? How will be the fight of everyday; how will Jodha fight alone? 

Jodha took a long breath and rolled back. No matter how difficult the fight be, Jodha has to fight it alone, and she has to survive the fight. She has spent a long long time sitting alone, doing absolutely nothing. Now this Rajputani has to stand up again, fight a war everyday against everything to survive; from the first day she has to make her place in Agra fort… she has to prove it all alone there that the Rajputani is no less than the Mughals by any means…  And this is her own fight, she has to win it for herself! No matter that Amer has lost the battle with Mughals, now Jodha has to win her war. 

But there is more to the worry… 

How will Jodha start the new relationship with the man she used to fear and loathe once, when she already placed someone deep in her heart? Jodha can fight every moment with all the adversities which challenge her self-respect, but how will she win the battle with herself, the battle of not letting her love control her sense of duties? She has agreed to sign a bond of negotiation with the emperor in exchange with her conditions of freedom. But can a formal negotiation ever start a healthy relationship? Will Jodha get the time she needs to pacify her mind; or from the first day she will be forced to form the base of her marriage? If that happens, then Jodha cannot refuse this to happen… But how will she tolerate? How will she bear the touch of someone else other than the man she desires and still live unaffected? How? 

Jodha had sat up on the bed and clutched her hairs tightly. Suddenly she felt someone touching her arms. 

“Jodha…” 

Moti Bai was sitting beside her. She had an unusual soothing smile on her lips. Jodha felt surprised. It has been a long long time since childhood when Moti Bai has called her by name. 

“Moti?” She uttered. “Where had you been? I was looking for you at morning…” 

“I was not here, Jodha… I had to go out.” Moti exclaimed. 

“Out? Where? You know that the time is not safe; Mughal soldiers are roaming around. We have to stay alert at least till the wedding!” 

“Don’t worry, Jodha… Nothing will happen to me! There is nothing more in this world!” Moti smiled strangely. There was a strange indifference in her voice which concerned Jodha. “Jodha, I had gone to Amer. I had some works to do there.”

“What happened, Moti? Missing Vijay?” She touched Moti’s cheek with affection. “You went to his home?”

“No! I don’t miss him anymore. I won’t.” Moti smiled calmly. “He has gone doing his own duty. I still have my duties to be done. He has followed his destiny. I was not in his destiny. My fate has written something different for me. He was a distraction to the path of my fate. He is gone; now there is nothing in front of me and my destiny.”

“What are you telling, Moti? What is in your fate?” Jodha asked. 

“My destiny is to follow you. To walk with you. To abide by your orders. To protect you from every danger.” Moti held her hands. “Jodha, you are jumping in fire tomorrow. You have chosen to burn in fire for the rest of your life to protect your people. I might not take the pain of burning from you. But I can stay by your side till the end of it.” 

“What does it even mean, Moti…” Jodha pulled her closer. “Are you going to…”

“I am coming with you in Agra, Jodha.” Moti smiled again. “I have made a special request to the king. I am going to stay with you as your companion in Agra…” 

“No Moti, No!” Jodha protested whole-heartedly. “Do you even know what does that mean? Going to Mughal Harem with me means sacrificing your future. Moti, you are not born to serve me forever. You deserve much more than that!” 

“What is my future, Jodha? The man with whom I had dreamt my life is no more. He has abandoned me from his life. Now you don’t do the same to me!” Moti pleased. 

“I don’t mean that, Moti but…” Jodha sighed looking at Moti’s pitiful eyes. “Moti, life always gives a second chance. You will get a chance as well…”

“You are getting another chance in your life, Jodha…” Moti’s voice was grave serious. “Are you happy with that chance? Or you are just carrying it out as the call of your destiny?” 

Jodha stayed quiet. Moti held her hands again. 

“Remember how we used to be sad thinking that we are going apart after our marriage? Now I am not going to let it happen. Wherever Jodha Bai goes, this Moti will follow her. Back to hell and heaven, Moti Bai will not leave the side of Jodha Bai. Not for a moment. The battle is your own, I cannot fight it. But at least I can stand by you to catch you if you fall ever.” 

Jodha could say nothing. She only pressed her friend’s hand with a gesture of thanking her. 

After a moment, when the East sky was bright and the birds were chirping, the crowd outside was awake, getting ready for the most anticipated day; Moti slowly opened the knot of the corner of her veil. 

“Today is your marriage; I have some gift for you in this occasion.” She said as she took out a ring from her veil. Jodha’s eyes popped out as she knows the ring. 

“This is the ring… the poisonous ring… Moti how did you?”

“Shhh!” Moti whispered. “I stole it from Kunwar Bhagwant Das’s room. He had taken it from you. I went back to Amer to get this one only.” 

“You stole? But why??” Jodha exclaimed. 

“Because this is your choice and no one can snatch that from you.” Moti forcefully made Jodha wear the ring. “Listen to me, Baisa… No matter what your destiny has set for you; No matter what your people expects from you; no matter what your sense of duty tells you to do; at the end of the day the call of your heart is most important. At the end of the day the choice is yours, the decision is yours. Kunwarisa, if you ever feel your heart is getting ditched while performing all the duties; if you ever feel you are no more able to fight; please remember this little gift from your friend.” 

Jodha stared at her face for a moment in silence. Then she pulled her in a deep embrace. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the morning, Jalal was busy with some documents with Adga Sahab, a messenger requested a visit. 

“Come in.” Jalal ordered. “What’s the matter?”

“Long live the Emperor.” The messenger bowed. “The pre-wedding rituals have taken place from the bride’s side. You are also requested to…” 

“There is no time for me to play these rituals right now in an army camp that too without my family members.” Jalal told unmindfully as his mind was busy with the political matters. “Everything essential about the marriage is taken care of by my sister Bakshi Banu. Contact her if anything is needed.” 

“Of course, Majesty…” The messenger stammered. “But the brothers of the princess have come themselves with some gifts. That can be accepted when you yourself come and touch them, as they said.” 

“They have paid visit on their own, Majesty. I think you should go.” Adga Sahab commented. “I will take care of these matters.” 

“I know I should, Adga Sahab, but these matters are delicate and…” Jalal tried to say but Adga Sahab held his hand. 

“Majesty, you can trust me in this case. I will not let you down. This is your wedding day; you owe a break today.” He smiled. 

“Alright.” Jalal smiled and headed towards the guest’s restroom. The amount of the gifts made him a bit surprised at first. Then he controlled himself and greeted Bhagwant Das.  

“Pranaam Shahenshah.” Bhagwant Das greeted back. “There’s a small gift for you and your family on occasion of the marriage. Please oblige us by accepting those and taking my sister’s hand as your honourable wife.” 

“It’s most pleasure, Shahzade Sahab.” Jalal smiled. “But these were really not necessary. It looks like you have presented the gift almost equal worth of Amer’s three years Annual tax!” 

Maybe it was only a fun statement; but Bhagwant Das could feel the sting inside his heart. Again the reality stung very hard. They are not marrying off their sister; they are actually getting the pass of being a free province under Mughal supervision; Jodha is only acting as a token in this deal; and maybe all these dowries are self-proclaimed tax given by the Amer’s king as a token of submission. This is the truth, and nothing can erase this stigma from their legacy no matter what they do! He cleared his throat. “In our custom, we have to pay an amount of wealth to the man who is obliging us by accepting the hand of our daughter.” 

“Well, I am not sure it is a great custom but anyways… I feel there is a custom like this in every religions’ wedding.” Jalal said with a smile. “However, welcome in my camp once again, Bhagwant Das Sahib. I hope today you will not hesitate to eat or drink anything offered by me?” 

“Pardon, Majesty. In our custom the family of the bride cannot take anything from the groom’s home during marriage.” Bhagwant Das refused politely. 

“Very strange custom.” Jalal sounded disheartened. “Well never mind; I won’t listen to any of your excuses when you first come to visit my actual home in Agra. Now please have a sit…” He looked at the other people standing behind Bhagwant Das. “I have not met any of your family members. If you could introduce…” 

“Sure…” Bhagwant Das smiled politely. Jalal noted that the fire which was burning inside the prince’s heart at the previous day is already extinguished. The pinch of agony is still there in his eyes; which will go eventually… But he was not so sure about the others following him. 

“He is Ratan Singh, Majesty. And he is Madhav Singh beside him. They are my younger brothers. He is Govindram, he is Sukhamal, our chief officers and our faithful associates. And this boy is my son, Majesty…”

Jalal’s eyes stuck at the kid of almost fourteen-fifteen years, whom Bhagwant Das introduced as his son. The boy is tall, fair, muscular; as handsome as a pure Rajput blood is expected to be. But there is something more in that kid. Some kind of fire which is missing in his father; missing in the rest of the people… The boy was standing still, his head was held high in self-respect; his sword was dangling straight in his waistband; and his eyes never met the emperor. He was gazing at some other thing, clearly as an act of ignoring the mighty emperor’s presence. Some might ignore it thinking as a young boy’s unmindful attitude; but Jalal could not. Because he understood what is it; this is a clear sign of showing adamant bitterness over someone… this is the same way Jalal would react when he had been a teenager. 

The boy is a kingly material. Jalal’s eyes shined as he felt the ray of confidence coming out from the adamant gesture of the boy. The boy hates him very naturally. But Jalal cannot waste his potential because of this hatred. The boy has to respect him; the boy has to obey him; and he will make sure of it. 

“What is your name kid?” Jalal asked in a friendly manner. The boy did not react. Not a single muscle of his face moved. 

“I asked, what is your name, boy?” Jalal asked again. 

“Answer to his Majesty, Maan.” Ratan Singh blurted out. “Can’t you hear?” 

“Sorry Kakasa; I am not acquainted with such addressing like ‘kid’ or ‘boy’; ” the boy said sharply. “I am not an ordinary ‘kid’; I am the prince of Amer. The emperor of Hindustan must know how to properly address a respected prince of a kingdom.” 

“Maan…” Bhagwant Das was trying to say something, but Jalal raised his hand to stop. He looked amused. “I am sorry. This is entirely my fault; though I never insulted you intentionally. My Prince, may I know your name?” 

“My father already spelled my name, in case you did not notice. However, since you asked, ” The boy picked his eyes directly on Jalal’s eyes… “My name is Maan Singh.” 

The eyes of the boy are blazing, as Jalal had guessed. But something looked very odd to Jalal. His eyes looked familiar. Very familiar. He could not remember where he has seen those, but his sharp memory kept on twinging inside… And then he observed something even more odd. The boy’s expression frequently changed- from rage to confusion to shock; and then he kept on staring at the emperor’s face numbly, as if he had been shell-shocked!

Maybe Jalal would like to dig something more about the boy; but he was running a tight schedule. He looked back to Bhagwant Das Sahib. 

“Make yourself comfortable, Shahzada Sahib. I would like to sit and talk with you people, but I have got some very essential works…”

“Of course, Majesty… We also have a lot to take care of. We will be waiting for your path today afternoon in our fort.” Bhagwant Das nodded. “Now allow us to leave and prepare for your welcome in our palace.” 

“Have a safe journey, Bhagwant Das Sahab…” Jalal greeted as the princes proceeded to leave. Jalal felt weird for a moment as prince Maan Singh was still staring at his face, this time his eyes had the expression of pure scare and uneasiness. He was clearly lost, as his father has to nudge him to get him out of the room. 

The question kept on twinging in Jalal’s head for the rest of the day… who is this boy? Where did he see him before?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Let me meet Buasa once!”

“Sorry, you can’t get in!”

“I said let me get in!”

“I said you can’t!”

Maan Singh was feeling irritated to even face these women; but he had no choice. He tried again, this time softer. “Kaki-Sa, please try to understand. I have something very important to talk with her. Her whole life depends on it…”

“O really? What is that great news, then?” 

Maan Singh sighed. He knew he cannot spilt the truth to anyone except Buasa right now. He does not know what is going on; he does not know what can be the consequence, but he will not take any decision without talking to Buasa. She deserves to know! 

“KakiSa please…” 

“You know Maan that after the Pithi Dastoor the bride cannot see others. Wait for some more hours. She is already started getting ready.” KakiSa told. 

“You don’t understand, this is more important than your bogus rituals!” Maan said impatiently. 

“Stop it Maan, or I will call your Maasa!” Kaki-Sa threatened. 

“Yes call her; I hope she is more sensible than you!” Maan grumped. Though he knew that he is not going to be allowed to see Jodha before only some hours of marriage. And in this short time no decision can be made. But still… she deserves to know!

Though Maan was unsure what to tell her. He himself is yet to digest the whole fact. He was still unsure that what he saw was truth. He could not even imagine in his worst possible dream that the man whom he had delivered a letter from his Buasa a long time ago near the abandoned temple outside the fort can actually be the Mughal emperor himself! 

Maybe he is wrong? Maybe he was not the same man? Maybe it’s mistake of eyes? Or maybe they are somewhat look-alike? Now Maan does not remember every single feature of that man’s face. That man was clad in poor old Rajput attire, face darkened in dust and sun; and the emperor is the most gorgeous man in every sense; be it his attire or grace… how in dream the both can be same? 

But they are! Whatever Maan Singh can recall, and whatever he can see in front of his eyes, he can bet that this impossible incident has become true!

The man who had secretly penetrated in the kingdom a long time ago; the man who was caught red-handed as a Mughal; the man who was later found to be a secret lover of his Buasa, is now turned out to be the emperor of the Mughals? And Maan Singh is the only man to know this right now? 

What kind of play of destiny is this! 

“Don’t stand in the way, Maan…” Kaki Sa pleaded. “You can talk to her when she gets ready as a bride. Just a matter of some hours… You can say to me if it is that important, I will pass it to her.” 

Maan took a long breath. None can know this before her. No one… 

“Never mind.” He uttered and get out of the place… 

Now he could only pray to God to make everything alright!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The gorgeous peacock-blue sherwani-kurta embroidered with priceless gems; the valuable pearl and gem necklaces and the turban designed with groom’s accessories… Jalal was having the finishing touch as the groom right before leaving for the palace of Sambhar. For a moment he looked at his image in the mirror, and a little smile came on his lips. The attire of groom does not create any excitement inside him anymore. But the first time when he had been forced to wear this, he was only 11 years old, and he was very irritated. Ruqaiya, his bride that day, on the other hand, was very happy to get new dresses and jewelleries. Strange that they got married in such a young age that any of them hardly knew what is the meaning of the relationship. He was happy to get a harmless plaything, and she was happy to get a mighty playmate. They became pure friends; but their relationship never proceeded to change the dynamic. Their marriage is so stale, so stagnant… Now Jalal has moved on from his harmless playthings to the dangerous pawns of politics; Ruqaiya is still happy in her real dollhouse of Harem and her priceless dresses and jewelleries. How strange; in their long married life they don’t even know each-other! 

Salima Begam, on the other hand, is closer to heart. They have been married out of circumstances, and their relationship is not exactly how a normal husband-wife relationship should be; but at least he feels free while talking to her. But there is a wall in between them. That wall will take lifetime to break. Jalal can never have a normal marital relationship with Salima.

The other Begams of Harem… Ruksana, Kashima, Gauhar… and a lot… not all of them were married in a proper way. They were just welcomed in palace and officially regarded as queens in the court. He did not get the time to celebrate a proper wedding with them, let alone the thought of knowing them as wives… Jalal has been busy in his whole life… busy in war, busy with throne… he never thought about his own expectations from marriage; his personal life.

But he is thinking today. He is thinking how his next married life can be. Like how he spent all his last night imagining how the life could be if he could get Purnima as his wife! 

Jodha Bai’s words in that letter was swirling inside his mind. A negotiation to form a relationship… as she termed this marriage. One day he had fallen in love with a stranger woman in a stranger land under the open sky and shower of moonlight; his love had no condition, no bindings… and today again he is going to be bound in another terms of negotiation; a negotiation of marriage as they speak…  Can a deal ever create a relationship; or can blossom the flower of love between the dealers? 

Jalal closed his eyes and sighed deeply. His mind was again stuck in the storm which he is fighting every moment. Princess Jodha Bai. Her words in that letter. Purnima. Purnima’s words. Purnima’s smile. Purnima’s touch. Purnima’s tears. Jodha Bai’s graceful demands. Purnima’s soulful urges. Jodha’s official scroll containing the conditions of marriage. Purnima’s piece of parchment containing her heartfelt confession… both are different. Hell and heaven different! Still why both feel so same? 

Why the handwritings, the type of the ink, the forming of the words are same in Jodha Bai and Purnima’s letter? Mere coincidence? 

“Shahenshah!” Abdul sought attention.

“Yes Abdul. I am ready, order the people to start.” Jalal looked at him. Abdul was looking a bit hesitant. 

“Shahenshah, I am unsure whether it is the right time; but…” 

“Tell me what you want to say…” Jalal asked. 

“My Lord…” Abdul cleared his throat. “I have found Vaidya Sadanand. He has been taken here in this camp.”

Jalal kept on staring at Abdul. 

ENSI73 thumbnail

Beautiful chapter 💕💕💕

How cruel you can be to end it hear😡😡

Plz plz update soon 

Jjlove thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

How can u end the chapter at this point of time atleast have some mercy on us we were waiting from 1 month leaving all this it was a good chapter and plzzzzzzz try to update fast can't wait another month for reading next

divyadaya13 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Oh! You had to end it at this juncture. Pls pls update soon.

Kavya_P thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Awesome chappy Di 

Let marriage complete first 

Can't wait for them to see each other 

Update soon Di 

Like really soon

Thanks for pM Di 

pari0706 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

So now just moments before their marriage both Jodha and jalal are about to find out the truth of each other. 

And jalal oh jalal how can you forget maan!!!! I love maan’s description and how jalal wishes to train maan

Lovely update please continue soon as I am eagerly waiting to see what happens when both of them come to know the truth

I am also looking forward to the reactions of others in the family on seeing jalal. 

Or even jalal’s reaction as he now clearly knows that purnima was suffering and will not take a genius to know why is she made to marry like this. As this is almost like a punishment.