The Thematic Use of Water in Prem and Teja's Relationship!

Cat. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 6 years ago
Ok, I'm a bit bored and needed to write, so bear with me in this self-indulgence spree😆
Lets start with the promos, there's a constant reference to Tejaswini as aandhi in the promos, she is the symbolic coming storm, the storm that meets the raging fire that is Prem, two entities that are headstrong and dominant in their own right without giving way to another. The only way to put out a raging fire like Prem is with loads and loads of water and the incoming storm that is Tejaswini brings with her loads and loads of water.

Now onto their first meeting. The minute Prem swaggers into the college, the clouds turn grey, heavy-laden with impending rain, the minute Tejaswini steps forwards, she brings the storm, dark and pregnant with heavy-laden intent. Here it can be interpreted as she is the storm in his life, and while a storm can be destructive, it can also be relieving to a parched dry land. A storm is also often referred to as bringing a huge change in someone's life and here I think it represents the fact that Tejaswini will shake up Prem's life.

The day Tejaswini gets drunk and Prem solicitously looks after her, we see the rain again, drenching them both to the bone, an indication that the coming storm is not just going to bring changes to Prem's life but also to Tejaswini's life. She may be the storm, but the effects of her coming to Rajpipla will be felt in both their lives.

In the pool scene, Prem challnges her to meet him near the pool, not only does she meet the challenge head-on, she smashes it with a hammer metaphorically speaking. She wades into the deep pool, surprising a bemused Prem. After all she is the storm, what is a little bit of water going to do to her?

Tejaswini loves the smell of rain hitting the ground(as do I), so a Prem half-in love with her tries to bring the rain to her , delighting  her heart initially with it but as things go, its not the real storm, the real one is already standing there, her eyes flashing at the pretence & even though for a moment she allowed herself to enjoy the water, she does not appreciate the artificial storm even though the gesture behind it was genuine. Maybe a hint, that perhaps that Prem should only bring the fire to the relationship and that she is storm enough for the both of them(sorry I'm kind of rambling here)

So just a bit of fun here, I see them using the water imagery a lot, so wanted to tie it all together, some of its a bit of a fetch whereas others are quite blatant😆 but all and all just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dasamrita500 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Bravo Cat!! Clap Clap. It's a really change in bored rainy Sunday. You're being like mahesh pandey in thinking giving a different outlook from diff angle. I appreciate what you wrote is absolutely true. Tejaswini came to Rajpipla to raise storm in PSR's life. To quote West Wind it's both destroyer and preserver of life. The promo had backdrop of water and fire simultaneously.
BTW are you a literature student Cat just asking from your writing skill
Cat. thumbnail

Originally posted by: dasamrita500

Bravo Cat!! Clap Clap. It's a really change in bored rainy Sunday. You're being like mahesh pandey in thinking giving a different outlook from diff angle. I appreciate what you wrote is absolutely true. Tejaswini came to Rajpipla to raise storm in PSR's life. To quote West Wind it's both destroyer and preserver of life. The promo had backdrop of water and fire simultaneously.
BTW are you a literature student Cat just asking from your writing skill

Was many moons ago😆
 Thank you, was just bored & needed to write today!

SuzanneH thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

You should be bored more often, Cat!!  That was fantastic! 

I had a sudden vision that the writers of the show took a look on India Forums and read your commentary and then quickly had to change their direction, "Umm...yes, yes, that's exactly what we were trying to do.  Attention writers: if anyone asks, we're going with fire and rain!" 

You should seriously write a book on symbolism.

"The Beauty of Symbolism as Seen in Bollywood Films" written by Cat

Cat. thumbnail

Originally posted by: SuzanneH

You should be bored more often, Cat!!  That was fantastic! 

I had a sudden vision that the writers of the show took a look on India Forums and read your commentary and then quickly had to change their direction, "Umm...yes, yes, that's exactly what we were trying to do.  Attention writers: if anyone asks, we're going with fire and rain!" 

You should seriously write a book on symbolism.

"The Beauty of Symbolism as Seen in Bollywood Films" written by Cat

Haha.Thanks Suzanne.Sometimes I feel I am just overreaching for stuff in the show. But I am a huge fan of symbolisms, I love poetry, so you can see how this works😆
SuzanneH thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Cat.

Haha.Thanks Suzanne.Sometimes I feel I am just overreaching for stuff in the show. But I am a huge fan of symbolisms, I love poetry, so you can see how this works😆

I don't think you're overreaching at all because I see so much happening on the show as well.  Because we know there are secrets in the story, there is always an underlying element of the unknown.  Is this connected to that secret?  Does he have those feelings?  

I think it makes for a far better story line.  If the story was just at face value, then it wouldn't have us so intrigued and expounding on Prem's virtues or lack thereof.  

Let my water quench your thirst,
I will be the one to love you first.

Cool down the embers of your flame,
So that your wild heart I can tame.

Should your raging fire come too near,
My tempest storm shall have no fear.

I will rain down on your tempered heart,
For you will not break our love apart. 

Come to me and I will make you whole,
Let my love consume your very soul.

Well, that's my attempt at poetry.  It rhymes! ðŸ˜•
It would be better if you continued to delight us with your symbolism instead. ðŸ˜Š