Nearing the end. 

Emotional one.

Cheers
star_fan1 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 6 years ago
Wonderful update really loved it too much
It's getting complicated and  interesting day by day
Let's when Aman will confess his feelings and how will his misunderstanding get cleared
Waiting for next update eagerly 
Breath-Mark thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Aman is the safe and best choice. Payal also seems to have hopes on him before he even confessed his feelings. He clearly has advantage. 
Also both arhi approve of it. 

Akash is shown to regret and fulfill his duties more than love Payal. But i really think he loved her for better or worse.

Hope that meeting wasnt the last one. I still ship PaYash
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

A/N: This is going to be a long author's note so you have been warned beforehand.πŸ˜†

Finally, we have reached the end of 'Keep Loving Me, Will you?" and this is the only story of mine that I feel I have taken the most and the least time to complete. Most, because of the obvious reason. I started posting this in October 2013 and this is June 2017. Let that sink in. πŸ˜† Four years! I am almost feeling embarrassed about it. πŸ˜³

But, this is also the story that I finished in the least time. How so? Before this story had to see the ugly face of a hiatus, I had posted only 15 chapters. Now we're at Chapter 31 (+ the Epilogue. Yes, there is an epilogue πŸ˜‰ ). I wrote over 15 chapters in a month and that is an achievement for me. Never have I ever done that. So, this story is both my pride and my embarrassment. 

Now, coming back to the story, I have tried my best to give it a proper ending but those who haven't read my other stories, I am not a champion at wrapping up my stories. I haven't written any great epilogues or last chapters which would make people think yes, this was the best ending. I suck at writing last chapters. But, I think, this one is not so bad (you can decide for yourself after reading it and let me know if you think it could have been better and if yes, then how would you have preferred it. I'd love to read some alternate endings) πŸ˜ƒ

I think this is enough bakwaas. Here goes nothing!

Chapter 31: Hand Me Your Heart

Aman parked his car into the hospital parking and then got down the car. After the lunch hour, he had had a quick bite and slipped out of the office.

Arnav was occupied with Khushi so Aman was glad that he didn't have to bother about letting Arnav know that he was planning to give a visit to his brother dearest.

Even though Arnav had assured Aman that the last decision in this case was going to be made by Payal and Akash was going to stay in his limits, Aman had to know for himself.

First, he'll meet Akash and tell him in clear words that Payal was no longer alone so Akash needed to behave. And then he will tell Akash that he liked Payal and would do anything to make sure Payal is safe.

But, when Aman walked up to Akash's hospital room, he felt a hot knife being driven into his chest.

Payal was there. She was with Akash. Akash had his arms around Payal and it was clear the two of them were having a private moment right before he barged in.

Aman was not ready for the pain that shot through his heart upon seeing Payal so close to Akash.

Did she forgive him? How can she do that? Does she still love Akash despite everything?

Aman had wanted to whirl out of the room, to become invisible so no one would see what he felt in that moment. But, before Aman could gather his wits, Payal had noticed him.

Aman too didn't fail to notice the surprise and embarrassment that crawled upon Payal's face after she had quickly stepped away from Akash.

He wanted to shout, scream, demand from Payal how can she go back into the arms of this vile man who ruined her life?

He watched as she quickly left the room and Aman's gaze narrowed on Akash who was still gazing after Payal.

Aman wanted to hurl harsh words at Akash but the man already looked beat.

"What is the purpose of your visit, Aman?" Akash asked him after a second, but Aman didn't speak.

He stood contemplating if he should deal with Akash first or go after Payal.

"Aman?" Akash repeated his name but Aman, having made his decision, turned on his heels and chased after Payal with quick, long strides.

He has to tell Payal about his feelings and he will do it now. 

By the time Aman reached Payal, she was already out of the main building and heading towards the gate.

"Payal" Aman called her name and Payal froze in her tracks. She didn't turn.

"Say it, Aman" Aman urged himself as he jogged up to Payal. Now or never!

~~~

Payal's heartbeats were racing. She had practically run out of the building and when she heard Aman call her name, her legs stopped on their own.

She heard Aman reach up to her and then he was in front of her, looking at her face with eyes that held myriad emotions in them. She could tell that he was about to say something. Something that she was not ready to hear!

Was he going to rebuke her for coming up here to meet Akash? Or was he going to judge her for what he saw in the hospital room? But as Aman started speaking, she was rendered thoughtless.

"Since the very first day I saw you, I was intrigued by you, Payal. And as we met again, we talked; I could see it in your eyes that you were burdened by a painful past and you were slowly sinking into hopelessness. I think I was pulled towards you because I knew that feeling and for some inexplicable reason, I wanted to save you from it. I mean I didn't even know you properly back then and I am not saying I still know you completely. But I want to, Payal. Over the two months, whenever I am around you, I have been feeling things I should not feel, things that I thought I will never feel again. You're a wonderfully amazing person, Payal. You're beautiful and strong. You are loving and caring. You are compassionate. And you know what, Payal? My life has none of these things. 

But from the moment you have come into my life, I see hope, Payal. I think that maybe I can get all of these things. I...What I am trying to say is that..I like you, Payal, and I want all those things that only you can give me" Aman poured his heart out to a stupefied Payal who was only staring at Aman with disbelief.

"Aman..I don't know what you're saying. This..How? When? We are just friends" Payal grabbed at straws, telling herself that this was a dream. Nothing about this d aymade sense. 

First, Akash asked her to marry him. And now Aman says that he likes her?

She watched with a hammering heart as Aman caught her hand and then held it softly in his.

"We are friends, Payal. We will always be. But, we can be more too. Trust me, we can be happy together. We can fulfill each other, Payal. I need a mother for my daughter. You need a father for your baby. But, this is not the only reason, Payal. The biggest reason is that I want to be with you, I want to know you more, I want to fall head over heels in love with you. I want to live again, Payal. With you.  And you don't know just how badly I want you to feel the same way for me as I feel for you. That's crazy, right? I don't know if you even like me in that way or not, or if you even consider me worthy enough for yourself. But, I promise you, Payal, that I will work every day to be the person you deserve, to be the person you can learn to love someday" Aman finished and Payal felt her heart filling up with a constricting emotion.

How can he think that he is not already the person she wants for herself? You are, Aman. Her heart whispered.

But, what about her baby and Akash?

And as if Aman could read her thoughts, he slowly moved his hands up and placed them on her both arms, holding her gaze at the same time.

"But, in the end, if you choose Akash, I'll respect your decision, Payal. While I may not think of Akash as the ideal human being, if you still love him, if you want to be with him..I'll back off. It is and always will be your choice. I also know that I don't stand much chance against Akash because he is your first love and also the father of your baby. I can understand if you choose him..or if you have already chosen him.."

"I haven't" Payal immediately cut off Aman.

"What you saw was just a moment, Aman. It didn't mean what it must have looked like" Payal continued and she watched the relief that flooded Aman's features.

He really did care about her. It was right there on his face and in his words. Payal realized that there was no way she could keep herself in denial anymore. 

"But, I don't think you and I can be together, Aman. I don't deserve someone as good as you. I am broken goods. You deserve someone who is whole, someone who does not come with a baggage" Payal answered, hiding her gaze from Aman and Aman's hands slid away from her arms.

"Is that what you think, Payal? That YOU are not good enough for me? How on earth you came to that conclusion? You think I am any better? I am broken too, Payal. But you are already healing me. The hole that was in my heart after Shweta left, it is finally closing, Payal. The pain is leaving. Because of you. You're all I can ever ask for, Payal" Aman said passionately and Payal almost hugged him.

It was surreal to be wanted by Aman. To hear that he liked her. Because, Payal could easily imagine a life with him. She will be happy with Aman and it will be natural like breathing.

"Akash says he wants to marry me" Payal finally revealed.

"What do YOU want, Payal"? Aman asked her instead, looking into her eyes.

Payal asked herself the same question. What does she want? Can she go back to Akash? Today, Payal had seen glimpses of the Akash she had fallen in love with. She could also see that the Akash she had met today was different from the man who was hell bent on ruining her life. Yet, despite everything, Payal couldn't bring herself to feel the same love she once felt for him.

She still cared deeply for Akash. But it was not love anymore. Just as it became clear to Payal, she looked at Aman.

"Please wait for me" She asked Aman.

"I'll be here until you comeback" Aman replied. He could see that Payal had made a decision. He just had to wait and find out if he was going to be the one walking away with nothing or with everything.

He watched Payal turn on her heels and walk back inside the hospital. He held his breath.

~~~

Akash's face lit up as he noticed Payal walking inside the room once again.

"Pay..."

"I believe you, Akash. I believe that you have changed, and even though it may take me days, weeks, or months to completely trust you again, or I might never completely trust you again, I can believe that you have changed. And it is for the same reason that I am ready to give you a second chance. You can be the father of my baby. I will not keep you away from him or her. But, I cannot marry you, Akash" Payal said to Akash.

Akash's face crumpled with anguish and sorrow and he sat up on the bed.

"Please, Payal. Don't say that. I love you. I need you in my life. I can't live without you. And you love me too. Don't you remember?" Akash instantly grabbed Payal's hand, not letting it go.

"I am not the same person who loved you, Akash. I have changed.  None of us are the same people. And you were right, I still care about you. Maybe I'll always do, because you were my first love. But, I don't see a future for us. The love that you are talking about...it's not there. It extinguished" Payal replied, her own voice equally sad.

"No, no. That's not true, Payal. I can prove it you. You still love me.." Before Payal could get a clue, Akash had pulled her closer and placed his lips upon hers, kissing her.

Payal immediately stiffened and she pulled away from him. She was halfway from slapping him when she heard the cold voice.

"What the f**k is wrong with you, Akash?

Payal instantly stepped several feet away from the bed and found herself being hugged by Khushi.

She watched from the corner of her eye as Arnav walked towards the bed and glared angrily at his brother.

"Did you just try to force yourself on her? The woman who is pregnant with you child?" Payal could see the rage that was rolling off of Arnav and she was thankful to god that Aman hadn't come inside with them. 

"No, Bhai. That's not what I was doing" Akash looked like a brick had been hurled at him. He looked wounded by Arnav's words.

"I was just trying to prove to Payal that she still lov.."

"Shut up, Akash or so help me god, I'll punch you in the face" Arnav's words held a promise to them but Akash barely paid heed to them.

"Please, Payal. Tell me that you didn't feel anything? Tell me that you didn't feel the same love for me?" Akash looked pleadingly at Payal and Payal stepped out from the protective arms of her sister.

Even Khushi looked ready to choke Akash.

"No, Akash. I didn't feel the love. In fact, I felt disgusted. I felt violated" Payal shouted the words at him.

She watched the confusion play on Akash's face. The confusion then slowly vanished and Akash's shoulders slumped. It looked like it was finally dawning on him that the love he had taken for granted was now truly lost to him.

"I know it is hard, Akash" Payal spoke again, this time taking one slight step towards him.

"I felt the same. I had to come to terms with the fact that you did not love me in the same way I loved you. And trust me, it was harder for me. I was broken. I had no one but Khushi to help me. But, you have your entire family with you. And I still stand by my words. You will be allowed to be the father you want to be to my.. to our baby. But before that, show me that you're worthy of my trust. You have four months to learn to be a good person, to be the kind of person you want your child to know you as" Payal finished.

Akash was still not looking at her and Arnav was still shooting daggers at his brother from his eyes.

Khushi was simply staring at Akash with a disgusted face.

"I am sorry, Payal" Akash finally murmured.

"For everything" He added, finally lifting his gaze and looking at her.

Tears lined Payal's eyes.

Akash could see that his words had an effect on Payal and one day she might even forgive him, but she will always remember what he did. There was no erasing the ugly chapter he had written in her life.

"Let's leave, Jeeji. Amanji is waiting outside" Khushi broke the silence and Payal slowly walked out of the room with her.

After both the sisters left the room, Arnav moved towards Akash.

"How can you even say that you love her? I thought you have changed, Akash, but what you tried to do today?  I can't even look at you right now. All I can say is that you still have a long way to come and realize what is right and wrong" Arnav's words were harsh and unforgiving.

Akash didn't say anything. He continued to stare at the empty wall ahead.

"Are you even listening to me, Akash? I promised Aman that you will no longer hurt Payal but what you.."

"What has Aman got to do with all of this?" Akash's head finally whipped towards Arnav. It made Arnav realize that apparently Aman hadn't yet talked to Akash. Arnav had assumed that it was the reason why Aman had sneaked from the office to come here. Well, this was simply going to add insult to injury for Akash but Akash has to know this.

"Aman likes Payal" Arnav said. The words staggered Akash for a second and he looked at his brother to know if Arnav was joking.

"Aman Mathur? Your manager? Likes Payal? My Payal?" Akash asked, bewildered.

"First of all, she is not YOUR Payal, Akash. She just walked out of your life and you apologized to her for everything. So, don't let any idea come to your mind and ruin what Payal is offering you. If you want Payal to not hate you completely, I suggest that you do not get involved into this. Aman likes Payal and from the looks of it, Payal too might have a soft corner for Aman. So, stay out of it. Be the good person you so badly want to be. Don't do anything stupid. This is not just a brother's advice but also a brother's warning. An advice from your brother and a warning from Aman's! Because you know that Aman is important to me. And now to Payal too" Arnav delivered his words to Akash who was openly gaping at Arnav with his eyes full of raging storms.

Arnav could see Akash's brain was working at a rapid speed and so was his heart. He could understand it was going to be painful for Akash to watch Payal with Aman but he had earned this pain through his very own actions.

Akash processed Arnav's words and gulped down whatever emotions he was feeling.

"If I do not kill Aman or break his bones right after I get out of this gods damned hospital, will Payal really hate me less? Will she actually let me be a part of my child's life?" Akash asked Arnav.

Arnav nodded his head. He knew Payal will stand by her words.

"Then I'll do my best to overcome the urge to kill him"

Arnav couldn't tell if Akash meant that literally but it was good enough for now.

~~~

When Payal and Khushi reached outside, Payal found Aman standing right where she had left him. He stood resting his body weight on one leg while he was nervously tapping his other foot.

Payal could see that he was on phone.

"Go, Jeeji. Get him" Khushi's words were soft but laced with glee and Payal looked at Khushi with surprise.

"How do you.."

"Come on, Jeeji. Details later! Go on, now" Khushi cut across Payal and softly shoved her body forward.

Payal shook her head and then moved towards Aman.

Aman at once noticed Payal and his attention got fixed on her.

By the time Payal reached to Aman, he was wrapping up his call.

"Yes, I'll bring her with me, sweetie. Now daddy has to go. Bye. Love you" Aman said, and slid the phone into his pocket.

"It was Aakriti. She was asking if I'll bring you home with me" Payal could see Aman's nervousness in his faltering smile.

"I said yes. But, I'll go home and explain it to her later that you were busy" Aman didn't stop speaking and Payal didn't know if she was more amused or more touched.

"My parents want me to get married" Payal said in return, hating to see Aman's face fall.

"Right! Okay! Of course! Parents always want the best for us. I understand, Payal. Akash is offering you marriage. He is the father of.."

"No, no. Aman. I do not mean Akash. I am not marrying, Akash. I don't love him anymore. At least not in the way that makes a difference. I care about him. But, I cannot marry him" Payal quickly explained.

"Then who?" Aman's face was still tragic.

"There is a man. His name is Mukesh and he was in my school back in Lucknow" Payal replied, scratching the ground with her toe.

"Oh! You like him"? Aman asked Payal and Payal looked at Aman, her eyes asking if he was really asking this question.

"I don't exactly have men lining up to marry me, Aman. I have to choose from what I have got" She answered and Aman looked baffled for a second.

"Read between the lines, dumbass" It was Arnav's mocking voice which travelled to Aman and he turned his head to look at his friend. He could see that Arnav and Khushi were trying to hold in their laughter.

Then, Aman looked back at Payal who was turning into the colour of beet root with embarrassment.

"Oh" Aman said, the bulb in his head finally lighting up.

He immediately moved to Payal and held her hand.

"Payal, will you marry me?"

"Dumbass" Arnav commented again this time only to receive a pinch from Khushi and a glare from Aman.

"Payal, I promise that I'll always keep you happy and in return, you'll always have to share your 'bread pakodas' with me. I promise you that I'll always be your friend and in return you'll have to rescue me from Aakriti's late night pasta demands. I promise you that I'll never let you shed a tear and in return you'll have to let me pamper this latest member in our life" Aman said and Payal let out a mixed sob of happiness and laugh.

"You'll have to talk to my Babuji and Amma" She replied in return.

"Don't worry about that, Payal. Khushi is already eager to do that" Arnav said, finally Khushi and him walking towards them.

"No, no. now that Amanji has professed his feelings to Jeeji, I think he should be the one to brave this final battle too. But, of course, I'll be there to take your side, Amanji" Khushi replied, smiling widely.

Aman too smiled gratefully, his eyes looking where Payal still held his hand in hers.

"Let's do it tonight" He said.

Payal looked at Khushi and then back at Aman and then she nodded.

"I really hope he's talking about meeting with your Babuji and not something else" Arnav muttered to Khushi whose mouth fell open.

"Haww..! Don't say such things, Arnav" She whispered back to him.

"Doesn't matter how many haww's you do, Khushi. Soon, we'll be doing it too" Arnav said again, his voice low and teasing.

"I don't want to talk to you right now" Khushi made a face while her insides were tickled by his words.

She moved closer to Payal and stuck a tongue towards Arnav. Arnav winked at her.

"I think all of us should get moving now. And Aman, I am deducting money from your salary this month" Arnav then focused his words towards Aman who scowled.

"On what account?" He asked Arnav, still holding Payal's hand which he could feel Payal was now trying to take back.

"Well, for starters, today you sneaked out of the office without informing your boss. Then, you have been distracted this entire month and not paying enough attention on the work. So, that qualifies for some salary deduction" Arnav replied.

"Screw you, boss" Aman answered, rolling his eyes.

"I'll fire your ass if you keep talking to me like that" Arnav said, raising an eyebrow.

"Jeeji, let's go sit in the car and these two can squabble here" Khushi said, taking Payal's other hand.

"Amanji, let go of Jeeji's hand" Khushi said to Aman.

"Take your woman out of here, ASR. I was having a moment with Payal before you two showed up" Aman replied, not letting Payal's hand go.

"Oh really? It looked like to me that you were in desperate need of our help. Anyway, Khushi and I have better places to be" This time Arnav grabbed Khushi's hand.

"We do?" Khushi looked at Arnav.

"Yes, come on, now" Arnav said, dragging her away.

Only Payal and Aman remained there, gazing into each other's eyes. Standing together, holding each other's hand, they knew that the rest of things will slowly fall into place on their own.

Scroll Down for the Last Chapter

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 6 years ago
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail

Epilogue:  Keep Loving Me

Arnav looked at the watch and then at the door. It was 8:00 p.m. sharp and Khushi wasn't here.

Arnav straightened his tie and then gulped another glass of water.

"Is she there yet?" His phone beeped with the message and reading it Arnav frowned.

"No. And stop poking your nose into it, Aman" Arnav texted back and then put his phone in silent mode.

"Are you ready to order now, sir?" The waiter arrived at Arnav's table for the second time and Arnav shook his head.

"No. And don't come here again until I ask for a waiter" Arnav replied a little irritably although he knew it wasn't the waiter's fault that he had arrived half an hour ahead of the scheduled time.

The waiter politely dipped his head and left.

Arnav was again reaching for the water glass when he felt it. Khushi was here.

He looked at the entrance and she was there. Wearing a dark green button down shirt with full, loose sleeves and faded black skinny jeans, she looked gorgeous. Her long, silky hair were open and the minimal makeup only enhanced her already beautiful features. When she located him, a dazzling smile appeared on her face, leaving Arnav blindsided for a second. No matter how many times she smiled at him like that Arnav was always dazed by it.

The one year that she had spent working her way up as a trainee designer had given Khushi not only added confidence but also a feeling of self. Arnav often noticed that she loved her new work. It gave her more chance to grow and experiment, to learn. In just one year, Khushi had been awarded the position of a junior designer and it was why Arnav had decided to celebrate the occasion by taking her out to a fancy dinner.

But, this dinner was special for more than one reason. As Khushi walked towards him, Arnav patted his jacket's inside pocket to make sure he had the ring in place. Arnav had been planning to propose to Khushi for more than two months now but every time something will crop up and would jeopardize his plans. The last month, Arnav had even reserved a table at this very same restaurant but that week Khushi had ended up stuck in work, assisting Mr. Chaurasia with their summer collection.

It had been a very important opportunity for Khushi and Arnav had decided to postpone rather than to expect Khushi to give up the opportunity for what she assumed was a simple weekend dinner.

Arnav and Khushi were officially dating for eight months now.

In the first few weeks after Aman had proposed to Payal, Arnav and Khushi too had been thrown into the pandemonium.

The very same day, Aman had visited Gupta house again and expertly influenced the entire family. Khushi's Babuji and Amma were more than elated to hear about it. The fact that no one had even batted an eye about Aman already having a daughter had made Khushi and Payal realize once again just how progressive their parents were.

Although a little noise had been made by Aman's family about Payal's pregnancy, mostly Aman's grandmother, everyone else had gradually accepted Payal.

In the next two months, Aman and Payal had gotten married. Aman had delayed the honeymoon because Payal was in her final trimester and the doctor had advised Payal to avoid any and all travelling.

But amidst all of this, the most significant change had been seen in Akash. Staying true to his words, Akash had avoided all contact with Aman for a month. He had started slow with Payal. Initially, there had been weekly calls and then meetings in the presence of either Khushi or Anjali or Nani.

The equation between Payal and Akash had slowly shifted to a polite one. But after two months, this polite equation had given way to a casual friendship which also involved occasional meetings with Aman.

But after one complete year, Aman and Akash had managed to develop a civil, semi-formal relationship. Arnav often noticed that whatever tension still remained between the two men was more on Akash's end.

Somewhere, Akash still held the resentment that he could have had a perfect family with Payal if Aman hadn't stepped in. But, Arnav appreciated his brother's silence over it.

"What's on your mind?" Khushi asked him, settling in her chair.

"Just thinking how ravishing you look tonight" Arnav replied smiling, the other thoughts disappearing from his head.

"Same goes to you. You look...devouring" Khushi said, giving Arnav a full assessing glance.

Arnav liked this confidence on Khushi.

"I am open to devouring after the dessert" Arnav replied, his tone humorous but his eyes completely meaning the words.

Khushi squirmed in her chair. She often marveled at Arnav's and her patience for taking their relationship so drudgingly slow.

There had been moments when the two had found themselves dangerously close to the line but every time one of them managed to find their way back to the safe zone.

Tonight, Khushi decided it was going to be Arnav who will have to impede their desires because she had no mood of doing so.

Just looking at Arnav's perfectly gelled hair, his black jacket over a deep blue shirt, Khushi was itching to get close to him.

It was strange how their love and passion still burned so bright, waiting to become an inferno.

Khushi felt the fire running in her veins when she noticed Arnav's tongue darting out to moisten his lower lip. She'd love to do the same to him using her tongue.

"Step out of the guttery zone for a second" She heard Arnav's chuckle and narrowed her eyes.

"First, we should celebrate your big day. After that, I'll gladly entertain your sinful fantasies" Arnav's words were a promise and Khushi blushed.

"Ready to order" Arnav gestured to the waiter who stood in a far corner, waiting upon them.

"Hungry?" Arnav asked her.

"Very" Khushi replied.

~~~

"Are you coming to the bed or not, Aman?" Payal asked for the second time, frowning at her husband.

"Are you wearing that lingerie I brought you?" Aman asked from the balcony where he sat with his phone, enjoying some late night fresh air.

"In your dreams" Payal answered.

"Oh, I have already dreamt you in that lingerie. We had a wild night" Aman answered. He heard Payal mutter something about never taking her seriously.

"I am more serious than a man on a life support system, honey" Aman answered while texting another message to Arnav.

"Sometimes your jokes are really insensitive" Payal grumbled, coming out in the balcony.

Aman turned his gaze towards his lovely wife and found her wearing a dull, old, full length nightgown.

"We have hardly been married a year and you already find my jokes insensitive?" Aman made a fake face.

Payal finally smiled.

"Our anniversary is in a month" She exclaimed, taking a seat on the swing-set Aman was sitting.

Aman nodded, wrapping a hand around Payal's shoulder and scooting closer to her.

"You'll soon be completing one year term of being Payal Mathur. Would you like to say a few words on how this journey has been for you?" Aman winked at her, smiling.

"I am saving that for the actual day. For tonight, I'll just make do with these words" Payal answered.

"What words?"

"I love you" Payal said, turning her face towards Aman.

She watched Aman's eyes widen for a second and then his hand slipped from her shoulder.

"What?" He said, looking at her.

"I. Love. You" Payal repeated, stressing individually on each word.

In their almost one year of marriage, it had taken Aman five months to actually say the words to her. Payal had known that Aman loved her but she had yearned to hear him say it. Even at their wedding night, Aman had told her that he really liked her and she could take as much time as she wanted to completely accept him in her life.

Payal had told him that she had already accepted him but she knew he meant a different kind of acceptance.

And every day after that wedding night, Payal had bit by bit fallen in love with Aman. She had married him for the kind of man he was and the feelings he stirred in her heart. But, Payal hadn't named those feelings. Neither had Aman!

After Atharva was born, Payal had watched Aman be so natural with her son. No, Atharva was their son. Aman and hers. And also Akash's.

Akash had been with them in the hospital when Payal had given birth to Atharva.

Payal had been aware that Akash desperately wanted to be in the labour room with her but Aman's presence had stopped him from asking for that. Payal had respected that.

So, instead of Akash, it had been Aman in the labour-room, holding Payal's hand.

But, when the doctor had offered Aman to hold the baby for the first time, Aman had respectfully declined.

"It is Akash's right, and because he has been a great support to to you these two months, I don't want to steal this moment from him" Payal hadn't known what to say. Aman had then walked out of the room and Akash had been called in.

The teary smile with which Akash had held his son had made Payal's heart melt too. 

She loved Aman for stepping aside when he didn't have to. He was her husband and had the legal right to hold their newborn son.

It was Payal and Akash's mutual decision to fill Aman's name as the father of the baby in the birth certificate to avoid any legal complications. Akash had been made the official guardian.

Those were some of the things that had made Payal learn to trust Akash again. Even Aman trusted Akash to some extent when it came to Atharva.

This one year had been hell of a ride, Payal had realized. It had made Akash her friend and Aman as the man she loved.

Aman had chosen Payal's birthday to say the three words to her and it had reduced Payal to a crying, emotional mess. On the same night, they had made love for the first time. Five months after their marriage!

Payal had been ready for it for some time after the delivery but she had failed to express it to Aman. But, her birthday had been the perfect opportunity. She had hugged him and kissed him.

And now, after another six months, Payal had gathered the courage to say the words back to him. Originally she had planned to say it on their anniversary but just sitting there with Aman, looking at his beautiful face, the words just slipped out of her mouth.

Aman stared at Payal's face for a minute.

"You do?" He finally whispered.

"Since our first night together" Payal said, both smiling and blushing at the same time.

"I was that good in bed?" Aman asked and Payal slapped him on the shoulder.

"I am sorry" Aman smiled, and Payal hugged him.

"Why didn't you say anything earlier?" Aman asked her, his fingers running through Payal's hair.

"I tried many times...and then I thought I'll say it on our anniversary..but tonight, it just slipped out. I couldn't hold it in for any longer" Payal said.

"Thank you, Payal. I have been waiting to hear this from you for a long time" Aman replied, his fingers now drawing patterns on her shoulder and back.

"There is more" Payal said softly.

"What?" Aman looked at her face.

"This" Payal said, loosening the front of her night suit and Aman quickly inhaled loudly when he saw Payal wearing the red lingerie beneath her night suit.

"You're so wicked" Aman said, his eyes darkening while Payal blushed hard again.

"Did the kids...?"

"Long back" Payal replied, looking at Aman's mouth.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Aman said excitedly, getting up and scooping up Payal in his arms.

"Time for the wild night" He murmured against Payal's ears.

"Yes, please, Mr. Mathur" Payal said, batting her eyelashes at Aman who groaned at her words.

~~~

The dinner was done and Khushi let out a soft moan, tasting the first piece of her chocolate cake.

"I could eat this everyday" She said to Arnav who was observing Khushi with a very keen gaze, trying to not get aroused by the soft noises she was making.

Besides, the ring in his pocket was making him edgy and he had no idea what he was going to do first or what he was going to say.

Damn! He should have prepared better. Maybe written a speech or something!

"Are you hot?" He heard Khushi ask and  he looked at her confusingly.

"You're sweating" Khushi pointed at Arnav's forehead where sweat beads were gathering.

"No, no. I am fine" Arnav quickly answered, using his handkerchief to wipe away the proof of his nervousness.

Why was he so nervous? This should be easy. Khushi loves him. She is definitely going to say yes. 

Is she? What about her blooming career? And just a few weeks ago Khushi had mentioned that she was very worried about her Babuji's health.

Post his heart surgery, Shashi Gupta had been quite healthy but lately some complications had arisen and he had fallen seriously ill.

Thinking about everything, Arnav was not so sure about Khushi's answer.

"Are you really okay, Arnav? You look pale. Are you sick?" Khushi's voice was getting concerned and Arnav cursed himself.

Stop over thinking and just do it.

He looked at Khushi. She was still looking at him.

"I am more than okay, Khushi. I am wonderful and it is only because of you" He began and Khushi smiled.

"Before I met you, I was living a very dull life and I thought I was happy. But, after I met you, I realized what happiness actually is. I realized that I can be happier. And it was not just that. Being around you, being with you made me feel more alive. It made me feel so many things I cannot even name" Arnav said, reaching forward and placing his hand on Khushi's who was looking at him with so much love.

"You taught me so many things. It was only because of you that I learnt how to love. You taught me that despite countless hurdles in life, love wins over everything. So, thank you for walking into my life. Thank you for loving me and letting me love you. And today, I promise you, Khushi, that I'll keep loving you.  I'll love you till the end of time and beyond. So.." Khushi's eyes which were brimming with happy tears hearing his declaration of love, widened with surprise when Arnav got up from his chair and sat down on his knees.

"Arnav.." She breathed his name.

"Will you marry me, Khushi Kumari Gupta?" He asked her, looking at her face which was breaking with happiness.

He held the ring in front of her and Khushi sobbed.

Who would have thought that Arnav Singh Raizada was such a traditionally romantic man?

Khushi was so overcome with emotion that she couldn't speak for a second. So, she nodded her head.

"Yes" The word finally left her mouth, along with few tears rolling down her face.

"God! I hope they are tears of happiness" Arnav exclaimed, making Khushi laugh.

She held out her hand towards him and Arnav gently slid the ring on her finger, officially marking her as his.

"I love you" she said, throwing herself at Arnav, hugging him.

Arnav heard the people around them cheering but for him the biggest happiness was Khushi's body pressed against his.

He was going to make sure she was always happy.

~~~

Akash smiled when he received the text from Arnav. Finally his Bhai had successfully managed to propose Khushi after a grueling planning of two months.

Akash was glad that Arnav will soon marry the woman he loved.

But the thought also made him feel a little envious. Everyone around him was deeply in love and it was only him who was still alone.

No. He wasn't alone. He had his son. Akash tried to tell himself. Atharva was the only respite in Akash's life. Payal had been kind enough to allow Akash to spend the weekends with his son.

A few times, she had even let him keep Atharva for an entire night now that he was a little older. The night had been magical for Akash. He had loved staying up whole night watching him sleep.

Akash couldn't explain in words how much love he felt for Atharva. Atharva was a part of his heart.

But, Akash still had a very difficult decision to make. Now that his son was getting older, Akash had to decide how he wanted his son to know him. Payal had asked him once but Akash had said that he still needed to think.

Will they tell Atharva who was his actual father? Will Akash get to hear Atharva address him as 'Dad' or will that happiness fall into Aman's share?

Akash couldn't decide. He wanted his son to call him 'Dad'. But will that be good for his son?

Akash knew he had to think selflessly in this case.

So what if Atharva never gets to know Akash is his father? So what if Aman is the one who will have the honour of telling the world that he was Atharva's father? Will that really be so bad?

At least, Akash will know the truth. At least he will be around his son to love him and look after him. And maybe someday, when his son was ready to understand, Akash and Payal could tell him.

This was the best way, Akash decided.

He'll let Payal know when he sees her.

Thinking of seeing Payal tomorrow made Akash smile. It was strange; the friendship that the two shared now. Payal had learnt to trust him again. And Akash? He had successfully managed to suppress whatever he felt for her so much so that everyone believed him.

But, there were times when Akash would have to leave the room because Payal and Aman were being too close. It was hard in the beginning seeing Payal with Aman. But, eventually, Akash had found comfort in the fact that Payal looked blissfully happy.

Payal's small world which was full of love and laughter had only enough space for his friendship. There was no possibility of anything else and Akash had come to terms with it.

He loved being Payal's friend. And as Payal kept telling  him, there was someone better out there for him. Akash never disagreed with Payal when she said such things but he never agreed too. If what Payal said was really true, he will have to wait for it to happen before he can actually believe it.

For now, Akash was happy with whatever he had.

~~~

Arnav and Khushi sat in the car, either of them refusing to get out.

Arnav had his hand resting upon Khushi's and was looking into her eyes.

Ever since they had left the hotel, Khushi had been constantly smiling. It made Arnav's heart double in size.

"Will you tell your parents tonight?" He asked her.

"I am sure they wouldn't miss this huge rock sitting on my finger" Khushi flashed her ring before Arnav who laughed.

"You like it?" He asked her. Sticking to her taste, Arnav had gone for a simple design. It was a beautifully cut, large diamond with small designs carved in it.

"I am in love with it" She answered, grinning. Arnav smiled.

"What about me?" He asked her.

"I think I love the ring more" Khushi replied, winking at him.

"Well..we need to change that" Arnav said, and Khushi knew what was coming.

"Let's see if you can" She dared him, looking at his lips that she had been desperately waiting for.

"I need to buy a larger car" Arnav muttered as he pulled Khushi towards him, bringing his mouth upon hers.

"I am pretty sure even an airplane wouldn't be enough space for you" Khushi replied, kissing him back.

"Not if you're going to be with me in it" Arnav placed a hand around her waist and hauled her on his lap.

In response, Khushi bit his lips softly.

"It's supposed to be your turn to keep things on this side of the line" Arnav groaned when he felt Khushi's hands working swiftly on his buttons.

"I don't care. I just got engaged today" Khushi bit back, finally opening his shirt and running her hands on his chest. Her lips followed the suit.

"I think we should go for a quick wedding" Arnav swallowed thickly when Khushi fingers reached dangerously close to his pants.

"I am free on Sunday" Khushi replied, looking up at him intently.

"So am I" Arnav said, his eyes asking if she meant what he thought she meant.

"It's just four days" Khushi exclaimed.

"I know" Arnav replied.

"Oh my god! Let's do it!" Khushi screamed in excitement.

Arnav let go of her waist.

"Really?"

"Really" Khushi laughed.

"What are you doing?" Arnav asked when Khushi instantly started buttoning his shirt.

"It's just four days! FOUR Days! Let's go in and talk to Amma and Babuji" Khushi squealed again.

Arnav realized it was going to be a lot of squealing on Khushi's end until the wedding day. And obviously on the wedding night! He laughed at the thought.

"Out of the guttery zone, mister. Let's go in and meet my parents. We're getting married" Khushi said, getting off Arnav and moving to the passenger's seat.

"We're getting married" Arnav repeated, leaning towards Khushi and placing a quick kiss on her lips.

This was going to be another beautiful beginning for them.

Thank You Note: An extremely big bunch of thank you to every single reader of mine who ever liked or commented on the threads. A warm hug to the silent readers too. πŸ€—

It was because of each one of you that I could muster enough motivation to complete this story after a break of about two and a half years. So, thank you for all your love and appreciation. β€οΈ

Edited by Pearl_Oyster - 6 years ago
tina_1234 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
Awesome part
Yay me first
I have read it a few days back only
Such a beautiful ending Edited by tina_1234 - 6 years ago
Pearl_Oyster thumbnail

Originally posted by: richajalan