Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Suvika. thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: Anjani9

No. I am just concentrating on these two. Want to end with Part 4 and if another guy pops in then that won't be possible. 😕

What is the compulsion to end this in 4 parts?😲😡

Because this is OS. And I don't want any side tracks and have no intention of turning it into a FF. And Neither does Aarti. Most importantly, absolutely no energy to write more. 

Suvika, You never wrote that another guy angle...why don't you write one???

[/QUOTE]
Suvika. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anjani9

Update tomorrow (Friday) morning - 8 AM IST. Hope my US readers stay awake!! 😉

Why don't you give update in the night???? 😕
[/QUOTE]
Because I want to read the comments and don't want to wait until morning to do that. 😆
Suvika. thumbnail

Originally posted by: -deepali17-

8 am too late for me I am literally in bed at 8.55 gone at 9 pm

8.55 pm there...that means whats the time here?? 😕

Kids leave at 7.45 am so 8 am is the earliest I can post.  
Suvika. thumbnail
  Posting part three of this OS in two minutes. 
Suvika. thumbnail

Part Three

"Kaise ho Colonel? I had come by your office a few times but your secretary told me that you were busy." BB's tone was tentative, his face a mixture of hope and pain.

"Some would take that as a hint Dr Mathur." CV didn't even pretend cordiality. "But I guess it is too much to expect even that from you."

BB sighed. "I'm not here to rake up old wounds Colonel."

"Old? Define old Dr Mathur. The hurt you caused Nandini, your daughter, is old. I accept. But what you did to my daughter! That doesn't come under old! At least not to me. I can forgive you for hurting me and my wife because to a certain extent even we had been on the wrong. But my daughter..no. I would never forgive you for hurting her the way you did." He didn't give BB a chance to get a word in as he continued, "And for whom Dr Mathur? You hurt my daughter for whom? That Dr Mallika?"

"Arre, Yog, don't say that." DB came to the door with a mock scowl on her face, her tone dripping with sarcasm. "You need to respect Dr Mallika. After all, dactar saab always considered her as his bahu. So of course he would support her, wouldn't he? That's his responsibility. Right dactar saab?"

"Samdhanji.." BB's face mirrored his shock. "I never meant.."

But DB was in no state to listen. "Had I wanted to, I would have retorted you the moment those words came out of your mouth and brought my bachchi back home dactar saab. But I respected your age and the fact that you were our samdhi. But no that the relationship is gone.."

"Samdhanji, please don't say that," BB hastily pleaded. He couldn't believe his carelessly uttered horrible words would result in something like this.

"Tell me something Dr Mathur," CV folded his hands and stood rigid. "If you had considered Dr Mallika as your bahu, then what stopped you from making her as one in reality? I'm sure your son would've gladly obliged you. And even now it's not too late. All he needs to do is.."

"My son loves Nidhi Colonel. He has only ever loved Nidhi. Your daughter, my granddaughter."

"Was that why she had been kicked out of her own home in the middle of the night? Accused of such horrible crime?" CV's eyes were filled with loathing. "You remember how you once came to our house and pleaded with me to accept their love? You told me not to make the same mistake that you made. But let me tell you something Dr Mathur. Maybe we were wrong in defying you and getting married. But we were happy. Nandini was happy. Everyday I spent with her is treasured in my heart forever. I don't regret defying you and marrying her. I do regret listening to you and sending my daughter to your house."

"Colonel..no.."

"Mein Ashutosh ka baba hu par Nidhi ka nana bhi toh hu na, Aise kya dekhrahe ho colonel? Yaha Nidhi ka nana bhi rehta hain. Uspe aanch nahi aane dega. Those were your words to me, remember? But what did you do Dr Mathur? You didn't even give my daughter the benefit of doubt. Twice, she looked up to you for support in that house. Twice you ignored her and chose to believe that Mallika."

BB stumbled at those words and caught the pillar for support. CV hesitated to continue but DB had no such misgivings. "Forget being a good grandfather, you were not even a good father in law. My bachchi left that house at midnight and you didn't even give a thought to her."

"I tried to Samdhanji. But Ashu.." He swallowed the rest of his words not wanting to reveal his son's heartless words.

"He said and you kept quiet." CV's words fell between them. "You could've at least called me. I would've gone in search of my daughter. I would've brought her home. Bua is right. You are not and have never been Nidhi's nana. Dr Mathur, your son, unpardonable though his crime is, at least has an excuse that he never had a female influence in his life. A mother figure to teach him the true meaning of a life partner." DB scoffed and turned her face away at those words. "But you, Dr Mathur. You have no excuse for what you did." CV's voice broke. "She had come to your house as your bahu with so many hopes and dreams.."

"What house Yog?" DB's eyes were red with anger even as tears rolled down her cheek. "That had never been Nidhi's house. It was his son's house. His house," She stabbed a finger towards BB. "Mallika's house. Not Nidhi's house. Never my bachchi's house." She swiped a hand over her wet cheeks. "And I will never send her back to that house again."

CV continued in a normal tone, although no less firm. "Please leave Dr Mathur. I saw my daughter smiling today after a long time. Please leave before she comes back, sees you here and that little smile slips and disappears in her desolate eyes." CV stepped back and closed the door.

BB stood at the closed door. "I'm sorry Nidhi. I'm so sorry." Feet weighed down by guilt and regret, he dragged them towards the place that until that day he had called his home.

Engagement of Anji and Ranganath was held at the nearby function hall with all their close friends and family attending and blessing the relieved and joyous couple. Both sets of parents had finally put aside their differences and looked blissfully happy. Anji was bright and shining like a bride in her majenta pink lehenga with it royal blue choli and matching dupatta. Ranganath, in his maroon and gold sherwani couldn't let go of her hand even long enough to have refreshments. His gaze remained adoring and thoroughly smitten. Ashutosh and BB had been invited by Ranganath and Anji still hadn't completely forgiven him for that because Nidhi had spent most the evening edgy. The smile that Anji had managed to drag out of her the previous day was nowhere in sight.

"You do realize that they need to resolve their issue, don't you?" Ranganath couldn't help but add.

"Yes but not on the day of my engagement Ranganath. This is a small function. Why do you have to go and invite him?"

It had been more a case of his boss outright asking if he was also invited. He could hardly say no, now, could he? But he didn't share that with Anji. "You are right. This is our engagement and you should spend it ogling me and drooling over my handsome face."

"Ranganath.." But there was no real anger behind Anji's scowl. She saw her friend arranging the gifts and flowers in a neat pile, that fake smile still firmly in place. No doubt the engagement function had brought back many memories. As if realizing her thoughts, Ranganath released her hand and gently nudged her towards Nidhi. Giving him a look filled with gratitude and love, she went and sat beside Nidhi.

"Thank God everything went well."

Nidhi's smile got just a tiny bit more natural as she directed a fond look at Anji. "Yeah. Now everyone looks happy. And you know what? You did the right thing by waiting until you finished your exams. Now you have a degree and once you settle down with Ranganath, you can start looking for a job. Have a career. Stand on your feet." Her gaze turned distant. "It's important you know. I never realized how important until I had to ask baba if he could pay for my PG. After my marriage."

Anji caught her hand and entwined her fingers. "Nidhi.."

Nidhi shook her head. "No. Seriously. I often keep wondering if only I had completed my internship. If only I joined in some PG course..maybe my word would have had more value then. Maybe he would've listened to me." Her shoulders lifted in a small shrug. "I guess I'll never know. Although a part of me tells me he wouldn't have believed me even if I had done a double PG in psychiatry. Still..I can't help but wonder.." She blinked. "Leave all that. Sorry I got started on it in the first place. So, when is the wedding going to be? Date has been decided?"

"Feb 28th." Anji paused as if gathering her thoughts and said, "Nidhi, you do realize don't you? That you have to talk to him some time? That you have to think and decide on what you want."

"I can make a ladder to the clouds on the list of the things that I want right now Anji." Her gaze fell on Ashutosh, then hastily shifted away. He wasn't even pretending to look elsewhere. All evening she had felt his gaze on her. Devouring her. "Should I have stayed on and fought? Had it been a mistake to walk out Anji? Did I go about it the wrong way?"

"Nidhi, if she had burnt a vegetable and accused you of doing it, then I would've said you're stupid to walk out. But this is something else entirely. He doubted you. Your integrity as a person. You did the right thing. I would've done the same thing had I been in your place." Anji paused for a few moments before continuing, "As I see it, right now you have to decide whether your relationship deserves a second chance. Whether it is worth saving. Look, it is obvious that he is regretting and whipping himself over whatever has happened. Initially I had plotted ways and means to kill him for hurting you but in the last fifteen months, especially the last six months, I finally pitied him re. His calls, messages, his desperation was tough to ignore. He wouldn't have done any of that if all he felt was guilt. He could've just apologized and moved on."

"So I should forgive him? Is that what you're saying?"

"That you have to decide on your own my friend. You have to choose one path and stay on it. Either give him a chance because your relationship is worth another chance or say to hell with it and break all ties. Emotionally and legally. I can only say that this status quo can't continue. It is not fair for either of you." On that note, she got up. "I'm off now. They are coming this way. Good luck." Nidhi's startled eyes fell on Ashutosh and BB walking towards her.

"Can I get you something else? Have some one more ladoo." CV offered to Ranganath's parents.

Ranganath's father gave a huge smile and held up his hand. "Arre no no no. Please. I'll eat the rest at the wedding." And laughed at his own joke.

DB laughingly retorted. "Arre, you think we would feed the same ladoos for the wedding too?"

"That's your damaadji, right? Dr Ashutosh? Our son's boss?" Ranga's father asked CV, gesturing to Ashutosh who was making his way to them along with BB.

"Namaste. Kaise hain aap? Aapko yaad hain? Hum pehle mile the." Ashutosh then introduced BB to Ranga's parents.

"Arre, aapko hum kaise bhoolsakte hain. Aap toh humaare bahu ke jeejaji hain. Uske sabse achchi dost Nidhi ke pati." Ranga's mom replied with a huge smile.

"Dactar saab humara beta toh kehraha tha ki aapki patni Mumbai mein padrahi hain aajkal?"

Pride turned his face bright as Ashutosh smiled. "Ji. She is doing her MD there."

"Shaadi ke baad patni ko akele itni door bhejdiya aapne?" A frown marred his forehead. "Maaf keejiye lekin humare yaha toh aisa bilkul bhi nahi hota. Patni ka haath ek baar pakadliya toh saath hum kabhi nahi chodte."

DB pasted a smile on her face. "Arre bhaisaab, ab woh zamana nahi raha. Aur rahi meri bachchi ki baat toh aaj woh jo kuch bhi hain sab innki wajah se hain. Leejiye sharbat leejiye."

The implication behind her words wasn't lost on Ashutosh and BB. Until that day most of the people had been under the impression that Nidhi's move to Mumbai had been because of her PG and he and Nidhi's family had neither confirmed nor denied the speculation. But now his presence at the engagement and Nidhi's avoidance wasn't lost on any of the onlookers. And their thoughts hadn't been silent either.

"Looks like their marriage has fallen apart already."

"Well, what do you expect? Eighteen years gap. You really expected it to sustain? Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did."

"But I heard he had brought his lady friend to his house after marriage and that had been the main bone of contention between the couple."

"Oh really? No wonder Nidhi left. I wouldn't have stayed either. I mean friendship is OK but bringing her home days after he married Nidhi! Had Nidhi done the same thing, I'm sure he would've burnt his car tyres reaching the court for a divorce. Men!"

"Arre, why are you lumping us all under the same category? Not all of us take our wives for granted. And as for double standards, that's in the genetic programming of 99% of the Indian men."  

Since there were no words with which he could defend himself, he maintained a stoic silence. But Nidhi's DB had never been the one to beat around the bush. Never hesitated to call a spade a spade. Suppressing a sigh, Ashutosh took leave from them and both of them made their way towards Nidhi who had been talking to Anji until then but Anji made her way back to Ranganath, leaving Nidhi alone in the corner of the wedding hall. He had come to see Nidhi. And see her, he did. Looking stunningly beautiful in her dark green and silver ghagra. But still too thin. An artificial smile glued to her lips. Her lashes had fluttered a little when she saw him and baba but she made no move to come any closer even to greet baba. But BB had smiled and raised his hand in a gesture of blessing from afar. Now they were finally getting a chance to talk to her. Provided she didn't slip away. She didn't. She stood her ground. Even tried to smile at BB as she bent to take his blessings.

BB placed an affectionate hand on her head. "Khush raho beta. Kaisi ho?"

"Ji, teek hoon." Ashutosh noticed the way she omitted saying baba.

If BB realized it, he didn't let on. "Ashu told me that you are doing your MD in psychiatry. Congratulations Nidhi."

"Thank you." Could the conversation get any more stilted than that?

BB took out a huge sheaf of papers and extended it towards Nidhi. "I just wanted to give these to you beta."

Frowning, Nidhi took them and opened. Confusion turned to disbelief as she read the contents. "But..but these are.."

"Baba has transferred the house back into your name Nidhi. It's your house now. To do whatever you want with it." Ashutosh looked content as he imparted the news.

"But that's your house. Your dream. Why would you.."

BB placed an affectionate hand on his son's shoulder even as he directed his words to Nidhi. "When I came to know that your mom passed away, I felt lost. Adrift. Filled with so many what-if and if-only scenarios. Floating in a sea of desolation, I wrote the house in your name and went away, never counting the cost or the pain I was causing my son with that one act. I took away his home, his memories, his father.. turning him bitter and lonely. I was the one who made him that way. I have been a failure all around. As a father, as a grandfather, as a father in law.."

Nidhi's eye lashes fluttered again. "I didn't..I never thought.."

Ashutosh stuffed his hands in his trouser pockets. "I should've realized much sooner that home is where love is. Where you are. And if you're not there, I don't have a home. Sure, I would have a place to eat and sleep but.." He shrugged and shook his head. "Not a home. I don't want that house anymore Nidhi. It should be yours. I paid the amount back to..to Mallika. I can't undo the mental trauma you had undergone during that time but I can assure you that no one would ever be able to take that house away from you now. Not even me." He took a deep, bracing breath before continuing, "And if..if you give me another chance," he pointed a slightly trembling finger at the papers that still held in her hand as his voice tightened with hope and fear. "We could live there. Where you would have the complete right to kick me out anytime you want. If you don't want that, that's OK too. You could sell it and buy whatever you want. Wherever you want. Completely up to you." He looked at BB. "Chale baba?" BB nodded. Ashutosh turned to go but stopped. "You were right Nidhi. Mujhe rishte nibhana nahi aata. Par mein seekhunga. Yeh mera wada hain. Tumse aur apne aap se. And I will show you that I know what it takes to make a relationship work. Apna khayal rakhna. And keep smiling Nidhi. I-I can't see you like this."

With his parting words resonating in her ears, she could do nothing but stare at his departing back.

"Take care baba. And please take care of DB too. Her BP has shot up again in the last few days." Nidhi stood at the departure gate of the Lucknow airport, ready to check in and board the flight that would take her back to Mumbai. She had wanted to come in a taxi to the airport but her baba had vetoed the idea and drove her himself.

CV nodded. "You don't worry Nidhi. She will settle down. Her age is also catching up with her na so complications are to be expected."

"I know and it's not as if the last few years have been stress-free for her, right?"

CV pulled his daughter into a one armed hug and patted her shoulder. "Don't be so hard on yourself. People come into our life beta, some as blessings and some as lessons. We can't always say who falls into which category."

"What do I do baba?"

"Follow your heart. That's what you've always done. And always, always know that no matter what you decide, I will be there with you. I wasn't there before but I will be there from now on. I promise."

Nidhi hugged her father tight. "Thank you baba. You're the best."

"I know," he smiled. "Now go. And message me once you reach, OK?"

Nidhi nodded, releasing the brakes of her cart and pushing it towards the check-in. At the security point she turned to give one final wave to her baba and stopped with her hand raised. Ashutosh was also there. Not beside her baba but a little further behind. Near the terminal entrance. And he was looking straight at her. Then amazingly, his lips stretched into a small smile and he waved. Not knowing what to do, how to respond, she let her arm drop back to her side and after a long, silent look, she turned and walked into the departure lounge.

And she had a message waiting for her as soon as she landed in Mumbai and turned on her phone.

Reached?

Nidhi frowned. How did he get my number? Then just as quickly comprehension dawned. She had called him that day to let him know that she would be coming to Lucknow to attend Anji's engagement. After a slight hesitation, she tapped her reply.

Yes.

Good. Take care.

This time her hesitation lasted longer but in the end she gave in and typed again. You too.

Anji said your sem exams are going to start from the next week. Good luck Nidhi.

Thank you.  She tapped the send button and hugged the phone to herself. Was she happy that he hadn't given up? She didn't know.

"Phew thank God that was the last paper yaar! I thought by the end of this semester, I would be in the psychiatric ward. Not as a doctor but a patient."

Nidhi grinned as she made her way out of the classroom with her classmates, stuffing her things in her bag. "Mind if I ask which paper drove Rash Mash, crazy?" Her grin widened at her friend's eye roll. "Well, crazier than the rest then."

"Psychosis. Yours?" Rash, aka Rashmi pretended to get a closer look at Nidhi's face. "Come to think of it, you look like you are out of the exams with your sanity intact."

"Schizophrenia came pretty close."

Both the friends giggled. "Hey have you heard from the grapevine?"

Nidhi frowned. "What happened now?" Both friends turned a corner and Nidhi almost collided with the person who had been coming from the other side. "Ow! Oh! I'm so.."

The rest of her words died in her throat as she saw who it was. Her eyes widened in shock as she blurted, "Ashutosh!" Her face turned a mortifying red the next second as she stumbled to correct herself. "Dr-Dr Ashutosh."

"Dr Nidhi. Hello." The eyes behind the barely there eyeglasses lit up and smiled.

Dr Saleem, the HOD of Neurology joined them at that moment. "This way, Dr Ashutosh. Sorry for the delay." Ashutosh nodded at Nidhi and her colleague before going towards the AV room along with Dr Saleem.

"How do you know him? More to the point how does he know you?" Rash fired the questions.

Nidhi forced her short circuited brain to work. "That brain stroke case. Dr Sharma consulted Dr Ashutosh. I-I was there."

"Oh, OK. I guess the grapevine was right this time," Rash grinned.

"What?" Nidhi couldn't process that sentence. What was he doing here? His guest lectures were done, weren't they?

"I'm talking about Dr Ashutosh Mathur. News is that the famous surgeon has joined as a part time faculty member at our college for the next eighteen months. The staff of Neurology is busy gloating and strutting and the students are groaning and sweating. Apparently he is an excellent teacher but quite strict and short tempered to say the least."

Nidhi's phone pinged with an incoming message. This isn't the way I wanted you know about it.

She moved away from Rash to tap her reply. What are you doing here?

Doing what it takes. 

And that is the end of Part Three of this OS. Hope you all LIKED it. Will be awaiting your comments. Hope you have a great day!! 

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Read the update... heavy biriyani tha woh..had to take breaks to understand... 
I have always hated Anji in KTLK...esp her advocacy of Rohan post Kerala track..preaching stuff she wouldn't implement in her life... but this Anji seems sensible
Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
So Ashu is also in Mumbai...grapevine ko aur kaam do...
Suvika. thumbnail

congrats 👏 😆
Suvika. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vidishaa

Read the update... heavy biriyani tha woh..had to take breaks to understand... 

I have always hated Anji in KTLK...esp her advocacy of Rohan post Kerala track..preaching stuff she wouldn't implement in her life... but this Anji seems sensible

Heavy biryani... not sure if that was a compliment or a comment. 😕😆

And there is hardly any character in KTLK that wasn't butchered at one time or the other. Anji had been no exception. 😡
Suvika. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Vidishaa

So Ashu is also in Mumbai...grapevine ko aur kaam do...

sabr 😈