Poor safety record can hurt job search

belljohnson366 thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Question: I was recently fired for a safety violation because I failed to turn off a circuit breaker when making some repairs. I knew better than to make such a stupid mistake, but I just wasn't paying attention. I received a similar warning several years ago, plus a few small talks about safety procedures in between those events. How can I explain these circumstances when I'm interviewing for another job?

Answer: The difficulty of describing your termination depends largely on the type of work you are seeking. If the position has no safety responsibilities or hazardous working might, therefore, be satisfied with a brief explanation.

For example: "Unfortunately, I neglected to follow a required safety protocol. Although no one was harmed, this was a mistake that I should not have made. I have definitely learned my lesson about the importance of carefully following procedures."

But for jobs that are similar to your previous position, the barriers to employment will be much greater. These employers will be concerned about a repeat performance, so your poor safety record may automatically eliminate you from consideration.

All things considered, this might be a good time to reassess your chosen career path. For a variety of reasons, people often wander into positions that are a poor match for their temperament or work style. If you are simply not a detail person, jobs requiring meticulous attention to procedure will never be very satisfying.