Shahid Kapoor has carved a niche for himself in the Hindi film industry. With his stellar performances in films like Haider, Padmaavat, Jab We Met, Kabir Singh, Chup Chup Ke, etc, the actor has garnered a huge fan base and also admirers among the critics.
While we know, SK is known for speaking his mind and the actor never backs off from following his heart, we now hear that there have been times when the actor fearlessly turned down six big films and filmmakers in the blink of an eye lid!
As per reports in SpotBoye, Shahid rejected The Reluctant Fundamentalist, Raajneeti, Shuddh Desi Romance, Raanjhanaa, Gori Tere Pyaar Mein and Hamlet.
Here's the back story of these six big films that Shahid walked off from:
1. The Reluctant Fundamentalist: Mira Nair was extremely keen to cast Shahid in the role of the post 9/11 introspective Pakistani in New York. But Shahid did his number. He wanted changes in the script. He was apprehensive about playing a Pakistani national. He was....forget it! Mira signed Riz Ahmed instead. Shahid chose to do his dad’s Mausam instead. Mira’s moving movie made Riz an international name.
2. Raajneeti: Have you ever wondered why Katrina and Shahid have never come together? They have been offered roles together. But Shahid being Shahid has innumerable ifs and buts. Prakash Jha offered Shahid Raajneeti. But guess what? Shahid wanted a hard-bound script on the table. Prakash never works with bound scripts. He signed Ranbir instead.
3. Shuddh Desi Romance: The film that made Sushant Singh Rajput a star was actually conceived with Shahid in mind. Director Maneesh Sharma and Shahid are buddies. But Maneesh had a back problem. Shahid had a date problem. Sushant had no problems.
4. Raanjhanaa: At one point during the process of scripting his epic love story, Aanand Rai was very keen to cast Shahid as the love-lorn obsessive Varanasi ka lover-boy. But then Shahid, in all his wisdom, decided against being paired with Sonam Kapoor again after Mausam. Didn’t we tell you? Sonam was Aanand’s first and last choice for the female lead.
5. Gori Tere Pyaar Mein: Karan Johar and Shahid Kapoor continue to elude each other by a wide margin. Dharma Production has offered Shahid quite a few films. The actor was finalized for Gori Tere Pyaar Mein. But then Kareena Kapoor came in as the film’s female lead. Shahid hurriedly begged off.
6. Hamlet: Efforts are still on to get him on board. But Shahid has a number of dos and don’ts lined up before he says yes to Tigmasnhu Dhulia’s offer. My advice: just do it before it’s too late.