Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

smallwonder thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 2 years ago

I dont know if it should continue or not, but I feel that player participation should be voluntary. I doubt if that is so? With such huge stakes and millions that they buy players for, I dont think the players have a choice to sit at home if they are not feeling safe in the give scenario. They have families and loved ones, so I think - if it is by choice that they are playing, then all good - IPL should continue. But if it is being forced upon one and all, I think it should rather be called off. It is the same situation as in a job or say if you teach somewhere. Till the time the Govt. imposed a lockdown, the individual offices or schools could not call in their employees. When the lockdown was removed, all these decisions were left to an individual. And how can one sit home if their employer is asking them to report? Or you loose your job? So risk your life and go out. 

priya185 thumbnail

Chennai Super Kings

pros entertainment

cons health concerns, India rising cases 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Mumbai Indians

@ smallwonder, The organisers assured the players that anyone who wants to return can return at any time. But BCCI has assured them of their safety and well-being. 

“All of us are seeing, discussing with each other. We completely understand that the situation is grim. BCCI like any other organization is completely with the people of the country in these difficult times. But we have a job to do and also have a responsibility towards our cricketers and the sport. We are trying to do that job to the best of our abilities. Please understand that IPL also brings in a lot of joy for the entire country. We will continue the league as of now”, declared one of the top BCCI official via SMS to Inside Sport. 

Apart from Cummins and Lee, Indian cricketers like Harbhajan Singh and Aakash Chopra have also supported the country in this noble cause with their needful donations to help in this tough fight against Covid-19.

anisharoy1 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

It's not the question that IPL is responsible for spreading the virus or not, it's about our morality as a society, community. Feroz Shah Kotla is 500 meters away from LNJ hospital (where one person is dying in every 4 minutes). All these players tweeted #indiaagainstpropoganda. Well this is what actually propaganda is, we failed as a society, and our superstars failed humanity. 80% of cricket earning comes from india, and BCCI makes full use of this power, well today those 80% are the ones who are dying. When sunil chetri says that " guys I am on your team" and gives his social media for amplifying, that's what we need. Everybody failed india Today, all our institution. And a sport that we loved even that failed us today. Not speaking is as sinful as speaking something wrong, supporting  wrong government to save their image. I don't care if IPL continues or not, but I do know the difference between real and fake superstars.

Viswasruti thumbnail

Mumbai Indians

The situation in India is very alarming and now the burst of bio bubble, the news of 2 players' COVID-19 positive report, the players are now jittery to continue playing. 

This season, 29 IPL matches have been played so far. All the matches have been organized in a bio-secure environment, with many restrictions imposed for players' safety.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) recently enacted more stringent rules regarding bio-bubble protocols. Instead of the Covid-19 test every five days, all players were asked to get tested after every two days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8N8U8ykqZw 

no plans made for CA charter flight for IPL players: Hockley ...

Nichuss thumbnail

Chennai Super Kings

still IPL continuation in plan.....

really worried for the players now... in end thy r also human..

stress of health.. family.. game....

it wud b better now tey call off the game......

dont blv for our selfish need... we need to put them in stress n pain

Savera84 thumbnail

Lucknow Super Giants

Good choice considering the way COVID is spreading.

Round of applause to them.👏

Cheers.....

KJasoosChulbulP thumbnail

Mumbai Indians

Nothing is safe. Not even the bio bubble and IPL is indefinitely postponed. Gonna miss the matches but safety first is the right decision as more teams are impacted… 

Sutapasima thumbnail

Punjab Kings

I am so happy the IPL got suspended .

So many cricketers test positive .

They have nit reveal how many staff and crew members must be positive too . this second wave is truly deadly . I hope they all recover soon 🙏

BeingBlunt thumbnail

Lucknow Super Giants

Many people were asking WHY IPL in Pandemic? Ask Chetan Sakariya. His brother commited suicide just few months ago. He was the only source of income. Chetan got selected in auction played few games. His father had caught covid and treatment was underway. RR released his payment early and sent money to take care of his ill father. Unfortunately he couldn't survive.:Imagine if No IPL, how he would have managed it? He tried his best because of IPL and since he was an IPL player i am sure RR would have taken good care and given every support possible. There are so many players with so many stories like this.. Watch the interview of Harpreet brar when he got man of the match. You will understand what IPL means for these small cricketers. 

I know its been suspended due to a breach and it was the right decision but NO IPL would be disastrous for everybody involved. BCCI still stands to lose 2000 crore of revenue due to cancellation. Where do you think the money goes that BCCI earns? Into domestic and grassroot structure and into things that generate 0 revenue, like the domestic cricket and women's cricket. 

IPL in times of corona argument is very very similar to why build roads where there are numerous road accidents daily? Where is the morality, empathy, humanity etc? 

Another example i would like to quote is about Anand Kumar ( the Super 30 fame ). Everybody knows about the free classes, how many of you know he also runs the paid classes to afford the free classes? 

I know there are morality questions, but most times morality looks good only in books, you have to be practical always and make the most of whatever there is. Just because IPL is entertainment for most us doesn't mean it shouldnt exist. Its a job for so many involved. And since this is a predominantly bollywood and TV forum, why has no one raised objection on movies and TV shows shooting that keep on going? Where is the morality argument there? Or are they exempt form this? 

With this i have nothing more to say. Thank you all for discussion, lets meet in September/November again whenever BCCI decides to continue:)