Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Savera84 thumbnail

Gujarat Titans

Posted: 3 years ago

We can argue both ways.

On one hand we can say this will provide entertainment and keep people at home.  That doesn't apply to everyone.  Majority of the people can't get food in their mouths if they stay at home and watch IPL.

On the other hand, when people are dying in thousands everyday and people are suffering in hundreds of thousands every day, is it necessary to continue IPL?  

At the rate COVID is spreading, the risk is also increasing for players and everyone else involved.  Yes, they are in a bubble, but, they still have to move from one place to the other.

Personally I think it is better to suspend the tournament and get back to it when things settle down.  I know players will lose momentum, but, it is better to be safe than sorry.  

Cheers.....

Viswasruti thumbnail

Royal Challengers Bengaluru

A few good Samaritans from cricket world's donation drive--- 

Mumbai Ranji players Vinayak Bhoir and Royston Dias were among more than 90 cricketers who donated blood on Monday, responding to a drive launched by JJ Hospital. 

The players have set an example for the whole state and country to come up and serve the nation.

Cummins while donating $50,000 , wishes that this money be used "specifically to purchase oxygen supplies for India's hospitals." 

"I encourage my fellow IPL players - and anyone around else in the world who has been touched by India's passion and generosity - to contribute. I will kick it off with $50,000," he wrote. 

Let us recollect the good gesture extended by Rohit Sharma, Gautam Gambhir earlier and  the kind of massive contribution Kohli and his wife, Anushka Sharma had made back in March 2020 for the very same cause.

Yes... need is there,the Sports persons are  showing their positive side of helping nature sporadically. 

Edited by Viswasruti - 3 years ago
Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Gujarat Titans

IPL should continue and they should donate more than 50% of their earnings to Covid patients and healthcare workers. That's a win win. 

BeingBlunt thumbnail

Lucknow Super Giants

Please tell me one good reason why should it stop? For showing solidarity by sitting at home? But you cant survive by only showing solidarity.

Why do people think that only teams and broadcasters are needed ? What about the extremely massive no of backroom staffs who are making this possible and who have no other source of income? Suppose IPL stops, they wont have any work and therefore they will then go out to work and earn to survive, more risk of covid than being in the IPL BIO secure bubble. 

Then you come to the online world of cricket new aggregator websites. Who will pay their bills if IPL is stopped and they get no traffic. What about small eateries who deliver food and stuff to people watching matches?  

Even in case of some players like Sakariya who is the only earning person in his family after brother died just before IPL. How will he take care of his family if no IPL? 

Next argument is players contributing. How do you know they are NOT contributing? BCCI last year contributed 51 coreres. All top cricketers have their charity/foundations running. Kohli donated 3 crores this year. Just because we don't know about charities doesn't mean they dont do it. 

I haven't even touched on entertainment angle and distraction from vulture reporting from crematories etc.

This is my friend https://twitter.com/finehaihum/status/1387110793993342978?s=20

So many people want a escape from negative news. Everybody says stay positive BUT HOW NO ONE TELLS? 

I am a teacher myself, .My life was set, School in the morning and some tv in the evening. Last year i had online classes so i was busy, this year no student showed interest so classes are closed. Now i wake and wander aimlessly for few hours not knowing what to do. Only IPL every night and FL and this IF game is a motivation to look forward and get distracted.  

vijay thumbnail

Some are commenting that players should donate. But I disagree, as donation should not be an obligation but should be by their own volition.

And not everyone who is donating making too much noise or PR around it.

Viswasruti thumbnail

In the midst of all the challenges we’ve faced and continue to face,  return to sport may provide that “something different” that offers hope, relief, or simply an outlet as we collectively continue trying to find our way forward.

Like most things in life, and particularly during the pandemic,  all choices are on a risk/reward continuum. As a society, we have to ask ourselves if the risks are worth the benefits, here the answer is yes & no! By putting the players' life at risk ...spending such huge amounts on sports at the time of tragedy , but only those few hours we can divert our attention, we spend time far from shock and sorrow. 

hbkrocks thumbnail

I don't agree with this When so many are losing their lives I find this very insensitive. And If situation were like this prior to start of the IPl they would have surely postponed it, Not for once they would have thought about entertaining us but now since the IPL is already on they are just using this as an excuse.

BhetuPunha thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Another aspect I forgot to mention is the aspect of normalcy😎. With all the Covid-19 pandemic around us it is important that we return to some sort of normalcy, with strictest restrictions possible👍🏼. IMO, IPL is a tentative first step towards it .

Nichuss thumbnail

Chennai Super Kings

being selfish... i agree on continuin IPL.. as its entertainment which keeps us tied in home.

hope the BCCI team take all precautions and safety f players.

SoniRita thumbnail

Gujarat Titans

Well said points by Vijay sir, Madhu, Raji and Suyash. They covered it all👏 and I agree with der povs👍🏼

Like Suyash said we dont know who donated n who didnt as they keep it private n not share to world, like few days ago Brett Lee donated money but only few mentioned this in news. 

So in the end I just wanna say that BCCI took a right decision for not cancelling/postponing IPL. So many ppl associated with IPL has a job due to this, so many ppl at home r glued to IPL matches and this IPL matches have brought some happiness in our life.

Thanks Madhu for this topic👍🏼