Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Conclusion:

While it is easy to get caught up in the symptoms of our many crises (the brutal violence, the enormous inequities, the extinction of cultures and languages, the degradation of the environment), it is equally important, if not more, to understand their roots. We must creatively analyze the content and the consequences of our current economic, political, social, and educational systems, without reverting to a romanticized past of pristine traditions. From these critical reflections, we must generate new spaces, systems, and processes - based on moral and holistic visions of human potential and human progress - which can lead us out of the global self-destruction which engulfs us. Throughout it all, we must consider and negotiate our own roles, while asking ourselves how we are either working for solutions or contributing to making the crisis worse.

The use of force ethically can be justified by various rationalizations including self-defense, just war theory, deterrence, first strike, holy war/crusade and in ideological terms. Even with these justifications, violence used either in terrorism or military intervention can often have unforeseen consequences and in some cases it may go counter to the ideals espoused.

When brute force is used, even for a supposedly noble vision, it fails to create a society that it wants. The seeds of violence can often germinate into an increase in violence: Terrorism breeds reprisals, occupation by a foreign army creates resistance. So when seeds of violence are planted, the future will grow trees of insurgency, terrorism and counter-violence.

Violence also leads to escalation of violence with an "eye for an eye" mentality. Gandhi cautions against this downward spiral: "To answer brutality with brutality is to admit one's moral and intellectual bankruptcy, and it can only start a vicious circle." Rather than regarding the means and ends as separate, Gandhi challenges us to view them as connected, not divided from each other.

I repeat, if the world has to be retrieved from the present state of affairs, if war has to be evaded, if man wants peace and enjoy the basic aspects of life, if we want a good tommorrow for our children, if we hope to leave the best for our future generations, then please DONT talkt about wars.Dont even have the premonitions of WW3.Talk about peace.Talk about how to solve the situations without weapons.Talk about truth and non- violence.Ok,dont follow them because they were Gandhian principles.Make them YOUR principles.Let the future generations know them as your principles.But follow them you must, that is if you are hoping for a better future for you and your future generations.If you claim that you are NOT selfish enough to indulge in petty ego issues.Which is unfortunately, what is happening in the present world.

Instead of becoming irrelevant, Gandhi's ideas offer an analysis of the use of violence. Once the inherent problems with violence are applied to situations that use brute force, we can then look at whether those problems can be resolved through non-violence, which offers the way out from a cycle of escalating violence and the tragic loss of lives.

'It is my belief that the problem of bringing peace to the world on a supernational basis will be solved only by employing Gandhi's method on a large scale.''

-Albert Einstein

''Gandhi is inevitable. If humanity is to progress, Gandhi is inescapable. He lived, thought and acted inspired by the vision of humanity evolving toward a world of peace and harmony. We may ignore Gandhi at our own risk."

-Martin Luther King Jr

My final comment:

In a world increasingly enamoured with technology and good-living on one hand and giving in to violence on the other, perhaps it is time to rediscover the Mahatma.

I would like to end with these famous words by the great Sri.Rabindranath Tagore:

"Where the mind is without fear and the head held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led forward by Thee into ever-widening thought and action;
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake."

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti!!!

May Peace Be To All!!!

cheers,
Raksha😃  

Edited by raksha.l - 17 years ago
kabhi_21 thumbnail

Originally posted by: raksha.l

As much as your points provide for a good read, I am afriad, you completely got deviated from the topic in hand.We are NOT talking about the strategies a state should incorporate, in times of WAR.We are also NOT talking about whether a good mixture of violence and non-violence will make for a good principle to follow.I will tell you what we are talking about.We are talking about the relevance of Gandhian philosophy.And mind you we are NOT even talking about Gandhiji's fan following.

I will leave to judges to decide whether it is relevant to the topic or not.

We come to a state of WAR when we have run out of all the other options.But that's not the point here.The relevancy will come into picture, when you have adopted the principles right from the beginning.That's the whole point here.We are talking about how to avoid such sad state of affairs.We are talking about how to retrieve the situation from where it is right now.And mind you, the countries which are at war, are praying for the other country to take the first step towards peace.But they were already so neck deep into it that its becoming almost impossible for them to make any amendments.

The example that I gave for Thailand. Right from the beginning gandhian principles of non-violent protests was used without any effectiveness on the person or his position. And the last resort to save the country was to bring in military.

However, the countries which have been prudent enough to recognize their priorities, have been benefitted...Take the west Germany and East Germany.They were at logger heads for decades.But the moment they decided to give a try at peace, they are once again a united country.I can come up with umpteen number of examples in this context.

Give us the umpteen number of examples. I am exactly saying the same. You have to know the priorities. If it is justice, first try to get it with non-violence, If u r sure u need to be violent and have no choice. Then you have to decide the priority justice or violence.

WAR will not get us anywhere.Its the END of the story.However if each individual and understands and realizes the importance of life and adopts Gandhian philosophy of Truth and non-violence then we have a chance.Yes, the humanity still has a chance.More people are talking about peace than ever.The very fact that we are talking about Gandhian philosophy is a proof enough to say that we are indeed being moved by it.

Most of the people talk about Himesh Reshamiya Singing. There is a huge lot who likes him and another huge lot who dislike him. So all are moved by him but some are negatively moved too. We are talking about his principles does not mean we are positively moved by Gandhiji's principles.

I agree war is the end of the story, It brings the destruction to the world and takes you nowhere. But it's a start of a new chapter as well. Truth and non-violence are powerful tools but are not always effective tools. In today's world it is not relevant at all. There is a saying "Evil has to leave to keep environmental balance" and if there is evil, countering it only by non-violence is possible to a certain extent only.

Edited by kabhi_21 - 17 years ago
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Conclusion:

As per various discussions and debates in the thread in last 52 hours, I would like to conclude on my behalf that Gandhian Principles were not originated by him but only followed by him and shown to others through his work. The most important principles being Truth and non-violence. The other principles is justice. Truth and justice are the principles of the holy writings of each religion and hence It is obvious to have a mass following for this principles. The only principle, which is not in this writing is non-violence. But this principle can not be related to mass human beings. It is said that there was a mass following to Gandhiji with this principle as well, which is not the truth. The followers turned violent during non-cooperation movement. There was a fear that they may turn violent if British harm Gandhiji. They turned violent when Nathuram killed Gandhiji. So the principle of non-violence was not relevant even at that times, and how can it be relevant in this times.
The principle of truth can not be countered by anyone. It is still relevant in this world and will be relevant forever. But it is not used as it is. The truth has become what is shown to you or what can be proved under the law. Then if the law is not for satya, for the world that is the truth. This is what was done in Thailand. The prime minister changed the laws and constitution to help his own businesses. This made his sale of billions of money tax free legally.
The principle of Justice. Justice has to be done is the ultimate truth. But that has to be justice under humanity or justice under law. In the current sealing process, justice of humanity is to allow the traders to trade as there will be lot of unemployment by sealing. While the justice under law says seal all unauthorized constructions. So Law overpowers humanity in todays world. Hence Justice and humanity are also not relevant in today's world.

Closing comment:
According to my point of view, Gandhian principles as a set is not relevant today, but individually they can be mixed with other principles and be applied to todays world to get the results. I believe that non-violence is a powerful tool but it does not always gets the results. Sometimes you have to use the other means to achive justice.

Thank you very much
Jai Hind

Edited by kabhi_21 - 17 years ago