Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago

Originally posted by: Sadhana_pr

A bang on post.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

I am honestly quite surprised at being presented with a palette of raw, real and intricate characters and relationships. They are neither white nor black nor even grey- they are just as human beings are- COMPLEX.

But while it makes me happy that Indian Tv has come this far to explore such dynamics, I have a nagging fear that the writers may not be equipped to handle the nuances of such characters.
In the very first week, I moved from being empathetic towards Neha to being quite irritated by her antics. For in the initial episodes, she was grieving child who had some fair reasons for her behaviour. By the end of the week, she turned into a self-entitled, victim playing brat for me. I could understand her feeling neglected by the mother, bitter about lack of attention and opportunities. But I cannot fathom how she assumes that Dev had a more 'advantageous' position. The brother who is the object of her envy at the moment is someone who at the age of 9 was forced by circumstance to become the 'man of the house'. He had to bear the burden of his own crushed dreams and the responsibility of ensuring a secure future for his mother and sisters at a time when basic survival must have been a challenge. To constantly live with the pressure of achieving things NOT for your family's name and glory but for their very existence is not a cakewalk.
And if I hypothetically place Neha in Dev's 'coveted' place I can still see her whining about how parasitic the family was...how she was given all the love... sent to the best school just so her siblings and mother can have a better future...etc. Something which Dev NEVER does. He instead understands Neha's grievances because he can relate to that pain he never allowed himself to manifest. The only difference is Neha wants acknowledgement for her sacrifices, Dev has silently made it a part of his own being.
I liked you point of how Dev and Ishwari became a team fighting against cruel circumstances, and that is why they have a sense of gratitude for one another. And if Neha is not a part of this team, the fault lies with ALL three people involved, not just Ishwari or Dev.

Same with her marriage. Being financially independent is important, and I agree that marriage is not a solution for Neha's troubles. But I cannot blame only Ishwari or Dev here because Neha appears to be ecstatic about the marriage! I am sure if she had mentioned this to her brother that she wants to get financially independent, Dev would have done everything to fulfil this wish of hers, now that they have all the resources. But from all the gushing and blushing I see, Neha also perceives her happiness in marriage. Her brother is only obliging, albeit with not so sensible means. He perhaps feels that Sameer would fill the emotional vacuum in her life with some unconditional love which Neha's own family was unable to express. No doubt, IT IS A HUGE MESS!

Though must say, I am quite enjoying the rich variety of situations and emotions on showcase in each episode. Waiting to see what Sonakshi brings on board here!

Hey Sadhana :) Your name sounds familiar...did we interact in any other forum before?

Thanks for your response...great post! So true about the complexity of emotions being explored so well.

I agree with your point about Neha too...while I understand the basis of her bitterness, the show seems to overdo it a bit for the sake of building up the drama...it was getting a bit much in the Friday epi but then I let it go cuz it seems they wanted to set up the storyline of this adversely affecting Ishwari's health and that is what opens this up to the possibility of Sona entering their lives as Ishwari's Doctor/Nutritionist.

Neha is definitely immature with her views on marriage...she is being somewhat shortsighted in looking for immediate gains and also feels resentful about being burdened with responsibility early in life so now just wants to escape and live for herself...but in the process the way she treats the two people who are always striving to console her is definitely not nice.

I feel she needs outside perspective...that is where Sona will come in...Neha is least interested in opening her eyes to Dev and Ishwari's pain...possibly Sona can make her aware of that being a third party viewing all this.

Edited by AreYaar - 8 years ago
Srujana7.MaNan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Good to see you here Anu ๐Ÿค—
Lovely post ๐Ÿ‘
Sadhana_pr thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Hey Sadhana :) Your name sounds familiar...did we interact in any other forum before?

Thanks for your response...great post! So true about the complexity of emotions being explored so well.

I agree with your point about Neha too...while I understand the basis of her bitterness, the show seems to overdo it a bit for the sake of building up the drama...it was getting a bit much in the Friday epi but then I let it go cuz it seems they wanted to set up the storyline of this adversely affecting Ishwari's health and that is what opens this up to the possibility of Sona entering their lives as Ishwari's Doctor/Nutritionist.

Neha is definitely immature with her views on marriage...she is being somewhat shortsighted in looking for immediate gains and also feels resentful about being burdened with responsibility early in life so now just wants to escape and live for herself...but in the process the way she treats the two people who are always striving to console her is definitely not nice.

I feel she needs outside perspective...that is where Sona will come in...Neha is least interested in opening her eyes to Dev and Ishwari's pain...possibly Sona can make her aware of that being a third party viewing all this.

Good point, I didn't think of the third perspective part. Yes things look interesting from here on.
I think we may have interacted on Tum Saath Ho Jab Apne forum. Nice to see you here. ๐Ÿ˜Š
LadyMcbeth thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Love your analysis Anu! The promos didn't have any promises of angry young man forcing himself on on an exuberant lead - the promos I saw had a sense of Ladka, Ladki aur Woh... With the Woh not being a love triangle, but Mother of the groom herself... and not a shrew of a Mom, but a vulnerable, insecure Mom who has worked so hard that she forgot to live... A Mom who has spent her entire life securing her son's future...A flawed character who perhaps had limited ambitions... someone who thought money could buy/fix everything. 

SP is such an amazing actress. You can't even fault her possessiveness. She brings such tenderness to her role, that you feel like rooting for her. The mother-son bond is so thick, that there is no room for a third person between them, yet. One thing is for sure - as possessive as Ishwari is, she is not evil or selfish. She will want what every Mom wants - to see her son married and settled, eventually. She may delay the process and be in denial for a while, but she will come around.

It is an interesting situation. Let's see how the makers handle it. Dev will perhaps never outgrow his gratitude and love for his Mom. But he will eventually develop equally strong feelings for Sona. What he decides to do with those feelings and how he decides to act on them will, I guess, form the crux of the story...

Edit: I read someone's post here about Neha playing victim turned brat... 100% Agree! For the first couple of episodes, I truly empathized with her. But as the time went by, her character truly turned into badly behaved child who never grew up. Physically she is grown women who wants to marry, but mentally she is still that kid who wants validation and recognition for her sacrifices. Seeing the world through jaundiced eyes. All of the 4 kids had to go through poverty, instability and humiliation growing up. Then how come Neha is the only one brooding? Or perhaps it is the actress playing the character, I don't know. All I see right now is a girl who wants to be the center of the Universe.

Edited by LadyMcbeth - 8 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: LadyMcbeth

Love your analysis Anu! The promos didn't have any promises of angry young man forcing himself on on an exuberant lead - the promos I saw had a sense of Ladka, Ladki aur Woh... With the Woh not being a love triangle, but Mother of the groom herself... and not a shrew of a Mom, but a vulnerable, insecure Mom who has worked so hard that she forgot to live... A Mom who has spent her entire life securing her son's future...A flawed character who perhaps had limited ambitions... someone who thought money could buy/fix everything. 

SP is such an amazing actress. You can't even fault her possessiveness. She brings such tenderness to her role, that you feel like rooting for her. The mother-son bond is so thick, that there is no room for a third person between them, yet. One thing is for sure - as possessive as Ishwari is, she is not evil or selfish. She will want what every Mom wants - to see her son married and settled, eventually. She may delay the process and be in denial for a while, but she will come around.

It is an interesting situation. Let's see how the makers handle it. Dev will perhaps never outgrow his gratitude and love for his Mom. But he will eventually develop equally strong feelings for Sona. What he decides to do with those feelings and how he decides to act on them will, I guess, form the crux of the story...

Edit: I read someone's post here about Neha playing victim turned brat... 100% Agree! For the first couple of episodes, I truly empathized with her. But as the time went by, her character truly turned into badly behaved child who never grew up. Physically she is grown women who wants to marry, but mentally she is still that kid who wants validation and recognition for her sacrifices. Seeing the world through jaundiced eyes. All of the 4 kids had to go through poverty, instability and humiliation growing up. Then how come Neha is the only one brooding? Or perhaps it is the actress playing the character, I don't know. All I see right now is a girl who wants to be the center of the Universe.

Thanks, LadyM!

@Bold: Beautifully said! Tenderness is so the word...she brings tenderness even to a flawed or shall I say a humanly flawed character and that is why Ishwari manages to garner sympathy.

The two epis this week have shown a different side to Ishwari...her almost childishly bratty side when it comes to the food she wants to eat...lol again something so realistically shown...even the most grown up of ppl turn into totally different ppl when it comes to wanting to eat the kind of food they like...

I also agree with you that Ishwari will finally come around but her stubborn streak as is being established in the show right now shows it will be a prolonged battle of denial in her case...Sona seems to be the only antidote to this denial.

Re: Neha...she's just such a sour personality in general now that I kinda zone out during her scenes somewhat๐Ÿ˜†
Aakujaveer thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
GUys I see great potential in this show! I was last hooked to thapki pyar ki, and although I like manish, the show is an absolute dissapointment, I feel like my IQ drops every time I watch it, its not to be bashy, but I really liked the jodi. 

This show has more than a Jodi to offer, and yet the JODI is really refreshing. The lead girl, i think its erica? IS so amazing, and Shaheer too! What a pair! His cute innocent but somewhat broody look kind of won me over with the first episode, his expressions and eyes are so goood! I can't wait to see how this love story develops, and they are doing a good job of etching the picture of where these two come from. 
LOVE IT!!! 
Navyya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Fantastic take on the show..Are Yaar...I used to admire your posts on Rangrasiya forum too...
I am quite enjoying this show and the best part is each and every character is interesting and contributes to the story in taking it forward...ML is okish but really like the FL.
kasaf thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hey guys...
mene abhi just 2-3 din pahele hi start kara hai ye drama dekhna...mera ye first post reply hai iss thread me...muje ye drama bahot hi accha lag raha hai abhi ke liye...i loved mom and son bond...unka bond bahot hi acche se describe kiya  gaya hai...Dev sabse bada hai so bahot hi aesi bateein hongi aur problem hogi jo usne face kari hai...uske dusre sibling ko to pata bhi nahi hoga...so ishwari aur dev ne milke kitne hi problem solve kari hogi jisse unki family survive kar sake...dono me bahot acchi understanding bhi hai sabse badi baat vo apne sacrifice aur apne struggle  ke bareme complaint nahi karte rahete like neha...Dev aur Ishwari ke character ke bahot hi layer abhi to unfold hona baki hai...Ishwari bahot hi acchi mother hai single handed apni family ko survive karna koi aashan baat to nahi hai...iss process me bahot hi aese decision lene pade hoge jo ek liye positive hai aur dusre ke liye negetive...Dev ko education mili par i don't think so opportunity milne se kuch nahi hota uske liye hard work bhi bahot hi chahiye jo Dev ne bahot kara hai...vo school ke sath part time job bhoi karta hoga...Ishwari ke liye real word me jake  education ke bina paise kamana aashan to bilkul bhi nahi hoga...Dev ne bahot hi young age me apne dream aur apni life jina hi chod diya vo sirf apni mom aur apni sister ke liye hi jita hai vo bhi ekdum selfless...bina ek bhi complaint kare...so i like Dev and his carring nature...Ishwari ne bahot hi fab job kari hai

ab Neha pe ate hai muje lagta hai vo sirf centeric attention girl hai...muje uske bar bar ek hi batein karna bilkul bhi samaj me nahi aata...jab aesi family ho jaha pe financially problem ho...aur sabse badi baat papa na ho to aesi family me sabne apne level pe sacrifices kiye hi hote hai...koi apne sacrifices ginata raheta hai aur koi apne sacrifices ke bareme bolta bhi nahi hai...neha unn logo mese hai jo har ek time apne secrifices ginate raheta hai aur chahta hai ki usko hi importance mile...uski tarah uske dusre sibling ne bhi bhot hi sacrifices kare hai...uski dev ke sath ka competition ka koi logic hi nahi hai apne hi bhai aur baheno ke sath kesa competition...usse sirf dev se nahi apni baheneso bhi problem hai usko pyaar mila hai muje nahi...usne bhi choti umar me jab uski mom bahar jake kam kar rahi thi usne bhi mom ka affection miss kiya hai...par i must say vo choti hone baad bhi vo quite mature hai...neha abhi bhi 9 saal ki bacchi hi hai...jisko apne alawa dusre dikhahi nahi dete...aur uska har baar ye boln ke muje private school me education nhai mila uspe muje hassi ati hai...vo agar utni hi study pe serious thi to muje nahi lagta ke private school aur kuch bhi usko rok sakta tha...dev bada tha to uski books leke bhi stydy kar skati thi...kisne kaha ke aap private school me study karne se hi apko education milti hai indai ke 50% log big institute me nahi jate phir bhi vo successful hote hai...so muje neha ka character bilkul bhi pasand nahi aya vo sirf dusro ko hi blame kari hai usne khud kya kiya vo kabhi nahi sochti...vo badme bhi apni study resume kar sakti hai...i think vo attention seeker hai agar aap usko attention do to koi problem nahi hai...

neha bolti hai ki usko ghar me apni baheno ke sath chod ke mom and son bahar chale jate the taki dev ke study ke liye paise kama sake...par usko ye nahi pata hai ki real world me survive karna kitna mushkil hai...dev jispe hamesha pressure hai ki tumhe success milni hi chahiye itna pressure handle karna koi choti baat nahi hai...neha ne  apni baheno ka hi dhayan rakha hai na so sibling kisko bolte hai...family pe bura time ho to sab ko apne level pe sacrifices karne hi padte hai...Dev jisne kabhi bhi kuch bhi complaint nahi kara shayad iss liye hi vo mom ka itna laadla hai...muje nahi lgta ke usko ladke hone ki vajah se educatin mili par mera manna ye tha ki vo scholar aur bright tha iss liye Ishwari ne usko education di...neha itni hi scholr hoti to vo study karti aur scholarship leti aur padhti...uske ek hi rag se muje to irritation hota hai so i don't like neha...uska aesa hi attitude raha to jisse bhi shadi karegi uski bhi life hell ho jayegi...i m done with neha...mami ki battein sunke apni hi family member ko hurt karti hai...usko counselling jarurat hai...

muje do choti bahene bahot hi cute lagi...Ishwari bad mom hoti to unn dono ko bhi complaint honi chahiye so muje lagta hai yaha pe girl aur boy ki koi baat hi nahi hai...

sona just typical girl abhi ke liye shayad uske character me bhi layer ho sakte hai...uska caring nature to dikhaya hi tha jab uske bro ko paise chahiye aur usne diye the uske baad uske purse me apne liye paise nahi the so uske character me bhi layer hoge... so i like this drama...Supriya mam ne bahot hi acchi acting kari hai...Dev ki ok type job hai acting me so improvement ka scope hai...jab aap ek hi frame me acchi catress ke sth ho to apki acting skill to of course acchi hogi hi...

i hope ye typical sas bahu drama na bane...sabse badi baat i hope ye finite series ho...
kasaf thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

The promos of this show didn't appeal to me much but I decided to still give it a chance for Supriya Pilgaonkar who is such a masterclass in acting to watch...and to my surprise, I liked the first epi...and continued to like most of the epis throughout the week.

I see some discussions around the forum about disappointments regarding lack of interaction b/w the leads๐Ÿ˜†

Ironic, cuz to me what was nice to watch was the time the show gave for presenting/establishing Dev and Sona's backstories/family backgrounds in a solid fashion.  If on one side, we get an insight into the deep bond b/w Dev-Ishwari, his complicated relationship with his sister...on the other hand, we get an insight into Sona's no-nonsense health-conscious nutritionist personality, her affable interactions with her mother-father, brother, her grumbling in Bengali...these are rare things on TV these days when it's all about showing instant cliches and instant love angles.  And to their credit, they did show Dev-Sona interacting over the fun and that too was a good scene IMO.

But the reason this show appeals to me for now is not really for Dev-Sona as much as it is for the way Ishwari's character and her bond with her children has been presented.  SP has done many wonderful doting mother roles on TV over the course of her career, but to me for the first time, she is getting to do a role with nuance...for Ishwari is not your cliched possessive/controlling mother...her love for her children is very much genuine and pure, however she has had to make some tough choices and maybe made some mistakes along the way which have left a lasting impact on her relationships with her children and the way SP enacts that connects you so deeply to every emotion of Ishwari's...it's a lovely thing to watch.

Whether it is the scenes which show this deep, sometimes unspoken bond of understanding b/w her and Dev, or the scenes where she is still haunted by memories of their tough past, or it's the scenes where she flinches as her daughter lashes out at her berating her for years of supposed neglect, Ishwari is made into a special character by SP.  She is special because even as you see Ishwari being uncomfortable with the possibility of another woman in Dev's life, you somehow understand why...that is SP's win as an actor.

The scenes that really touched me are the ones that speak of how Ishwari and Dev had to become a team to shoulder that burden of responsibility in times of deep hardship and how that created such a deep bond b/w them that there isn't always space for another person there...and this is not something they do consciously...over time it seems to have evolved into this and that is why they are both so deeply protective about each other...and it's interesting how there are two sides to this coin...one is the sacrifices Ishwari made to give Dev the opportunities that would help the whole family overall or the sacrifices that sort of got imposed on Neha in the process...

Relationships are complicated...it is refreshing to see a show approach the greys without the usual blacks or whites.

Which is not to say that some cliched characters don't exist like the whole Sameer's mom situation or the Maami...but Ishwari's characterization so far is rising tall above all this for me...SP is just beautiful to watch in this role.

I've also liked the female lead so far...she could improve her dialogue delivery somewhat but she is decent so far...and there is promise to how this story will develop as Sona enters Dev-Ishwari's lives and what sort of impact she has.

Hope to see the show continue to have good writing.

nice post dear vese to tumne sare point cover kar liye hai...par phir bhi muje iss drama ke bareme likhna tha so mene apne view likhe hai jisme mene bahot sari bateein repeat kari hai...๐Ÿ˜Š