Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Simply_Smart thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Like the others said unfortunately "thin" is in. And the looks of the film stars do affect the moviegoers because the stars are recognized and successful to a point, which is an admirable characteristic. I don't think thiness should be given as much importance as being healthy. And if you are healthy, to a certain extent, you will be on the the "thinner" side rather than the "fat" or "obesed" side. I think if one is healthy they will be the perfect body size, because then they won't look anorexic either while being "thin"

I am really sorry if I offeneded anyone, I didn't mean it in that manner 😳
anjali.nair thumbnail

1)So is thin really "In"....

First we need to be clear on how thin is too thin? I don't think being skinny or too fat is ever "in" in real life but "too thin" is in for models and many actresses esp. in Hollywood which sets a bad example in today's youth.

2) Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth..

I was watching Will & Grace once and Debra Messing (who plays Grace) is so anorexic yet Will calls her fat and asks her to cut down on cakesπŸ˜•. She barely weighed 70-80 lbs in that episode. Such characterization is so wrong. Anorexia and Bulimia are very common in Hollywood and it's sad that is catching up with our teens. In Hindi Industry at least the toned actresses like Kajol and Bipasha are more famous as compared to anorexic ones like Shilpa Shetty

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ...

Somewhere people are getting it all wrong. Reducing weight as part of being healthier is now making girls and wannabe models thrive on salads all day and unhealthy lifestyle leading to thinness.

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

Anorexics and Bulimics are never good looking and they are sick. Should get treated or it could be life threatening. I would always say a toned woman is better anyday.

lalit1 thumbnail
i tried so hard to lose weight for the past 2 yrs
i now weigh 68 kgs for a 5' 11" frame

and i still feel as if i am fat

when i was chubby no body used to take me seriously
now that i am thin/normal ppl tend to look at me differently

thatr in itself is a great incentive to be thin even anorexic

the social accepatablity that u gain when u r thin
never mind that i was diagnosed as amnesiac due to continuous dieting
but i m telling u ppl respect u only when u are thin
sad but true

now i am back to normal at 68 but the felling of being thin was exhilarating
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
nice topic! and great discussion questions...

1)So is thin really "In"....

πŸ˜† its funny... a few centuries ago... in the time of famous artists, such as Da Vinci, Van Gogh, being FAT was a trend! It was the in thing back then. One reason of this was probably that food may have been scarce, and so not many people got the chance to be plumper. Those who did get food were probably rich enough. So fat was sort of a financial label. Now, being thin is pretty much the only thing people strive for, and sometimes, it can be a label.

There are ways to look great and fit, w/out being overly strenious and excessive about it. Healthwise, too much fat is not very good. But there's always a medium way, not too fat, not too thin. You can look good, feel great, and stay healthy.

2)Do the filmstars and models set a bad example to the youth..

in some ways, yes. They do many things to themselves to look good on camera, such as over-working (out) slimming tablets, and some even go for lypo w/out much reason. of course, the public, esp. the girls, woudn't want to go so extreme, so they skip out on eating. which is worse actually... we just need to learn that these celebrities arent perfect at all, and their fitness is not what we see, its what the camera sees, and what the camera feeds to us.

3)Why is so much importance being given to the "Thinness" ...

good question. people have their own reasons... some give importance to look better, some to feel better, some to don themselves on a mirror and feel great, some to gain attention, there are many reasons.
I think a pretty good and valid reason to tone down is for health reasons, to be physically fit, to be pretty okay. we dont have to be stick slim, we can be shaped up.

4)So is looking anorexic( a la Kate Moss) more important than looking "toned"(a la Bipasha)

NOT AT ALL. Looking anorexic is DISGUSTING. i watched this documentary on ET about celebrities that had near-death experiences with anorexia... one thing, they were almost dying.. another thing, they looked horendous. one of them told about how she got to her stage, which was "throwing up in the toilet every chance she got"

Bips looks awesome, and she does have some flab here and there. even with, she looks beautiful, and better than bein super slimEdited by rachna_5 - 17 years ago
Sharmii thumbnail
Thin certainly has always been In!
People these days need to look healthy rather than having this emanciated wafer thin look which suggests they havent eaten for days together..
You see some poeple are bioligically thin and no amount of ice creams can actually fatten them up.These guys are called the lucky ones .Being fat or chubby these days is considered Not so good looking and your at once tempted to run to these thinning clinics to lose ten kgs a day.This pheneomenen is really alarming.Everybody should stay healthy being thin or fat should not be the critria.They should concentrats more on fitness.
lighthouse thumbnail

Thin has always been "IN" in my entire lifetime. A few pounds here and there does not hurt but being obeses is a complete turn off.
It is impossible for most ppl to retain their body weight and shape of teenage yrs and early 20's. The only thing IMO that keeps growing after puberty are fat cells.!!!!

It is funny, yesterday my house cleaner told me that she was going to her country Columbia for yet another liposuction on the flab on her back and she is not even 40!!! So far she has had 4 kids, tummy tuck with uterus and intenstines lift, dental work with bone removed from her chin to upper lip, liposuction on thighs, hips. I was flabergasted to hear that ppl in her country go to plastic surgeons like I go to the mall!!! and I thought she looked good because she works 8 hours a day cleaning houses!!!! πŸ˜• πŸ˜†
copperboom thumbnail
Thin is in! Whether it be your body, cellphone, or MP3. It's because of present day culture. Back in the day heavier women were prefered because it meant they were healthier and could bear more children. Today, however this isn't the case. Being too thin doesn't look good and for those who insist on being thin, need to know where to draw the line and not go the Mary-Kate Olsen way.
AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
An article on Yahoo!
In ITALY; Thin Is In!!!!!

Don't meddle with our models, say Milan fashionistas By Sophie Hardach
Tue Sep 26, 8:15 AM ET

Milan fashion week is resisting calls for a ban on underweight models amid a debate on super-thin girls and eating disorders that has gripped the public but elicits bored yawns from designers.

Madrid earlier this month asked models below a certain weight to stay away from its shows, but on the catwalks in Milan there were plenty of girls with stick-thin arms and gaunt faces.

Mario Boselli, head of the Italian fashion industry's chamber of commerce, told Reuters on Tuesday there were no plans to copy Madrid.

Speaking on the phone between fashion shows, he said he had seen "maybe one girl among a hundred" that could be defined as too skinny and that there was no need for regulations.

Media had reported that Milan was adopting its own set of rules to protect models, but Boselli said those regulations were merely part of Italian law, were not new and had nothing to do with the weight issue.

"There's been a misunderstanding. We follow the Italian labor law, which means that underage models must have a health certificate, show that they attend school and be accompanied. But that applies to all minors, not just models," he said.

Burberry's designer Christopher Bailey, celebrating backstage with a crowd including his model friend Stella Tennant, a lean and towering mother-of-four, also opposed specific rules.

"I don't think it's so simple, I'm very thin and I eat like a horse...I think it's something we all have to be conscious and sensible about, we have to use common sense," he said.

When asked whether he had ever refused to employ a model because she was too thin, he declined to comment further.

At the 1980s-inspired show of Dolce & Gabbana's D&G label, girls with stork-like legs ending in chunky platform shoes trotted down the catwalk, their tiny waists narrowed even further by tightly girded belts and corsets.

Backstage before the show, 18-year-old Heather Marks from Canada, her fragile frame huddled in a big black jacket, said she personally had never felt pressure to stay thin.

"This season there are a lot of really thin girls. So many of the new girls are 14 so they are going to be super-thin because they haven't reached puberty," she said.

Marks was sitting in a corner reading Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream for school while around her, make-up artists and hair stylists buzzed over dozens of big-eyed, porcelain-skinned models.

"You do see a lot of girls, mostly Russian, where you don't know if they're naturally thin," Marks added.

But speaking to models from Russia and Eastern Europe at another fashion show, the response was always the same: we are naturally thin, we have never felt any pressure to loose weight.

"We're tall -- I'm 1.80 meters so it wouldn't look good if I were big," said 22-year-old Ekaterina Kashyntsera, a striking Ukrainian with short, dark hair who said she exercised and ate healthily to stay in shape. "But it's your own choice. If you don't want to,
Edited by legallyblonde21 - 17 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
Thanks for the article LB..i read it today and was thinking to post in this topic.......it's all business! i agee to last line..."it's your choice, if you don't want to"!