Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
^^^ A new separate thread about Draupadi's softer qualities would be good.  Would it be based on MB or SB?  Or HV?  Or anything else?
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
^^^HV doesn't have anything significant on Draupadi. 
SB- only her conversation with Krishna's wives.

In the MB- Bhavadipa's and the Southern recension, her character really stands out.
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: varaali

^^^HV doesn't have anything significant on Draupadi. 

SB- only her conversation with Krishna's wives.

In the MB- Bhavadipa's and the Southern recension, her character really stands out.

What about Villibharatham?
And have you read Panchali Sabatham?
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I have to agree with Varaali on this one, but wish to clarify that I get Sema's sentiment as people were calling Sita weak, submissive and less of a worthy role model in a similar thread elsewhere and that can be frustrating. Sita Mata certainly possessed all the good qualities we attribute to her and more, but then Shri Ram also upheld his duties towards her that whole time (though I believe this was true literally the whole time, we'll discuss upto Ravan vadh for the sake of simplicity). The mere thought of her in danger gave him sleepless nights after her abduction, while the Pandavs bore the sight of being tormented without standing up for her. So she was able to demonstrate the qualities that make her Sita because Ram was Ram. She didn't argue or complain about him because he gave her no reason. However, that's not to discredit the greatness of the Pandavs - they made a mistake but they learned and grew afterwards. Sita and Ram had no room for growth because they were already perfect, and the Dwaapar characters were works in progress trying to get there. That is why Draupadi had to speak up when she did, because without knowing what you're doing wrong how do you fix it? We who revere Prahlad and Mandodari and Vibhishan for trying their hardest to bring their family members on the right path understand that dharma in relationships is about looking out for your loved ones' best interests, not blindly agreeing with them in every situation (this applies to friendship too... bet you can guess where I'm going with that one 😉).
I'd like to point out scenarios proving that Sita wasn't weak and Draupadi wasn't callous, but I'm at work right now so it'll have to be later. Or I could just be lazy and let Sema do the former, Varaali the latter, and I'll put my feet up and enjoy their hard work as usual 😆
Edited by lola610 - 10 years ago
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Great post...👏

I am glad to see there are people who have the same sentiments as I have regarding Draupadi.

Firstly, I would like to point out that there is NO comparison between Sita and Draupadi.

The reasons are:

Their natures were completely different.

Ma Sita had Lord Ram, as her husband. Lord Ram was PERFECT, in every aspect.
He was a perfect man, a perfect son, a perfect husband and a perfect brother.
Lord Ram and Ma Sita were separated from each other forever. But as far as I know,  Lord Ram never married again. Despite being away from his wife, he remained a celibate all his life.

Was this same attitude shown by Draupadi's husbands as well?
Did Draupadi have the same luck, as far as her husbands were concerned?

Let us look at what kind of husbands Draupadi had.

One husband of hers, staked her in a dice game, and others watched silently as she got disrobed.
Then after 13 years of exile, that same husband let her go through the same pain, by remaining silent, as she was being kicked by Keechak.
Then Arjun.
Arjun went for exile, where he was supposed to be a celibate, but he returned with 3 wives and 2 children.
On top of that, Draupadi had to share her love and attention towards 5 men, which is NOT  an easy task.

Apart from Bhima, no one was that vocal about their love towards Draupadi.
I do believe that the Pandavas loved and respected her immensely, but due to the polygamous-polyandrous marriage, their love could not flourish the way it should have.

On the other hand, Lord Ram and Ma Sita belonged to each other only.
That gave them the chance to love, understand and care for each other, something which Draupadi never had with her husbands.

Ma Sita suffered a lot, but Lord Ram was there to fight for her and only her.
Whereas, Draupadi suffered a lot, even to the extent of physical assault, but her husbands remained quiet, and waged war, mainly for their land.

So, I guess, this comparison is not fair.

Indeed Ma Sita is the ideal Indian woman. She was more a Goddess, and had no flaws.
She showed immense dignity in various situation and was an epitome of motherhood. Ma Sita was indeed FLAWLESS.

But Draupadi had different qualities and sufferings...so calling her mundane  would be an insult.

And I agree with u Varaali. I have been shouting my lungs out in the Mahabharat forum regarding this.

Draupadi was NOT always arrogant, vile and vengeful.This exaggeration has been done by various serials, and novels.
She had those soft moments as well, which are NEVER highlighted.

In Star Plus' Mahabharat serial, they showed Draupadi as vile, where she was required to be cordial, and then showed her as a drama queen, where she was supposed to be vengeful.

Being an ardent admirer of Draupadi, I have read the parts in KMG, that relate to her.
Honestly, even when she is talking to Yudisthir, during exile, and asking him to wage war, I DO NOT think that she was being rude.
She was trying to convince Yudisthir in a very logical, and intellectual manner, drawing analogies, of what happens when a person is too forgiving or too vengeful.

So, this whole idea, that Draupadi was an arrogant, witch-like woman, which many people think her to be is wrong. She was straight-forward, firm and proud, and like most other characters in the epic, made some mistakes. But in what manner do we expect a woman to behave, if she is being dragged, molested, and disrobed, in front of her silent husbands? 
Ma Sita knew that her husband would rescue her.
But Draupadi did not have that same fortune.

There is a reason why a man like Ved Vyas made her the heroine.

Edited by amritat - 9 years ago
Posted: 9 years ago
This certainly is an interesting discussion... I have thought about it myself on countless occasions... well, personally I believe Hindu women should follow Mata Parvati bcoz i think she embodies ideal femininity.. Devi Sita is ofcourse very motherly, loving,caring,forgiving ( all of them r ideal feminine virtues that makes a woman , an ideal woman ) , however, anything in excess is a poison, when such virtues are taken for granted they turn into submissive weakness ( agreeing to give agnipareeksha everytime & finally seeking shelter in Bhumi Devi for all eternity which according to me was a kind of synonym to suicide ) & that definitely does not set an ideal example..i would like to think that, due to Devi Sita's presence in Ramayan, it became a necessity to introduce a character like Draupadi in Mahabharat..it sort of balances out things..Devi Sita did not raise voice against injustice & Draupadi did.. and i believe that it is good thing that even Draupadi is considered  an ideal woman..but the same rule applies here as well, anything in excess is a poison..it is a good thing to seek justice but forever living in anger & revengeful attitude is a bad thing, such an attitude is enough to make anyone bitter..and I have seen bitter women ; they do not make for a pleasant company..i think what is required is a proper balance that will enable a woman to follow ideal virtues without turning those virtues into submissive weakness.. and I think unlike Devi Sita or even Draupadi, Mata Parvati embodies this balance perfectly..  Edited by Quixotic5 - 9 years ago