Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by: J.

Is marriage an identity or a status??

One should be able to identify with marraige more than allowing the relationship to identify us.

Marraige is an a relationship, just like parenthood and parents. No single relationship identifies anyone (I believe), but everyone of these relationships adds many fold to one's identity.

Status in society, yeah legally and practically speaking yes it is relevant.

Do we HAVE to get married? (especially in the Indian community)

No, I dont believe one has to get married, especially if they dont want to. Like if there is something that you want to achieve in life that requires most of your time and energy then you dont want to marry someone who doesnt share the same belief.

Marraige requires commitment and time, so if you dont have that then why bother.

I believe once you get married, unless there are compelling reasons not to, one should stay married.

If we have to .. what is a good age .. if there is one?

No particular good age for marraige I think.

I think if you are independant and responsible whether you are 20 or 30 its fine.

If I was a guy would rules be different for me? Is it just because I am a girl my mom is forcing me to get married or at least forcing me to get prepared for it??

I feel parents force guys to tie the knot as well, a few years later though. They constantly seem to worry about them not settling down with someone.

If I do get married .. will I be the only one compromising?? Are men really that stubborn??

Tough question. I think girls tend to give up more in terms of ambition and opportunity. This doesnt have to be the case but girls as much as guys are responsible for this.

Compromising on issues I dont think so. I think men compromise too. You want to watch Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (only with him) when he wants to play golf, that can happen-😆

... hope u can all present ur views ... i wud really like to know wat others think about this.

Note to Mods: if this has been discussed before .. feel free to lock/trash😳

- Jas

Jas,

Marraige is a very key relationship (i believe). If you make the promise you have to know what it entails and believe you can keep the promise. If none of these are true then why bother.

Sharing belief is important to married, not interests. That is only a bonus.