Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Hinduism continues to be one of the most adaptable religions in the world.Most Hindus respect the rights of others to their own beliefs. According to the tenets of Hinduism, all philosophies and belief systems are considered to be equally valid paths to salvation, and it is considered inappropriate to judge the choices of others.Hindu children grow up learning to follow the tenets and customs of their parents. But in adolescence and young adulthood, they are encouraged to make their own choices as to what primary Hindu Gods or Goddesses they find personally inspiring. Although as adults they will continue to practice many family rituals, they also conduct their own private worship in whatever manner seems most beneficial to them. These basic cornerstones of Hinduism have made it one of the most tolerant religions in the world. Exceptions to this attitude are found only in politically motivated disturbances.

But it is high time Hindus stood up to those degrading what we hold holy. Else the world might mistake tolerance for pure cowardice.

The Prophet cartoons evoked world wide protests. The book Da Vinci Code though a ficitonal piece evoked outrage and was banned by the pope. Hindus definitely need to find a way to show the world that they need to be more sensitive in the potrayal of our Gods.Edited by winnie_pooh - 18 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: TiN24

Well....at least now people can see how we Muslims felt when cartoons about our Prophet (PBUH) were made for people to poke fun at. You see how it hurts and how insulting it is? Someone who you respect so much is portrayed in such a manner that is so dispicable and insulting.

The problem is partially that Hinduism is poked fun with all the time (as much as other religons are). But Hinduism is genuinly so tolerant that people do not react like other religons tend to react  .See this website www.hinduhumanrights.org for history of hindu abuse !!Although i empathise with the cartoon issue with all Muslims, its just that Hinduism has dealt with issues in a different manner with tolerance.

Like you said you don't believe in idol worship but respect it . The same way Hindus will respect your fight for religon/jihad but will handle the issue differently according to Hindu beliefs. Hope i didn't offend any one .

Edited by Aparna_BD - 18 years ago
sowmyaa thumbnail
I agree that Hinduism and I would say even Budhism is quite tolerant religion. I would say being tolerant is a good sign in religion. I personally admire the tolerant quality so I think there is nothing wrong. Yes, we should raise our voice on such issues but not the extend that affect life of someone or economy of country. We don't need to "shout" to draw the attention. Just 'coz other religion shout and fight does not mean we should do the same. To be frank I think it is very helpful to Hinduism that it is so tolerant. It is help our country and teaching us good values to not to put religion above human lives. I am proud that Hinduism is teaching peace and not to get angry when someone tries to put you down. These are just my personal views and I don't intend to offend anyone.
Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

I agree that Hinduism and I would say even Budhism is quite tolerant religion. I would say being tolerant is a good sign in religion. I personally admire the tolerant quality so I think there is nothing wrong. Yes, we should raise our voice on such issues but not the extend that affect life of someone or economy of country. We don't need to "shout" to draw the attention. Just 'coz other religion shout and fight does not mean we should do the same. To be frank I think it is very helpful to Hinduism that it is so tolerant. It is help our country and teaching us good values to not to put religion above human lives. I am proud that Hinduism is teaching peace and not to get angry when someone tries to put you down. These are just my personal views and I don't intend to offend anyone.

Soumya i agree with you . I too feel proud that Hindus are a tolerant lot !!But i don't entirely believe in the Gandhian philosphy that turn your other cheek either. In the www.hinduhumanrights.org website the Hindus have fought for the abuse with the "pen" and not the "sword" !! I firmly believe pen is mightier than the sword philosphy though . And thats the way to fight for a cause !!
TiN24 thumbnail
To all Hindu's:

Stand up for what you believe in. Like some of you have said Hinduism has been made a target several times. I am not promoting violent breakouts or extreme riots and protests....but don't stay quiet either.

I think people around the entire world need to realize what it means to disrespect someone's religion, religious beliefs and religious values. If you (hindus) have stayed quiet before...don't do the same now cause chances are people are going to and have take more advantage of your silence.

Just remember....you should make your point loud and clear but without having innocent lives get hurt. I wish I could have said the same for the cartoon protests, but what's done is done I can't change the past.

sowmyaa thumbnail
If all the religion has least tolerance and keep on fighting for their personal belief I think this world would be even messier. I think if my God is sacred to me I definitely don't expect others to make fun of it. M.F.Hussain has made the fun then he should be punished, but not someone else. Rebelling and raising voice against who? Why blame entire community for stupid action by few people. This creates more enmity and leaves bad tastes for long. I think just 'coz someone paint my God as ugly does not make him ugly. Really …that just show how cheap the opposite person is. That just shows his quality as human being. I agree with Aparna, Pen is mightier than sword and I would prefer that way. Also staying quite does not mean that people take us for granted. We have seen issues like Ram Mandir and Babri Masjeed. Hindus have definitely raised their voice when needed, but I think if religion is taking life of people it is just disgusting to fight in name of God. Fighting for evil is justified. We have Lord Krishna himself preaching to fight against evil, but if opposite person mocks at you don't ruin your karma.

I think M.F. Hussain should be punished for what he did. But I don't expect Hindus to carry our rallys and protest groups on roads where people get stumbled and get killed and get locked in jain. This is like you are hurting your own self for a stupid man!! He definetly does not deserve this!!!
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kay Kay

M.F. Hussain has been using his artistic freedom to depict Indian goddesses in the buff for years now and getting away with it, all because of the average Hindu's, high level of tolerence. Infact, I find the Hindu religion the most accomodating of most religions. This is my personal view.

Coming back to M.F. Hussain and his drawings of Hindu dietys in the buff, I wonder if it ever occured to him that by such depiction he in reality, is treading on flare terrain and stoking passion flames amongst followers of the religion.

I agree with you.

Artists are known to do crazy things. Having the artistic freedom  does not mean one can go to any extent in hurting others feelings. Most of us have certain respect and vision for our respective beliefs. May be he adores controversies. I just have the feeling that he seeks the lime-light. He roams about in bare-boot everywhere to attract the attention, while riding cool cars and staying in 5 star hotels.

I don't know about the punishment, but hope next time he is thoughtful and meticulous about treading in controversial territories.

syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aparna_BD

Soumya i agree with you . I too feel proud that Hindus are a tolerant lot !!But i don't entirely believe in the Gandhian philosphy that turn your other cheek either. In the www.hinduhumanrights.org website the Hindus have fought for the abuse with the "pen" and not the "sword" !! I firmly believe pen is mightier than the sword philosphy though . And thats the way to fight for a cause !!

I totally agree with you Aparna, because in todays environment turning the other cheek can only get you into tho hospital with fractured cheekbones!  but i think the way to go about showing our anger has to be legally by suing them and perhaps by doing what  the middle east countries did...boycott of danish goods....hit them where it hurts them the most......their pockets. i really dont think writing essays about how hurt we are will ever make a difference..