Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
I agree with Aishu. Lola should lock this topic because it is achieving nothing but angering people. We have long deviated from the purpose of this topic and it may cause fights between members if allowed to continue.
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@Lalitha Di - You are absolutely right when you say that sacrificing a family member for the sake of greater good is Dharma. But may I know what 'greater good' did Ram or his subjects incur by Sita's banishment? It was a severe blow to the moral and self respect of the women of Ayodhya - when a man spends time with other women he's not asked to prove his chastity by undergoing Agni Pariksha, but when the same thing comes upon a woman, why are the laws twisted? If you had been a citizen of Ayodhya would you have revered Ram's decision? Would you have ever trusted such a ruler in your life after that verdict (in case you had no idea that He's God Incarnate)?

People hailed Him as God and I think by taking this step He actually made people believe that Sita was indeed unchaste. It was only Luv and Kush who knocked some sense into the empty headed citizens of Ayodhya. Ram did not serve justice to His countrymen with this, He merely appeased them. That is what Indian leaders do upto this day and that is why the country is mired in illiteracy and regional and communal hatred. Appeasing the wrong ideals have always bore bitter fruits.

It is the first Dharma of every leader to lead his country men towards literacy and remove narrow minded ideals. Instead, by himself acting as per those outdated and illogical mentality, he would be actually encouraging Adharma. We all know the divine reason behind the Agni Pariksha and we also know that Ram banished Sita for a curse which was laid upon Vishnu. But ordinary people won't understand this and they would emulate Ram's example and treat their own wives in even worse ways. Ram's Dharma should have been to stand by Sita - not because She was His wife - because She was sinless and yet was being served with injustice.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Darklord_Rehan

@Lalitha Di - You are absolutely right when you say that sacrificing a family member for the sake of greater good is Dharma. But may I know what 'greater good' did Ram or his subjects incur by Sita's banishment?It was a severe blow to the moral and self respect of the women of Ayodhya - when a man spends time with other women he's not asked to prove his chastity by undergoing Agni Pariksha, but when the same thing comes upon a woman, why are the laws twisted? If you had been a citizen of Ayodhya would you have revered Ram's decision? Would you have ever trusted such a ruler in your life after that verdict (in case you had no idea that He's God Incarnate)?

People hailed Him as God and I think by taking this step He actually made people believe that Sita was indeed unchaste. It was only Luv and Kush who knocked some sense into the empty headed citizens of Ayodhya. Ram did not serve justice to His countrymen with this, He merely appeased them. That is what Indian leaders do upto this day and that is why the country is mired in illiteracy and regional and communal hatred. Appeasing the wrong ideals have always bore bitter fruits.

It is the first Dharma of every leader to lead his country men towards literacy and remove narrow minded ideals. Instead, by himself acting as per those outdated and illogical mentality, he would be actually encouraging Adharma. We all know the divine reason behind the Agni Pariksha and we also know that Ram banished Sita for a curse which was laid upon Vishnu. But ordinary people won't understand this and they would emulate Ram's example and treat their own wives in even worse ways. Ram's Dharma should have been to stand by Sita - not because She was His wife - because She was sinless and yet was being served with injustice.

First off, I would appreciate you not compare Ram to our world leaders today. That is the utmost disrespect you can give any incarnation of God and I am not willing to argue with someone who does so. Forgive me, but I find that just unacceptable. As for your first query, I will go directly to Valmiki Ramayan and cite direct passages that justify Ram's decision. It is a wonder that anyone who has read Valmiki Ramayan can still harbor doubts about Sita's banishment after reading it thoroughly. I agree that for an ordinary mortal, it would be immoral to banish one's innocent wife, but Ram was not an ordinary mortal. He was a King and most importantly, GOD. He is beyond right and wrong. He is the one who created the universe, who rules the entire universe let alone a small Kingdom called Ayodhya. He is the who who decides what is Dharma and what is Adharma. He is the one who decides who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. He is the one who controls the destiny and lives of every single human being. Who are we to criticize the actions of the supreme being, who is the Lord of the entire universe? We are mere mortals crawling on Earth and even if we try to, we can never truly understand the essence of God. Whatever Ram did was Dharma, and that is an indisputable fact. Whatever Krishna did was also Dharma, and we cannot attempt, with our limited and materialistic knowledge, to say what they did was "right" or "wrong".

Moreover, the people of Ayodhya knew Ram was Vishnu, because it was declared by the Devtas after Ravan Vadh, so they would have accepted any action of his as Dharma, but Ram was a righteous King, and to him his praja came first and he did not take advantage of their total faith in him.
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
This discussion has strayed really far away from the topic. The article referred to Ayodhya Kand, not Uttar Kand. I hope future discussions can remain more relevant and respectful than this. Topic closed.

Mytho Masti DT