Pankaj Dheer, the Sarpanch - Article

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
How did the role of the Sarpanch come by? What made you accept it?

There are many reasons why I have taken up this show; I know the producer and the director very well. I liked the way they are presenting the show, with its Gujarati touch. My character is very strong...

How different is this role from your role in Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat?

In Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat, I play a King who has a strong personality, who is the ruler of his province while in Odhani I play the role of Sarpanch, who loves justice.
What are your tips to the young actors of Odhani – Yashashri, Harpreet Singh and Karan for them to improve?

All are at their learning stage and these days all the young actors want easy money and fame. Yashashri is fine and she has a very bubbly nature. I would like to give one tip to all of them: Work hard. This is my guru mantra. And then fame and money will follow. They also have to work on their expressions.

What is it about Odhani's rustic theme that makes it stand apart from other such shows?

The theme of the show looks very authentic; especially the Kutch background makes it very real from all other shows...
Tell us more about him.

He is the elected head of the village in which Khanak and Suraj reside. The 57 year old Sarpanch wields a lot of power and authority and his judgment is taken as the final word by the village people and no one questions his verdict. He is a man of wisdom, who believes in exercising his power for the good of people and in bringing fair justice to the village folk. He wants the welfare of the girls.

You've been doing this a long time. How are today's young actors like Yashashri, Karan from Odhani and Kapil Nirmal from Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat?

In my career, I have worked with so many young actors and each young actor has different plus points, so I really can't tell. But it is fun to work with them!
Which are your favourite TV shows and why?

I really don't have any favourite shows because all the shows are regressive, especially Balika Vadhu, we all know that child marriage was a bad custom but to highlight this topic which only appeals to rural India and not urban India is not wise.

Favourite television actor and actress, since you have opened an acting academy?

I don't really have any favourite TV actors but recently I saw some portions of Balika Vadhu in which I liked the role of dadisa played by Surekha Sikri then amongst the television actors I like the boy, Shekhar, played by Abhishek Rawat who is there in Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Kijio, I think these actor should work in films and not in daily soaps.
About your acting academy, what will aspiring students get to learn from your academy?

I have recently opened Abhinay Acting Academy, where we will train and polish aspiring young talent. The Faculty Head of the academy is Gufi Paintal, who is a very dear friend of mine, and there are other learned people from FTII. We'll have four-month and six-months course, and charge Rs.90,000/- for the smaller course. I share a good rapport with Gufi Paintal (he played the role of Shakuni Mama in B.R.Chopra's Mahabharat) and our friendship started right from the Mahabharata days. He is like family to me...

Akshay Kumar came for the opening of your academy, which must have felt great. Since when have you been friends?

I know him from his early days. He had given his first shot of his first film with me. I just told him over the phone about my academy and he agreed to come without hesitation and without any attitude. Akshay hasn't changed himself at all, for me he is like a younger brother. Some of his early films like Saugandh, Mr.Bond, Ikke Pe Ikka were produced by me and I had also acted in them. He is very humble and he still wants to learn more, which I really liked about him. He spent more than an hour with us discussing the academy.
Your son, Niketin Dheer is also an actor. Does he contribute to the academy?

Yes, he is an actor but he is busy with his shoots and no he hasn't contributed anything to the academy because he is still learning himself.

Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat is also very successful. What do you think about it?

Yes, I am aware that this show is running successfully in the afternoon slot and I am happy that the show has completed more than 500 episodes and we are hoping to cross more.
Which role on TV do you think was the turning point in your career? Why?

I am in this industry for 39 years and this my 40th year in the industry, I have done more than 100 television serials and 150 films. But the turning point in my career was the show Mahabharata and then I did shows like Chandrakanta.The role of Karna had made such an impact on the audiences and the producers that automatically I got many offers….and still I am counting.

We have seen you in very few daily soaps, what's the reason behind being so selective?

I really can't afford daily soaps because besides acting I am into my production company which is under making. In Mumbai, I have total of six studios like Visage at Jogeshwari (West),Vis-a-Vis studio and Vista Studios. These have sets built in them: hospitals, houses and many other such things. I am planning to start a production company and work on it is underway. In 30 days of work, I give 15 days to my shows and set aside 10 days for my business.
Any message for your fans?

I just want to tell them to keep loving and supporting me in my work. Take care.

http://www.indya.com/gallery/indyagallery.aspx?p=Pankaj-Dheer-the-Sarpanch&aid=1664

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

usmrasul thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks abi
i saw him in the promo and he acted just the way he does in RKAB, it seemed same to me😕
but his words are intelligent....no wonder Beenadi likes him so much😉
he is right in praising Shekhar of Agle janam....that boy is really good.....if only Kapil used his brains and muscles together, maybe Pankaj would have talked about him😒  🥺
🥺anyway, he really is a busy man....wish him all success👍🏼
Juna04 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for the article abhi and yes he seems to be very busy man. Well anyway good luck to him and his various businesses
Faiza_sam thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks Abi,

Really enjoyed his interview and good to read that he has a lot of work to do in real life  and he is aware about surroundings as it is totally contrastive from his role in RKAB😉 where he always seems confused and we find him singing ''Yeh Kya ho raha hai bhaiya yeh kya ho raha hai ?''😕😆

PS: I really like the pic where Upasana, Amit and he is togther,Amit is looking too young😛and cool😎
Edited by Faiza_sam - 14 years ago
darshana23 thumbnail
I saw that promo too...... Its treat for Beena di. I need to go through this article fully before commenting on anything. Thanks for it Abi!
Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Abi!

I actually watched the first week of Rang Badalti Odhani (last week) and one thing for sure, Pankaj rocks as the Sarpanch. He has the aura the puranawala RS had - that authority, the power, the grace, the wisdom, the influence...all the good things the top man should have. He's also so warm and friends, always a good combo.
bsingapury thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
oh my god.............really loving each and evry bit of this article done fantastically in detail

so many things we did not know about this humble man............he is really great guy

and some how i fee this interview was done only for me......lol ....lol

kuchchh to mere liye chhodo yaar...........

now that Odhani drama is from Yash patnaik and i know he is very good writer............but sad part is it is on STAR one that i dont have here and ............from few begining promo i got effact of Hum DIL De CHUKE SANAM..........

like that girl running after CHHAKADAA( one kind of riksha in gujarat it is call by that name).........than all aunties working on terrace and one bua had bitter words to say........

so i thought it has same story but than i read synopsis it has different story

any way sorry for going out of track

OUR RS is indeed doing so many things yaar i did not have idea that he was producer of movie SAUGANDH

one of my liking movie.......it was different movie....
and he is indeed wise with words..........very inteigently given answers

bestuck RS ji i have always admired him AS KARN.........and from day one because the way he brought out KARN's character out..........i have strong love for character call KARN the one character i love in mahabharat..........the most........is only karn

and now i will always admire him as RS............
great actor remains great always...........best luck to him
Roshni. thumbnail
Thanks Abi for the Article!

Good luck to him for all his projects!😃
radha105 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Oh RS in another show....great news....His main asset is his voice....he commands very well...

Ha Beena.... I too admire him as" Karn" in mahabharat...Pankak Dheer played  "Karn" role and Puneeth played "Dhuryodhan" role...that time this combination was a great success....

Best of luck to him.....Thanx for the news Abhi...