Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

But if everyone overestimates a movie and distributors lose money then it’s a hot mess. Remember Tubelight and how after about a week everyone started talking about distributors’ Ki laashein?  I think salman ended up paying them some of their money back.  If I’m not mistaken Rajnikanth also paid the distributors of one of his flops a few years ago.  

yes who can forget that..it is never as simple..i remember being told earlier too..it is always based on the distributors share..

but i feel post pandemic things are different as well.. producers are selling it to distributors for lower prices..which is how these two emerged hits 

1) sooryavanshi ..budget listed by BOI is 250cr and net domestic 190cr

2) gangubai..budget listed by BOI..160cr..net domestic 130cr

If distributors have purchased these are lower prices..which I feel is the case..verdicts make sense to me

How much is SP sold to distributors for? That would be the key here..

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: NoraSM

Pen India Limited is the producer (along with SLB) and distributor. How does it work when producer is the distributor? Like YRF produced and distributed Samrat Prithviraj

I don’t know. I guess in that case then it’s directly dependent on budget. 

I didn’t know Gangu’s producers were also the distributors. Where did the 90cr number come from then?  Because if all that info is wrong then gangu needed to do 160 to break even.  

NoraSM thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -PD-

Gangubai is clear flop based on collections but declared hit due to hype 😆

If it's budget is less than definitely we can call it a hit and many other films also

Best example for recent times is radheshyam, it has huge collections of 150+ crores for a south film. It can easily called a blockbuster but it is called a disaster because of budget of 350 crores.

Same goes to RRR, it 650 crores and overall it is blockbuster but consider only Hindi belt, it is average because of budget and collection.

Where KGF is 100crores budget and collected 1200 crores...

So which movie is a real hit and which one is flop... All depends on budget. 

Yup and we don't really know which one is hit and flop. Look at the treatment of two flops, 83 was declared a disaster on day 1 while Gangubai is being celebrated like its bigger than KGF

They control narrative and some are sheltered better than queen of England 

IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: cougarTown

yes who can forget that..it is never as simple..i remember being told earlier too..it is always based on the distributors share..

but i feel post pandemic things are different as well.. producers are selling it to distributors for lower prices..which is how these two emerged hits 

1) sooryavanshi ..budget listed by BOI is 250cr and net domestic 190cr

2) gangubai..budget listed by BOI..160cr..net domestic 130cr

If distributors have purchased these are lower prices..which I feel is the case..verdicts make sense to me

How much is SP sold to distributors for? That would be the key here..

YRF typically distributes their own films. I’m guessing in this case it is calculated entirely based on budget.  Someone can correct me if I got this wrong.

I just checked Wikipedia and Gagnu was distributed by Pen Madurar Entertainment and they are also listed as producers of the movie. So either wiki got it wrong or there’s more information or calculations going on that I don’t understand because I definitely remember two different sites listing its distributors price at 90cr 🤷🏽‍♀️

NoraSM thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: IAmLuvBolly

I don’t know. I guess in that case then it’s directly dependent on budget. 

I didn’t know Gangu’s producers were also the distributors. Where did the 90cr number come from then?  Because if all that info is wrong then gangu needed to do 160 to break even.  

Overseas distributor is Paramount pictures maybe they bought it for 90cr 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10083340/companycredits

Edited by NoraSM - 2 years ago
PD_forums thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: NoraSM

Yup and we don't really know which one is hit and flop. Look at the treatment of two flops, 83 was declared a disaster on day 1 while Gangubai is being celebrated like its bigger than KGF

They control narrative and some are sheltered better than queen of England 

I know right ... Funniest thing is 83 day 1 collection is more than Gangubai... And i think 83 collected more than Gangubai but still people mock 83 and praise Gangu to sky 😆

priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Gangubai is clear flop based on collections but declared hit due to hype 😆

If it's budget is less than definitely we can call it a hit and many other films also

Best example for recent times is radheshyam, it has huge collections of 150+ crores for a south film. It can easily called a blockbuster but it is called a disaster because of budget of 350 crores.

Same goes to RRR, it 650 crores and overall it is blockbuster but consider only Hindi belt, it is average because of budget and collection.

Where KGF is 100crores budget and collected 1200 crores...

So which movie is a real hit and which one is flop... All depends on budget. 

yes I agree

The budget was very high it could have been a hit it the budget was significantly reduced

cougarTown thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 9 Thumbnail + 5

I know right ... Funniest thing is 83 day 1 collection is more than Gangubai... And i think 83 collected more than Gangubai but still people mock 83 and praise Gangu to sky 😆

no 83 made around 100cr domestic lifetime and Gangu made around 128cr..the budget for 83 was a lot higher as well..around 260cr

PD_forums thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: cougarTown

no 83 made around 100cr domestic lifetime and Gangu made around 128cr..the budget for 83 was a lot higher as well..around 260cr

I think 83 collected 150 crores but yes I agree 83 is called a flop because of its budget of 250+ crores. 

Though Gangu didnot collect as good as 83 or equal to 83, it is considered better movie over 83, unfortunately.

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Dont know why they needed a budget of 250 cr for 83..didnt look like they used so much.. and why r the makers ok to call it a flop inspite of decent collections. 

Gangubai was all hype