QueenofGreen thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 years ago

Not much longer now :)
QueenofGreen thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4

Prologue | Elaichi

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -Angela Schwind

For a week now, thunder had been prowling the streets that led to their house. Any possibility of rain, or expectation of storm had died down after the first few days; people quickly taking shine to the wonderful tropical heat.

At the Pethewala residence, the atmosphere was unnaturally bleak. The house had been terribly quiet since Mishri's bidai. Her five brothers were visibly upset by her departure and no one was in the mood to talk, or eat or even sleep. Even, little Samar was unhappy.

But perhaps, the most heartbroken person of the household was its matron. Elaichi missed both her daughters more than anything. Sweet, soft-spoken Avani and fun-loving, bubbly Mishri were the life of the household and now with both of them gone, their home felt unbearably empty.

Her attention was drawn outside at a sudden clatter.  She stood up from the bed, and peered out of the window.

"Finally," she sighed.  The first rain of the monsoon season. The rain pelting against her windows, summoned tears to her eyes. Memories of Avani and Mishri dancing in the rain, came flooding back.  With a heavy heart, Elaichi opened her doors, and sat quietly on the doorstep, watching the rain fall.

It was unnatural for the house to be so silent, especially when it was raining. The girls were usually onto the terrace, within minutes, but today, nobody was screaming up and down in the rain. There was no singing or dancing, or splashing about in the rain. For once, she didn't have to tell the girls to stop, or that they'd catch a cold. For once, Elaichi didn't have to scold them. There was no whining, or complaining neither was there any laughter and it made her heart ache with longing.

Shaking, she caught her tears on her saree.  It would take a while for all of them to get over this hollow empty feeling, but she hoped for all of their sakes, that it would be much sooner than later.

As if on cue, she heard a door unlatching upstairs. Then another. And another. One by one, the doors slowly opened on the second landing.

Sanjana was the first to splash into the rain.

"Sanjana, what are you doing? You're going to catch a cold." Ajay said crossly from the doorway of their bedroom.

"Don't be such a bore, Ajay! It's the first shower of the season." Sanjana yelled back. Her excitement to be caught in the downpour was infectious, and even sullen Ajay smiled slightly as his wife danced in the rain.

Utpal's wife, Vidya soon followed. Before long, Vinati and Vedika had joined in too. The girls were all laughing, and Shreya couldn't help herself either. The five of them held hands, and sang loudly, making their respective husband poke their heads out of the doorways in curiosity.

Watching them dance in the rain together, Elaichi smiled to herself. Despite their differences, her five daughter in-laws were all vivacious and pure at heart. Yes, there had been some early misunderstandings, but eventually things had fallen into place. With peace restored to their household, the Pethewala wives were slowly expanding upon their foundations, placing new roots while nurturing old relationships.

"I like to think of them as colours," her husband smiled from next to her.

Trilok had approached quietly, and had sat down next to his wife. "Each very different than the other. Each very beautiful alone, but together, they paint a vivid picture of unity."

Elaichi looked up at her husband, eyes twinkling, "I like to think of them as sweets."

"Sweets?" His brows narrowed in confusion.

"Yes, sweets."

"How do they remind you of sweets?"

"They just do." She shrugged, squeezing his hand.

"Apt," He grinned. "I suppose, we do run sweet shop after all."

He nudged her gently making her laugh, and the two of them sat together watching as their sons finally gave into their wives and joined them in the rain.  Their laughter bounced off of the walls, lighting up the previously quiet, disgruntled household.  

Amar and Bhushan were playing with Samar, while Vinati happily took photos. Shreya had rushed downstairs, volunteering to make them all hot masala tea and spicy pakoras to be enjoyed in the rainy weather. Ayyush, Utpal and Ajay were playing soccer in the rain, with Vedika cheering loudly for her younger brothers' in-law, much to her husband's annoyance. Vidya caught sight of Mama-ji and Mami-ji smiling at them from a distance, and beckoned for them to join the rest of the family on the roof.

They shook their heads gently, smiling at their youngest daughter in-law.  Vidya looked disappointed, then rushed over to whisper to Samar. Then their miniature Amar began to march towards his grandparents tenaciously.

"She's sending him to get us, isn't she?" Trilok laughed.

Elaichi nodded helplessly. "We're getting too old for this," she muttered, just as her sweet little grandson, poked his head into the doorway.

"Dadi-ma, aren't you going to come play with us?" He pouted adorably, knowing that no one could resist his charm.

She kissed him affectionately, on the cheek. "I think, I'm happy to watch today."

"Well, since, you weren't coming into the rain," They heard Sanjana say from out of nowhere, "I thought I'd bring the rain to you!"

Before, either of them knew what was happening, they were soaked to the skin.  Mischievous Sanjana had poured a bucket of cold water over them.

Trilok and Elaichi stared at each other in shock, while the rest of their family roared with laughter.

"Vinati, did you catch that on camera?" Elaichi's mother in-law asked cheekily from behind Amar and Bhushan.

"I sure did Dadi," Vinati grinned. "I'm uploading it as we speak."

"I'm not going to spare any of you today," Elaichi exclaimed, rushing into the rain after the girls, just as Shreya brought the tray of hot food upstairs.

Amidst the laughter and chatter, Elaichi realised later that if two of her daughters had left her - she had been blessed with five more, and they were the life of her household. 

With the five of them by her side, she would never need to worry about anything. 

Edited by Propinquity. - 8 years ago
moonlitnisha thumbnail
Nyc update yaar I thought You forgot Ur FF but its nice u Updated do continue Soon...When someone writes on Married AjNa i always love it.Awww when can we See AjNa as a normal Husband Wife wid all the tensions over...
smileeee thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Perfect! This is the word came to my mind after reading it, you have narrated so perfectly, with the home filled with emptiness on the departure of loving daughters 
& how it turned to be heaven with the laughter of five lovely sweet daughterinlaws. Loved it to the core. Thank you so much for this sweet & adorable story..  If possible, please do write more..

Loved these lines much.. 
With peace restored to their household, the Pethewala wives were slowly expanding upon their foundations, placing new roots while nurturing old relationships.
Their laughter bounced off of the walls, lighting up the previously quiet, disgruntled household.  

Amidst the laughter and chatter, Elaichi realised later that if two of her daughters had left her - she had been blessed with five more, and they were the life of her household. 
With the five of them by her side, she would never need to worry about anything. 

TianaWrites thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 5
Wonderful... 👏

Please update soon 😊
Preet.Kc thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I like the way you are have built up a new world. 
Can you please continue it.
Would like to read more 
Allyson thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 5
I love the concept of the this piece. I also love how you tell the story. I jhope to see more soon!
deejagi thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Lovely update. I just fumbled across and loved it. Please do continue. you have a very good command on the language. 😊