Teeth whitening treatment has become increasingly popular in recent years, thanks to modern lifestyle. But it is now possible to achieve one at home. Eating apple on daily basis and chewing gum is beneficial when it comes to maintaining white pearlies.
With Christmas and New Year approaching, everyone wants to look and feel their best. Keeping this in mind, Peta Leigh, a teeth whitening expert, offers tips for achieving a bright white smile, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
- Eat your way to whiter teeth: Foods that are firm or crisp are known to help clean teeth as they're eaten. Apples are considered to be 'nature's toothbrush' and are a great way of cleaning teeth on the go or at lunch time when you are at work and unable to brush your teeth. Other choices include raw carrots, celery, and popcorn.
- Get a calcium boost: This may come as a surprise to many but cheese is also known for helping to maintain healthy white teeth. Although very fattening, cheese speeds the neutralization of acid and remineralisation of enamel.
- Wash away the stains: Water is not only essential for overall wellbeing, it is also vital for great oral health. Water acts as a natural cleaner and has the power to wash away bacteria and residue left on the teeth after eating. So be sure to drink a glass of water after every meal.
- Neutralise acid: Chewing gum is also very beneficial when it comes to maintaining a white smile. Chewing gum helps to clean teeth mechanically by removing debris, and it stimulates production of saliva, which increases your saliva's ability to neutralise acid and remineralise your enamel. This ultimately strengthens teeth.
- Quit smoking: Lifestyle choices can also influence a natural white smile with smoking being one of the biggest causes of teeth decay and discolouration. The nicotine and tar in the cigarette result in teeth darkening, losing their natural white.
- The little extras: Flossing removes some of the staining between teeth, making your smile instantly look whiter. Try to floss several times a week as this will not only improve the health of your gums, you will also notice your smile looking brighter.
- See the light: Dark coloured foods are also notorious for causing discolouration in the naturally white teeth enamel. The best thing to do is try to avoid these foods and drinks such as coffee, balsamic vinegar and red wine, but if you do want to treat yourself, drink a glass of water after as this will help minimise staining.