Chicken soup for cynical soul (Upd:Page #11,07Dec)

-Sookie- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 13 years ago
Chicken soup for Cynical soul

A thread which will be updated frequently with very short one shots and vignettes.

Writing here is very much experimental and there is no fixed genre. Most entries would not cross a thousand words.

I would greatly appreciate if you can drop in a word or two about whichever story you read.

Index: 

01. Transmutation: Page #1    Aug 25, 2010
02. Transcience Page #2   Aug 26, 2010
03. Transduction Page #5 Aug 27, 2010
04. Transduce Page #7 Oct 26, 2010
05. Transpire Page #11 Dec 07, 2010
Edited by -Sookie- - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Sookie- thumbnail

Transmutation

His heart and mind engaged in a constant battle whenever she uttered those three words. The first time when he heard those words, they were alone in the privacy of his cabin. It had taken every ounce of control he had, not to let his jaw drop. To her credit it did render him speechless for minutes. Of course once he had recovered he had ranted and raved till he saw her expression fade to one that of embarrassment at which his speech had faltered. After a very short span of silence, he had continued conversation in a much normal tone and had even responded to her. Her parting glance had held a hint of smile and he had suddenly felt exhilarated.

He had ignored his mind when it had constantly jabbed and bitched about his changing ways. He promised to pull himself together and was determined not to repeat the feat.

But his master plan had gone down the drain when the incident repeated next time.

However the second time they were in middle of meeting. While his senior architect gave her a "Are you kidding?" look, a senior staff looked at her as if she had just signed a death warrant. But most people almost fell of their chairs or gasped or choked on their coffee or did something terribly unnatural when he had casually replied and she had dutifully listened. He could hear his mind cackling like a lunatic at his failure to withhold whatever he had practiced till date and he blatantly ignored that. The gossip that followed the incident had even reached his personal staff at his house which only made his mind even bitchier.

Had it been anyone else, he would have fired them for their audacity or stupidity with first available opportunity.

Had it been anyone else, they would have done everything in their power to avoid talking to him completely.

Had it been anyone else, they wouldn't have dared to utter those three words in the first place.

Keyword here being ' anyone.

But Geet Handa wasn't just anyone.

With her in the equation, the result generally became unpredictable and it drove him bonkers since with her he seemed to take decisions which were exactly opposite to what his mind advised.

And that made MSK's mind utter strings of profanities on a constant basis but his heart was constantly singing cheesy love songs and appreciated romantic little things.

His mind and heart battled relentlessly and he was torn between tearing his hair out and waxing love poems.

Third time is a charm, he decided. Third time I will do what MSK generally does. His mind said ' "Yeah right!" His heart secretly agreed with his mind.

The third time came, when she said those words ' "I don't know", to his surprise and secret elation, came in the privacy of his cabin.

He honestly wanted to react like he had promised himself he would if the situation arose. But something stopped him. His mind and heart cheered for him though they were on two different teams.

Her naive eyes, innocent expression, eagerness to hear his answer all rolled into one was one hell of a package which punched his gut and twisted his insides and basically mutated his personality.

He found himself answering her instead of behaving as he had promised he would. He could practically see his mind stomping its feet. He swallowed a sigh and mutely admitted his defeat.

He accepted that he couldn't deny whatever she asked of him.

He accepted that he couldn't bear to see her disappointed face or fallen expression.

He accepted that this was probably a lost cause and he might end up making a fool of himself in the process but didn't really care a damn.

His heart stuck its tongue out as his mind continued to sulk.

Sur_10 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
hey Sookie
thanks for the link
From the start I was looking for the 3 words- knowing you, it cant be what generally 3 words stand for (btw i assume them to be go to hell, or pay the bill and things like that)
simple and sober I would say
Language was pretty funny at the moments and the end was really cute...:D
great piece
Sur
Man! I really had my heart set on "Not right now" :) but "I don't know" is way more awesome...
-Sookie- thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sur_Singhania

hey Sookie
thanks for the link
From the start I was looking for the 3 words- knowing you, it cant be what generally 3 words stand for (btw i assume them to be go to hell, or pay the bill and things like that)
simple and sober I would say
Language was pretty funny at the moments and the end was really cute...:D
great piece
Sur

Thanks Sur... Pay The Bill? Seriously?? Wow!! That's original :D

-Sookie- thumbnail

Originally posted by: sridevi27

Man! I really had my heart set on "Not right now" :) but "I don't know" is way more awesome...

Not right now? Mann!!!! Geez, Lady D!

Yep, "I don't know" is much much better 😆

rivaanvira thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Sookie... very well written... I don't know you that well yet to have guessed your 3 words correctly...!!! As always, its a pleasure reading ur OSs...
-Sookie- thumbnail

Originally posted by: sanam912

Sookie... very well written... I don't know you that well yet to have guessed your 3 words correctly...!!! As always, its a pleasure reading ur OSs...

Hello!  Thanks for stopping by... :-) Its alright... all in good time..
Amongthestars89 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
reserved!!!

will read it again when I'm more awake!🥱

edited part

just absolutely loved it Sookie! 😆
Edited by Zee89-Maneetfan - 13 years ago
-Sookie- thumbnail
Transience

She watched him in mild amusement as he tried balancing coffee mug and cell phone in his left hand as he tried to take out the paper jammed inside the paper tray of the printer.  The continuous beep and glaring red light made him lose his temporary calm and let out a string of expletives. Her eyebrows creased at his choice of words.

"What did you just say?" She asked him curiously.

"I didn't say anything. I cursed", he replied with nonchalance.

"What did you curse?" She asked further.

"I said - damn it all to hell", he replied with much venom and continued his struggle with jammed paper.

"No after that", she pressed.

"I guess I said - bloody damned printer", he answered pulling jammed paper successfully.

"No, you said fu..", she continued but he stopped her mid-sentence, his eyes widened like saucers.

"Stop! What the hell do you think you are saying?" He fumed.

"What you just said", she replied quite calmly. She didn't understand why he was losing his cool. She was only asking meaning to an English word which she had heard people say a lot but she never got the chance to pull out a dictionary and check its meaning, or Google it for that matter. She didn't know how to spell it correctly either. He was the best choice in matters like these as he always helped her about things she didn't know after thoroughly mocking her, of course.

"Why?" He continued to glare at her.

"I want to know what it means. Can you tell me the meaning?" She asked him frankly.

At which he promptly dropped his coffee cup.

She cleaned up the mess he had made while he continued to glare in general direction and refused to meet her eye.

"What is the big deal about it?" She finally asked after she had finished cleaning.

"It's a curse word Geet. And it's a word that one has to avoid in a civilized conversation."

"Tell me."

"Over my dead body."

"Please?"

"Hell no. Go Google it or something."

"Alright."

"Are you serious?" He stared at her.

"Of course. I will see you in a bit", she closed the conversation and walked to her room.

He could only rub his temple in sheer annoyance and wondered what was going to happen once she quenched her thirst for curse words. She was back in his cabin in less than five minutes a pale blush covering her cheeks.

"It is not a nice word", she said slowly.

"Of course it's not. It's a swear word Geet, what did you expect?" He said not looking her. It was awkward.

"Half the websites were blocked by our office network since they were those kinds of websites." She replied urgently.

"What are those kinds of websites?" He knew what she was saying but only wanted to tease her further. Blushing Geet was an amazing sight, he decided.

"You know the ones that have those kinds of pictures?" He grinned at her.

"Say the exact word Geet, I know you know it", he further taunted her.

She vigorously shook her head.

"Fearing the name only increases the fear of the thing itself", he preached philosophically.

"Wait, that's not original. Where have I heard this line before?" She finally answered.

"Whatever. Answer my question Geet." He prodded. He was finally relaxed after his huge battle with the printer and a speechless Geet was just an added bonus.

"It's a type of movie which men watch at night without telling their family. And I am told that they do it when their wives are out of town", she replied quite innocently.

He burst out laughing, an act which was a rarity in itself. She only watched him curiously drinking in the sight of MSK laughing without malice or profit behind it. Once he caught his breath he tried to formulate a response but only managed to chuckle.

And then she regained her senses.

"How can you say those things? The meaning is so bad that I cannot even think about it!" She exclaimed and launched into a lecture of how nice guys should not say bad words and other blah.

He only continued to stare at the woman in front of him whose face had tinges of residual blush from previous conversation and was animatedly moving her hands and preaching him about good guys.

All was good in his world.