FanFic- El Turista UPD Ch.1/P.2

Misfit_ thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Hi! This was part of a story I'd begun writing last year, with no particular characters in mind. I think Maneet would be perfect for the plot line. This is just the prologue, and does not have Geet's entry yet. Let me know what you think.

Prologue- The Final Kill

In the dark closet, he had awaited the precise moment. Hours had gone by since his to-be victim stepped into the lavish hotel room. It didn't matter to the man; if there was one thing he'd learned from his job, it was patience. No job could be rushed, none could be leisured, and precision was everything. And because he knew that, and because he was good at that, he was chosen to be here. It would be his last big job. His boss had made it amply clear to him. Over the years, the man had acquired many skills; skills that made him less useful as an assassin and more as a tourist. Though his boss never sugarcoated anything, the man wasn't an idiot, and understood the hidden message behind his apparent promotion. He was no longer the 20-something assassin, with rage running through his blood. He was a skilled killer, yes, as he always would be. But he was slowing down. And the man and his boss both knew that a slow assassin was a dead assassin.

He noiselessly affixed the suppressor to the barrel of his gun, admiring the weapon as though if it were a piece of art. Then suddenly he pressed the cold metal object to his temple, tempted momentarily to pull the trigger. Taking a deep breath, he brought the gun down and chuckled cynically. He knew that there was a bullet with his name on it somewhere. Just not in this gun, not tonight, not like this.

He tensed upon hearing a slight stirring from the bed. The target and his unfortunate companion had long slumbered, and the man now feared he'd waited too long. Making up his mind, he crept out of the closet, and stood at the edge of the bed. He looked down at the two sleeping figures: the man, Mr. Moreaux, a 54-year-old French diplomat, and his lover, a much younger woman, no, girl. He fleetingly wondered if she was even of age. She had certainly performed like she was, as he disinterestedly recalled. Nevertheless, her death was certain the moment she stepped into the room with Moreaux. He mulled over who would go first. Not that it mattered much. Finally, he pointed the barrel at the female, the slight clanking of metal and propelled air waking her companion. The woman died instantly, he made sure of it. Moreaux now looked at him with horror struck eyes, too stunned to react. The man indifferently pointed the gun at his head.

"Oh! Mon Dieu" barely a whisper sprang from the Frenchman's lips. The killer's mouth twisted into a disdainful smile. Why was it that people only remembered God while facing impending death? What was it that was so frightening about death, about what lay beyond that made them cry out for an ambiguous savior?

"Votre temps est venu" the killer responded softly, as though soothing a child. Then he shot him right through the head.

Giving the room a once over, the man turned around. Another job well done. His boss would be pleased. He'd never let down The Company before. He couldn't. His job was all he lived for. The sacrifices he'd made, the risks he'd taken, the sins he'd committed were far too great.
Pulling his hood over his head, he stalked out of the hotel room, down the hall, up the flight of stairs to his own room. Tomorrow he'd take a flight to London, leaving in his wake a foreign affairs disaster. A French diplomat murdered in Dubai, while mediating a peacekeeping summit. That was sure to shift the world's focus for a while. The Company needed just that.

Gulping down a stiff drink, and then another, he checked the messages on his phone, not surprised to find only one, from this boss. The man wondered if it was the alcohol taking effect when he detected the slightest bit of apprehension in his boss' voice. "Maan'We need you in Madrid tomorrow morning. Get some sleep. You're going to need it." Maan. smiled as he heard his boss refer to his newest alias. Over the years he'd had many: Ranveer Singh, Saahil Basant, and now it was Maan Singh Khurana. He'd picked it out himself, despite his boss' warning that it was too close for comfort. Nothing was too close for comfort for his man.

Maan didn't give much thought to the vague message on his phone. Instead, he swallowed a couple of morphine tablets, and sat on the sofa until the medication started showing its effect and he drifted off into an unperturbed sleep.

For years he'd disciplined himself to rise before dawn, and today was no different. It didn't matter that merely three hours earlier, he'd assassinated someone. It didn't matter that the slight throbbing he'd experienced the night before had resulted into a full-blown migrane. It didn't matter that his body was begging him to slow down. His wants were never a part of the equation, his job was to keep going, and he would until the Company willed him to stop.

Maan finally left the hotel just as the earliest rays of the sun began appearing on the horizon. He was to take a plane from Dubai to Egypt spend a weekend there, and then a ferry would take him to his new destination: Madrid. This shuffle was a common ploy used by the Company to make their tourists as invisible as possible. Tourists, of course, were the eyes and ears for The Company; those agents who did not participate in hits or any active jobs with the Company. Instead these men and women spent weeks, months, even years infiltrating a potential site, relaying valuable information that would give The Company an edge when confronting the enemy. A new chapter in Maan's life, as a tourist, began today.

Edited by Misfit_ - 13 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sonali92 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
very very intresting story....i can't wait for geets entry...thx
JanuaryEmbers thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
very very intriguing! I want to read more!👏
Tressa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
hey thats really nice... Please continue soon... I wud love to know how ur story proceeds further.. looking forward to ur nex part...
Please pm me when u update nex... thanks..
Anjali-K thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Interesting concept, do continue soon.
Yazzi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
sounds really interesting, do continue 😊
.sireesha. thumbnail
Very Interesting
pls continue soon
..Naina.. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
wow! great start...amazing writing :) please do continue soon! can't wait for geet's entry!

~Naina
anufa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
very interestinG!!!!

looking forward to read more!!!!

update sooN!!!!

n add me to ur pm list!!!!
Misfit_ thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sorry for the hold up, I decided to rework the plot, and had to re-write the story. Here's Chapter 1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1-

Slamming her bedroom door shut, Geet threw herself on her bed, burying her face into the pillow. And then she screamed. The muffled sound was strangely calming to her frazzled state of mind. Geet Handa turned 18 today and she was forbidden from attending her own birthday party. This was the last straw, she decided. Geet couldn't handle much more of this. All of her 18 years had been divided into 'dos' and 'don'ts'. Mostly 'don'ts'. Don't stay out after dark. Don't talk to strangers. Don't make too many friends. Don't tell anyone too much about your life. And after the accident: Don't tell anyone anything about your life. Come to think of it, her life had ended with the accident. To her, figuratively, and to the world, literally.

That last bit of information had come as a shock to her three years ago, when Geet, rummaging through the attic had come across a tattered newspaper clipping. The headline read: 'Bizarre highway pileup leave family of four killed, several injured.' Seeing herself and her grandmother listed as one of the deceased confused her. When she'd asked her grandmother about it, she'd received a stern reprimand for digging through useless junk, and a command to never bring up the subject again. At the time, Geet assumed that the clipping had unlocked painful memories for her grandmother—after all losing her husband and her daughter at once had been difficult on her, to say to least.

Geet heard steady footsteps, coming up the hallway and stopping on the other side of her door. She knew it was the very woman who'd occupied her last thought, and the bane of her existence at the moment. Quickly shutting off the lamp, Geet pretended to sleep. As much as she loved her grandmother, Geet tended to say some very stupid and spiteful things when angry (a Handa speciality, her grandmother pointed out sarcastically), and right now Geet was very, very angry. A soft knock was followed by the turning of her doorknob. Moments later, Geet felt her grandmother's soothing hand caressing the top of her head; it reminded her of the days after the accident, when Geet's nightmares kept her awake, and only her grandmother's caresses did she find comfort, and sleep. Before she knew it, Geet was lulled into a deep slumber.

Hours later, Geet woke up to get a drink. Padding downstairs silently, she made her way to the kitchen, but was stopped when she heard her grandmother's strained quiet voice. The house was dark, and otherwise silent, so Geet quiet followed the sound of the voice, which led her to the den.

"She's 18 now, for goodness sake! How long do you think I can keep controlling her?" tension gripped her grandmother's voice. "Lawfully, she does not have to listen to me. I cannot keep her in the dark much longer"

Moments of silence followed, wherein Geet realized she was the subject of conversation.

"No..no! She must know the truth. In efforts to keep her safe, I'm losing her in other ways! Why don't you understan-?"

The person on the other side interrupted her grandmother, and she sighed. A long, resigned sigh.

"Very well. But remember, you MUST make your way down here as soon as possible. You have to tell her. It is your secret as much as it is hers"

Geet silently made her way back, her parched throat long forgotten. For several moments, she was unable to formulate a complete thought. Why was Nani so distressed? What secret was she a part of? Who or what was she being kept safe from? But most importantly, who was on the other side of the phone line.

She couldn't ask Nani outright. No, she'd tried the straightforward approach once, and that had been a disaster. As she mulled over her next plan of action, one thing became apparent: Geet needed to brace herself for some ugly skeletons in the closet.

Madrid, Spain

Maan slipped discreetly into the undistinguished apartment that was assigned to him. Immediately sensing something amiss, he put his back against the wall, pulling out his handgun, holding it close to his chest. Stealthily, he made his way to the living room, ready to attack the perpetrator. He almost let out a laugh when his boss held up his hands, in surrender, both cupping glasses of scotch. It was his boss' grim smile that stopped him. Something was, in fact, amiss.

"You gonna come get this drink or just stand there playing cops and robbers?" Maan detected a slight edge to his voice.

"I'll take the drink. Looks like I'm gonna need it" Maan replied, pointedly.

Maan observed quietly as his boss, Ranveer Singh, struggled to gather his thoughts. He's rarely seen him like this. Ranveer was nothing if not direct, and concise with this thoughts and actions. Under the pale yellow light, Maan finally saw this man. He'd been working under him for more than a decade now, and never had he seen him look so…beaten. Wisps of grey hair marked his usually sleek dark hair. The lines around his eyes and mouth were a lot more pronounced. But his eyes, the usually sharp, commanding eyes, they were…lost.

"You must be wondering…why you're here...instead of London" Ranveer said quietly.

"I never question the company" Maan interjected.

Ranveer merely nodded. "I took you off the London assignment."

Maan froze. As far as he was concerned, Ranveer was the company, but something about this didn't add up.

"Do you ever think of Sameera?" Ranveer now questioned.

Maan's eyes shot up. What in the world…

"She's hard to forget, huh?" he continued. When Maan didn't respond, Ranveer leaned back in his chair and sighed. "I had one, too" he said finally. "I had a Sameera in my life. At some point, we all do."

Sameera. Maan had almost convinced himself he'd forgotten all about her. Almost.

"All the running, killing…all the sins we commit…we're not supposed to think of all of that...but there are days…and in those moments when we're dying to feel human…dying to feel anything, even…a Sameera walks into our lives…and what more are we, than a moth to a flame?"

Maan's jaw tightened. This was going to be a long night.