Ramayan

sugreev bali tara ruma ------ story

Shruti11 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
SUGREEVA

Other names- Sugriv, Sugreev

In Hindu mythology, Sugriva Sanskrit  also spelled Sugreeva. Sugreeva was born as a fragment of Surya (the Sun God).And he was the grand son of Bhrahma

After there mother death, Bali and Sugreev lived amicably together like brothers. Baliwas married to Tara and Sugreev to Roma.Balibecame the king of Vanara or monkeys and his capital was Kishkindha. Sugreev lived respectfully doing his brother's bidding. Hanuman was a minister and dear friend of Sugreev. One day a danava named Durmad challenged Bali to a fight. Bali was angry and gave him such a blow that he fell down in a swoon. Then he ran and hid in a cave in the hills. Bali ran after him, with Sugreev in tow. Bali was about to enter the cave when he told Sugreeva, "If I do not come out from here within a month, consider me dead." After a month a stream of blood flowed out of the cave. Sugreev thought that Balihad been killed. To prevent the demon from escaping, he shut the mouth of the cave with a huge cliff and returned to Kishkindha. The monkeys declared him to be the new king and coronated him.

But
Bali had not been killed. He killed Dhrupad and tried to come out of the cave but he found the entrance blocked. He was filled with rage. Somehow he managed to remove the rock and returned to Kishkindha. When he saw Sugreev seated on the throne, his anger knew no bounds. He leapt to attack Sugreev. But Sugreev took to his heels. He ran all over, but Bali was close at heel. Sugreeva got weary of running when Hanuman suggested a way out. Bali could not go to Rishyamukha Mountain, the abode of Matanga Rishis, because of a curse placed on him. Therefore Sugreev could find a safe place to stay there. Sugreev and his followers began to stay on Rishyamukha Mountain
. Hanuman, Jambvant, Nal, Neel were with him.

One day Hanuman was sitting on Rishyamukha Mountain with his companions. Just then Ravan was carrying Sita away in his chariot via the aerial route. Sita was crying bitterly and calling out. The five monkeys seated on the Mountaintop were visible to her. So she threw some of her jewels down to them. Sugreeva kept them safe with him.

When Ram and Lakshman came there in search of Sita, they went to the ashram of sage Matanga. They met Shabari who advised them to meet Sugreev. Hence Ram went to Rishyamukha Mountain with Lakshman. Sugreev saw them coming from afar. He wondered if they were spies sent by his estranged brother Bali. So he sent Hanuman to them to find out. Hanuman took the guise of a Brahmin and spoke to them. After he knew who they were, Hanuman introduced Ram and Lakshman to Sugreev, who showed them the jewels thrown down by Sita. Ram recognized them as hers. Sugreev offered to help Ram in his search for Sita. But he said, I have to stay hidden here for fear of my brother. He narrated all the events leading to the animosity between the two brothers. Ram heard his tale and offered to kill
Bali and get Roma, Sugreeva's wife who had been taken away by Bali

Sugreev said that to be able to kill
Bali
there are some tasks you must be able to complete. First is lifting the carcass of Dundubhi demon and the second is piercing seven saal trees with a single arrow. Shri Ram lifted the skeleton of Dundubhi with ease, using just the big toe of his foot and threw it into the sea. Then with one sharp arrow, he pierced the seven-saal trees at one. So, Sugreev was assured of Rama's prowess.

Sugreev and Ram pledged their friendship with fire as their witness. Ram said, "Now you challenge Bali to a wrestling match and I will kill him." Sugreeva called
Bali to fight and the two were engaged in a battle between equals. Hurt by Bali, Sugreev fell near Ram. Now Ram said, both of you look so alike, I cannot tell you apart. How could I aim my arrow? So Ram put a garland of flowers around Sugreeva to identify him. Now Sugreev fought Bali again. Rama aimed an arrow at Bali's while concealed behind a tree. Bali
fell down unconscious.

Bali asked Ram "Why have you killed me when I have not done you any harm?" Ram said "Sugreeva is your younger brother and his wife should have been treated like a daughter by you. But due to your animosity, you have taken her away and kept her as your wife it is because of this grave sin and my friendship with Sugreeva that I have killed you."
Bali
asked for forgiveness. He placed his wife Tara and son Angad in Rama's care, then respectfully bowing to Rama's feet, he breathed his last.

Ram made Sugreev the King of Kishkindha and
Bali
son Angad was declared Yuvaraj (prince designate). Sugreev lived happily with his wife Roma and Tara who was also with him. Sugreev gathered monkeys from all over and sent them out to search for Sita in all directions. Under Angad's leadership the team headed for the South including Hanuman and Jambvant. Hanuman leapt over the ocean and searched for Sita and set Lanka on fire. Under Sugreev command, Nal-Neel made a huge bridge across the ocean and Shri Ram with his entire army crossed over to Lanka.

Ravan was being entertained with song and dance in the evening when Sugreev reached him
in one leap and stood before him. He pushed Ravan off his throne, kicked and boxed him and returned to the camp.

The battle between Ram and Ravan began. When Sugreev led the army and killed the son of Kumbhakarn, named Kumbh Mahodar and Virupaksh were also killed by him. In the end Ravan was killed by Ram. Sugreev maintained his friendship with Ram and proved to be a true, reliable ally.

Sugreev end his life with Ram and The story of Sugreev is part of the Ramayan and, in an abbreviated version, can also be found in the Mahabharata.

Edited by akhl - 15 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shruti11 thumbnail
BALI

Other names- Balee

Bali, the king of monkeys, was the elder brother of Sugreev. He was a son of Indra who had given him a celestial necklace. It was a necklace with special properties for, after wearing it, if Bali battled with anyone, half the strength of his opponent would be transferred to him. Hence Bali became invincible as his opponents lost half their power and energy as soon as they faced him in a fight. He had never lost a fight or battle. Bali wife was Tara and his son was Angad, who became a favorite of Shri Ram. The capital of Bali's kingdom was Kishkinda.

When Ravan heard the tales of Bali immense prowess, Ravan once came to challenge him to battle. At that time Bali was busy with his Sandhyavadan (evening prayers). Without moving from his sitting posture, Bali caught hold of Ravan and tucked him under his armpit and continued with his prayers. Later, Bali forgot about Ravan, who stayed tucked in Bali armpit for six months. Disgusted with the odor of sweat in the armpit, Ravan bit Bali hard. Bali thought it was a body louse that had bit him and raised his hand to scratch his armpit. As soon as he raised his arm, Ravan jumped off and began to run away but Bali caught hold of him and gave him to his son Angad to play with, as a toy. Finally Bali's wife Tara, felt sorry for Ravan and let him go. In the end Ravan befriended Bali.

Once the demon named Dundubhi took the form of a wild buffalo and arrived at Kishkinda, challenging Bali to fight him. Bali caught hold of his two horns and swung him around in circles. Then he hurled him away with such strength that he fell far away on the Rishyamukha mountain at the hermitage of Rishi Matanga and died there. Some drops of his blood splattered on Rishi Matanga. Enraged to be thus defiled, he cursed Bali, "If you ever approach the boundary of my ashram on the Rishyamukha Mountain, you will die instantly." From then on, fearing the curse, Bali did not go near the Rishyamukha Mountain.

Once Durmad, the son of the demon Maya, arrived at Bali's door, drunk by the disillusioning power of his own strength. He yelled and shouted for Bali to fight him. Bali gave him one blow and sent him running off with fear. Bali and his brother Sugreev followed him to finish the fight but the demon ran into a cave. Bali too was about to follow him but before he did so, he declared to Sugreev "If I do not come out of the cave by the end of one month, consider that I have been killed at the hands of Durmad." Bali then ran into the dark cave.

One month passed and instead of Bali, Sugreev saw a stream of blood flowing out of the cave. Sugreev thought Bali had been killed so he placed a huge rock across the mouth of the cave so that Durmad would be locked in. Then he returned to Kishkinda. The monkey clan persuaded him to take the place of his brother and much against his will he was crowned King of Kishkinda.

Meanwhile Bali had killed Durmad but when he tried to come out of the cave, he found the exit blocked. Somehow he managed to move it and reached Kishkinda. When he saw Sugreev seated on the throne, his anger knew no bounds and he lunged at Sugreev to kill him. Sugreev took to his heels and ran for his life. But wherever in the world he ran, Bali was just behind him. It was Hanuman who suggested a safe spot, the Rishyamukha Mountain, where Bali would not come for fear of death. Sugreev took his vanar (monkey) followers and began to live on Rishyamukha Mountain.

When Sugreev narrated the tale of his rivalry with Bali to Ram.

Ram said, "I will kill Bali and rescue your wife Rumba." Bali had kidnapped and taken away Sugreeva's wife by force. Ram told Sugreev to challenge Bali to a duel. "While you are fighting, I will kill Bali", said Ram. At the first duel, Ram could not distinguish between Bali and Sugreev, as they looked so similar in appearance and form. To tell them apart, Ram put a garland of flowers around Sugreev neck and asked him to resume the fight with Bali.

Bali  wife Tara cautioned him against the duel but he did not pay any heed and attacked Sugreev. Ram took aim and hit Bali on his back with a sharp arrow that felled him with a fatal blow. Bali cursed Ram at first but Ram said that helping a friend was his duty. Moreover Bali had taken away Sugreev wife by force, although the wife of a younger brother should be treated like a daughter.

Bali apologized for his mistake and placed his son Angad in Rama's care. Ram promised to protect and care for Tara and Angad. On Bali's death, Sugreev was made king of Kishkinda and Angad was declared as the Yuvraj, the prince designate and heir apparent.

Bali breathed his last at Ram feet and found peace in death.

It is said that Bali was reborn as the hunter Jara and avenged his death by killing Lord Krishna with an arrow in the Dwapara Yuga.

Edited by shruti_gauri1 - 15 years ago
Shruti11 thumbnail

Tara Ruma

Tara and Ruma was real sister .Tara was married to Bali and Ruma to Sugreev

Tara was the wife of  Bali, the valorous chief of the Vanaras. In one of the campaigns Bali was absent for a long time and was supposed to be dead. His brother Sugreev married Tara as per the custom of their clan. But when Bali returned, Tara switched back her loyalty to Bali. Bali also took Ruma, Sugreev wife Ruma in vengeance, after defeating him. Tara try to save Ruma from Bali but Bali did not listen to her In the famous incident of Bali-Sugreeva combat Bali finally was killed by Ram. Before that, Tara had pressed Bali to return Ruma back to Bali and not to kill Sugreev. Bali agreed finally to her wish, that he would only defeat and not kill his brother.

Tara was courageous and present at the battle field where the brothers fought. She rebuked the monkeys, who started fleeing after Bali's fall and rallied forth. During his last moment Bali advised Sugreeva to consult Tara on all important occasions. "Tara's advice never goes without effect", he said. After Bali's death, Tara requested Ram to send her to her husband's place with the same arrow which killed him. Ram consoled her and said, "Wives of heroes never sink into despair."

She now became queen of Sugreev again. Forgetting his promise to help Rama in his search of Sita, King Sugreev indulged in all types of pleasures, for a prolonged period. This apathy annoyed Ram and he expressed his displeasure to Laksman. In great anger, Laksman rushed to Kishkindha, to remind Sugreev of his broken promise. Sugreev engaged in orgies and quite tipsy when news reached him that Lakshman had arrived as Ram emissary and in full anger. He was frightened and in no position to face him feeling guilty. He could think only of Tara to get over the humiliating situation. He sent her to face the fretting and fuming Lakshman.

Tara rose to the occasion. She came out to receive Lakshman gracefully and with kind and polished words she was able to convince that her husband had not forgotten his promise. The conversation between Lakshman and Tara forms an interesting event in Ramayan. She told him that Sugreev was not ungrateful. Neither was he cunning or heartless. Having suffered untold miseries for a long time, he was now absorbed in small pleasures. It behooved noble Ram to forgive bodily weaknesses. She told about the steps her husband had taken to mobilize his army to assist Ram in fighting Ravan. She discreetly suggested that wily Ravan was also in need of Sugreev help. She reminded that even a great Sage like (Viswamitra) engaged in bodily pleasures and temporarily forgot his duties. She tried to convince Lakshman that seeing his furious mood, the wives Sugreev will be terribly upset and reminded again of the gory incident from which they had just come out.

Lakshman cooled down. Now Tara went and briefed Sugreev to be prepared to receive Lakshman courteously and talk tactfully. She herself led Lakshman to Sugreeva and everything ended on a happy note. He actually apologized for the harsh language used in condemning Sugreeva over a broken promise. In the age when women were supposed to have lost all individuality, Tara stands out for independent views and tactful behavior. Both her husbands were convinced about her ability and relied on her

When Ram Sita and Lakshman was returning to Ayodhya they Stop at Kishkindha where Sita made specific request to both Tara and Ruma to acompany her to Ayodhya.with Sugreev agreement ram ji approved the request Tara and Ruma was pleased to go to Ayodhya .it was clear that Sita ji want women comanionship among so many men and consider Tara and Ruma as her frnd

Tara is one of the panch kanya

Edited by shruti_gauri1 - 15 years ago
_rajnish_ thumbnail
Thanks a lot shruti 👏 👏
really interesting to know all these things 😛

i hate bali couz he was sooooooo lusty 😡

yah tara was very wise 😊

controlling lakhsman was like controlling mighty sheshnad
only tara could control him being very wise

sugreev was a true devote of shri ram he ones refused a grand offer made by ravan to leave ram

ravan was sent by rishi matang himself to bali. it was planned by parsuram to break his mith that he is most powerful man.

thanks shruti, love ur post    👏 👏 Edited by rajnish_here - 15 years ago
Shruti11 thumbnail
Originally posted by: rajnish_here

Thanks a lot shruti 👏 👏
really interesting to know all these things 😛

i hate bali couz he was sooooooo lusty 😡

yah tara was very wise 😊

controlling lakhsman was like controlling mighty sheshnad
only tara could control him being very wise

sugreev was a true devote of shri ram he ones refused a grand offer made by ravan to leave ram

ravan was sent by rishi matang himself to bali. it was planned by parsuram to break his mith that he is most powerful man.

thanks shruti, love ur post    👏 👏

ur welecome rajnish gr8 to know u like this post
Shruti11 thumbnail
Originally posted by: ektay11

thank u shruti di 😛

ur welecome ekta
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thanks a bunch shruti !!! 😛

really a long story !!!
😛
wud reply after reading it !!! 😛 Edited by sita11 - 15 years ago
Shruti11 thumbnail
Originally posted by: sita11

thanks a bunch shruti !!! 😛

really a long story !!!
😛
wud reply after reading it !!! 😛

ya di actually i add all the our characters together
Shruti11 thumbnail
if u all want i can seprate my post
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
no shruti it is great tht way only ,don't separate it.

i am confused at this point tht in the show,sagars showed tht while fighting wid mayavi rakshas in the cave,sugreev saw tht blood coming out & thought bali was dead,but who was this durmud monster???

durmud & mayavi were same ????

thanks for telling the story of matang rishi curse to bali !!! & dundubhi story !!!