Posted: 18 years ago

What do you think of abortion? One thing is very clear, that abortion is not contraception. The baby has already started breathing in mother's womb. Is it okay to remove it then? Where do you stand on this issue? Why? Let's see how many people feel it should be illegal and how many feel that it should be legal and under what circumstances.

I definitely think that it's wrong. It should be illegal in all countries. And I have a lot of reasons to have this opinion established.

As I already said, it's not contraception. It's a normal living life at this stage when abortion is needed. These days we have all sorts of contraceptive (birth control) methods then why abortion? Why?

Abortion is murder. You are killing a life that lives within you. So it is a murder and we have extreme punishments for murders like death penalty or life in jail but the punishment to abortions should be even harder as you kill the life that has not even come to this world. That has never decided for himself/herself. Why should abortion be legal? I don't find any reasons for that in this case.

"Bache Allah ki rehmat ban kar aate hain" in Urdu.

"Bache Bhagwan ka roop hote hain" in Hindi.

If both of these sayings are true then it's religiously wrong too. And deserve very very strict punishment. It should be illegal.

As I already said, abortion is killing a part of yourself, an already happily living baby in your body.

I can understand that in circumstances of rape, it means something else. Maybe those women "have" to do it but still they feel guilty afterwards. I personally would NEVER do it under any circumstances.

I think it definitely should be illegal until unless under some circumstances already listed above.

After a reserachers spent a lot of time , trying to find out whether the fetus feels pain during abortion or not it was proved that till the 8th month , the fetus feels no pain !!!

And its a woman's body and her choice to make a decision over this matter . You can impose a baby on a mother , but you can't impose motherhood . And who are we to decide whether what they do is wrong or right under any circumastance . You can speak for a woman raped only if you have been in her shoes , or a woman who has no means of supporting a baby , and has accidentaly got pregnant , or a woman who was cheated in a relationship and since the baby is out of wedlock and a taboo in her society ahe has to go through an abortion , so as not get stonned to death as is done to such women in many socities . So who are we to make judgements on these women ??????
And in a country like india where the population is already exploding , and a large percentage of the population live under povety level , how foolish would it be if abortion was illegal.

( Infact this topic has been discussed before , check out the archives for more info )
Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago
Sorry about that I didn't know that! But I am not making desicions on anyone's behalf I am only telling about my beliefs. If you can't afford the baby or anything then you shoud avoid being pregnant on the first place. I am not accusing anybody but even though the fetus can't feel pain it's sitll alive. It's still breathing. And killing something alive is a crime.
Originally posted by naina_manam

Sorry about that I didn't know that! But I am not making desicions on anyone's behalf I am only telling about my beliefs. If you can't afford the baby or anything then you shoud avoid being pregnant on the first place. I am not accusing anybody but even though the fetus can't feel pain it's sitll alive. It's still breathing. And killing something alive is a crime.

hey Naina nothing to be sorry about . I feel as strongly about womens right to choose whether to be pg or abort as you are about making it illegal .

And you are right women should avoid getting pregnant , but its illeteracy that makes them take risks and if one does accidentaly get pregnant

But a woman can't pay with it by suffering all her life and most important by making the poor child suffer by being a terrible parent . A woman has no right to keep the child if the woman is not a fit parent !!!! You all the time read the paper and see how the woman ( in the U.S) left an infant with the babies older sibling who didn't know how to handle a crying infant and shook the baby and broke his neck and the mother was knocked up on cocaine or she leaves her baby with her boyfriend who then suffocates the baby to stop him from crying . In such cases it would have been better that she aborted her baby than be a dreadfull mom !!!!

About the fetus being a life , the fetus doesnot have a heart beat untill the end of first trimester !! So  even the issue of murdering  is not there . BUT i agree its wrong to see a woman taking  a decision to abort in her second trimester, anyways its dangerous for a woman too do so in that stage . So if she is doing it , its hopefully because of serious medical complications .
Originally posted by indygirl

About the fetus being a life , the fetus doesnot have a heart beat untill the end of first trimester !! So  even the issue of murdering  is not there . BUT i agree its wrong to see a woman taking  a decision to abort in her second trimester, anyways its dangerous for a woman too do so in that stage . So if she is doing it , its hopefully because of serious medical complications .

this topic has been discussed before and i have given my opinion then so wouldn't add anything to that.

indygirl, i just wanted to correct the highlighted portion. when the foetus is 3 weeks, the heart begins to form and at 4 weeks heart is beating. at your first checkup at 4 weeks you can see the heart beating. at 8 weeks its human organs and entire nervous system functions normally. at 12 weeks the brain is fully formed and it's a proven fact that the foetus can feel pain now. actually it's now said that foetus can feel pain at 8 weeks.
Originally posted by bluepink

this topic has been discussed before and i have given my opinion then so wouldn't add anything to that.

indygirl, i just wanted to correct the highlighted portion. when the foetus is 3 weeks, the heart begins to form and at 4 weeks heart is beating. at your first checkup at 4 weeks you can see the heart beating. at 8 weeks its human organs and entire nervous system functions normally. at 12 weeks the brain is fully formed and it's a proven fact that the foetus can feel pain now. actually it's now said that foetus can feel pain at 8 weeks.

I am reffering to a very recent newspaper article that came in" Indianapolis star " where scientist prove that fetus feels no pain till 8th mth . Incase you'd like to read that article let me know , i'll trace it back !!

here's the link to the article :
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2005082 4/NEWS06/508240498&SearchID=73221033880144
indygirl, i wrote in reply to your statement (quoting you) About the fetus being a life , the fetus doesnot have a heart beat untill the end of first trimester.

heat beats at 4 weeks and first trimester ends at 12 weeks. i have seen it and doctors, nurses and millions of other pregnant women have seen it too.

other than that i don't want to add anything because i have written what i feel under the same topic discussed few months back on this forum.
Blue pink my response is to your statement "actually it's now said that foetus can feel pain at 8 weeks" I was correcting that point . read the above response and link to know you may not be accurate!!

yes i admit, that a fetus gets a heart beat in 4 weeks. That was a mistake on my part. What i meant to say was " that a fetus is not a person yet  But Does life begin at conception? Obviously not. The sperm and egg cells are alive before conception. Life began on this planet about 3 billion years ago and has continued to evolve in an unbroken chain since then. A woman is born with all the egg cells she will have her whole life. Therefore one of the two cells I came from dates back to my mother's birth in 1949. I guess I'm older than I thought.

Now that cloning technology exists, almost any cell can be grown into a potential life. That undermines the argument that a cell is a person. I stick with the legal definition which is that you become a person when you are born alive.

Also you mentioned that the embryo has a fully formed brain .But measurable brainwaves (a minimal standard for thought or consciousness which even animals possess, much less personhood which suggests an even higher standard) do not even exist until after 25 weeks. Incase you want my source i'll let you have the link !! I don't need to see it in pregnant women , nurses etc ..........i I prefer going with scientfic proof !!!

And looks like you and i have something else to disagree on again !!😆
And in case you don't want to add anymore to this , no body is making you . I was correcting the facts , just like you were !!😊
Originally posted by indygirl

Blue pink my response is to your statement "actually it's now said that foetus can feel pain at 8 weeks" I was correcting that point . read the above response and link to know you may not be accurate!!

yes i admit, that a fetus gets a heart beat in 4 weeks. That was a mistake on my part. What i meant to say was " that a fetus is not a person yet  But Does life begin at conception? Obviously not. The sperm and egg cells are alive before conception. Life began on this planet about 3 billion years ago and has continued to evolve in an unbroken chain since then. A woman is born with all the egg cells she will have her whole life. Therefore one of the two cells I came from dates back to my mother's birth in 1949. I guess I'm older than I thought.

Now that cloning technology exists, almost any cell can be grown into a potential life. That undermines the argument that a cell is a person. I stick with the legal definition which is that you become a person when you are born alive.

Also you mentioned that the embryo has a fully formed brain .But measurable brainwaves (a minimal standard for thought or consciousness which even animals possess, much less personhood which suggests an even higher standard) do not even exist until after 25 weeks. Incase you want my source i'll let you have the link !! I don't need to see it in pregnant women , nurses etc ..........i I prefer going with scientfic proof !!!

And looks like you and i have something else to disagree on again !!😆
And in case you don't want to add anymore to this , no body is making you . I was correcting the facts , just like you were !!😊

indygirl,

I don't take any delight in disagreeing with you. It's just that you stated something gravely incorrect (about no heartbeat till 2nd trimester) so I thought of correcting your fact.

Now as for the links you provided, I have read that type of research work before. The findings listed in that article are still not accurate and it is what pro-abortion doctors, scientists and people believe. Similarly what I stated (from several other articles) is what anti-abortion people believe (though I am not pro or anti abortion). Both are still assumptions and doctors or scientists have not succeeded in proving either accurate.

Actually this is not a debate. It's I am correct.. I am correct kind of argument. I don't think when I added my bit, I was impolite in anyway but your reply to my post at some places is plain rude.

And yes!! you were not correcting my facts. The fact is that both of us only have some articles with assumptions. Whereas I was indeed providing you with the correct fact about heartbeats.
BluePink , it seems like feelings are mutual . I found your response very curt!!Although I had no intentions to apear rude ,i too wanted to merely correct your facts as well. I realised my first trimester , heart beat was incorrect , and admited to it in the above post . I explained what i was getting at !! And yes i agree that we both have read facts that are quoted by pro choice and pro lifers !!! I too am not either one of them !!Edited by indygirl - 18 years ago